RCL Stock Ownership

808lady

Good morning!  If you own RCL stock would you mind sharing what you think about your investment and whether you would recommend someone else purchase now.  If you would recommend it, what would you think is a good price point to buy.  Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Without knowing the rest of your investments and your financial goals and constraints, I would not begin to offer you investment advice.  And any investment advice you receive from anonymous Cruise Critic posters isn’t worth the paper it’s printed on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

For some, it’s an investment.  Good price?  Crap shoot.  We got some when it seriously crashed (2008?) because it was $4 a share. Anything now seems high to me in comparison.  LOL. 

For others, keeping 100 shares locked away regardless of the value, is a reliable way to receive OBC each time you sail on Royal or Celebrity. If you cruise often, the OBC value adds up quickly.  

• Like 1

Right now it would cost about $8200 for 100 shares.  It is rated as bearish 

The benefits are 

• $250 Onboard Credit per Stateroom on Sailings of 14 or more nights
  • $100 Onboard Credit per Stateroom on Sailings of 6 to 13 nights
  • $50 Onboard Credit per Stateroom on Sailings of 5 nights or less
  • Applicable on any eligible Royal Caribbean International or Celebrity Cruises voyage.
  • Excludes any charter or Galapagos sailings
  • Royal Caribbean Group will no longer honor Shareholder Onboard Credit requests for Azamara received on or after March 19, 2021 as this brand is no longer part of the group.

Benefit is non-transferable and not available to employees, agents of Royal Caribbean Group or its subsidiaries and affiliates, travel agents and tour operators. Benefit is not combinable with interline rates, travel agent rates, and employee friends and family rates. Benefit cannot be redeemed for chartered sailings, any Galapagos sailings or complimentary sailings.

There are restrictions and sometimes you may not get it for cruises booked with other promos.   I had 3 cruises recently and it was denied on 1 for not being combinable with another promo.   Don’t know what the promo was as all 3 were in a SS.   

if you feel it is worth and can afford investing $8200 for some SBC that is non refundable go for it.  

I bought $100 shares for $3900 using the money I got refunded from a cruise that was the last cruise for the Reflection in Mar 2000.   We sailed 4 days and was fully refunded plus other perks.    It was a good deal for me as  that money was already planned to be spent and gone.  

On paper I doubled my money but so far have only received two. $50 SBC for two. 5 day cruises.    I did not purchase the stock  for the  benefits.   It is just a little bonus for me was using the “fun money”compliments of Celebrity.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 2

Back when RCL issued dividends, I thought it wasn't a bad deal.  But investing $8200 to get $100 in OBC per 7 day cruise doesn't seem to be worth it for me.  It may be worth it to you.  Covid may be gone tomorrow and may never come back.  Then I may be sorry I didn't invest in the stock. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 808lady said:

Good morning!  If you own RCL stock would you mind sharing what you think about your investment and whether you would recommend someone else purchase now.  If you would recommend it, what would you think is a good price point to buy.  Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Now CC is being asked for personal investment advice.  My thought is to call Schwab.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, 808lady said:

Obviously, as cheap as you can get it. But I would think it would also come down to how many times you plan on cruising with Celebrity for say the next 10 years and, more importantly, is it really worth it to you to tie up $8,000+ for an extended period of time just to reap the OBC perks, regardless of whether the stock goes up or down?

We bought ours back in Apr 2020 when the stock dropped below $30 a share, due to the rise of C19, which pretty much made our decision a no-brainer. But at $80+ a share, I'm not so sure we would have. But, as others above have stated, it's all about your personal finances. 

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, 808lady said:

I’m very happy with my investment so far, since it’s gained about 50 % since I bought the shares during the pandemic. For me it’s mostly about the long term value, but the OBC is of course a welcome extra perk. 

Should you by now? Impossible to say, all depends on your appetite for risk and your investment horizon. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Quarantined said:

I’m very happy with my investment so far, since it’s gained about 50 % since I bought the shares during the pandemic. For me it’s mostly about the long term value, but the OBC is of course a welcome extra perk. 

Should you by now? Impossible to say, all depends on your appetite for risk and your investment horizon. 

I bought it at $20 and change, very pleased with my investment 

• Like 2

I had bought the shares for a couple of reasons.  The shares were oversold, paid a 4% dividend and I was able to use it a few times to receive OBC.  I would advise doing some careful research before investing. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 808lady said:

It's worked very well for us. We bought at $22 a share in 2013. To date have had $4400 in OBC. Never been had an application refused even when we did a charter. Have had around $1300 in dividends. Would we buy now at $80 probably  not. Especially since I don't expect Royal to pay dividends any time soon and unless X drops the AI pricing and Royal reverts to going competitive in the Med we won't be doing nearly as many Royal/Celebrity cruises.

• Like 2

We bought the standard 100 shares of Royal, Carnival and NCL back in April 2020 when they were all down.  RCCL was about $30 at the time so I have made some money.  Happy with the uptick.  It's a small part of my portfolio and I will just hang on to them for the OBC.

I hope to cruise more in the near future (as we all do!!).

• Like 1

I am a dividend girl, but feel you can do a lot better with other stocks; however, if the 8,100 is just chunk change that's different.  At least wait until it comes down in price.  Hopefully, with all the new ships and ex-Covid, it could possibly go up quite a lot.  I guess you need to ask yourself why you want to own it and what other stock might serve your purpose in a better way.  Whatever you do, buy it yourself without any fees.  

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, LGW59 said:

Now CC is being asked for personal investment advice.  My thought is to call Schwab.

My Schwab guy was cool with 100 shares when we bought @$70 but wished I would have thought of it when it was $40!

• Like 1

I bought mine in the mid 10s after the cruise stocks crashed during the pandemic. Already got 1/3 of the initial investment back in OBC as well as a 500% increase in the stock price itself.

Would I buy now? Probably not but who am I to tell? Just a random schmuck on the internet.

We bought at $40 years ago and have paid for that with OBC's over the years.  However, I wish I had sold it when it was $135 beg of 2020 I think.  When RCL announced they were suspending all sailings mid March 2020, I believe it tanked at $19.25.  Wish I had bought more then!  Isn't hindsight amazing?

2 hours ago, miamibob51 said:

My Schwab guy was cool with 100 shares when we bought @$70 but wished I would have thought of it when it was $40!

When it was at $16, I purchased 100 shares.  My financial advisor questioned it, especially after it dropped to $5.  Hindsight, I should have purchased more.  😉