Half Moon Cay or Princess Cay?

EllieinNJ

Have been to Half Moon Cay three times and one scheduled port stop was canceled at the last minute due to high winds. Was just there on Tuesday, January 11th, 2022.The place is beautiful and the water is crystal clear.We had a nice lunch at the Lobster Shack. Due to Covid, the Bahamian Government refused to allow employees who live on Eleuthera to work on Half Moon Cay that day. All shore excursions were canceled and no passengers were allowed to rent cabanas or houses on the island that day. We arrived around 8:00AM and left on time at 3:00PM.

• Like 3

I've been to both and rented a cabana on both. HMC's cabanas (not the villas) are rustic and relaxing.  The cabanas on PC have doors that can be shut which was helpful when a storm passed through.  Both HMC and PC were great but if I had to choose, I would choose HMC.  Have a great cruise!

• Like 3

Princess Cays is a very nice beach.  Half Moon Cay is the most amazing beach I've ever been to!  The secret to enjoying Half Moon Cay's perfection is to walk down past the Pirate Ship bar where there's no seaweed, coral, shells or rocks in the water.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, EllieinNJ said:

Looking at some April cruises on the Legend.  Some go to Half Moon Cay and some go to Princess Cay.  Which do you prefer?

If everything works out we'll visit HMC for the first time on our 2/20 cruise and then I'll have an answer.

21 minutes ago, EllieinNJ said:

Thanks everyone.  So we just booked the April 3rd Legend that goes to Half Moon Cay.  Only 8 weeks to go and not one person posted in a roll call.  Hope we are not sailing by ourselves.

I doubt that you will be. Our roll call for the 20th has picked up somewhat (although still slow) but the one on the site that shall not be named is very robust.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, EllieinNJ said:

Thanks everyone.  So we just booked the April 3rd Legend that goes to Half Moon Cay.  Only 8 weeks to go and not one person posted in a roll call.  Hope we are not sailing by ourselves.

It's the same for our March 13 cruise on Legend (no Roll Call posted).  That's Spring Break week for Virginia schools, so I highly doubt we are cruising alone.  LOL!  Maybe people are just shy?

Have a great cruise!

• Like 1

So we just got off Freedom on Saturday, which tendered at Princess Cay.  Having been to HMC a number of times, I was not overly impressed with Princess Cay.  Beach was pretty rocky.  I definitely think HMC is the way to go if given a choice of itineraries.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, EllieinNJ said:

15 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

I doubt that you will be. Our roll call for the 20th has picked up somewhat (although still slow) but the one on the site that shall not be named is very robust.

I'm on Legend March 27 and agree the unnamed site is where the action is. 

Been to both and HMC is wonderful, but I also give high marks for Princess Cay, I go to right after you get on island and gets you away from the crowds and easy to walk out to the local bar and gift shops is you shop.  the bar has Kalik which is one of my favorites.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, pe4all said:

So we just got off Freedom on Saturday, which tendered at Princess Cay.  Having been to HMC a number of times, I was not overly impressed with Princess Cay.  Beach was pretty rocky.  I definitely think HMC is the way to go if given a choice of itineraries.  

Just to clarify that the beach itself isn't bad but there are a lot of rocks in the water. Water shoes are a plus (and of course we forgot to pack ours last time).

As most people said HMC. That doesn't mean PC is a bad beach. In fact, the overall experience has a lot of similarities between both beaches. Many people seem to really enjoy the restaurant at PC. 

HMC is just absolutely gorgeous. It's rare to have such a gorgeous beach, accessible to this many people. Many similar beaches require more expensive cruises, long taxi rides, etc. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

We were just talking about HMC and DW asked me a question that I'm not sure of the answer. Do they have life jackets for kids to use? We'll have our step-granddaughter with us and she wants her to wear one if she's in the ocean.

We saw life jackets to rent at both ports.  If unsure, it might be worthwhile buying one just in case.

12 minutes ago, pe4all said:

We saw life jackets to rent at both ports.  If unsure, it might be worthwhile buying one just in case.

We did talk about it but since we're flying to the port we're hesitant to do that. As long as they are available I don't mind a rental fee.