St. Petersburg -potential substitutions?

lionheart

23 minutes ago, jacobtsf said:

Just got this from RCI about our August cruise

701FE785-6E29-43F9-8BA1-6476D5281FDD.jpeg

Yes we just received the same email.  Thank you for posting. We will probably cancel and go somewhere else. Not a good time to be in the Baltics.

Edited by Texas Flood

So many views and opinions to respond to on this board.

We went to SPB in 2016, and out of all of my 21 years of cruising, it was my absolute favorite. I always hoped to return, but now I will never go again.

Yes, I feel so very sorry for the common Russian people, because they too, will suffer. But what the government has done to the Ukraine and the World Order is unforgivable, and is something I will never support.

To those who feel that Putin will stop here, read your history of the  1930’s.

To those who feel that Talin and Riga are safe, look at a map.
In fact on our  2016 private tour of Talin, our local  guide was very fearful of the Russians, and their future as a sovereign  country.

On a lighter note, we spent 3 days in Stockholm. A very interesting and pleasant city. If you go, make sure to see the Vasa Museum.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, jacobtsf said:

Can I check your thoughts on one of these stipulations.  My Voyager of the Seas booking is using some left over Cruise with Confidence money ( £900) from the original cruise from August 2021.  When they talk about Your certificates will have an expiration date of 1 year from your cruise's original start date - are they referring to that original August 2021 cruise or this one in August 2022.  It would be a tall order for me to find another cruise in such a short time frame??  Thanks to anyone who can help. 

2 hours ago, jacobtsf said:

Oh so interesting that you got that email from RCCL.

We are booked on a 7 day from Stockholm (with an overnight in St Petersburg) sailing on June 26 and have not received any correspondence from them.

I wonder what tomorrow will bring..

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Texas Flood said:

Yes we just received the same email.  Thank you for posting. We will probably cancel and go somewhere else. Not a good time to be in the Baltics.

We've cancelled for the past two years - I really do not want to cancel again.  😞

We are on Voyager in May. Also twice canceled (the first time was Italy 2020, but now they don’t sail out of Venice, so we switched to this one). Really torn. We’d be fine if it goes forward without STB, but there is also a good chance this war will escalate Northwards and obviously we wouldn’t want to be cruising then.

I haven't received an email from Royal but did get the nearly identical email from Celebrity that is below.  Unfortunately, I think it is just a matter of time before Royal pulls the plug on all Russian port calls this year. 

February 24th, 2022

Dear Valued Travel Advisors,

We are continuously monitoring events taking place around the world, including the situation in Ukraine. With recent events, we are evaluating whether or not we will be able to visit St. Petersburg, Russia, as scheduled.

At this time, our intention is to sail to St. Petersburg; however, we also have plans to visit alternate ports, should we feel that changing our itinerary is the best path forward for booked guests. As our Travel Partner, you will be the first to know should we decide to formally change our itinerary. We understand that the developments in the region may make your clients hesitant to sail to Russia, so we would like to share some options to ensure their vacation experience is everything they’ve planned and more.

Your clients may choose from the following options:

• Remain on this sailing, knowing that our plans will always have their safety as our number one priority, including alternate routes for safe travel.
  • As always, you have Cruise with Confidence available for your clients, where they can opt-in for a Future Cruise Credit to be used on another sailing.
    • If they previously applied a Global Suspension Future Cruise Credit on this sailing, the new Cruise with Confidence credit will include the previous credit that was based on their cruise fare. The bonus 25% will be issued as a separate credit.
    • Their certificates will have an expiration date of 1 year from their cruise’s original start date.
  • And should they wish to change their ship and sail date at prevailing rate, we’ll gladly help to switch and waive any change fees for their cruise.

Additionally, if we do end up changing one of your clients itineraries, we’ll offer your client the opportunity to cancel for a full refund. If you receive a notification (sample below) notifying you that your client's sailing may be impacted and have any questions or wish to move your clients to a new ship and sail date, please feel free to contact Celebrity Cruises at 1-844-418-6824 in North America or (316) 554-5961 worldwide.

Thank you for your understanding and patience. We look forward to welcoming your clients onboard soon.

Sincerely,
Celebrity Cruises

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, mugtech said:

We cancelled our Baltic cruise because We do not want to do anything to benefit Russia in any way.  We were looking at a NCL transpacific, but since it stops in Russia on the way to Japan we will be passing on that cruise.

That is how I feel as well (and have done for some time). In September I was on a cruise that totally skipped Russia in favor of Visby on Gotland. No tears on my part.

We also got the letter.  To be honest I am really dissapointed with RCI that the current thinking is to have a Plan B but still hope to go to Russia.  Even though we booked primarily so my husband, who missed seeing lvoely St Petersburg while ill on a cruise in 2015, could visit St Petersburg, we want that port cancelled now.  I think RCI need to be informing Russia that no revenue will be coming in from their ships this year.  Full stop.  Hopefully they rethink this and take a stance within the next few days.

• Like 5

We enjoyed a wonderful 14 day cruise through the Baltics in 2018. Spent our 40th Anniversary in Estonia which was then only 14 years a independent country. It was an amazing cruise. I'm glad we went as the people were kind, the cultures were interesting but I could not return now. Putin has ruined so many lives. It's really sad. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jacobtsf said:

Well, we just switched over our cruise, not fully comfortable cruising near Russia right now (let alone in it). 

Instead we will be taking the 12 night British Isles Cruise out of Amsterdam 

Wishing you all the best 🛳🛳

On 2/25/2022 at 1:38 AM, dritan said:

Can I check your thoughts on one of these stipulations.  My Voyager of the Seas booking is using some left over Cruise with Confidence money ( £900) from the original cruise from August 2021.  When they talk about Your certificates will have an expiration date of 1 year from your cruise's original start date - are they referring to that original August 2021 cruise or this one in August 2022.  It would be a tall order for me to find another cruise in such a short time frame??  Thanks to anyone who can help. 

They refer to the original date August 2021, so FCC valid until Dec 31. 2022.

We took a 12 night baltivs cruise a few years ago. It was an amazing cruise and there is no doubt st petersburg was the highlight. However , there were many other interesting,  beautiful ports to visit. Would I book a baltics cruise without st. Petersburg? Absolutely 100% - so many other ports to visit. And I will never resist st. Petersburg nor anywhere in Russia ever again , while Putin or one of his cronies is in power. I do feel sorry for the Russian people who I doubt very much want anything to do with this type of thing .

Gorbachev will be turning in his grave.

• Like 4

From Marc Walker, the BingBong cruise director:

Good Morning everyone. It’s been a terrifying few days and nights for our Ukrainian friends. On board we have 22 crew from Ukraine, 11 of which are on my team. Emotions are high, and we are doing all we can to help them. They want to be home with their families, some want to fight for their country, but cannot leave. One of my crew’s brother is in the military and was shot 2 nights ago, but he fortunately survived. This crew member carried on working by choice, and put 110% in while worrying about his brother and his country. The company and our team are doing everything within our power to support them. My team are incredible, all supporting one another during this horrible time. Please think of them and pray for them.
Thank you.
  • Like 10

On 2/23/2022 at 6:16 PM, DragonOfTheSeas said:

Our final payment is 90 days for a July 31 Voyager of the Seas cruise.  So, payment is due around the 1st of May. We feel by then we will have some idea if Covid is still going down and SPB is open to visitors/or not.  Of course, the Ukraine situation makes all bets off. 

We are on this cruise as well RC sent an email letting us know St. Petersburg may be cancelled , they're working on options  and of course the option to cancel or rebook.  Its nice they're being very proactive and looking forward to our options, really hoping for Norway.  Poland may be to close for comfort depending on current events.

• Like 1

On 2/25/2022 at 7:38 AM, Goodtimes57 said:

We enjoyed a wonderful 14 day cruise through the Baltics in 2018. Spent our 40th Anniversary in Estonia which was then only 14 years a independent country. It was an amazing cruise. I'm glad we went as the people were kind, the cultures were interesting but I could not return now. Putin has ruined so many lives. It's really sad. 

I would live any tips or pointers, this is supposed to be our first European cruise and not entirely sure what to expect (are there us style outlets, how are in board charges calculated in USD or other currency) and more importantly how easy is it to navigate Visby? We'll be there during the medieval week and really want to experience their "Renaissance faire"

We are supposed to be on the 11 day voyage leaving 6/15. We have had this cruise cancelled 2x.   It is our last family cruise--with my sisters family, our family and my parents.  My dad has been diagnosed with a pretty debilitating disease and we know that this will be the last time he will be able to travel.  So, for us this is a trip we all really want to go on.  I have been looking at the maps.  Does anyone know if a ship the size of Voyager can dock at Warnemunde?  I'd love to have 2 days there and take a trip to Berlin and not worry about a time limit to get back to the ship.  Looks like a stop in Poland would work too.  I think we will be able to make our stops in Tallinn and Riga due to them being part of NATO--but I could be very wrong.

I know Oslo and Amsterdam have been mentioned, but they are both pretty far away.  

Or, RCCL could do a Norwegian Fjord itinerary and scrap the Baltic.  I wish they would let us know what they are thinking so we could decide what is right for trip...

I have looked at other ships as options and saw the Vision doing the Med on similar days.  We could book this as well.  I was going to book our air a few weeks ago, but missed the sale--maybe that was a good thing...

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Protesters in Russia at St, Petersburg

Streets in Ukraine

This just isn't right and here all us are just talking about taking cruises.

Just isn't right !

I am saddened by what is happening in Russia and the Ukraine.  But, I also have a baltic cruise planned and have to figure out what to do about that

Edited by ckmommy
  • Like 1