Wonder of the seas -Downgraded w/out compensation

thecanimal

So I booked my spacious balcony cabins within the first five minutes that booking was available for wonder of the seas inaugural cruise March 4. I booked three rooms next to each other on the bump out, cabins 6192, 6194, 6196. On Friday, one week from embarkation I got a Email saying they had to move our rooms for CDC spacing reasons. They said that the great news was that we would be assigned an like for like room, and receive $100 credit per room for the inconvenience. Of course I immediately called on Friday and was told nothing could be done until my room was assigned. I was assured I would get an equal or better cabin for all of us . Well today I got an email at 11 AM this morning that we have been reassigned to regular oceanview balcony, on the same deck but on the starboard side instead of the port side. I paid for three large balconies and they gave me three small balconies, and thought they were OK with it. So I spent three hours on the phone today, and the customer resolutions person told me they had spoken with revenue department and the loyal department and there was nothing they could do ? I insisted on speaking with somebody in one of those departments, because the customer resolution person did not seem to have much authority. I am currently waiting to hear what compensation I am entitled to. If I wanted a small balcony room I would’ve bought a small balcony room and save myself $1000. They told me I would get it like for like room and I did not.  Currently no solution has been forthcoming. Three days before the cruise and they change my cabin to a cabin I did not want. Again I booked these rooms the first five minutes of availability, and they were much more expensive than the regular Oceanview balconies, yet there’s no compensation . Hoping for the best but not looking good

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, thecanimal said:

So I booked my spacious balcony cabins within the first five minutes that booking was available for wonder of the seas inaugural cruise March 4. I booked three rooms next to each other on the bump out, cabins 6192, 6194, 6196. On Friday, one week from embarkation I got a Email saying they had to move our rooms for CDC spacing reasons. They said that the great news was that we would be assigned an like for like room, and receive $100 credit per room for the inconvenience. Of course I immediately called on Friday and was told nothing could be done until my room was assigned. I was assured I would get an equal or better cabin for all of us . Well today I got an email at 11 AM this morning that we have been reassigned to regular oceanview balcony, on the same deck but on the starboard side instead of the port side. I paid for three large balconies and they gave me three small balconies, and thought they were OK with it. So I spent three hours on the phone today, and the customer resolutions person told me they had spoken with revenue department and the loyal department and there was nothing they could do ? I insisted on speaking with somebody in one of those departments, because the customer resolution person did not seem to have much authority. I am currently waiting to hear what compensation I am entitled to. If I wanted a small balcony room I would’ve bought a small balcony room and save myself $1000. They told me I would get it like for like room and I did not.  Currently no solution has been forthcoming. Three days before the cruise and they change my cabin to a cabin I did not want. Again I booked these rooms the first five minutes of availability, and they were much more expensive than the regular Oceanview balconies, yet there’s no compensation . Hoping for the best but not looking good

Someone was willing to bid more than you paid. Sorry!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Ps. If I find out that somebody else is in the room that I paid for, I will have to assume they kick me out of my room to get more money out of somebody else, as I have never heard of any CDC ruling on how to spread people out amongst floors. I would settle for one free drink package it would be about the difference in price between paying for a spacious Oceanview cabin and a regular Oceanview cabin, but mostly I wanted a large balcony, that’s why I booked it, and paid for in full. The difference in  value and utility of a regular balcony vs. large balcony to me is huge. Same principle as if they move you from the grand suite to an interior cabin and say oh well nothing we can do, CDC says we had to move you. Anybody else get the same email telling you you had to move for CDC reasons? You moved to an equal room? This just doesn’t sit right with me at all.

• Like 4

I’m sorry this is happening to you (though the comparison of your decrease balcony size to GS to interior cabin is overly hyperbolic).  I think you deserve some compensation or, if you really feels it will ruin your experience, the right to cancel.

They have closed off entire sections on some ships. For example, we just disembarked Harmony…..much of deck 6 port and starboard forward/mid were closed to passengers.  It is possible they need to do similar on Wonder, impacting your former cabins

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

During the height of Omicron I know of several ship reports that said deck 6 was being used for quarantine cabins. Maybe this is still the case? 

No matter the reason I’d be upset too. I hope it works out for you!

Deck 6 was the covid deck on our trip on Odyssey in January, and the people in our party who had cabins there got moved - but to a better cabin, not a worse one.  I'm so sorry this happened. 

1 hour ago, thecanimal said:

So I booked my spacious balcony cabins within the first five minutes that booking was available for wonder of the seas inaugural cruise March 4. I booked three rooms next to each other on the bump out, cabins 6192, 6194, 6196. On Friday, one week from embarkation I got a Email saying they had to move our rooms for CDC spacing reasons. They said that the great news was that we would be assigned an like for like room, and receive $100 credit per room for the inconvenience. 

Sorry to hear this happened to you.  We feel your pain.  RCCL reduced our 5-day sailing on the Mariner for January 2023 to only 4 days and are only offering $50 OBC per cabin and not rebating a portion of the paid cruise fare, for which we paid for 5 nights.  I feel your pain and hope you get a more satisfactory resolution.

• Like 2

Is your sailing filled up or are there still cabins available?    Are there are any regular cabins available now at cheaper price than what you paid?    If so, maybe ask for a reprice and switch to the lower priced cabins if they cannot give you the original cabins you booked.

Are you on the maiden voyage?   

Maybe they have some higher ups from corporate or TA's they are putting in your original cabin.    doesn't make it right but it does happen.  

Just received word nothing can be done , no compensation. I paid extra for large balcony , moved to reg . Ocean view, I paid $120 extra per person for Large balcony , and 4 days before cruise downgraded, no compensation… spent all day on phone … thought Judy in Loyality resolutions was going to bat for me.. she says she spoke with management, rooms similar enough, no compensation 

5 minutes ago, thecanimal said:

Just received word nothing can be done , no compensation. I paid extra for large balcony , moved to reg . Ocean view, I paid $120 extra per person for Large balcony , and 4 days before cruise downgraded, no compensation… spent all day on phone … thought Judy in Loyality resolutions was going to bat for me.. she says she spoke with management, rooms similar enough, no compensation 

I am so sorry for you, I know this not fair to you. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, thecanimal said:

I would definitely be checking to see if there are cruisers in the original cabins.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, thecanimal said:

It might be worth speaking to Guest Services and/or loyalty desk once on board.  If there price were less at the time of booking for what you received compared to what you reserved, that would be reasonable.  Even then it'd suck not getting what you wanted and planned for.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thecanimal said:

I have never heard of any CDC ruling on how to spread people out amongst floors. 

CDC may not say that directly, but RCI has done that (put aside certain cabins and move folks out of them if needed - for COVID reasons) since the restart. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, thecanimal said:

Cancel

• Like 2

1 hour ago, klfrodo said:

I would definitely be checking to see if there are cruisers in the original cabins.

Id be willing to bet that those rooms will be occupied. They did something similar to this before. I got no satisfaction until I posted on Royals fb page. I actually got a call from Royal after I posted on fb. I got a similar room 1 deck higher and a couple cabins over. Sure enough the cabin was occupied even after they assured me it would be empty

• Like 3

2 hours ago, fredmdcruisers said:

Cancel

😳 It’s the inaugural cruise. I doubt they would want to cancel.

@thecanimal Sorry to hear this. It sucks.

5 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Is your sailing filled up or are there still cabins available?    Are there are any regular cabins available now at cheaper price than what you paid?   

The only category left is suites for the first cruise. Hopefully they will do right by them. I was hoping to get the same room for the first cruise as the next two with no luck since I hate changing cabins. I was checking daily and sometimes twice a day with no luck. I think it’s going to be a full ship.

• Like 1