Why Bother with a Travel Agent?

12 hours ago, deliver42 said:

There's no reason to use a TA if there isn't a good incentive.I  rarely use on unless there is a great dal. 

I have to disagree, there is also the service aspect.  My TA is worth more to me in the service she provides than any available discount with a larger firm.  I realize those options are not mutually exclusive but I'm loyal to her, she's earned it.

Edited by DeanD
  • Like 3

42 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

You also have to remember that the actual agent only gets a percentage of the overall commission.  It's split up down the line.

All the more reason to believe that bookings in the "cheap seats" will most likely not to result in much if any benefit in booking through a TA vs one's control over the booking. For those that do reap big bucks in OBC by booking suites etc. from their TA I certainly would do likewise but as a solo cruiser it doesn't make sense for me to book those accommodations.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, zebra36 said:

No basis for disputing this, however, assuming a 15%(?) commission, on inside or just OV cabins I cannot picture someone giving up 2/3 of their revenue on these bookings. JMHO

BTW, I do book these type of cabins on my own but never saw much of a benefit in going through a TA. I am guessing that the folks posting here re: very generous $500-$750 in OBC plus other goodies from their TA are booking very nice accommodations.

Not always true. I am one that mentioned I  am getting $750 cashback on a future cruise from my TA and we only have a balcony cabin. It is a 21 night cruise and by doing pre paid grats and insurance we moved up from $500 cashback to $750 cashback and we were going to do the grats eventually and insurance anyhow. 

10 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

FWIW, perks and rebates are nice, but service is just as important 👌 

When you have one that solves your issues and goes to bat for you, it's priceless.

We had a ton of cruises cancelled during Covid, and I never waited on line with Royal once.

This is the same for us.  Honestly, I'm not sure I'd want one that is giving away tons of his commission back to me in OBC.  My theory is if he's that quick to give up his money, how quick will he be to give up on mine when there is a problem with the cruise line.  

Everyone is different but, like you, for me the value is in the instantaneous response to communication, willingness and ability to problem solve, the knowledge of cruise line rules so you don't end up with problems in the first place and taking care of the mundane parts of a booking.

While I'm sure I didn't have anywhere near the number of pandemic cancelled cruises you did I still had a few.  The total minutes I spent on hold on the phone with Royal was zero. Total number frustrations I had because I was dealing with a poorly trained CSR was zero.  And finally the amount of money I lost because things didn't go as expected with FCC or refunds etc. is zero.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, swmichigan cruiser said:

Not always true. I am one that mentioned I  am getting $750 cashback on a future cruise from my TA and we only have a balcony cabin. It is a 21 night cruise and by doing pre paid grats and insurance we moved up from $500 cashback to $750 cashback and we were going to do the grats eventually and insurance anyhow. 

I guess the point I was trying to make was these large(?) $ OBC and other benefits are based on $'s spent( which makes sense) and a 3 week cruise in a balcony cabin would hardly compare to the cost of a typical 7 or a bit longer cruise in an inside or OV cabin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, fredmdcruisers said:

I am not a TA but always use one. If not, you are leaving money on the table every cruise. Someone said they don't care about obc??? It's money! Change them up once in awhile or play 2 against each other to get the most $. Or use that site with compete in the name to be sure of lowest price and best obc.

the compete is how i lucked into my ta. but now i wonder if i should put in new bids or if he will see me cheating on him

• Haha 1

I have been cruising since 2008 and have booked every cruise online myself. Never in 14 years have I waited 2 hours on the phone if I had to call them about something. In fact I think honk the longest I have ever had to wait was 15 minutes. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, zebra36 said:

No basis for disputing this, however, assuming a 15%(?) commission, on inside or just OV cabins I cannot picture someone giving up 2/3 of their revenue on these bookings. JMHO

BTW, I do book these type of cabins on my own but never saw much of a benefit in going through a TA. I am guessing that the folks posting here re: very generous $500-$750 in OBC plus other goodies from their TA are booking very nice accommodations.

probably true. my total all in fare is 5800 and i get back 500

last october fare was 6135 and i got back 650. you can do the math to figure out the percents. 

while  i do like obc, my agent outright gives me a discount on the NCL cruises. so theres apparently some kind of rule that he doesnt do that with royal.

I have used TA's twice. The first time I had to cancel because of Covid, I had booked 2 cabins through a TA and one direct. On the ones booked through the TA I had to pay something like $ 70.00 fee's for each booking, the booking direct I got all my deposit back. The second time there was a lot of forward and back with name spelled wrong and similar petty things. That was a Royal Caribbean cruise, I booked 2 cruises 3 cabins each. When I had to cancel one cruise I wasn't going to get my deposit back and finally was supposed to get a FCC instead, still has not happened (6 or 7 months now). I have several bookings directly with Costa and have a lady's extension in the US-office, she could not be more helpful. I actually deal with her now also including my friends reservation which was through a TA where she is not getting any calls returned. I have one booking with MSC direct because I couldn't get the one rate I wanted work on their website and again have her Extension and she has helped me more then any of my TA's ever. But again maybe I have just been unlucky or my cheap cabins are the problem. Right now I saved $ 1500 on one cruise and $ 4500 on a second cruise all on my own.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, zebra36 said:

$100 is still money.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, fredmdcruisers said:

Where do find $200 cruises?

4 NIGHT

Bahamas & Perfect Day Cruise

LEAVING FROM:Orlando (Port Canaveral), Florida, onboard Independence of the Seas

VISITING:Orlando (Port Canaveral), Florida | Cruising | Nassau, Bahamas | Perfect Day at CocoCay, Bahamas | Orlando (Port Canaveral), Florida

from USD*$ 170Avg Pe
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, luckyinpa said:

the compete is how i lucked into my ta. but now i wonder if i should put in new bids or if he will see me cheating on him

It's just keeping him honest if by some chance his company has the opportunity to bid on your cruise.

I stumbled across mine the same way years ago and the frustration with me is the disparity in the discounts given depending upon the cruise line.  Have had many 10+% discounts but recently got 200 bucks discounted on a just over 4000.00 cruise, resulting in a less than stellar under 5% leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

I actually met my wonderful TA while on a cruise (at an "Ask the Captain" session, I think).  I had just had my first experience with a TA on an expensive Alaska cruise and was very disillusioned.  I decided to try them for a family cruise that required several cabins and have been thrilled with their service ever since.  We have benefited from group rates,  OBC and refundable deposits on every cruise we've booked with them.  They have a system that checks for price drops and we have take advantage of those several times.  They are extremely responsive, even for minor requests like dining time changes.

• Like 2

We do not use TA's. We book direct. Since we are stockholders, we get the stockholder's OBC allowance. We have had no trouble checking on revised pricing with RCG (Royal and Celebrity). Our friends in Nebraska always uses a travel agent. They have had more problems than I can count with their reservations. I tell them to book direct and they always say it is 'too difficult'. Oh well.

11 minutes ago, baldilocks said:

We do not use TA's. We book direct. Since we are stockholders, we get the stockholder's OBC allowance. We have had no trouble checking on revised pricing with RCG (Royal and Celebrity). Our friends in Nebraska always uses a travel agent. They have had more problems than I can count with their reservations. I tell them to book direct and they always say it is 'too difficult'. Oh well.

Your friends can book direct by calling RC bypassing the travel agent. 

They will take the order same as a travel agent.

I phone in my order after i select a cruise and cabin. 

I would think they would help in  the selection .

On 3/17/2022 at 9:24 PM, luckyinpa said:

boy that sounds like a bad agency OP.  i got 650 obc for my last october cruise and 500 for this may's cruise on oasis. i require nothing other than him booking me and wouldnt even know what other services he offers. but i'm happy with the price and do everything else myself. i get insurance thru tripinsurancestore which is cheaper and better coverage anyway. 

on the most recent booking i made my cruise went down just 40 bucks and i emailed him and got the pricing. but i dont mind monitoring my own stuff. my cabin has increased substantially since booking and i'm lucky to have gotten what i got

What kind of room did you book that had a 650 obc that the agent secured for you? And. What cabin on the oasis with the 500 obc?