Queens Grill - Ordering Off-menu

WestonOne

2 hours ago, scamper said:

Filet mignon Lili.  A beef filet sauteed in butter with a wine sauce reduction of veal demi glace, Madiera, malaga, tomato paste, and cognac.  Garnished with slices of truffle and foie gras served over Potatoes Anna with artichoke hearts.  Decadent and beyond delicious.

Have copied and will give it a try in Britannia some evening on the QM2 world cruise assuming it is run as planned and the second seating allows for the same table and same wait staff every evening. Hard to get close to the wait staff when they run the dining room like an apple "b's.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, scamper said:

Filet mignon Lili.  A beef filet sauteed in butter with a wine sauce reduction of veal demi glace, Madiera, malaga, tomato paste, and cognac.  Garnished with slices of truffle and foie gras served over Potatoes Anna with artichoke hearts.  Decadent and beyond delicious.

I know what Filet Mignon is and dont like artichoke hearts and certainly wouldnt touch foie gras with a bargepole for ethical reasons so it would not be decadent or delicious for me.

Edited by majortom10
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

I know what Filet Mignon is and dont like artichoke hearts and certainly wouldnt touch foie gras with a bargepole for ethical reasons so it would not be decadent or delicious for me.

I'm a bit basic and call it fillet steak, which we often have onboard. I'm with you all the way as far as Foie Gras is concerned and I'm not keen on artichokes. I'm not too fussed about anything to do with veal either, so a small fillet steak, rare or blue, with peppercorn sauce on the side, fries and a salad sounds great. 

Yum but after the first order of the cruise,  a big bowl of fries is brought as a few tablemates seems to want to tuck into them no matter what dish has been ordered. 🙂

• Like 1

I do so much love talking about onboard steaks whether it be in Cunard's  grills, on an Oceania ship or, God forbid, pure Carnival.

Of course I enjoy a fillet Steak: Indeed, as a retired Restauranteur, a variation for some time my signature dish.

For preference, the equally fulfilling, Prime Rib.

One should see it on Cunard without having to make a special order, particularly on trans Atlantic crossings.

God forbid having any quality steak with any sauce though: just love it rare where the taste is in the juices.

And this is where both Oceania and Carnival have the edge when sailing out of US ports...

1569336089_PrimeRib.thumb.jpg.19f553be86507aaf553132c51e1275a9.jpg

...and Carnival Dream's Crimson standard restaurant...

1120533893_PrimeRib.thumb.jpg.7396c14d516c6e1b70116b6aa224ac6c.jpg

3 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Okay, well...sad for you, but more for me.

2 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

I do so much love talking about onboard steaks whether it be in Cunard's  grills, on an Oceania ship or, God forbid, pure Carnival.

Of course I enjoy a fillet Steak: Indeed, as a retired Restauranteur, a variation for some time my signature dish.

For preference, the equally fulfilling, Prime Rib.

One should see it on Cunard without having to make a special order, particularly on trans Atlantic crossings.

God forbid having any quality steak with any sauce though: just love it rare where the taste is in the juices.

And this is where both Oceania and Carnival have the edge when sailing out of US ports...

1569336089_PrimeRib.thumb.jpg.19f553be86507aaf553132c51e1275a9.jpg

...and Carnival Dream's Crimson standard restaurant...

1120533893_PrimeRib.thumb.jpg.7396c14d516c6e1b70116b6aa224ac6c.jpg

Sorry I like my steaks dead.

• 4 months later...

It was a long time ago I started this, but to let those know who were interested.  I did order the shirred eggs for breakfast.  After I had spelled the name for him, my waiter went to the kitchen and came back to let me know they could make them, but warned me they would be a very long time.  So I said that was fine, I would have something else that day, but would like to order it for the next day.  I also offered to phone ahead about half an hour before breakfast to let them start preparations, but they did not take me up on the offer.

The next day it still took around 20-25 minutes to prepare, but the maitre d' brought it personally and asked if I would like caviar on top, as that is apparently the classic recipe.  All the wait staff were very interested as apparently it has not been a standard on the menu since the QE2 (they told me!) so none of the wait staff had encountered the dish before.  The chefs might, or they might have had to consult their books!

Edited by WestonOne
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, WestonOne said:

It was a long time ago I started this, but to let those know who were interested.  I did order the shirred eggs for breakfast.  After I had spelled the name for him, my waiter went to the kitchen and came back to let me know they could make them, but warned me they would be a very long time.  So I said that was fine, I would have something else that day, but would like to order it for the next day.  I also offered to phone ahead about half an hour before breakfast to let them start preparations, but they did not take me up on the offer.

The next day it still took around 20-25 minutes to prepare, but the maitre d' brought it personally and asked if I would like caviar on top, as that is apparently the classic recipe.  All the wait staff were very interested as apparently it has not been a standard on the menu since the QE2 (they told me!) so none of the wait staff had encountered the dish before.  The chefs might, or they might have had to consult their books!

Great to hear about this. It sounds like a silly thing to say but I am always grateful for those who are keeping the QG off-menu tradition alive!

8 hours ago, WestonOne said:

WestonOne. We’re on QV for a short cruise in November in QG but would have loved to have sailed on the QE2 and indeed the original Queen Mary which we have visited many times.

Shirred eggs are even on a menu from 1900 (not 7pm but the year)!

Can you elaborate on the shirred eggs please?

We would love to try them and keep the tradition alive.

Thank you 

Edited by swjumbo

I don't recall it looking quite so luxurious as the photo posted by @WestonOne in the other thread, but about 60 years ago my mother sometimes served baked eggs, which I think was a relatively cheap way of making a protein rich meal for 6 people with eggs and milk when meat, poultry and fish were expensive. It was placed in a pyrex oven dish and yolks were left intact.

I recall it as being quite tasty.

52 minutes ago, johng75370 said:

@WestonOne did you have to ask for a specific shirred egg (e.g. Josephine), or was it their “house” shirred egg?  Looking to order this when we are in QG in a few weeks.  

My brother in law is a chef and did lend me a book with lots of variations, but I decided to let them pick whatver they chose, so I suppose it was the "house" version. 

It was on the QV in the Queen's grill so the maitre d' will be very excited! 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WestonOne said:

My brother in law is a chef and did lend me a book with lots of variations, but I decided to let them pick whatver they chose, so I suppose it was the "house" version. 

It was on the QV in the Queen's grill so the maitre d' will be very excited! 

Make it all the time for my DW and loves it. Easy and not hard. Just the basic.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

We special ordered shirred eggs on QE recently and they were amazing.  The dish was served with caviar as standard so not a light breakfast by any means!  

I know this thread is somewhat dated, but what other special orders have people made in QG lately?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, texanaust said:

We special ordered shirred eggs on QE recently and they were amazing.  The dish was served with caviar as standard so not a light breakfast by any means!  

I know this thread is somewhat dated, but what other special orders have people made in QG lately?

Never tried to order the Verandah's Wagyu  beef so don't know if you'd get that but you can order just about anything you like as long as the ingredients are on the ship.

Our favourites are Dover Sole,  Crispy Duck but give the staff time to shoot the thing, hang it and cook it 🙂- usually three days, Indian and Chinese evenings and just about anything else which might take our fancy if the menu doesn't suit that night.

We have twice (different voyages) asked if wagyu steak can be served for my husband on QV, and both occasions told this is only possible to have in the Verandah restaurant.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Peking duck ,  and especially any Indian meal are always very  good.

Once felt like something simple , had toothache and no dentist for a few days, asked in morning for Macaroni Cheese, absolutely awful, forgot onions and cheese must have been on ration

6 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

Peking duck ,  and especially any Indian meal are always very  good.

Once felt like something simple , had toothache and no dentist for a few days, asked in morning for Macaroni Cheese, absolutely awful, forgot onions and cheese must have been on ration

I believe it is sometimes a menu item.

7 hours ago, LadyL1 said:

We have twice (different voyages) asked if wagyu steak can be served for my husband on QV, and both occasions told this is only possible to have in the Verandah restaurant.

I'm not at all surprised either. I see from the online menu that an 8oz Wagyu would set you back $75.00 (Cover charge + $30 supplement) 

Surely far better to wait and pick up the real McCoy shoreside (and make do with yet another Dover Sole).

I recall while in New York some years ago, having crossed on Queen Mary 2, I  went the whole hog(?) with a 12oz Kobe Beef while my wife preferred not bankrupting us 😂  by choosing something  a tad cheaper  ....

OldHomesteadKobeBeefandRackofLamb.jpg.3d110bfd79283fec47c4588172d15f12.jpg

It remains to this day the most expensive single dish I have ever devoured, but wow, what an experience.

HomesteadKobeBeefMenu.thumb.jpg.38c0f9fc3dd34fb259c5731d2f1b7119.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1