April 9 Apex Chair Hog Pictorial Reivew

Sam.Seattle

On every Celebrity cruise, I’ll wait the required 45 minutes then remove their belongings and give them to one of the pool attendants. When they return and ask where their belongings were, I tell them the pool attendant has them. I usually get a dirty look, but I just smile and wish them a good day.  One couple I did this to 3 times on the same cruise. They finally got the point. I hate entitled people. 

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

So this chair hog story will make you smile (or not). 

We were on the Retreat Sundeck, lucky enough to bag two sunbeds under a parasol (not a lot of shade on the Sundeck so these beds were very popular). We noticed the two beds next to us had towels and belongings, but no occupants. Three hours went by - no sign of any occupants returning so I mentioned to the attendants that the beds should be cleared for other guests to use (who had been eyeing them enviously). However when the attendant started to clear the belongings, cue loud howls from the hog in the row behind us (you know the type, very loud, likes to share his conversations and opinions with everyone else on the deck) - he had been keeping those for himself and his partner for the afternoon so they could 'lie in the shade and not get sunburned', having been laying out on two other beds (in the sun) all morning. He and his partner then proceeded to move to his 'reserved' beds, leaving all their belongings strewn across the beds they had been using all morning. Clearly this greedy hog believed that as a Suite guest he was entitled to as many beds as he liked.

I'm not sure what is worse - reserving chairs and then not returning, or using two chairs and reserving two more for use later. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, NeroliGirl said:

We were on the Retreat Sundeck, lucky enough to bag two sunbeds under a parasol (not a lot of shade on the Sundeck so these beds were very popular). We noticed the two beds next to us had towels and belongings, but no occupants. Three hours went by - no sign of any occupants returning so I mentioned to the attendants that the beds should be cleared for other guests to use (who had been eyeing them enviously). However when the attendant started to clear the belongings, cue loud howls from the hog in the row behind us (you know the type, very loud, likes to share his conversations and opinions with everyone else on the deck) - he had been keeping those for himself and his partner for the afternoon so they could 'lie in the shade and not get sunburned', having been laying out on two other beds (in the sun) all morning. He and his partner then proceeded to move to his 'reserved' beds, leaving all their belongings strewn across the beds they had been using all morning. Clearly this greedy hog believed that as a Suite guest he was entitled to as many beds as he liked.

I'm not sure what is worse - reserving chairs and then not returning, or using two chairs and reserving two more for use later. 

same mentality!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NeroliGirl said:

The real irony is they will think you were unreasonable not expecting them to reserve two sets of beds! 

4 hours ago, NeroliGirl said:

Pinboy isn't smiling---nothing humorous about " very loud, likes to share his conversations and opinions with everyone " people. You have them on every cruise.

I remember reading on CC, yup, right here , awhile ago that suite guests are " entitled " to better service because they are paying more.

" Better service "---- NO !!  " Additional Services "----YES !!

Some of us choose not to spend the $$$ for a suite because we are totally satisfied with whatever category we book and don't require the services of a Butler. 

Years ago we had a Butler and while he was there for us every day, we never asked him for anything--- very nice man, gave him an excellent survey rating , and tipped him well.

5 hours ago, NeroliGirl said:

Curious - did the attendant do anything about this situation?  We cruise in both suites and non-suites.  This behavior happens at every pool deck.  The bigger problem besides the ignorant aholes that do this is the cruise line not enforcing the policy to not do this!

• Like 3

No, nothing further was done and AFAIK Mr Hog continued to occupy all four sunbeds for the rest of the day. I day speak to the Retreat concierge and he agreed that the behaviour was inconsiderate and that he would speak to the guest, but I have no way of knowing if that was done. 

This particular guest was in a party of eight in Luminae most nights and they were similarly noisy there. We just chose to sit elsewhere.

On an M class 14 night and the nice lounger section near the pool was 'booked' every day by the same group of 8. Towels clips on by 7am . They came mid morning and mid afternoon but left belongings. After day 6 I went one day at 6am and made my nest.. but I followed rules and DH and I took turns leaving for food. The ousted couple paced by us countless times and were fuming!. After mid day we decided time to leave the nest so when I saw a gal wondering around I asked if she wanted our spots. YEP.. gladly. Quite a chuckle we had that day. Still laugh about it ..

• Haha 7

Currently on the Equinox and this has been printed every day in the "Celebrity Today" and i have not seen it enforced once. Worst chair hog cruise ever.

16862532701705775364918520734635.jpg

Edited by terrydtx

6 hours ago, NeroliGirl said:

No, nothing further was done and AFAIK Mr Hog continued to occupy all four sunbeds for the rest of the day. I day speak to the Retreat concierge and he agreed that the behaviour was inconsiderate and that he would speak to the guest, but I have no way of knowing if that was done. 

This particular guest was in a party of eight in Luminae most nights and they were similarly noisy there. We just chose to sit elsewhere.

What an absolute clown. It maybe says more about me and my temperament, but Mr and Mrs Hog's initial yelling and reaction to move to the other beds would bring about quite the reaction from myself. Not enough to get cuffed and thrown in the brig, but I would need a lot of strong spirits to calm down afterwards let's put it that way. Unbelievable.

During the restart, we braved the comeback. At the first show production the CD welcomed us back and told all of us assembled that there were only 600 passengers on our ship that can accommodate 6000. "So for all of you out there that use the decks, don't be afraid to now save 6 deck lounges per guest." So I guess they know full well about chair hogging and really could care less. He must have been joking because I noted to DW that the cruise line still did not untie most of the deck loungers and kept them stacked for the duration of our cruise, making the same difficulty finding an available deck lounger. Especially now that the CD encouraged the practice. Chair hogging was rampant.

IMG_1073.jpeg

Edited by morpheusofthesea

One solution might be that you have to "check out" a towel. You get charged if said towel is not returned. Soooo, when you see a towel on an unoccupied chair, you simply place it in the used towel bin (but do not check it in) and the occupant has to pay $10 (or such) for the unreturned towel.

if you do that enough, people will watch those towels like a hawk!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, CaroleSS said:

One solution might be that you have to "check out" a towel. You get charged if said towel is not returned. Soooo, when you see a towel on an unoccupied chair, you simply place it in the used towel bin (but do not check it in) and the occupant has to pay $10 (or such) for the unreturned towel.

if you do that enough, people will watch those towels like a hawk!

Better to tip a kid $1 for every towel he gets that way, just in case 'hawkeye'  the chairhog is watching from the bar.

6 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Better to tip a kid $1 for every towel he gets that way, just in case 'hawkeye'  the chairhog is watching from the bar.

Make that $2 each and I'll do it myself! 🤪

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I am a fairly early person to get a lounger usually around 8 till 9.30 trivia time and I sit above the pool deck. It is common for people to grab a bed in the sun and another in the shade up there, I actually saw a couple reserve 8 beds in sun and 8 in shade and left this was around 8.15 they nor any of their group didn't show up before I left for trivia at 9.30.. It was a daily event after that 2 people came to reserve 8 beds in and out of sun.

I am an early riser and on occasion go to the solarium before 6am.

On the first day, aboard the Edge, I observed a passenger palm/exchange what looked like money to me, with a pool attendant. The pool attendant waited 30mins or so and then placed towels and magazines on two chairs.  A couple of hours later the passenger and his wife showed up.   

On the second day, the same transaction took place for the same chairs.  I waited to see if the passenger came to use the chairs and he did in the late afternoon.  I waited until an officer came into the solarium and reported the incidents.  I saw the interaction between the pool attendant and the officer.  The pool attendant never returned to the solarium.

After that incident any chair not occupied for 30 mins had a card placed on it.  A short time thereafter the belongings were removed from said chairs.

It was shocking and disappointing to realize this side gig goes on. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, time-to-sail said:

It was shocking and disappointing

We were on the Beyond in the Retreat. A women complained to the attendant on the Retreat sun deck that all the sun beds were hogged with no one coming for hours. She asked the attendant to remove the belongings and he refused. They are afraid of NOT getting a tip later in the cruise.

1 minute ago, morpheusofthesea said:

We were on the Beyond in the Retreat. A women complained to the attendant on the Retreat sun deck that all the sun beds were hogged with no one coming for hours. She asked the attendant to remove the belongings and he refused. They are afraid of NOT getting a tip later in the cruise.

Either that or NOT getting their bribe the next day.

Or both.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, morpheusofthesea said:

I’m surprised this is happening on the retreat deck for suites only. I thought one of the massive benefits of this area is that it’s a secluded spot where you would have no problem finding somewhere to sit?

I think there is one thing holding a couple of loungers so that you can go for lunch/breakfast etc. that are just basic loungers and a lot of them on the ship, but there is another thing holding day beds, outdoor sofas, hammocks etc. all day where there are very few on the ship! 

Ultimately the real issue is that there aren’t enough relaxation areas onboard for everyone and cruise lines should start to think about that a little more when designing ships.