The Daily for Friday 05/06/2022

richwmn

Today is Beverage Day, Child Car Provider Day, and National Nurses Day

The reason I talk to myself is because I'm the only one whose answers I accept.--George Carlin

Meal Suggestion for today - Bacalhau à lagareiro
Drink of the Day - Pineapple Razztini
Wine of the Day - Château Barret Bordeaux red blend
Destination of the Day - Qingdao, China

Ships With Passengers

At Sea

Noordam   Destination Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco, Mexico Riviera eta 05/07

At Sea Pacific

Koningsdam   Destination Vancouver, BC Cana eta 5/7

Bergen, Norway

Rotterdam   08:00 - 17:00

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island, Alaska

Nieuw Amsterdam   10:00 - 18:00

Palermo, Sicily Italy

Nieuw Statendam   07:00 - 19:00

Tracy Arm & Juneau, Alaska

Zuiderdam   13:00 - 22:00

Victoria BC, Vancouver Island, BC Canada

Eurodam   18:00 - 23:30

Ukrainian Refugee Housing

Rotterdam Waalhaven

Volendam  

Ships Without Passengers

Long Beach, CA US

Westerdam   Anchorage

Port Everglades, Fort Lauderdale, FL US

Zaandam   Arriving 10

Ravenna, IT

Oosterdam  

0506World.thumb.png.7e4af6603a3e4d4ca5665521838a3312.png
  • Like 32
  • Thanks 13

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

Sunny here today, starting to feel like spring.🙂

Interesting days.  I guess my beverage today will be a nice glass of Ontario wine.   I'll raise a toast to thank child care providers and nurses.

Amusing quote.

Looking forward to seeing today's recipe.

The drink sounds good, hope the wine is tasty and not too expensive.

Prayers for everyone.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day.

Stay safe.

• Like 31

Thank you for the TGIF Daily, Rich.  Special salutes to Child Care Workers and Nurses.  My beverages of choice are coffee and Diet Coke.  I have not been to Qingdao.  I love the Carlin quote.   Not eating seafood I'll pass on the meal.  My alternative is Ham & Cheese Toastie with Pistachio Ice Cream, my lunch my first full day in Amsterdam after disembarking Nieuw Statendam in 2019:

lunch06.jpg

Today’s care list:

RIP Jose 5/1 and strength, peace, and healing for kazu
cat shepard grieving cousin

JazzyV and 1Angelcat facing expensive medicines
Lady Hudson SIL back in hospital with infection
Dfish  strange hotel accommodations
ger_77 and DH continuing symptoms
luvteaching DH in hospital with UIT
From the rotation:
Marshhawk offline until 5/10
Ukraine
Heartgrove older sister in hospice
msmayor’s daughter struggling with motherhood

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

A great celebration of Jose’s life
Zaandam in Everglades
Volendam housing refugees
8 BHB with guests
Dismomx5 in Cairo  meeting new toddler and baby
Sea Viewer brother visiting until May 12
Aliaschief and DW in Hawaii
NextOne on River Cruise
2 days for Lady Hudson (Oasis OTS 5/8 to 5/22)
 oceansaway17 (Symphony OTS to 5/7). rsldonk (Eurodam to 5/7), jawhawk66 and  sailingdutchy (Nieuw Statendam to  5/8), baltic7 (Zuiderdam to 5/11),  and leafsnation (Noordam to 5/15)  at sea
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 36
  • Thanks 7

Good afternoon.

60°F and cloudy here.

We are putting flowers on Pauline's grandparents and baby brother's graves at the moment.

Thank you for today's daily and fleet reports Rich.

Thank you Roy for keeping the daily lists updated.

Interesting days.

Nurses do a fantastic job and I was greatful for their care after my heart attack in December 2019.

I drink lots of tea and coffee.

The quote is not one I would agree with.

Never been to today's port so looking forward to seeing photos.

Prayers for Jacqui @kazu and for all who they can make a difference to.

I hope everyone has a nice day today.

Graham.

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

I don't have a sunrise for May 6, so this one is from May 7, taken in Amsterdam on an interlude between disembarking Nieuw Statendam and boarding Queen Victoria in Kiel.  It was taken at the back of Central Station

dawn0507.jpg

Roy

• Like 33
  • Thanks 5

Good morning everyone and thanks for the daily report.  I salute nurses and child care workers.  I’m toasting beverage day with a cup of coffee right now.  I would put today’s quote in the amusing category.  Not sure what the meal suggestion is so the jury is out on that. By the way, I made the low and slow pork shoulder recipe yesterday that was posted on Saturday and it was the perfect Cinco de Mayo dinner.  The wine sounds nice.  I haven’t been to today’s port.  Prayers for healing to all on our list today.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events today. 

• Like 32

Good morning, everyone.  

Quilting is frustrating.  My machine is acting up which infuriates me.  I just had it tuned up and it was still in the plastic wrap from the shop.  There should be no issues!   And, I can't get my triangle points to work out correctly.   Grrrrr.  

Codfish in olive oil, à Lagareiro. This classic from the Portuguese cuisine goes by many names: Bacalhau à Lagareiro, Bacalhau no forno, or Bacalhau assado com batatas a murro. No matter the name, this is one of the most renowned and frequently made recipes of salted, cured cod. It originates from the Beira region where the use to cook it in the ovens of the olive oil cellars during the olive oil season at the end of October. The dish can be prepared on a charcoal grill in the summer, or in the oven during the winter season.  it was difficult to find recipes that didn't need translation, so there are only two.

https://terradobacalhau.com/en/2017/09/18/codfish-in-olive-oil-lagareiro/

481686214_Bacalhau-a-Lagareiro3.jpg.16f3cfcc86fe6da057f8a84729d517ec.jpg

And here is option 2:  https://www.foodfromportugal.com/recipes/cod-lagareiro/

1693179960_Bacalhaualagareiro2.jpg.6167764dccd2681da5124111f9a1dcc1.jpg

Prayers for all who need them, especially Ukraine and our Daily family members.   Special prayers for Jacqui and Ann.  Now that the services are done comes the hardest part trying to find your new normal.   Wishing everyone a great day.

• Like 32
  • Thanks 9

@aliaschief  

One of my sons joined me on my last cruise to Hawaii...and he plays disc golf...

We booked a tee time at Puakea Golf Course...not far from where you are on Kauai....they have both ball golf and disc golf...

I am not a golfer....but had great fun driving the cart....and it was beautiful....:)

Puakea Golf Course on Kauai.jpg

• Like 37

Good morning. I will gladly salute the nurses in our family. Tana is a nurse as  well and is the first to say she makes a  difficult  patient! @dfish, your quilting retreat sounds like a not fun time and I am sorry. Thank you for the recipes today. We like the first one but will also make macaroni and cheese for our teenager.

I have only been to China in my dreams but look forward to the pictures.

Today I am thinking if Jacqui  a lot.I always found the days after a funeral  challenging  mostly because people have to leave and get back to their own lives. @kazu  we are here for you when needed.

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, Friends. Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes.

My beverages of choice are coffee, hot tea and water with an occasional half and half iced tea for a treat. Many,many thanks to child care givers and nurses.

The quote is amusing. I like the meal.

Debbie, @dfish, UGH! 😤 I am so sorry you are not having a better experience at the retreat. 

Gerry, @ger_77, I hope to hear that you and DH are feeling better today.

DH was awake for a few hours during the night so he is sleeping in. Since we are sleeping on the Murphy bed in the family room almost anything I do makes noise and echoes since most rooms have no furniture. So I am sitting quietly reading the Daily and drinking coffee. 

Special thoughts and prayers continue for Jacqui, @kazu@cat shepard, and Ukraine.

Wishing each of you a fantastic Friday.

🙏 and 🎉 for those on our lists.

• Like 33
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for the Daily Report.  

There are numerous award winning wines in Ontario.  I live in the Niagara wine region.  Lots of vineyards and wineries here along with the orchards.  I can get apples, cherries,  peaches, pears and plums on the street I live on.  There is a winery  within walking distance.

• Like 31

Good Morning froma warm and sunny day at the beach

Big salute to child care workers and Nurses. I was ( am) a RN, and have many ha win my family. We will have to send them a note.

Not sure about the quote and never been to todays port.

@kazu and @cat shepard My thoughts and prayers are with you during this most difficult time. As you try to return to the new normal, please know that we are here to listen and support you.

I have been dealing with the HAL gift card fiasco for the last few days. Wont bore you all with the details, it is all on another thread. I have spent more time and energy and just cant get anyone to help. All the Customer Service people are very pleasant but useless. All have said it will be "escalated". Anyway enough on that.   

Water aerobics this AM. 

Stay safe and enjoy today.      

• Like 30

Good Friday Morning.  Great group of days.  I LOL'd at the quote.  Have not been to today's destination.  Will pass on the meal.

Major prayers for all of us.  I just love the comfort I find in the Daily.

Toasts to our celebrations.  Love seeing all the ships back at sea.

Please continue to be safe and wear your mask if you feel more comfortable with it.  I know I do.

Pineapple Razztini:

Ingredients
2 parts Pinnacle® Pineapple Vodka
1 part DeKuyper® Razzmatazz® Schnapps Liqueur
1 part Cranberry Juice
Pineapple Slice
Raspberries

Instructions
Shake with ice and strain into a chilled martini glass. Garnish the glass with a pineapple slice and raspberry.

Screen Shot 2022-05-06 at 8.20.41 AM.png

• Like 29
  • Thanks 5

Good morning friends!  It's a gloomy morning and we are being warned about possible tornadoes, high winds and large hail for later on.  Not a good thing at all!  We walked around the neighborhood early today and DH has been doing lots of research and tests on the dishwasher trying to figure it out this morning.  That's what engineers do!  He thinks he knows what he needs to replace and it's an easy fix so if that's all it is, boy are we lucky.  But perhaps I shouldn't count my chickens before they hatch.😉

Thanks Rich @richwmnfor the Daily.  Nurses and child care workers have very difficult and important jobs so thanks to all of them.  My usual beverage is peach iced tea.  The quote is a bit silly.  No thanks to the menu suggestion, drink and wine (red).  We were in Qingdao once in 2010 so will repost photos from Dec. 27, 2021.  

Thanks Roy @rafinmdfor the lists today.  I pray for everyone each day as well as the Ukrainian people who are so brave, and my three family members.  They are improving slowly last I heard so that's a relief.  Special prayers for Jacqui @kazuand Ann @cat shepardas they deal with their losses.  I have to say I was impressed with Debbie's @dfishtake on the aftermath of the services.  Trying to find your new normal, she said.  That is absolutely correct.  It's not an easy task but a necessary one.  I'm sorry to hear about all the frustrations at your retreat, though Debbie and the rooming situation didn't help anything.  Good luck with it all!

Here's my report on Qingdao.  

We saw Qingdao on our Diamond Princess 2010 Asian Transpacific cruise (Bangkok to Anchorage).  We spent our time there walking around seeing the city up close.  Like many places in China the skies were smoggy, but not so bad we had to stay on the ship. 00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIh7DFIOV1pdeP2Bi29e1YI4xJ2Twu75QF_jizMkB1ZdA?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616015087

It seemed like those containers had covers over them.  I wonder what's hidden under them?00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKqLzBzARg6JKwtAqkB-LtcKwg5ydwHipy3aIZBf9dNYQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616007549

Time to get on a bus and get dropped off downtown.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJoryytYKsg4AQS-r76mykOaAUrgnwgvQnZ_1RWb7NZPA?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616007560

Wow, the streets there are very busy!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIJ5nRwjordXNM6q30Ot7swqCe7ffHDJpwno-pEcjtJnw?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616007560

So you could cross the street safely (smart move) they had pedestrian crossing bridges here and there.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJnqV5OX825_I-MlRoKQ6e2rnHjCyIZu59oV2we_kMG9A?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616007567

Taken from the pedestrian bridge.  Some of the smog visible in this photo.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK6SEAOi0dS55g6QhLur4Gm?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616007565

Apparently there are no traffic laws in China as it seemed everyone did as they pleased.  I wouldn't want to be that woman in the crosswalk with several cars pointed in my direction!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJQVnaLC3YPigUxKzjEGlf6?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616007576

We squeezed our way down this alley/street.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJb1f0TQ5n1zFB1YgOZ3879Kwg5ydwHipy3aIZBf9dNYQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616015092

It was loaded with food vendors waiting to serve you.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKHVEf9_X91e9wkf-ittjE3?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616007579

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIR1tBLJTDaXEVVQPYId_uWldMTLfbtJ__wYVBQ_4iTow?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1640643766

I'd like to know how he plans to prepare those starfish and be palatable!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLSpBEZ4261AEVGZlxoDzhn?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616007583

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJnCqRahG4EqFr73EaG-OgN5cYdfB3jRoL_VZILaXEufg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616007587

This reminds me of Survivor!  No matter what type of bug that is I don't want it!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKAauUzLHX83H8oXt-HwbSO5cYdfB3jRoL_VZILaXEufg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616015101

If I had to pick something it would be the prawn.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ9FQlQjenkFW3SKZASL3L8V7ntXQOewWgszVPDOQPWWw?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616007594

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKAauUzLHX83H8oXt-HwbSOaAUrgnwgvQnZ_1RWb7NZPA?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616015101

OMG!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI34D2kPnD6JW-I-m3svC7F?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616007594

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJDpQ6bp0xPuIqd1CqDJimbaAUrgnwgvQnZ_1RWb7NZPA?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616007598

I thought I'd hold off for lunch until back on the ship, just to be safe!  So here we are on the bus almost back, when we see the Diamond Princess with some interesting statuary on the port outskirts.  Yep, Mama and baby zebras.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLwJr3nu0__aJwZVYlmlNkr?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616007637

It appears ROC officials were checking passports.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIZG0XCl8invd5RKuPG_-3A4xJ2Twu75QF_jizMkB1ZdA?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616007644

I doubt I'll ever get back there, nor do I need to.  One and done!

• Like 30
  • Thanks 6

Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebration Report, and thank you Debbie for today's recipes. And thank you all for being here!

My sister had a doctor's appointment this past week. She was told to "start reeling family in" so we will travel back to Chicago in about two weeks for a visit.

Looking at a stormy few days weather-wise ahead. Hopefully not another tornado like two weeks ago.

-Jack

• Like 26
  • Thanks 5

18 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebration Report, and thank you Debbie for today's recipes. And thank you all for being here!

My sister had a doctor's appointment this past week. She was told to "start reeling family in" so we will travel back to Chicago in about two weeks for a visit.

Looking at a stormy few days weather-wise ahead. Hopefully not another tornado like two weeks ago.

-Jack

I am sorry to hear this Jack. It sounds like a difficult but necessary trip to see your sister.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  My beverage of choice for early in the morning is Bigelow I Love Lemon Tea, which reminds me, I have to order more as I'm almost out of it.  Bless all the child care providers out there - what would parents do without them?  And nurses - the heroes of the pandemic deserve accolades beyond belief.  

We had a beautiful sunny day yesterday where the temp did hit +27C; it just happened to occur on the day when we had 4 young men come to wash all the outside the windows for us.  Now we can see clearly again!  DH decided yesterday was also the day we should set up the patio furniture we'd purchased on sale a couple of months ago.  Well, he didn't think about the fact that he'd had very little sleep the past few nights due to his coughing, so by the time we had put together the settee, he was exhausted.  At least we got it set up on the deck and were able to sit on it before nightfall.  Just to be sure, I re-tested him last night and he's still showing negative for Covid.  This time I had him swab both his throat and cheek instead of tickling his brain, thinking it might give a different outcome.  Thankfully it didn't, so it's just a bad cold.

I'm going to give today's menu suggestion a pass, as neither of us is a fan of salted fish.  The drink, however, intrigues me, so I might put it on my list of cocktails to try on a BHB.  I'm pretty sure I'd like the wine.  LOL

@HeartgroveI'm sorry to hear about your sister; it's hard knowing a sibling's time is quickly coming to an end.

@dfishI can't believe what a letdown your quilting conference has been for you - from having to room with a complete stranger to your machine not functioning.  You need a holiday on a BHB after this, I'm sure!

Friday night pizza night at our house, so I'll let DH check the online menus to see what appeals to him and will order that for us for dinner.  We'll be able to eat on the deck for the first time in months, which will be a real treat.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra prayers for @kazu who will need them even more now as she deals with life on her own.  Extra also for the people of Ukraine and all who are providing assistance to them.  We'll clink our glasses together to cheer on all who make up the happy list.  Be safe, get your boosters, wear your masks when you need to, and stay well.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 36
  • Thanks 2

Good morning from central Texas where it is clear at the moment.  Beginning today and for the next several days, we're heading into the 90sF.  It seems to be getting warmer earlier each spring.

Nurses and child care workers do necessary and often thankless jobs, and I salute them.  My drinks of choice are diet Dr. Pepper and wine.

Sometimes,  I agree with the George Carlin quote.  😉

We'll pass on the meal and the drink.  The wine might be nice if the price is right.

We have not been to Qingdao.  @StLouisCruisers Sandi, thank you for sharing you pictures of your day in port.

@kazu  Jacqui, you are in our thoughts as you begin the next stage of your life.  We are here whenever you feel like checking in.  Take care.

@dfish  Debbie, I'm sorry the retreat is not living up to your expectations, and that your macine is acting up.  Hope today is a better day for you.

@StLouisCruisers Sandi, take care during the storm.  Hope you and all the Dailyites in the path of the storms remain safe today.

@Heartgrove  Jake, I'm sorry your sister's news was not better.  We're still hoping she makes it to the wedding in her golden slippers.

@ger_77  Gerry, I'm happy your DH is still testing negative, and hope the cough subsides soon.  Enjoy your new patio furniture and sitting on your deck.

Yesterday, I mamaged to dig up remaing stump of the oleander except one root.  Since it was a lateral root, I just covered it when I filled in the hole.  I was surprised at how hard the woody part was.

Lenda 

• Like 27
  • Thanks 4

58 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

-Jack

I'm sorry to hear the latest about your sister.  I hope she still has plenty of visiting time with family ahead of her.  

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Burn Giorno from Roma to all the Dailyites.

Another cloudy day with lots of rain.  i managed to take a photo of the view from our room in between the raindrops.  This is the Piazza Della Repubblica.  

53016BEA-1D25-4B0B-8CEA-6474AEAE6196.jpeg

Edited by Cruzin Terri
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 5

I want to continue to write but can’t figure out how to do it.  Perhaps I need a lesson from @StLouisCruisers with her many photos and descriptions to accompany each one.

Anyway, with another rainy day to deal with, and lightning to boot, we did not venture far.  

The Italian Open Tennis tournament is starting up in Rome and many of the players are staying at this hotel.  Among the players are Djokovic and Federer.  Not sure they are staying here.  Haven’t caught sight of them yet.  

I hope everyone is having a good day and my prayers continue for all of you.  

Tonight we are doing a Special Night Tour of the Vatican Museums and the Sistine Chapel.  Small group and after hours.  Good way to beat the crowds.

Please pray we start to have some good weather.  Tired of so much rain.

Hope everyone has a great day and God Bless,

Terri

• Like 29