The Daily for Saturday 05/14/2022

richwmn

13 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  It's a bit foggy/cloudy this morning and 63F but the sun will come out and raise the temperature today to about 82.  I did my treadmill walking this morning along with prayers for all on the Care list, the nieces and nephews, Ukraine, peace for all, and especially for the state of our economy.  It will probably get even worse unfortunately.  I knew it was going to get bad but not this bad!  A decision will have to be made next week before we leave about next year's cruises, two Grand Voyages.  😥

Rich @richwmnthank you for the Daily this morning.  Dancing like a chicken is popular at weddings but I haven't been to one in a while.  A salute to birds who migrate - they're so smart to be able to figure out where to go.  I enjoy looking at windmills, especially in the Netherlands.  I have to agree that many people don't read the classics anymore.  The chicken fajitas sound delicious.  Debbie will have great recipes for us, I'm sure.  Philipsburg, Sint Maarten is a very popular port and I'm sure many here have enjoyed it.  It was last listed here on Nov. 23, 2021.  I'll post photos in a minute.

But first Cheers to everyone on the Celebration list.  Hoping for more happy celebrants as time goes on.  Dixie @summer slopehappy 56th anniversary to you and DH!  Time flies when you're having fun!  Jacqui @kazuthank you for the funny memes today.  Your plants are really coming to life.  Good luck with your planting, and try not to over do it.  Julia @JAM37I'm sorry to hear both your back and head hurt today.  Funny how as we age every day there's a different part of the body in pain!  I never would have imagined this 20 years ago.  Hope you're feeling better soon though.  Graham @grapau27I was wondering where you and Pauline were off to, and today I know.  The MALL!  Lol!  Have a great time!

We've been to Sint Maarten/Saint Martin 4 times.  One visit we were driven to a beach, and the driver pointed out which direction was the family beach and the direction where the nude beach was.  We chose the family beach, but I noticed a few topless individuals would walk over to the family beach and stroll by.  I guess they weren't getting enough attention over there!  On another visit while cruising there with our daughter and her family we went to Baby Beach.  The water was shallow enough for toddlers to wade knee deep.  The little ones loved it!  One visit to Sint Maarten was with our late friend John and his wife Jean.  John and DH went on a sailing excursion, America's Cup yacht racing.  They LOVED it!  Happy memories...

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIw8mgC9_JhqeGsIQpR-eh9?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1450878801

Beautiful pictures as usual, yikes on those planes landing!

I love the lizards!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

I forgot to mention that we had an email from Pat’s sister in Perth, Australia.  They both have Covid….

Ann, I'm sorry that Pat's sister and DBIL have Covid.  Please tell Pat that we're thinking about them and hope both have mild cases and are well soon.

Lenda

• Like 9

52 minutes ago, atexsix said:

We had our 2nd booster last month, I sure hope it gives the promised extra layer of protection for our cruise.  Are you still doing Hawaii in the spring?

How terrible about the wrong diagnosis.  That happened to me years ago with cancer, for a week I thought I had it, can you imagine?  I wasn't happy about it but what can you do?

Hate to burst your bubble, but more rain on the way tomorrow.  At least everything is green.

No, we canceled the Hawaii cruise when we booked the Australia Grand Voyage (trying to save here and there). We are going to Yellowstone in 2 1/2 weeks though -- and flying -- so I'll feel safer with the 2nd booster.  Next cruise is in early October.

How awful, thinking you have cancer is much worse than my thinking I had Covid.  I can't even imagine...the doctor said she sent the wrong reply (positive instead of negative). It was a stressful day, but nothing like yours was.

Yep, more rain.  I did enjoy the sun today though!  And it felt warm!

• Like 11

3 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

No, we canceled the Hawaii cruise when we booked the Australia Grand Voyage (trying to save here and there). We are going to Yellowstone in 2 1/2 weeks though -- and flying -- so I'll feel safer with the 2nd booster.  Next cruise is in early October.

How awful, thinking you have cancer is much worse than my thinking I had Covid.  I can't even imagine...the doctor said she sent the wrong reply (positive instead of negative). It was a stressful day, but nothing like yours was.

Yep, more rain.  I did enjoy the sun today though!  And it felt warm!

We looked at some of the lengthier Australia itineraries but we're concerned their rates will go up during the southern hemisphere winter and they'll close the borders again.  Course we'd really like to do a 30 day South America and HAL has yet to offer the RT San Diego again.  

• Like 7

2 hours ago, erewhon said:

Petrol here is NZ$3.00 a litre.

Enjoy the remainder of your Hawaiian holiday.

It rose overnight to $5.79 a gallon. Came out to about $52.00 for nine gallons! Yes, for years you have been paying so much more so I don’t expect any sympathy! 😁Kia Ora and hope your both doing well.

Bruce & Sue

• Like 8

6 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

I forgot to mention that we had an email from Pat’s sister in Perth, Australia.  They both have Covid….

Oh dear.  I am so sorry to hear that, Ann.  I hope their symptoms are mild and they recover quickly 🙏🏻 

9 hours ago, lindaler said:

Hi all. Just a quick note to update you on my crazy life. I visited my son in Mobile and fell in love with the town. I told him I would move there is I could find a place on the river that I could kayak from that was not too expensive. Well he found a house on the dog river and it was great. So I put on offer in before I even saw the place.

Congratulations on the new home and your new life on the river!  You have been and will be very busy but once it is done, you can enjoy your new spot to the fullest 👍 Good luck with you endless list of things to do over the next while.

11 hours ago, rafinmd said:

While going through some documents I came up on another anniversary.  It was 40 years ago today I passed my final exam to become a Fellow of the Society of Actuaries.

That’s a very worthy anniversary to celebrate.  Congratulations!

12 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

Good afternoon.  Thanks for the Saturday Daily.  We have disembarked the Eurodam and are waiting for our flight out of Seattle.  The cruise was great.  Port times were cut pretty short, but they seemed to overcompensate with wonderful food and service onboard.  Lovely cruise.  The ship seemed often to be traveling really fast.  We guessed that there’s a lot of split-second timing going on to allow a great number of ships to visit the ports.

Welcome home and safe travels!  So glad to hear you enjoyed your cruise 👍 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, kochleffel said:

Is it OK to ask about this entry in the fleet whereabouts?

Rotterdam   Destination Visby, Belarus eta 5/15

Visby is in Sweden, and Belarus is landlocked.

That is what was listed in Marine Traffic. Seems like someone on the bridge entered an incorrect code.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, richwmn said:

That is what was listed in Marine Traffic. Seems like someone on the bridge entered an incorrect code.

Cruisetimetables shows Visby, Sweeden.

Roy

Edited by rafinmd
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Cruisetimetables shows Visby, Sweeden.

Roy

the question was about yesterday. Today MT shows the correct information. I don't know what cruisetimetables showed yesterday morning at 6am.

I just looked at cruisetimetables and saw this note:

Last Recorded Location (AIS) @ marinetraffic.com.

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 4

Well it is now Sunday morning and this is the first opportunity to post.  Jim is still sleeping.  The change in time zones really throws off one’s body clock.

Thank you all for all the Welcome Home Wishes.  

It is truly good to be home.  

Saturday was filled with lots of things to do.  We had a 2 1/2 hour drive home from Jacksonville after breakfast.  Was shocked to see the gas prices.  But based on what I am reading here, we are not in the worse possible shape.

We had to pick up our mail at the Post Office.  The supervisor was very kind to let us have the mail held for 42 days rather than the usual 30.  Then we had to sort through the junk and find the stuff that was important.

Finally we had to get some food.  We cleaned out the refrigerator, etc and had to replenish our food supply—at least the basics.  

And we were tired.  The change in time zone hits you hard.

So I got a rotisserie chicken and the fixin’s at Publix and that sufficed for tonight.

Unpacking and laundry is also in progress. 

Other things that are in line for the next week:

Today—I have an appointment to get my nails done

Tomorrow—Dentist appointment.  I called him from Rome.  I have been nursing a toothache since our first day in Rome and it needs attention.  Luckily he will see me at 1:15 on Monday.  

We have to have the house power-washed.

Other doctor appointments, etc.

Read the last three Dailies.

Welcome to reality.

All in all, it is good to be home and there is nothing like your own bed.

Take care my friends, I will post on Sunday’s Daily.

God Bless.

Terri

• Like 12

15 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

Good afternoon.  Thanks for the Saturday Daily.  We have disembarked the Eurodam and are waiting for our flight out of Seattle.  The cruise was great.  Port times were cut pretty short, but they seemed to overcompensate with wonderful food and service onboard.  Lovely cruise.  The ship seemed often to be traveling really fast.  We guessed that there’s a lot of split-second timing going on to allow a great number of ships to visit the ports.

@SusieKIslandGirl, I’m sorry to hear you have Covid.  Wishing you a swift recovery.

@summer slope, Happy Anniversary!  We celebrated our 43rd this past week on our cruise.  
@Heartgrove, thoughts are with you and your sister and family. I’m so sorry to see she is in hospice.

The photos are wonderful today.  Who doesn’t enjoy a day on a Caribbean island?

And this is why we sail there.  Have a lovely afternoon, All.  😉

A9FE2F51-8E41-4A9C-BA6F-6D376C6B7951.thumb.jpeg.33367d3cbc45c95345d3fa8c008b594a.jpeg

Welcome home!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1