How to turn off hall light sensor on Ruby

Simmsy

We take magnetic j-hooks and have one of those Princess string back pack bags (they give them out as prizes on the ship) and just surround the light at night.  That way, it still works during the day ... we simply drop the bag down from the hooks.  It's ingenious ... came to me in the middle of the night when my DH just couldn't sleep with the light going on and off all night in the rough seas.  He also likes to put one of the decorative pillows over the nightstand motion lights.  I really don't mind those at all.  But, that one in the hallway ... what was somebody thinking????  

1 hour ago, Tedferg said:

Where is the sensor?

Sensor is a little bubble on the base of the fixture,  facing the bathroom.  We always travel with a roll of black electrical tape and use that to cover the sensors.

Edited by LACruiser88
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LACruiser88 said:

Sensor is a little bubble on the base of the fixture,  facing the bathroom.  We always travel with a roll of black electrical tape and use that to cover the sensors.

Thanks, some nights I have a couple of bathroom calls and was concerned the light would wake DW but she slept through it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Simmsy said:

The night light feature is very annoying. Can it be blocked?

Yes, on the Majestic we simply called housekeeping and they sent someone up who put a special tape over the sensor.  Problem (and it is a too bright problem!) solved.  We also just put the decorative small pillows on the lights by the nightstand floor at night.
 Whoever came up with these safety lights must be afraid of the dark.  One can simply flip on their bedside light if worried about tripping in the dark.

5 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

But, that one in the hallway ... what was somebody thinking????  

Or on Royal-class ships when turning on the closet light it also turns on the light over the bed...crazy!

We bring light green LED nightlights to plug into sockets on the desk & in the bathroom which works for us.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K8B2MPM?ref_=cm_sw_r_cp_ud_dp_9X8RFGGY68FSNHCRATSA

316H1ktTc8L._AC_SR38,50_.jpg

Edited by Astro Flyer

12 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

Or on Royal-class ships when turning on the closet light it also turns on the light over the bed...crazy!

We bring light green LED nightlights to plug into sockets on the desk & in the bathroom which works for us.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K8B2MPM?ref_=cm_sw_r_cp_ud_dp_9X8RFGGY68FSNHCRATSA

316H1ktTc8L._AC_SR38,50_.jpg

I’ve never noticed that but we never turn on the hall light to go into the bathroom at night.  But, good to know …

We always bring a very little motion light for the bathroom, one that isn’t too bright.  I also use one at home.  I’m sure their lifespan is limited so I must remember to get more of them.  Those bright lights are what tend to really wake you up and that’s not what we want in the middle of the night.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, hpeabody said:

Are these annoying "safety" lights on all ships now or just the Ruby?

Maybe a one off? Didn't notice any night lights in our suite on Discovery.

We were on the Ruby before the pause and had a night light at the desk area, but don't recall one in the closet/bathroom area. It was an aft inside. Made a difference? Who knows. There were posts several months ago about USB ports on lamps (Ruby). I said "we had them". I was almost but not quite called a liar because others didn't. Made & continues to make no sense why Princess does what it does. 

Inconsistency thy name is Princess.😆

Thanks for posting this, was very annoying, interrupted sleep with lights going on, there really is enough light from under the cabin door at night to see.    Will disable with tape next trip and use pillows too.  Good ideas.

1 hour ago, pris993 said:

Thanks for posting this, was very annoying, interrupted sleep with lights going on, there really is enough light from under the cabin door at night to see.    Will disable with tape next trip and use pillows too.  Good ideas.

That’s why God made duct tape. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Tedferg said:

Do these lights come on randomly due to ship's motion?

They can.  On our last Majestic cruise in April, during a rough sea night, they kept coming on all night on their own.  

We had maintenance come in the next morning and totally disable the light.

7 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

They did in our rooms on the Ruby.  More on than off … all night long!  Made my hubby crazy!  

OK I understand the problem, I thought they were unnecessary though useful on my trips to the bathroom but fortunately DW slept through it.

5 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

OK I understand the problem, I thought they were unnecessary though useful on my trips to the bathroom but fortunately DW slept through it.

We never needed them at night but loved them during the day.  That’s why we just took some magnetic hooks (clips would also work) to hang a bag over it during the night. 

16 hours ago, Bgwest said:

That’s why God made duct tape. 

Actually it was a very smart lady….

The iconic tape was invented by an Illinois mom named Vesta Stoudt who wanted to save soldiers' lives in World War II. The year was 1943 and Stoudt, who had two sons serving in the U.S. Navy, was working at the Green River Ordnance Plant near Amboy, Illinois.

“She noticed that the boxes of ammunition she was packing and inspecting had a flaw,” explains Margaret Gurowitz, Johnson & Johnson's Chief Historian. “They were sealed with paper tape, with a tab to open them. Workers then dipped the entire box in wax to make it waterproof. But the paper tape was very thin, and the tabs often tore off, leaving soldiers frantically trying to open the box while under fire.”