What’s the consensus? Should only expect good food on board in specialty restaurants?

For as much as cruises cost, at least for the majority of people making an average wage, I think food onboard a cruise should be palatable. This is not including the specialty restaurants that incur extra charges. And I’m not talking about gourmet chef style food either!

I was disappointed to go onboard and not see your basic baked or roasted-chicken and fish  at the buffet. Omelette station in the morning was subpar with “pre -made” omelettes….and missing ingredients if you asked for a fresh one.

What do you think? Am I asking too much for the main buffet dining area on a 7 day cruise? Should I expect sub-par food at the buffet.

Note: Holland America may have spoiled me with their pasta station and grill station.

To be fair, when I complained, a nice young attendant had a chicken filet grilled up for me.  

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Oshunj said:

For as much as cruises cost, at least for the majority of people making an average wage, I think food onboard a cruise should be palatable. This is not including the specialty restaurants that incur extra charges. And I’m not talking about gourmet chef style food either!

I was disappointed to go onboard and not see your basic baked or roasted-chicken and fish  at the buffet. Omelette station in the morning was subpar with “pre -made” omelettes….and missing ingredients if you asked for a fresh one.

What do you think? Am I asking too much for the main buffet dining area on a 7 day cruise? Should I expect sub-par food at the buffet.

Note: Holland America may have spoiled me with their pasta station and grill station.

To be fair, when I complained, a nice young attendant had a chicken filet grilled up for me.  

Little grandeur some consider subpar has a station with daily hand made whatever, changes daily. One day pasta, the next its mussels and shrimp bowls, or panini or crepes. Each ship is different.

I wanted filled donuts and they did 2 kinds of avacado toast. I dont want guacamole for breakfast. I think tastes vary. Some will love what you didnt. I liked the premade eggs. You didnt. Dont judge all ships based on one cruise or one ship. 

• Like 1

I like or love about 90% of what I order in the main dining room.   About the same as when I eat out at home.   Difference is that when I don't like what I get in the MDR they bring me something else or I can opt for pizza that night or snacks in the Diamond Lounge.   I almost never do a specialty restaurant as I am fine with the MDR.   I do not do the buffet unless it is a ship with a solarium buffet which I do very occasionally.  

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Oshunj said:

Which ship were you on?

We found the food on Jewel was good in the MDR and buffet, the noise from the Schooner bar spoilt the atmosphere in Giovanni and chops. We won’t book the speciality restaurant on our October Jewel cruise

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 3yorkies said:

I like or love about 90% of what I order in the main dining room.   About the same as when I eat out at home.   Difference is that when I don't like what I get in the MDR they bring me something else or I can opt for pizza that night or snacks in the Diamond Lounge.   I almost never do a specialty restaurant as I am fine with the MDR.   I do not do the buffet unless it is a ship with a solarium buffet which I do very occasionally.  

Is the Oasis Solarium good?

51 minutes ago, Oshunj said:

What ship were you on?      

Sorry to hear of your troubles in getting reimbursed for your quarantine.     Royal has always done right by us and hopefully you will receive the reimbursement of your hotel and food.

Most WJ's have the fresh omelet station, fresh made pasta station, grilling stations, etc. etc. 

We usually do WJ for breakfast and MDR for Dinner then do  JR's, Solarium Bistro, parks Cafe, Playmakers for lunch.     We do occasionally enjoy a specialty restaurant too.    

Sure, there is some food I have not liked but there is plenty of food that I really enjoy and look forward to every cruise.   

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

What ship were you on?      

Sorry to hear of your troubles in getting reimbursed for your quarantine.     Royal has always done right by us and hopefully you will receive the reimbursement of your hotel and food.

Most WJ's have the fresh omelet station, fresh made pasta station, grilling stations, etc. etc. 

We usually do WJ for breakfast and MDR for Dinner then do  JR's, Solarium Bistro, parks Cafe, Playmakers for lunch.     We do occasionally enjoy a specialty restaurant too.    

Sure, there is some food I have not liked but there is plenty of food that I really enjoy and look forward to every cruise.   

How is Solarium food?

1 hour ago, Project-College said:

How is Solarium food?

Great, I have always enjoyed their selection.   I usually like the grilled salmon in the solarium bistro better than the MDR.     They usually have some other nice fish options such as red snapper that is always tasty.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, boogybaby said:

We found the food on Jewel was good in the MDR and buffet, the noise from the Schooner bar spoilt the atmosphere in Giovanni and chops. We won’t book the speciality restaurant on our October Jewel cruise

Did they have the doors open or closed while you were dining?      when the doors are closed we have never noticed any noise from the bar/lounge area.    Plus we usually sit at a table near the windows.   

6 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Great, I have always enjoyed their selection.   I usually like the grilled salmon in the solarium bistro better than the MDR.     They usually have some other nice fish options such as red snapper that is always tasty.

Thanks... I assume the Solarium is in the UDP Package?  At over $1K, they should have grub hub delivery by jet ski!

8 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Did they have the doors open or closed while you were dining?      when the doors are closed we have never noticed any noise from the bar/lounge area.    Plus we usually sit at a table near the windows.   

In April the Doors were Closed in evenings on Jewel. Daughter/SIL said Food there was Fantastic. She's been Cruising Royal for 25+ yrs since she was 6. Just asked her, 9:30pm Meal sitting middle of room and no noticeable noise 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Project-College said:

Thanks... I assume the Solarium is in the UDP Package?  At over $1K, they should have grub hub delivery by jet ski!

There is no charge for eating in the Solaium Bistro.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Project-College said:

RCL, my TA, and someone just off Oasis said that Dinner was a charge unless you have a plan?

As MM stated Solarium is free.  There may be a couple items that have a fee but do does the dining room. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach

3 hours ago, Oshunj said:

Many ships have permanent hot stations that serve made to order fare. Others have portable units or set up stations in the grill area. Pre Covid, MDR lunch often did it as well.

Always look forward to it

What ship were you on?  

27 minutes ago, Project-College said:

RCL, my TA, and someone just off Oasis said that Dinner was a charge unless you have a plan?

I, too, just sailed on the Oasis.  As a matter of fact, I was on board the day they re-opened the Solarium Bistro for dinner.

As @Ourusualbeach said, there are a few (3) optional "upgraded" entrees, but I see no reason to ever order one of them.  On the Anthem once, my dining companion chose to order the lamb chops, and they were so bad, she sent them back and the charge was expunged.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Project-College said:

They are all referencing the Solarium Bistto from 2018 when there was a $20 charge gur dinner but yhat was dropped sometime in 2018.

• Thanks 1

I took my first Holland cruise last month and loved it - but one of the few disappointments was the Lido buffet.  Nice enough, but lacking variety and it was basically the same every day. It had far fewer options than the Windjammer.

Tastes vary.  If you look for disappointment, you will find it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Oshunj said:

I think you should take a cruise on a smaller ship where you are catered to.  Royal, and their 1000's of passengers, is not going to provide an experience that you appear to want.

• Like 1

Well, I guess there is no answer as to which ship the OP was on.  We were very impressed with the windjammer on Odyssey.  Omelets were made to order.  I enjoyed the meat selection at the grill.  Really enjoyed the steamed veggies, too. I'm a meat and veggie kinda gal.  I don't go for casserole type items, but my DH enjoyed them.  The only complaint I had was that the desserts were bland.  We have only been on Odyssey and Mariner since startup, but never went to windjammer on Mariner for some reason.  I wonder if some ships are more "up to standard" than others. 

6 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I wanted filled donuts and they did 2 kinds of avacado toast. I dont want guacamole for breakfast. I think tastes vary. Some will love what you didnt. I liked the premade eggs. You didnt. Dont judge all ships based on one cruise or one ship. 

This was very we stated as I would have loved avocado toast and did abhor the filled donuts.

But I will say that my complaint is not necessarily with the food provided and more about the quality of the food provided. (though i did complain about the no Baked chicken but give me a little leeway! :-))

e.g., a horrible donut versus an okay donut versus a gourmet donut. I’d expect a 7 day cruise in europe to have okay donuts in the buffet dinning room….not disgusting. And let me tell you, the desserts and donuts were absolutely not fit for dogs. 😮

6 hours ago, Seannie said:

Which ship were you on?

Jewel of the Seas - I’ve been on others in the RCCL before. Hated the food! And I’m not a foodie. I’m on the cruise for other than food related stuff….but disgusting is disgusting!

Have heard the specialty restaurants are very good. idk, paying upwards of $3000 i just wonder if i should expect Okay versus disgusting