The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday July 15th, 2022

richwmn

Today is National Pet Fire Safety Day, National Respect Canada Day, and National Give Something Away Day

Until I feared I would lose it, I never loved to read. One does not love breathing.--Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird

Meal Suggestion for today - Marmitako
Drink of the Day - Bahama Mama
Wine of the Day - Pieropan 2019 Soave Classico
Destination of the Day - Penneshaw, Kangaroo Island, Australia

Eurodam

Victoria BC, Vancouver Island, BC Canada 20:00 - 23:59

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination Vancouver, BC Canada eta 07/16

Nieuw Amsterdam

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island, Alaska 11:00 - 19:00

Nieuw Statendam

Kiel, Germany 08:00 - 16:00

Noordam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 07:00 - 16:00

Oosterdam

Split, Croatia 07:00 - 14:00

Rotterdam

Flam, Norway 07:00 - 19:00

Westerdam

At Sea Destination Victoria, BC, Canada

Zaandam

Qaqortoq, Greenland 10:00 - 18:00

Zuiderdam

Tracy Arm & Juneau, Alaska 13:00 - 22:00

Volendam

Rotterdam Waalhaven Ukraine Relief

0715World.thumb.png.3c75629c24689362121dc1e4c01a5811.png

• Like 29
  • Thanks 13

Good morning from beautiful Southwest Florida.

I'm confused by the second part of the quote but Harper Lee was an amazing writer with "To Kill a Mockingbird" one of the greatest pieces of literature ever, the movie was also great and one of my all time favorites.

It's good to donate and give, does something for the soul.

I respect Canada except when the Blackhawks or the Lightning are playing the Toronto Maple Leafs or the Montreal Canadiens. We had some nice trips to Canada including in 1972 when a couple of friends and I took a great fishing trip up to Ontario about 100 miles north of Minnesota, we traveled by seaplane from Ely Minnesota to Quetico Provincial Park and camped out and fished for a week, drank water right from the pristine lake.

Pass on the food.

I've never been to Australia, just too far away but when I was in Vietnam I thought of taking my R & R there but decided to take it in Hong Kong instead.

Thanks for The Daily, stay well and have a great day.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 35

Crack of dawn, is it?  I’ve never made it this early on the Daily 😊. I always respect my country!  We just came back from the Magasin du Nord, and replaced a few items, in case Pat’s suitcase never appears.  What a beautiful store!  Kind of like Macy’s or Niemann -Marcus (sp. ? My autocorrect keeps changing it. ). 

now we will try for a ride on the Copenhagen HoHo. 

• Like 33
  • Thanks 4

Good morning.  Thanks for the Fleet and Daily Reports.

I respect Canada.  It's important to protect pets from fire.  We have a decal by the front door to let firefighters know there is a pet in the house in the unfortunate event of a fire.  I have lots of things to give away, I'm trying to de-clutter.  Why keep stuff that I don't use that someone else could?

Interesting quote.  I loved "To Kill a Mockingbird".

Not sure about the meal, I'll wait to see the recipe.

The drink sounds great.  Hope the wine is good too.

I've never been to Australia, someday, maybe.  Thanks in advance for all the pictures.

Prayers for everyone.

Have a good Friday.  Stay safe.

• Like 32

Good Friday morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily report.  Nice collection of days today, I have a donation box started for the charity shop.  Interesting quote but I’m not sure that I fully understand it. Not sure about today’s meal suggestion.  I haven’t been to today’s port.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list today.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events today.🎉

• Like 28

Thanks for our TGIF Daily, Rich.

I definitely celebrate Pet Fire Safely day.  The sign is still on our front window by the door that there are pets inside for the fire men.  I didn’t know that the U.S. had a Respect Canada Day - how nice 👍.

0A4F7661-A9D2-44DE-9FE7-9521D5A0591C.thumb.jpeg.39eda64b37ced18ca03de9a239d992ba.jpeg

I’ve been giving lots of stuff away and more to do so I think I am celebrating National Give Something Away day every day 😉 

I’m not sure about today’s quote.  I think I know what he was trying to say but it doesn’t quite read that me, to me.  Intrigued by today’s meal - I will have to wait to see what Tina @0106has to say.  Looking forward to today’s port pics - we’ve been to Australia but not this port.

The co-ordinator here for the dogs has been raising money to help get the dogs here & of course, I have been supporting her.  Turns out I ended winning a prize - a liquor basket.  

073E129C-FAFF-4D29-AE0B-11CC82E69D55.thumb.jpeg.92963029a6ae22d93459f3e4bb6ffe10.jpeg

It will come in handy for Jose’s Celebration of Life. ( I offered to give it back for her to re-use and she said no - that’s karma )

76468912-6760-4D45-9DBB-1BD4A21C38A4.thumb.jpeg.818749b1f52338d57c49630217496ba4.jpeg

She took advantage of the delivery of the prize to check out my yard and facilities and sent pics to send to Egypt.  She says they will be ecstatic.

@erewhonit’s going to take a while for the toe to heal because of the way it was cut - no worries.  It’s certainly better than last week but has a way to go.  Maybe I need chicken soup?  LOL.

AC7B1DA1-9D56-4AA1-A1E4-15EC2F4616BD.thumb.jpeg.c6009e6b4f78da821b04107f65d4498a.jpeg

18 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

I’m off with my coffee to sit in the new screen gazebo and pretend it’s a cabana on a BHB!

image.thumb.jpg.fe550349a28d5e9420bc4d917b71c666.jpg

Wow!  That’s a nice win - especially with mosquitoes tormenting you 🙂 

17 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

My sweet husbands birthday is today and we will be going to Hula Grill for dinner.

A belated happy birthday to your DH. 

2AD3FC23-C41E-4897-B589-F51E757EEBAF.gif.7a0528aca4782bd654e2e8c696846031.gif

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and a 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a good Friday everyone !!!!!

1E1D6A8C-9F1B-45F1-BBA2-25D49C3FDC5D.thumb.jpeg.7b284eed010a203ca64c423373924733.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 38
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 9

Thank you Rich for the TGIF Fleet Report and Daily.  Love all 3 of today's days but not sure what to make of the quote.  I have not been to Kangaroo Island.  I have no idea what the meal is.  My alternative is  Fruit Ceviche, Garden Bounty, and Whole Wheat Pasta Primavera as served on MS Rotterdam VI July 15, 2011.

I'm glad @Vict0riann was a day early and hope Pat's bag catches up quickly.

Today’s care list:

RIP Buddy 7/13/22
RIP Nora Brown of Howick QC, 7/11/22
HAL Sailer DB with severe covid
Sarah with covid  but improving
Camila and mom with covid
Heartgrove brother discharged but rapidly declining
From the rotation:
Amy adjusting to widowhood and children
Bennybear DH with melanoma
Strength and healing for Kazu
StLouisSal with weakening legs

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Seasick Sailer in Hawaii
Topps Market Buffalo reopening
Cruisin Single with sister to 7/28
Volendam caring for refugees
HAL Sailer Nephew Curt doing much better
0106 covering menu suggestions until 8/1
2 days for dfish (Rotterdam 7/17 to 7/31) and Gail&Marty (10/15)
1 daysfor Vict0riann  (Nieuw Statendam (7/16 to 8/9)
ski ww (Oosterdam to July 16).  dobiemom (Rotterdam to 7/17), RWSBADGER (Noordam to 7/17), and  luvteaching (Westerdam to 7/17) and Cat in My Lap (Zaandam to 8/13)  at sea
Vacationing Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

The care list reminds me we have not heard from @St. Louis Sal for a long time.

Roy

• Like 30
  • Thanks 14

Bahama Mama cocktail: (Our very favorite)

Ingredients
1 part DeKuyper® Creme de Banana Liqueur
1 part Cruzan® Coconut Rum
1 part Cruzan® Hurricane Proof® Rum
1 part Grenadine
2 parts Pineapple Juice
2 parts Orange Juice

Instructions
Build over ice, stir gently, and serve.

Our favorite way of making it is from the bartender on the Rotterdam:
Fill shaker with ice.  Add:
1 part white rum
1 part coconut rum
2 parts pineapple juice
2 parts orange juice
splash grenadine
Shake well and drink!
We use the orange pineapple juice mix from the supermarket.

Screen Shot 2022-07-15 at 7.11.19 AM.png

• Like 25
  • Thanks 8

17 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you Rich for the TGIF Fleet Report and Daily.  Love all 3 of today's days but not sure what to make of the quote.  I have not been to Kangaroo Island.  I have no idea what the meal is.  My alternative is  Fruit Ceviche, Garden Bounty, and Whole Wheat Pasta Primavera as served on MS Rotterdam VI July 15, 2011.

I'm glad @Vict0riann was a day early and hope Pat's bag catches up quickly.

Today’s care list:

RIP Buddy 7/13/22
RIP Nora Brown of Howick QC, 7/11/22
HAL Sailer DB with severe covid
Sarah with covid  but improving
Camila and mom with covid
Heartgrove brother discharged but rapidly declining
From the rotation:
Amy adjusting to widowhood and children
Bennybear DH with melanoma
Strength and healing for Kazu
StLouisSal with weakening legs

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Seasick Sailer in Hawaii
Topps Market Buffalo reopening
Cruisin Single with sister to 7/28
Volendam caring for refugees
HAL Sailer Nephew Curt doing much better
0106 covering menu suggestions until 8/1
2 days for dfish (Rotterdam 7/17 to 7/31) and Gail&Marty (10/15)
1 daysfor Vict0riann  (Nieuw Statendam (7/16 to 8/9)
ski ww (Oosterdam to July 16).  dobiemom (Rotterdam to 7/17), RWSBADGER (Noordam to 7/17), and  luvteaching (Westerdam to 7/17) and Cat in My Lap (Zaandam to 8/13)  at sea
Vacationing Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

The care list reminds me we have not heard from @St. Louis Sal for a long time.

Roy

Thank you for today's lists Roy.

Our Sarah reports she is much better now.

Graham.

• Like 23

Here are some more updates from Karen @luvteachingon her cruise (in bold).  The first is from last night:

We just had an update from the captain. We were supposed to depart at 4:00 PM from Sitka but we're now departing about 6:00 PM. Still working on that azipod. We are officially missing Ketchikan and heading for Victoria. 

Sitka today was cloudy but very mild. The sun is trying to peak through! We were the first ship to have a presentation by the Sitka Raptor Center on-board today. It was at 2:30 and attendance was small but a lot of people were still on shore. There were two presenters and they brought a great horned owl named "Owlison" to show off. It was about a 35 minute presentation and they showed it on the screen behind the presenters as well so you got some good views of the owl. I hope this program continues. It was well worth going to see. 

And this one arrived early this morning.

I really enjoyed the Sitka Raptor Center presentation and hope it becomes a permanent fixture on those HAL ships that stop in Sitka. 

Our 6:00 PM update from the captain was that the port azipod is still not fixed so we are not going to Ketchikan and Victoria will be a courtesy stop of 1 hour but nobody is getting off. He anticipates we'll be in Seattle on time. Frankly, we've done these cruises so many times I'm ok with sea days and we weren't due to be in Victoria until 8 PM anyway. 

The crew has been wonderful, laundry I send out in the morning is usually back that evening, and the food has been delicious - maybe because I'm not cooking it? We are also really enjoying Lincoln Center Stage. 
  • Like 30
  • Thanks 9

Good afternoon.

It rained last night and it is a lot cooler 62°F and cloudy now at 12.30pm.

Thank you for today's daily and fleet reports Rich and Roy for the various lists.

I respect everyone unless they give me reason not to respect them and I respect Canada and the US where most of our nice posters are from.

All pets should be protected.

I have given lots of things away in good faith.

The quote seems strange to me.

Prayers for everyone on the care list and best wishes for all our friends currently on cruises.

Paulines cousin emigrated to Australia about 17 years ago and lives in Adelaide and they frequently travel to kangaroo Island.

Take care and stay safe friends.

Graham. 

• Like 31

Good morning,

Thank you to Rich and Roy for the lists.

Today proves to be another rainy day here in the Low Country of South Carolina.  

However, Jim and I are going to escape this soggy and humid weather next week.  We are getting ready to take a short trip up to Williamsburg, VA to visit some friends.

To be fair we took Covid tests last night and we both tested negative. We did it early because, if we tested positive, we would have had to cancel hotel reservations.  Thankfully we don’t have to do that.

Happy to get a change of scenery for a few days.  Really looking forward to seeing our friends and catching up.

Today’s days are a nice collection.  While we don’t have a dog, I think it is important that they are kept safe when there is a fire.   I do respect Canada as our northern neighbor and also i respect all Canadians. We became friends with many Canadians while we owned a timeshare in Barbados and still keep in touch with some of them.  I’m always giving something away.  Have another box ready to  go to the Thrift shop and to the Self Help Store.

I like the first part of the quote but am confused by the second part.  Maybe it is taken out of context.

I will skip the meal.  I have no idea what it is.

The wine looks good, hope the price is right

The drink sounds good as well.

I have never been to kangaroo islands.

Prayers for all on the cares list and cheers to all celebrating.

@Vict0riannI hope Pat gets his luggage soon.  Good luck.

We had a problem like that in Berlin a few years ago.  Both our bags did not appear on the carousel.  They showed up on the next flight and  were just stored in the luggage room.  However, British Airways sent me a text that they would be on the next flight to Nairobi, Kenya.  I was livid.  After hours on the phone, the bags were finally located.  We went back to the Berlin Airport to join hundreds of other people looking for their luggage.  Two hours later, our bags emerged.  Don’t know what would have happened had we not gone back to the airport.

RIP for Buddy and Nora Brown and prayers for the family members they leave behind.

Prayers for those with Covid and all those who are having health issues.

Have a great Friday and stay safe.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 34

I cannot believe that my first “Meal Suggestion for today” is something I have never eaten or even heard of prior to today.  I am glad I took the time to do some research on Spanish food.  It will come in handy during my Spanish Farewell tour on the Oosterdam in November.

In Spain’s Basque Country, marmitako means roughly “from the pot.” This rustic, filling soup, now common in Basque homes, began as a meal local tuna fishermen would make during long fishing routes on their boats, and still do.   

I’ll start with a basic recipe.  This soup would be very easy to make. I would probably use vegetable or seafood stock instead of water for a richer broth.  Adding the tuna right at the end, just as the soup is removed from the heat, keeps the fish moist and tender.

https://www.saveur.com/basque-tuna-potato-soup-recipe/ 

Marmitako Basque Tuna and Potato Soup

I really like this recipe because it also adds tomatoes and wine. I’d probably add carrots too.

https://spanishsabores.com/marmitako-recipe-basque-tuna-stew/

Basque tuna stew with potatoes, peppers, and tomatoes

I love fresh tuna and am fortunate enough to have several excellent fisher-people in my family. I frequently have an abundance of blue fin and yellow fin tuna to prepare.  However, I realize not everyone has access to fresh seafood so here is a recipe using Albacore tuna packed in water.

https://eatingeuropean.com/spanish-style-tuna-stew/

Spanish style tuna stew in a white bowl with bread on a side with tuna pouch at the back

Buen Provecho!

• Like 27
  • Thanks 14

Good morning, everyone.  

It is a good thing the Covid test requirement for the Netherlands and our cruise was dropped.  We would have been doing the internet tests last night from the hotel, but the hotel internet wasn’t working. Couldn’t check in for our flights because Verifly was blocking me.  

Today is going better.  We are checked in and past security and heading for breakfast.  Hope everyone has a great day!

• Like 39
  • Thanks 4

Thank you for today’s Report & Daily, Rich! It was a delightful morning walk today. Not a hint of the big H (humidity). We are finishing up breakfast & getting ready to head to Kennedy Space Center. This is our last full day together, so we are hitting the road. 

Thank you for keeping our lists Roy!  Morning Dailyites. Again, I am woefully behind, but I should get back on track tomorrow. 

Today’s meme….

F4D7FB4C-6C09-4A42-B4D7-583B3D7689F4.jpeg.89b8ffcaed34d0e4224faa78a41ec164.jpeg

And @Quartzsite Cruiser Lenda, the girls loved your idea of having them pick out some memes for me to use after they leave. So once I post this, I will be handing the iPad to them to start working. Hope this helps make the 90 minute drive whiz by for them. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Pieropan 2019 Soave Classico

The wine sounds perfect for a hot Summer day. Would love a sip, or two. Available from several online distributors with prices starting at $17.95.

Winemaker Notes

The 2019 Pieropan Soave Classico is a brilliant straw yellow color with greenish hints. The delicate nose is reminiscent of almond blossoms and marzipan. Good depth of fruit on the palate, nicely balanced by a zingy acidity that enhances its long length.

This wine makes an excellent partner for soups, starters, especially vegetable based such as asparagus, peas, courgette, egg-based dishes or seafood and fresh water fish dishes. It is an excellent aperitif, especially when served with simple canapés.

WE94 Wine Enthusiast

Fragrant and delicious, this opens with heady aromas of white spring flower, citrus and tropical fruit. Vibrant and tangy, the savory palate doles out juicy grapefruit, white peach and lemon drop before a saline mineral finish. Bright acidity keeps it crisp and balanced.

JS92 James Suckling

Aromas of fresh pear, lemon curd, white pepper and wet stones. Hints of wild herbs. It’s medium-bodied with bright acidity. Wonderfully focused with a light spritz to the zesty, mineral notes on the finish. Drink or hold. Screw cap.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 30
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 2

Oh my, the food pictures are much larger than I intended!  I will try to figure out how to correct before tomorrow's post.

To Kill a Mockingbird is one of my favorite books.  Atticus is a true hero.  I will be reading on the beach today!

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Happy Friday!  We are having a small group of neighbors over for brisket tomorrow so I will clean pollen off the screen porch.  It is neverending.   I got a lot done yesterday digging up volunteer plants and trees that are being overwhelmed by their neighbors.  I pot them, bring them back down state and overwinter for my garden club plant sale.

Prayers for all needing them. 🙏 Thank you for the Daily Reports!   @summer slopethanks for the second Bahama Mama recipe.  No banana.  

IMG_20220714_095335975_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220714_095752112_HDR.jpg

• Like 30
  • Thanks 2

Let me put on my English teacher hat to help you understand the quote.

It seemed that Scout Finch was always reading. She had started to read at a young age. Long before starting school, reading seemed natural to Scout. It was simply a part of her life.  On Scout's first day of school, however, her teacher told her to stop reading. Miss Caroline said that Scout should no longer read with her father each night. Instead, she wanted Scout to learn how to read the "right" way. It was after this scene that Scout made the following statement:

Until I feared I would lose it, I never loved to read. One does not love breathing (To Kill a Mockingbird, Chapter 2).

After Miss Caroline's new command, Scout gained a new appreciation for reading. She realized that she valued reading. It was important to her. She also realized that reading was so essential to her life that it was like breathing. She did not pay attention to it, but yet it was a necessary part of daily life.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 13

35 minutes ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone.  

It is a good thing the Covid test requirement for the Netherlands and our cruise was dropped.  We would have been doing the internet tests last night from the hotel, but the hotel internet wasn’t working. Couldn’t check in for our flights because Verifly was blocking me.  

Today is going better.  We are checked in and past security and heading for breakfast.  Hope everyone has a great day!

I hope you all have an amazing cruise Debbie.

Graham.

• Like 18