Food - what’s good, don’t miss or should avoid

We are taking our first Royal cruise on serenade next Sunday. I’ve heard service has declined a bit. Just looking for some recent food reviews or recommendations. I am the more adventurous one and will try new things, eat seafood, etc.  Hubby is a meat and potatoes guy - no fish or cheesy things. We do not have an ungraded dining plan and are hoping to mostly just eat what is included - unless there is a specific thing we should not miss. 

I find the food in the MDR and Windjammer to be good - not exciting, memorable or fabulous - just good.  Since you like to be adventurous, don't hesitate to order new things to try.  They will bring you multiple servings of whatever you like, and swap out other items for things you don't like.  For example, I had never tried escargot until I was on a cruise ship and the waiter explained that if I did not like it, he would whisk it away and replace it with something else.  I loved it, so after that, he would always bring me an escargot appetizer in addition to whatever else I ordered.  I've had them bring me multiple entrees, extra steaks and lobster tails - whatever I liked, often without me even asking.  

• Like 4

I have lots of favorites on the main dining room menu, and a hack for the menus, too.

Key Lime pie or Apple Blossom Pie: DO.NOT.MISS!

Duck a l'Orange is very good; get extra sauce

Grilled salmon is available every night

Garlic tiger prawns....yum! Order double

Lobster night:  automatic double order

YES! Escargot!!

OK, for the hacks:

Go to the RCCL app on your phone, and look at the vegetarian menu for every day.  The pan seared asparagus is a wonderful side for your main course.  Vegetable tempura is outstanding.  Grilled peach salad.

I will order an entire meal of multiple appetizers sometimes.  Plus, I get the cheese plate to nibble on in between courses.  It's very good.

If they have a good sounding pasta dish, order it as a side dish with your main.

Tell your waiter which kind of rolls you prefer in your bread basket.

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, pcur said:

Garlic tiger prawns....yum! Order double

they are not prawns. They are shrimp. Do order double, though.

277685144_20211127_193028garlictigershrimp.thumb.jpg.d5eaba7382e70c71d32479000488af18.jpg

Don't miss Peach Shortcake with strawberry-lime sauce. Exquisite.

310538583_20211123_190103peachshortcake.thumb.jpg.5e6cecd9a67fcaed1b34e57ae07de381.jpg

DO SKIP the beef stroganoff. Unless you like pickles in your beef and pasta dish...

image.thumb.jpeg.fe6d1bcfc4a99ceb60f69d2229ee7f8a.jpeg

I usually love risottos and especially anything with mushrooms, but I hated their Wild Mushroom risotto. It was more like an awful tasting goo.

image.thumb.jpeg.65d741ee14b3ea8d908510a449d298a9.jpeg

Do try everything else. It's an adventure!

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

277685144_20211127_193028garlictigershrimp.thumb.jpg.d5eaba7382e70c71d32479000488af18.jpg

Those may very well be shrimp, but once peeled and cooked, it's nearly impossible to tell shrimp from prawns - it's not about the size.  Regardless, if they do substitute shrimp for prawns or vice-versa, they probably should tell you.  It would be like selling ground bison and calling it extra-lean ground beef - few people could tell the difference, but it is not the same animal.

58 minutes ago, rudeney said:

Those may very well be shrimp, but once peeled and cooked, it's nearly impossible to tell shrimp from prawns - it's not about the size. 

it's not about the size. It's about texture. It's like the lobster - sure, it looks like a large shrimp, but it's very different texture wise.

And, yes, we can definitely tell the difference between bison and beef.

The lamb shanks and the little lamb chops were very good .

Beef tenderloin was good too. As i recall they had it on the same night they served lobster , so i ordered both .

4 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

Don't miss Peach Shortcake with strawberry-lime sauce. Exquisite.

310538583_20211123_190103peachshortcake.thumb.jpg.5e6cecd9a67fcaed1b34e57ae07de381.jpg

DO SKIP the beef stroganoff. Unless you like pickles in your beef and pasta dish...

image.thumb.jpeg.fe6d1bcfc4a99ceb60f69d2229ee7f8a.jpeg

I usually love risottos and especially anything with mushrooms, but I hated their Wild Mushroom risotto. It was more like an awful tasting goo.

image.thumb.jpeg.65d741ee14b3ea8d908510a449d298a9.jpeg

Do try everything else. It's an adventure!

I agree on mushroom risotto.  I love mushroom risotto and it was terrible.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HicksRA said:

Avoid the Kummelweck sandwich…..  😀

I have been lucky & have had a few good ones.... different ships & staff can make a difference to any of Royals menu that is available fleet wide...the sandwich is complimentary..give it a try 😁

• Like 2

I know you want to avoid speciality dining, but Serenade has a fabulous Chef's Table experience.  Best overall meal in the fleet.

If that's not your style, go to Giovanni's for Osso Buco. Awesomeness 

MDR hint, get banana split from kid's menu

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Beef short rib entree in the main dining room is a personal favorite.  Essentially it's Sunday pot roast and they are pretty consistent on turning out a good plate of it.  I second the recommendation on the poblano pepper soup, which can be refreshingly spicy for an MDR dish since they are usually kept on the bland side to appeal to a wide variety of tastes.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

it's not about the size. It's about texture. It's like the lobster - sure, it looks like a large shrimp, but it's very different texture wise.

And, yes, we can definitely tell the difference between bison and beef.

Well, you are more of a "foodie" than me. I can't tell the taste or texture of a prawn from a shrimp.  And I have bought many pounds of fresh (live and still crawling) shrimp from boats on the gulf coast as they were headed back to port.