Surprising Friends on a Cruise

LoveLhasa15

Friends of ours are going on a cruise.  They have asked us to go along since we have cruised together many times.  At the time we didn't think we could go; however, after a few weeks, things changed and we found out we were able to go.  We went ahead and booked the cruise but didn't tell our friends because we want to surprise  them but not until after we have boarded the ship.  Originally we thought we could order something to be delivered to their cabin and have a note on it "from friends in cabin xxxx.  I think that you can only order from what the ship offers (not much is offered and they don't drink alcoholic beverages).  Also I'm not sure you can order from an outside source.  I was wondering if anyone may have any other creative ideas and would like to share them with me.  Thank you!

Once onboard  take a card to their cabin  & leave it for them 

inviting them  to meet in a specific location (pick a time)

Be careful they do not spot you in the port before boarding

Have fun

• Like 3

Can you actually get their cabin number from the cruise line they are using, or is that information that is considered private?

I'm not sure how you can get it from your friends without them wondering why you are asking.

52 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Once onboard  take a card to their cabin  & leave it for them 

inviting them  to meet in a specific location (pick a time)

Be careful they do not spot you in the port before boarding

Have fun

Thank you for your response.  I'm hoping that we won't see them at the port.

10 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Can you actually get their cabin number from the cruise line they are using, or is that information that is considered private?

I'm not sure how you can get it from your friends without them wondering why you are asking.

Thank you!  I do have their cabin number as we use the same travel agent and she was able to provide us with it.

• Like 1

Just now, LuvMyLhasa said:

Thank you!  I do have their cabin number as we use the same travel agent and she was able to provide us with it.

Good that there was a solution; otherwise I think it would have been a problem.

Do you know of some activity they will always participate in?  Maybe plan to be at that activity before they get there.

OR!  If you know they will eat in a certain dining venue for dinner on the first night, plan to be there before them, get the table and tell the host that they will be joining so they get brought to sit with you, if the cruise line allows that type of seating for dining.

• Like 1

One time a friend of ours bought a sail-away gift (chocolate strawberries, sparkling wine) to be delivered to our cabin.  We found out about this after we returned home and she asked if we enjoyed her gift (probably a bit ticked off that we hadn't thanked her).  Nothing ever showed up in the cabin and we never would have known about it if she hadn't said something.  

2 hours ago, pris993 said:

After you board, simply call them on their cabin phone and say surprise!!  That is what our grandson did, very simple.

What a nice surprise!

This reminds me of approximately 15-20 years ago, when my parents were celebrating a major anniversary.  All of us are scattered around the country, and we are the furthest from the others.  One daughter invited them (her grandparents, obviously) to visit both granddaughters and a few great grandchildren.  They planned for the adults to go to a certain favorite waterfront restaurant for dinner that first night.

Unbeknownst to my parents, it was arranged that DH and I would fly cross country and [crossing fingers; back then flights were usually vaguely on time] and we'd be already seated at a large table when they arrived.

We got in very early, checked in to our hotel, and then went to the restaurant before they even opened for dinner (this was arranged).  So we lingered there for quite some time, enjoying the view, watching the main door like hawks.

They all approached and my parents were totally oblivous, since they had no idea that "anything was happening".   They were brought to our table, and there were truly remarkable expressions on their faces as "who the strangers at the table actually were" registered.

Note:  It later occurred to me that we were lucky that the shock didn't cause some sort of adverse medical event.  I can't even imagine if something like that had happened.  IF we could have a do-over, I think we would have tried for a slightly less dramatic start.

But all went well, and they talked about it for the remainder of their lives!

🙂 

CC is an appropriate forum for this:  My parents took the extended family on our first two cruises, back in the mid-70s.  And of course, there was no looking back!

GC

• Like 2

A small floral arrangement with a note from "friends in cabin XXX" would be another idea.  

I have sailed on one cruise when neither of us knew we were going to be aboard and first met on the elevator during embarkation.  Our reaction when we saw each other probably caused the others on the elevator thought we were nuts!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

What a nice surprise!

This reminds me of approximately 15-20 years ago, when my parents were celebrating a major anniversary.  All of us are scattered around the country, and we are the furthest from the others.  One daughter invited them (her grandparents, obviously) to visit both granddaughters and a few great grandchildren.  They planned for the adults to go to a certain favorite waterfront restaurant for dinner that first night.

Unbeknownst to my parents, it was arranged that DH and I would fly cross country and [crossing fingers; back then flights were usually vaguely on time] and we'd be already seated at a large table when they arrived.

We got in very early, checked in to our hotel, and then went to the restaurant before they even opened for dinner (this was arranged).  So we lingered there for quite some time, enjoying the view, watching the main door like hawks.

They all approached and my parents were totally oblivous, since they had no idea that "anything was happening".   They were brought to our table, and there were truly remarkable expressions on their faces as "who the strangers at the table actually were" registered.

Note:  It later occurred to me that we were lucky that the shock didn't cause some sort of adverse medical event.  I can't even imagine if something like that had happened.  IF we could have a do-over, I think we would have tried for a slightly less dramatic start.

But all went well, and they talked about it for the remainder of their lives!

🙂 

CC is an appropriate forum for this:  My parents took the extended family on our first two cruises, back in the mid-70s.  And of course, there was no looking back!

GC

Thank you for your suggestion and story.  We could call the; however, I would love to see their reaction.  That would make it more fun.

3 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

A small floral arrangement with a note from "friends in cabin XXX" would be another idea.  

I have sailed on one cruise when neither of us knew we were going to be aboard and first met on the elevator during embarkation.  Our reaction when we saw each other probably caused the others on the elevator thought we were nuts!

Sending the floral arrangement was my first idea, but I don't think our cruiseline offers floral arrangements since Covid and I don't think you can get them from an outside vendor.  But I will have to check this out.  Thank you.

• Like 1

We once pranked D and family by telling them we had booked the wrong date and were disembarking the day they boarded. Then as they boarded texted them to say we had left a gift with passengers in cabin  xxx, next door to them, and would they collect it as soon as they boarded so their neighbours could hand it over. We had booked a B2B and they joined us for the second week…of course we were the ‘neighbours’.

• Like 1

If you plan to "surprise" them once on board, keep in mind that they probably have planned out excursions, activities, dining times, etc.

One may not be able to join them if you wait to announce your presence after you all board.

• Like 2

Ways we've surprised people or been surprised:

Since you know their cabin #  Tell them you got them something and it'll be in their cabin when they arrive and to call your cell phone when they go to their cabin -Obviously nothing will be in the cabin but you'll know their location - Quickly Go to cabin knowing they are inside - knock on door covering peephole   SURPRISE!!!!  Works best if your cabin is close to theirs - hiding spot. 

If you use the same Travel agent - set it up that you're sitting together at dinner  Show up early cover your faces with menus then when they sit down ask them - what looks good or do they cruise often Surprise!! 

Works best if know when they will arrive at embarkation terminal -  Be sure to get onboard well before or shortly after - As they are in awe of the ship... tap on the shoulder  excuse me sir/miss.   Friends did it to me in the lunch buffet -  sat down with tray... tap on shoulder "you dropped something" turn to thank them it's friend. 

• Like 2

Just make sure you contact your friends early on. A friend of mine went to a resort where they had one of those newlywed/marriage games that many cruise lines do. My friend is usually quite reserved, actually very reserved,  but he and his wife decided to 'let their hair down' and participated in the show. Hey, they were amongst strangers and no one would possibly know who they were. Wrong! It turned out his cousin was in the crowd and was quite shocked to learn where and when and .... my friend and his wife 'did it'. 😳 Needless to say, the conversations at his large family dinners were never the same again! 

So surprise your friends but do it before they get a chance to 'let their hair down'. 

Given the number of people who have posted over the years about pre-ordered items never making it to their cabin in a timely fashion, I would be hesitant to go that route. Going to their cabin and surprising them would be the easiest thing to pre-arrange, like the suggestion above about a pretend gift delivery at a certain time.

Edited by h-sar

How fun! I imagine you'll want to meet up with them right away. Your head must be swimming with ideas. 

I'd probably take a selfie outside their room and send them a text that says "Tag, you're it." and then go "hide" at a bar. Take another selfie, say "Wish you were here," send, and then move locations again...Draw out the surprise. 🙂 You should be able to get three in before they find you.

These all sound like a hoot for the surprisers. Maybe not so much for the surprised. Make absolutely sure they are the type to appreciate your fun at their expense. I would be furious with you as you make me feel like an idiot. 

On 7/19/2022 at 2:43 PM, DirtyDawg said:

Wrong! It turned out his cousin was in the crowd and was quite shocked to learn where and when and .... my friend and his wife 'did it'. 😳 Needless to say, the conversations at his large family dinners were never the same again! 

This is an issue for adults?  C'mon man, who cares?

We had friends that surprised us in May.  We frequently text each other especially if one of us is cruising and the other is not.

Our friends texted us and said “so are you onboard yet enjoyed your first drink”.  And we replied “yes we are finally onboard and hanging out at the Viking Crown (Mariner) waiting for the rooms to open”.

A few moments later we looked up and they stepped off the elevator!!  We had no clue!!!  It was so awesome!!!!❤️❤️❤️

• Like 1

We once met a couple from our roll call since they lived only a town away from DW's family. Then on the cruise when we were at the muster drill, we were standing right behind them. And I said, "You fly all the way across the Atlantic Ocean, and you can't get away from people from Long Island."

• Like 1