Are we crazy...thinking of only bringing carry on bags to Europe!

Cruising7in2017

We are doing this for the first time but not because of the airline issue. We will be doing 3 weeks in Italy in 5 cities before the cruise and we didn't want to deal with big bags on trains, cobblestones and stairs. It seems the key is everything mix n match, cruise dinner clothes all use the same shoes and wash some things in the sink or shower. We booked Airbnb's half way thru the trip and the last night before boardig with washing machines and will send our dinner clothes to be pressed when we board the ship. After overpacking for many cruises I realized I mostly wore my black dress pants with 3 tops and 1 dress. Not repeating outfits on a cruise dinner is pretty far down the list of priorities for my vacation. My husband will be in Dockers and golf or hawaiian shirts.

We have never doen this planned before but we did end up in Quebec for 2 weeks with only the carryon. We had to buy clothes and made due with much less than we had originally packed. 

• Like 3

On 7/27/2022 at 4:16 PM, Cruising7in2017 said:

Are we crazy? Anybody else only doing only carry on for European cruise (7 night cruise plus 2 before and 3 after)?

I have had so many friends that have lost luggage this summer traveling or it arrives 10 days late!

I think everything we can fit everything in our carry on if we a launder our sundresses/bring steamer, since it is like 95 degrees in most of our ports, all of the clothes are light. We are a family of 5 (kids clothes are smaller too). Think it is doable? We are traveling 1st class, I am not sure if that helps, 1 roller carry on and personal item (backpack w/electronics/books/empty water bottle)? Has anyone else done this or had bad luck with luggage this summer. 

TIA

I don't think it is a problem if you are very careful. Carefully check the specific airlines rules and bring the largest carryon and personal items they allow (even for the children). Additionally, I have never seen the airline stop anyone with a carryon, personal item and a water bottle over the shoulder and a reading book (no need to pack the water bottle and reading book). 

Most ships also provide laundry service.  On long (eg, greater then 2 weeks) land trips I figure on at least one laundry.

Also, think about what you can easily buy at the destination in Europe so you don't have to pack that item, just buy it there. In the alternative, check one item of luggage for the whole family with the assumption that it will get lost (pack only items you might want to have but can get away without and don't cost much to replace) in the worst case scenario you won't have the optional items and might have to file a claim with the airline.

21 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Bring check in luggage, don't put anything irreplaceable in it...If it somehow gets lost, shopping spree!!!

The other useful travel hack I've heard of lately, for couples traveling together, is each pack half your clothes in the other person's checked bag.  Then if the airline loses one of your two bags, at least you will both have 50% of your wardrobe for your cruise.  Better than having nothing or having to purchase all replacements.

• Like 1

OP didn't say what airports they'll be flying in/out of.  Some are handling the situation better than others.  

Good point!   I guess my family and I were lucky. 

For the first time in as many trips, we traveled overseas without doing a cruise.  There were 4 of us that flew into Heathrow and out of Charles De Gaulle.  We each had a checkable suitcase, a rolling carry on, and a large personal item.   We even took the train from London to Paris with these items.  Fairly easy, BTW.  Not one of us lost a piece of luggage the entire trip.  Actually, our luggage was left on an airplane in ATL on the return trip home when the flight was cancelled. We took a different flight home from our luggage.  The luggage was waiting for us at our home airport when we arrived.

As a side note, I cannot imagine cruising without packing some nice outfits for dinner, and clean clothes for all days that we do excursions.   However, we once took a 2 week trip to Israel and Jordan with only large carry-ons and large personal items.

If I were you, I would be more concerned about catching Covid on the trip than losing  luggage.  DH started with what he though was a sinus infection on the next to last day of our 9 day trip.  We had test kits with us and he tested Negative.  After being back home for a couple of days (5 days after he started feeling bad), I started with a scratchy throat. Took a home test which was negative.  We were both getting worse, so I insisted that DH have a PCR (my insurance would not pay) and he tested Positive. So  I took another home test and it was Positive.  We have been home from the trip for almost 3 weeks and are both still hacking up a lung.  I have heard of multiple people that have gone overseas and have come back with Covid.  

Good luck whatever you decide to do!!!

12 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

After reading this thread, I decided to just take carry-on luggage on my next cruise!……but my wife said she was going too!!    Ooops. 

Den

My wife:

3 weeks in Europe? Sure, a carryon is fine. 

3 nights in northern Michigan, one of which is my brother's (2nd) wedding? We better bring an extra bag because 5 pairs of shoes are joining us. 

• Haha 1

My post was (trying to be) a joke that I was only taking luggage and my wife said she was going too.

My wife packs better than I do…..the shoes are always a challenge, and shes got it down impressively. We teach a travel class and one of the classes are demonstrating packing…..probably the favorite of the classes.

Den

Edited by Denny01
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

OP didn't say what airports they'll be flying in/out of.  Some are handling the situation better than others.  

Good point!   I guess my family and I were lucky. 

For the first time in as many trips, we traveled overseas without doing a cruise.  There were 4 of us that flew into Heathrow and out of Charles De Gaulle.  We each had a checkable suitcase, a rolling carry on, and a large personal item.   We even took the train from London to Paris with these items.  Fairly easy, BTW.  Not one of us lost a piece of luggage the entire trip.  Actually, our luggage was left on an airplane in ATL on the return trip home when the flight was cancelled. We took a different flight home from our luggage.  The luggage was waiting for us at our home airport when we arrived.

As a side note, I cannot imagine cruising without packing some nice outfits for dinner, and clean clothes for all days that we do excursions.   However, we once took a 2 week trip to Israel and Jordan with only large carry-ons and large personal items.

If I were you, I would be more concerned about catching Covid on the trip than losing  luggage.  DH started with what he though was a sinus infection on the next to last day of our 9 day trip.  We had test kits with us and he tested Negative.  After being back home for a couple of days (5 days after he started feeling bad), I started with a scratchy throat. Took a home test which was negative.  We were both getting worse, so I insisted that DH have a PCR (my insurance would not pay) and he tested Positive. So  I took another home test and it was Positive.  We have been home from the trip for almost 3 weeks and are both still hacking up a lung.  I have heard of multiple people that have gone overseas and have come back with Covid.  

Good luck whatever you decide to do!!!

good news this morning on the tampa news, the "experts" predict over a million new cases a day this fall of the covid....Instead of worrying about how much luggage to take, i think some masks and the new booster when it comes out this fall might be more useful.

18 minutes ago, retired dude said:

good news this morning on the tampa news, the "experts" predict over a million new cases a day this fall of the covid....Instead of worrying about how much luggage to take, i think some masks and the new booster when it comes out this fall might be more useful.

A million new cases a day?  That would be a stretch but I guess it could happen right after the holidays like it did in early Jan 2022.    That is why I have decided never to cruise in COVID peak periods after TGiving and Christmas.

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/us-reports-least-11-mln-covid-cases-day-shattering-global-record-2022-01-11/

• Like 1

My husband and I received our 2nd booster 3 weeks before our trip as recommended for the optical time to get into our system and be protected for our trip. It either did not work, or it kept us from becoming even more ill.  As soon as we are eligible again, we will get the newest booster.

As a side note, my grandchildren started school yesterday.  My daughter is an elementary school  teacher.  She had many students out, but the most glaring was the fact that 38 of the middle school teachers were out with Covid on the first day back!!!

20 minutes ago, Iamthesea said:

My husband and I received our 2nd booster 3 weeks before our trip as recommended for the optical time to get into our system and be protected for our trip. It either did not work, or it kept us from becoming even more ill.  As soon as we are eligible again, we will get the newest booster.

As a side note, my grandchildren started school yesterday.  My daughter is an elementary school  teacher.  She had many students out, but the most glaring was the fact that 38 of the middle school teachers were out with Covid on the first day back!!!

I am the (semi retired) administrator for the company where I work.  We require any employee coming to the office to upload proof of being fully vaccinated but not requiring boosters.  Folks that test positive have to report that to me and I then send them the various RTO protocols that must be followed.  We average about 4-5 people per week that report testing positive.  I can tell you that ALL of them have reported very mild cold like symptoms (I had the same a few months ago) and within 5 days they are cleared to RTO.  The vaccines work and the boosters just add even more protection in keeping the cases mild.    

4 hours ago, retired dude said:

Why dear?

You part of the Mass Psychosis group? Do you do independent research dear?

5 hours ago, retired dude said:

Instead of worrying about how much luggage to take, i think some masks and the new booster when it comes out this fall might be more useful.

Why? Masks and boosters take up very little room.  These are not mutually exclusive considerations....unless you think worrying about Covid necessitates packing a larger bag.  Or maybe some people just can't walk and chew gum at the same time.

I just came back from a 10 day Alaskan cruise, using a carry-on. It wasn't that difficult, but I always do carry-on sizes, even if I do ship through a bag. 

These two websites have some helpful ideas:

https://www.travelfashiongirl.com/

https://herpackinglist.com/

If you google: "packing in  a carry-on for an European cruise", you will be astonished at the number of articles!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PandaBear62 said:

I just came back from a 10 day Alaskan cruise, using a carry-on. It wasn't that difficult, but I always do carry-on sizes, even if I do ship through a bag. 

These two websites have some helpful ideas:

https://www.travelfashiongirl.com/

https://herpackinglist.com/

If you google: "packing in  a carry-on for an European cruise", you will be astonished at the number of articles!

Both websites are really nothing but ads, really not much about packing, almost exclusively “click ons” enticing what to buy and it takes forever to get out.  If you have not clicked on the links, I’d advise to not do so.

• Thanks 1

Do a Google search on packing for 60 days in a roll a board.  We just came back from a European cruise combined with a land trip. The method is doable and it worked for us. It’s all about the way it is packed.  Granted you need to have a wardrobe that can be mixed and matched.  We were only gone three weeks.  For those that are truly interested in making it work take a look and give it a try.  

Edited by mauimary
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all of the wonderful tips, not sure how COVID made it into my carry on luggage post, but not surprised! We are of course concerned about covid, the children (ages 9-12) and all of the adults are vaccinated/boosted and/or double boosted. Our origin is Chicago-Barcelona (direct, my parents) and Detroit-CDG-Barcelona. We have ALL decided to take carry-ons and are being tested at our hotel in Barcelona 2 days before the cruise. If someone tests positive we have a plan B, it helps hubby and I lived many years abroad and speak Spanish, French and Italian. Happy covid free cruising everyone (with carry on luggage)!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Cruising7in2017 said:

Thanks for all of the wonderful tips, not sure how COVID made it into my carry on luggage post, but not surprised! We are of course concerned about covid, the children (ages 9-12) and all of the adults are vaccinated/boosted and/or double boosted. Our origin is Chicago-Barcelona (direct, my parents) and Detroit-CDG-Barcelona. We have ALL decided to take carry-ons and are being tested at our hotel in Barcelona 2 days before the cruise. If someone tests positive we have a plan B, it helps hubby and I lived many years abroad and speak Spanish, French and Italian. Happy covid free cruising everyone (with carry on luggage)!

I hope you all have a great cruise, now “carry on”!

• Haha 2

For a cruise there is no benefit to us. If I had to pack like I was bouncing from city to city every 2 to 3 days I would just do a tour by land. Part of the trade-off for getting the limited drive-by experience a cruise gives you is unpacking and packing only once. In a few weeks we will have two men, limited toiletries, two 25" rollers and 2 carryons + backpacks or day bags. I'm not washing underwear in a sink or dressing for dinner like I'm hiking the Amazon just to save a few pounds. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sascol said:

This is all a joke, right?  Never, ever less than two rollers and two garment bags for 2 people. You’re going on a cruise, not to WalMart and a Motel 6. 

Yes, we are going on a cruise, not for a months stay at Buckingham Palace

• Like 1