Luggage stolen from car

11 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

That's smart as it happens in the US as well especially tourist areas.  The thieves can spot the tourists right away.  When I lived in France you could spot an American tourist from miles away.  Here in the Miami area the thieves target rental cars, hotels and shopping malls.  

Yup. Learned yrs ago not to look like a Tourist, back in 80's idea was not to look like a Soldier and when we were allowed to have longer Hair stationed in Europe. 

Edited by ONECRUISER

1 hour ago, vjmatty said:

This whole thread makes me want to park a car in some random city with a bunch of snakes in the trunk. Not poisonous of course, that would be illegal, but just to scare the crap out of someone trying to break in.

That will teach them

• Haha 2

I remember a thread from years ago about a couple flying in a day early before cruising out of Fort Lauderdale or Miami.  Their tote bag was stolen out of their rental vehicle while they were sightseeing, and their passports were in the tote bag.  They were unable to cruise.

I live in a condo and refuse to load luggage into my car the night before a cruise.  And I take every piece of luggage into my hotel room when we spend the night at the port.  I feel a little silly checking in for one night with six pieces of luggage, but I am not willing to take a chance.

• Like 9

16 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

That's smart as it happens in the US as well especially tourist areas.  The thieves can spot the tourists right away.  When I lived in France you could spot an American tourist from miles away.  Here in the Miami area the thieves target rental cars, hotels and shopping malls.  

I can spot European tourists here in the States a mile away too but I leave them alone.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

In St Maarten, Dutch side, had a European gentleman in a very small Speedo and a topless sunbather on what did not appear to be a clothes optional beach judging by the number of locals gawking!

2 hours ago, rrraydon said:

Right!! 🤣

I was thinking, if that happened to me, I always have 2 sundresses, a bathing suit and flops in my oversized purse. I could make it on that for a week if I was forced to. 😂

I always tell my wife to make sure she packs a toothbrush and a pair of panties. And, if there is limited room pack the toothbrush!

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, la_croisiere_s'amuse said:

Sadly very common in Italy. I remember my confusion when I first lived there--people would get out of their cars carrying their car stereos. I asked what that was about, and was told that they are always removable, because otherwise people would break in and steal them.  Quite an eye-opener for me!

Very common in our country as well, probably even more so

• Like 1

2 hours ago, poocher said:

maybe but clothes sizing and tailoring can be very different in Europe.  Happened to my aunt & uncle many years ago and they could NOT find clothes that fit.  She spent a lot of time washing things by hand!  

I got to say, I am pretty certain the stores in Italy sell sizes beyond just what Sophia Loren can wear

• Haha 1

Oh my..we love Italy and have visited numerous times.....but there are lots of bad events.

Over 40 years ago, I "Eurailed" all over Europe for 3 months...in Rome, I (and many others) witnessed a gypsy actually stealing coins fron the Trevi Fountain...incredible. 

Below the Spanish Steps, a lady carrying multiple shopping bags, was swarmed by about 6 young teens and "took" all the bags...the Italian police showed up but the teens simply disappeared. 

4 hours ago, Magicat said:

A friend of ours was checking into a hotel in Italy and had a piece of luggage taken from right behind him.

I heard the same think in Barcelona. Couple getting out of cab 

I am so paranoid. When we stop at a rest area even at home. Somebody stays with the car at all times. Not worth the risk 

We just got some Apple Air Tags and plan to put one in each piece of luggage and carry ons. It won’t stop them from ever being stolen or ending up at a wrong airport, but we should get an idea of where the item is. Who knows? Might some day recover the item or catch a thief. (I know — “Hope springs eternal…”). 

4 hours ago, LGW59 said:

I got to say, I am pretty certain the stores in Italy sell sizes beyond just what Sophia Loren can wear

3 hours ago, poocher said:

They did not find that to be the case.  It was many years ago so things may be different now.

I had similar problems, at a size 10-12. 😒 The only shops where the clothes would reliably fit me catered to my mom's (or grandma's) generation, which didn't exactly fit my young professional vibe. 😄

On the way to visit me in South Carolina, my parents stopped at a Cracker Barrell near Charlotte, North Carolina for breakfast. In less than an hour thieves popped open the cap on our truck & stole all my dad's clothes, his computer bag & one of my mom's bags.  The computer turned up 5 years later in Atlanta.