Self Administered Covid 19 Proxy Testing

Can I use my own CDC/FDA approved test kits (which I have many of) to do an at home proxied Covid Test for the required 48 hour negative test before setting sail from NYC to Bermuda?  NCL's partnered provider is more than double the price of this service (which is $20 and you use your own tests) rapid test and trace dot com.  which will provide the ehealth proxy and documentation.  Has anyone else used another service other than the one NCL has listed?  Appreciate your input and thank you.

yes you can use any telehealth service. it does not have to be one from ncl. the test needs done with someone watching you via a telehealth service for the results to be accepted. Onpoint testing, azoca and rapidtestandtrace is good option to use that is cheaper

• Like 3

3 hours ago, whenisthemidnightbuffet? said:

Can I use my own CDC/FDA approved test kits (which I have many of) to do an at home proxied Covid Test for the required 48 hour negative test before setting sail from NYC to Bermuda?  NCL's partnered provider is more than double the price of this service (which is $20 and you use your own tests) rapid test and trace dot com.  which will provide the ehealth proxy and documentation.  Has anyone else used another service other than the one NCL has listed?  Appreciate your input and thank you.

I was wondering the same thing and will be following this thread.  When are you sailing?  I would like to know how you make out and will follow suit if NCL accepts it. I just ordered more tests. Are the Binax ones or ihealth okay to use as long as they are proctored?

17 hours ago, whenisthemidnightbuffet? said:

It is my understanding that Binax tests are used by many of the Proctoring services.  Just want to hear from others who have sailed/are sailing soon if we can use any 3rd party proctor service.

I did.  I used Onpoint Testing via Zoom for my Getaway Cruise last month.  I used one of the free gov't tests that were sent out several weeks ago (iHealth).

Pretty easy.  Onpoint charged $14.95 and provided a test result to my email in printable form.  Simple!

IMG_0472.jpeg

IMG_0470.jpeg

IMG_0471.jpeg

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 2

Did they check the expiration dates on the test?  The ones we got for free expired in about 2 months but the expiration date was extended.

Just wondering if they would accept tests that were extended or if they would only go by the expiration on the box.

Thanks!

53 minutes ago, goldmom said:

Did they check the expiration dates on the test?  The ones we got for free expired in about 2 months but the expiration date was extended.

Just wondering if they would accept tests that were extended or if they would only go by the expiration on the box.

Thanks!

i used a service called Azova twice and they did not check the dates on the box

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, graphicguy said:

I did.  I used Onpoint Testing via Zoom for my Getaway Cruise last month.  I used one of the free gov't tests that were sent out several weeks ago (iHealth).

Pretty easy.  Onpoint charged $14.95 and provided a test result to my email in printable form.  Simple!

IMG_0472.jpeg

IMG_0470.jpeg

IMG_0471.jpeg

How long did it take to get the email verification?  How long in advance did you set up an appointment?

The question was asked but overlooked... Did On Point verify or care about the expiration date on the test? Like others, I have a bunch of the orange iHealth tests that are a few months beyond the expiration date.

Thanks.

Denise

1 hour ago, Sea saw 56 said:

How long did it take to get the email verification?  How long in advance did you set up an appointment?

I set up the appt the previous day.  I took the test the day before I departed to fly out to the pier (MCO), or two days before we set sail.

I believe I had the email within an hour of the proctored test being administered.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Sundiego said:

The question was asked but overlooked... Did On Point verify or care about the expiration date on the test? Like others, I have a bunch of the orange iHealth tests that are a few months beyond the expiration date.

Thanks.

Denise

NP!

I had to show the Procter the unopened box before he gave me instructions on what to do.  IIRC, he asked to see the part of the box where the expiration date was visible.  He was quite familiar with iHealth COVID test and how it should be used.

• Thanks 2

We used the official CDC at-home tests and telehealthed it, and that whole process was painless and accepted by Norwegian.   In fact, I would suggest NOT using the cruise lines' "official" tests, because if you ever test positive, often those results get reported directly to the cruise line.  You want yourself to be in charge of how to handle a positive test result, and not the cruise line.

• Like 1

We bought a 6-pack of Abbot tests through eMed for $150 ($25 each).  Each box has a QR code, that matches the test card packed inside.  I submitted the invoice to my insurance as was reimbursed in full. (Aetna/CVS commercial plan)

If travelling in Europe, download the eurofins app ~ that's where test results are posted.

When you're ready to test, visit the eMed website to connect to a proctor.  We tested in our AirBnB in Naples, Italy - anyplace with a stable connection is fine.

The proctor will ask to see/scan your ID, and the QR codes on the box and kit.   Set your phone where you can be in full view while you count the drops of test solution and swab your nose.  Then the proctor starts a timer and goes off-screen/stops the camera.  When the 15 minute timer goes off, a proctor will come back (not the same person), who will ask you to scan the QR code on the test again, so they know you didn't swap them out.

They ask you to point the camera at the test, but YOU actually read the test... they asked 3 times if there was any indication of a line.

Results were posted pretty fast, and were accepted with no issue at the Rome embarkation desk.

I just took my OnPoint test in preparation for a Friday cruise.  Easy Peasy.  I'd heard mixed things but didn't experience any issues.  Always a good idea to be in front of your computer early because sometimes Zoom can be slow to load etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I was concerned because we have a lot of the free "orange tests" with expired dates. But a little research and I learned that the expiration dates have been given an extended shelf life so it shouldn't be a problem. Here's the list:

https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/coronavirus-covid-19-and-medical-devices/home-otc-covid-19-diagnostic-tests#list

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1