Which currency is most appropriate for tipping on a cruise out of Vancouver

steve4031

We are flying into Vancouver on Friday and departing on Saturday.  We will be requesting wheel chairs at the airport in Vancouver and at the port.  We will also be using the porters who load the luggage onto the ship.  I think onboard the ship we are ok tipping with US currency.  My concern is showing consideration for the people we tip in Vancouver who help us with wheel chairs and luggage.  Ideally, I would like to get to an ATM in the airport to get Canadian currency ASAP.  My questions are about what to do if this is not possible.  

My questions are:

1.  Is it better to tip in US or Canadian Currency?  

2.  If we cannot get to an ATM would US currency be better than not at all? 

3.  How difficult is it for Canadians to use US currency?

4.  Would tipping in US currency at the airport be considered offensive?

Thank you.  

We don't use USD  in Canada (unless going on a US cruise!).

Please, get some CND before leaving home.  Do yourself a favour, make it easy :)

It would be better to tip with USD over nothing at all.

The cruiseships use USD exclusively.

Have a lovely cruise and enjoy your short time in Vancouver!  

Edited by SilvertoGold
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, steve4031 said:

My questions are:

Thank you.  

1.  Probably better in Canadian but I suspect airport workers would gratefully accept USD as they probably frequently exchange a variety of currencies.  It has been my experience that Cdn. airline employees are not allowed to accept tips in Canadian airports - all this is pre COVID.

2.  Sure use USD.

3.  Workers in travel related industry probably easily exchange USD at banks for great exchange rate.

4.  NO

• Like 3

As a Canadian, I appreciate your thoughtfulness in asking these questions.  Thank you!

1.  Either is acceptable and appreciated.

2.  Absolutely!
3.  In a major centre like Vancouver, it's pretty easy to exchange US$, any bank will do it.

4.  Not at all offensive.

RE: Airport.  When you leave Canada,  if you have a bunch of Canadian $1 and $2 coins, use up as many of those that you can.  You can't exchange them back to US $s in the US.

• Like 4

In addition to what has been said. Many years ago I had a driver in Halifax. Our first stop was to get CDN. We then had a very nice day tour. At the end I asked if he would prefer USD or CND. He asked for USD. His reason - he travels across the boarder frequently and likes to have a stash of USD rather than having to exchange.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

When we cruise, where ever it happens to be, we could end up tipping in CAD, EU, GBP,  or AUD, etc.   And more than once we have tipped a person in multiple currencies because that is what we had.

It depends on whether we have enough of a tip in that currency and frankly whether we want to get rid of excess currency.  

I really do not think the recipient cares. The ships go to many countries and the crew change money to send home in their home currency or buy things in foreign ports.

There is nothing particularly special about either CAD or USD.   Money is money. Given the choice of 20 CAD, USD, AUD, EU, GBP....I would take 20 GBP all day long even with any FX fees.

Just tip well for good service.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, firsttimer1971 said:

Good luck trying to pay with cash dollars in Western-Europe... 

Generally I'll ask the person supplying the service (tour guide, driver, etc.) what currency they would like their tip in? In non-Europe countries, its most often the local currency, except for Central America where is mostly USD, but I've had it about 50-50 between Euros and USD when in Europe. 

Edited by drowelf

Agreed - Another Canadian voting here. Given the option, I would prefer US $. Also, I agree with something another poster said. Unlike in the US when you convert your money the smallest paper denomination will be $5. I do not even know if it is possible to get $1 and $2 coins when exchanging money. In the event that you make purchases and receive those coins as change, then surely give that as a tip instead of taking them back home.

• Like 1

CDN.  That is the currency in Vancouver.  While we politely accept USD in most places, it's kind of rude to put the onus on the vendor to take the time to go change up your money just because you didn't bother to get CDN.

• Like 6

Thank You very much for your responses, especially Canadians.  I know that some US citizens have not been respectful in the past.  I wanted to make sure not to make assumptions.  

Normally I would be spending several days in Canada so stopping at an airport ATM would work. But this was 2 days in Vancouver and then on to Alaska.  And then 2 days when we return. 

4 hours ago, NavyCruiser said:

I tip with these...

The 'worthless' 100 trillion dollar bank note | CNN

So funny.  Last year when we were in Zimbabwe a vendor was trying to sell mutli billion dollar bills for $20.  My son offered him $2 to be nice and said my $2 is worth more than the bills you're selling.  It was nice to be in another country where the U.S. $ is the official currency.

Only tip with them when you are trying to send a message!!  Cherie

Edited by cccole

41 minutes ago, steve4031 said:

Thank You very much for your responses, especially Canadians.  I know that some US citizens have not been respectful in the past.  I wanted to make sure not to make assumptions.  

Normally I would be spending several days in Canada so stopping at an airport ATM would work. But this was 2 days in Vancouver and then on to Alaska.  And then 2 days when we return. 

Your thoughtfulness is very much appreciated.  With Vancouver being so close to the border, US dollars will be just as welcome as Canadian.  As others have said, cross-border shopping is common so your tip won’t go unappreciated.  Have a wonderful time!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steve4031 said:

Keep the exchange rate in mind so that you don't tip less (or more) than you intended.  Current exchange rate is 1 US dollar = $1.29 CDN.  If you would tip someone, lets say $5 US, you should tip $6-$7 CDN for an relatively equivalent even dollar tip value (actually $6.43 CDN value).  Conversely, if you tip $5 CDN at the current exchange rate, you are tipping about $3.89 US.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, steve4031 said:

There are many ATMs in Vancouver. You are not limited to the airport.

32 minutes ago, T8NCruise said:

There are many ATMs in Vancouver. You are not limited to the airport.

True, but it appears that the OP would like to tip the folks who help him and his spouse at the airport, before heading into town.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, steve4031 said:

We are flying into Vancouver on Friday and departing on Saturday.  We will be requesting wheel chairs at the airport in Vancouver and at the port.  We will also be using the porters who load the luggage onto the ship.  I think onboard the ship we are ok tipping with US currency.  My concern is showing consideration for the people we tip in Vancouver who help us with wheel chairs and luggage.  Ideally, I would like to get to an ATM in the airport to get Canadian currency ASAP.  My questions are about what to do if this is not possible.  

My questions are:

Thank you.  

Thank you for your consideration in asking!

In general, when travelling. I try to tip in the local currency, as seems to be your practice, but you are short of time departing tomorrow (Friday). If you can get some CDN currency, that's great, but as has been said earlier, USD will not be offensive at all.

If you have CDN funds left over, you can also use them for tips on the ship, as the crew will likely be back in Canadian ports soon. (I have used this approach when I've had multiple currencies in  UK/Europe/Scandinavian trips - just figured out where the crew would have shore time next ...). 

Have a great trip! 🍺🥌

Don’t worry about tipping in US currency. Just  as someone posted earlier, it’s nice to have some cash on hand for quick trips across the border( as we did today) or paying someone who has brought something back from US for us( eg. Albertson’s Jalapeño mustard) or even going to Mexico, Cuba, and other destinations that accept it. There’s always someone around who will exchange it without going to the bank.

• Like 2