Regent dropping Covid vaccination requirements

Screasy

19 hours ago, ChatKat in Ca. said:

We won't cancel but we will limit our onboard socializing just because even people who board and get covid won't isolate and report for quarantine

Sigh.  That's probably our fate too, Kathy.  Will hate it since we love socializing on cruises, but...

• Like 1

15 hours ago, carolina cruisin said:

Sad to think that some would contract covid but not report it or quarantine.  I do believe this happens however.  My DW and I became ill on a recent cruise.  We self tested and tested positive.  We reported it and spent 5 days in quarantine.  Regent treated us very well and we still had an enjoyable cruise.   I would like to think that passengers would show some respect for their fellow travelers but sadly, that is not the world we live in today.

Same thing happened to us on our recent Navigator cruise. Self tested, reported positive results, quarantined. Regent took great care of us. Enjoyed the remainder of the cruise.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Sigh.  That's probably our fate too, Kathy.  Will hate it since we love socializing on cruises, but...

We plan to socialize.....just as we have done on our 100+ nights on 4  different ships since Regent's return to cruising.

Edited by Kwaj girl
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Actually, I read that many cruise lines are dropping the vaccination requirements —- not only Regent. For what it is worth, I think this is a mistake. I know airlines never had this requirement, and even dropped the mask requirement in May. But two wrongs do not make a right. Indeed, the entire situation with airlines are one reason we haven’t booked a cruise. Now, unfortunately have another reason.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

That is correct, and seems to be what many are considering.

I don't think the cruise lines did it randomly.  I'm sure they did their market research, seems like the big ones are all dropping the requirement.  Most likely most Americans vaxed or unvaxxed have had some form of covid and have some varying state of immunity.  While some are "considering cancelling" I surmise that many more are booking those empty cabins.  Do you think it was coincidence that they dropped the requirement right before the 24-25 season opens for booking?   And frankly if these cruise lines don't fill their ships they will go the way of Crystal and nobody will have many choices anymore.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Lonedaddy said:

I don't think the cruise lines did it randomly.  I'm sure they did their market research, seems like the big ones are all dropping the requirement.  Most likely most Americans vaxed or unvaxxed have had some form of covid and have some varying state of immunity.  While some are "considering cancelling" I surmise that many more are booking those empty cabins.  Do you think it was coincidence that they dropped the requirement right before the 24-25 season opens for booking?   And frankly if these cruise lines don't fill their ships they will go the way of Crystal and nobody will have many choices anymore.

I think it would be very difficult, if not impossible, for cruise lines to continue to exclude non vaccinated persons when the CDC has in essence now said there’s no difference between them and vaccinated persons as far as infection and transmission. I for one I’m glad they’re doing it even though it doesn’t impact my situation. 

• Like 5

We took a cruise last January, still with vax and testing requirements and masks for all on board...and it was still a nice break.  Slightly different feel than usual but that's to be expected.  We had a 16 night cruise booked this coming January and unfortunately had to cancel due to work requirements.  We were looking for something later in the spring but most of what was available seemed to be noticeably more expensive than the one we dropped...and now I hear Jason spoke about big fare increases in October.

I really don't feel comfortable with this decision, and coupling that with the higher costs, well, let's just say that our 2024 cruise is still reserved and I hope things settle by then.

I'm really starting to worry that Regent will price themselves out of our comfort zone.  I sure hope it's a temporary thing, but I haven't seen any prices come *down* on anything for a long, long time.  

Edited by UUNetBill
  • Like 10

On 8/13/2022 at 8:56 PM, wcsdkqh said:

Anyone not comfortable with the current cruise and/or fly rules should just stay home.

The policy impacts upcoming cruises that are in 100% forfeit now. Regent is not going to refund or credit, and even if you got “cancel for any reason” insurance, that covers only 50-75%.

I have a cruise coming up in a couple of weeks. Given that it has been sold out for a while, I’m comfortable about going (or as comfortable as one can get in the current covid environment) because the vaccination rule was in place when people signed up. Plus, the Med is involved, and many of those countries still require vaccination.

• Like 1

I understand from reputable medical authorities that vaccination is the most effective preventative — better than masks, distancing, and all the other things. And it’s something that is really free!  We will wait and see how the cruise lines do with the relaxed policies. 

And like Bill, Regent’s pricing on cruises several months in the future is pushing our comfort zone.

I read elsewhere (Jackie, on fb), the argument that if you're booked right now, it's unlikely that many fellow cruisers will be unvaccinated, since even if people cancel, there are waitlists for most cruises. And those waitlist people would likely be vaccinated (unless they decided to gamble that the mandate would be dropped.) Sounds pretty short-sighted, if at all true.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I agree Regent may become too expensive for many of us. I looked at new cruises for 2024 till May 2025 and many of the Deluxe Verandas start at $20,000 plus. I realize many people have no issue with this, but to us spending between $40,000 and $50,000 is a bit much. Lots of things to do with that money and I'm not talking about cruises over 20 days. As to unvaccinated passengers that does not bother us. I intent to socialize and do what we have always done in past cruises in the two upcoming cruises we have booked. I won't let Covid keep me from enjoying life. That said, that's a personal choice and anyone who does not feel comfortable cruising with unvaccinated passengers shouldn't cruise.

• Like 9

We are concerned about cruising with unvaccinated fellow guests. With the crowds and lines on the mass market cruises, this is just another reason to say heck no to them. Even in the generally uncrowded situation on Regent, our concern (with four vacs each so far) is catching a mild case and spending days in quarantine — days for which we have paid dearly. 

Before the “no vacs required” announcement, we were considering a mid to late 2023 cruise, and the prices were slightly off-putting for us. Now, we want to see how the new rules work before putting down a dime. And when we look at 2024 and 2025, the fares actually are scary to us. We can pull the cash out quickly, but we don’t want to spend that kind of money on any long distance vacation. We live in the Rocky Mountains, so I’m sure we can find something fun to do with maybe 10% of the cost.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/16/2022 at 4:55 PM, forevertravel said:

I agree Regent may become too expensive for many of us. I looked at new cruises for 2024 till May 2025 and many of the Deluxe Verandas start at $20,000 plus. I realize many people have no issue with this, but to us spending between $40,000 and $50,000 is a bit much. Lots of things to do with that money and I'm not talking about cruises over 20 days. As to unvaccinated passengers that does not bother us. I intent to socialize and do what we have always done in past cruises in the two upcoming cruises we have booked. I won't let Covid keep me from enjoying life. That said, that's a personal choice and anyone who does not feel comfortable cruising with unvaccinated passengers shouldn't cruise.

@forevertravel - we, like many others, always look at the price per person, per night.  As we usually take shorter cruises (12-15 nights, usually) the per diem is a bit higher.  We just usually have a mental "$1,000 pp/night" figure in our heads for most itineraries.  But a lot of these seem to already be creeping up to the $1,200+ range, and that's before Jason's announced 'substantial price increases on Oct 1' hit.

We had to postpone our scheduled Jan '23 cruise due to work commitments, but honestly, I'm less disappointed than I thought I'd be.  Maybe it's the price hikes, maybe it's the damn uncertainty about EVERYTHING these days, maybe it's the fact that travel just sucks more than it did 3 years ago, I don't know...but for the first time in as long as I can remember, we only have one cruise on the books, almost 17 months out - and I'm okay with that.

I think when the Covid protocols settle down and things have gotten to a relatively normal state, we'll be good...but until then, I'm thinking I'm good with a few weeks at a resort or on an island somewhere.  My customary 'itching to take a cruise' thing is much more mild than it used to be...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 8/10/2022 at 1:35 PM, Lonedaddy said:

As was said to those who didn't want to get vax "your choice don't go"    Now the shoe is on the other foot....

Frankly covid is so dumbed down and weakend it isnt a big threat. Even with or without a vax you can carry it and have no symptoms.  To those at risk get vaxed, mask up.  I'll be more worried about the flu or norovirus ruining my vacation than a cold or covid.    And I got the vax so I could travel even though I had covid before the vax and surprise twice after.  All were mild and I probably had it more just didn't know.

I said much the same thing to the doctor on Splendor last month while I was whining about having to quarantine with COVID onboard.  He told me that although people like you and me have mild cases and fast recoveries, he has seen other passengers get quite sick.  Some have had to go to the hospital.

Most days during my quarantine a tech came by to check my vitals in the morning.  On the day they were to do my first of two tests to free me the tech did not come in the morning or afternoon.  When I called at 6:00pm for a status check the Doctor told me they had been very busy all day, even sending two patients to the local hospital.  So, COVID may be dumbed down and weakened but some people still get very sick, or even die.

My advice is simple. If you are worried about getting Covid, stay home...because once you leave your controlled environment, it becomes a distinct possibility. Relying on others to keep you from getting sick is a Fool's Errand.

• Like 13

37 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

My advice is simple. If you are worried about getting Covid, stay home...because once you leave your controlled environment, it becomes a distinct possibility. Relying on others to keep you from getting sick is a Fool's Errand.

Yes, that's true.  But when you book and have made final payment your choice to cancel is very expensive when they change the rules.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ChatKat in Ca. said:

Yes, that's true.  But when you book and have made final payment your choice to cancel is very expensive when they change the rules.

I suspect that if you pushed back hard enough, you would find them to be accommodating.

To clarify something, after four vacs I got Covid last January. It was a breakthrough case as is expected after all those vacs.,it was like a moderate cold and soon gone. But I wasn’t locked up for five days (at least) as I was not on a cruise for which I had paid about $1000 per night. I am less afraid of getting the type of Covid that vaccinated people get, and more afraid of getting locked up in quarantine on an expensive vacation.

As far as Regent’s pricing goes, I recently posted that reduction of recent past fares wouldn’t make economic sense. Still true. But increasing fares makes even less sense. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

To clarify something, after four vacs I got Covid last January. It was a breakthrough case as is expected after all those vacs.,it was like a moderate cold and soon gone. But I wasn’t locked up for five days (at least) as I was not on a cruise for which I had paid about $1000 per night. I am less afraid of getting the type of Covid that vaccinated people get, and more afraid of getting locked up in quarantine on an expensive vacation.

As far as Regent’s pricing goes, I recently posted that reduction of recent past fares wouldn’t make economic sense. Still true. But increasing fares makes even less sense. 

I agree that the main concern is getting Covid during a trip and dealing with the potential consequences, especially being quarantined or having to seek local medical care if Covid symptoms become too severe.

It seems like there have been quite a few Covid cases just among the CC posters.  It would be interesting to know what percentage of passengers have been quarantined or have required medical care off the ship. Does anyone have any knowledge about incidence of Covid on Regent or on ships in general these days.  I realize that without mandatory testing and reporting requirements there is no way of getting statistically reliable information, but Regent and other lines would have info about quarantined cases onboard.

• Like 1