The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday August 17th, 2022

richwmn

Today is National Thriftshop Day, Neighbor Night, and National Black Cat Appreciation Day

Lock up your libraries if you like; but there is no gate, no lock, no bolt that you can set upon the freedom of my mind.--Virginia Woolf, A Room of One's Own

Meal Suggestion for today - Stuffed Pasta Shells
Drink of the Day - Strawberry Mai Tai
Wine of the Day - Famiglia Anselma 2016 del Comune di Serralunga d'A
Destination of the Day - Punta Arenas, Chile

Eurodam

Sitka, Baranof Island, Alaska 08:00 - 16:00

Koningsdam

Glacier Bay 7:00 AM To 4:00 PM

Nieuw Amsterdam

Juneau, Alaska 10:00 - 22:00

Nieuw Statendam

Grundarfjordur, Iceland 08:00 - 17:00

Noordam

Skagway, Alaska 07:00 - 21:00

Oosterdam

Souda-Chania, Crete Greece 08:00 - 17:00

Rotterdam

Molde, Norway 10:00 - 23:00

Westerdam

Hubbard Glacier, Alaska 14:00 - 18:00

Zaandam

Prince Edward Island, Charlottetown, Canada 08:00 - 18:00

Zuiderdam

Vancouver, BC Canada 07:00 - 16:00

Volendam

Rotterdam Waalhaven Ukraine Relief

0817World.thumb.png.30d4cf9ae30bc83fc3cb3e8bd6ffcbfd.png

0817Alaska.thumb.png.7b4ee4fe4cec2a92116f42a7e05de68f.png

• Like 31
  • Thanks 11

Good morning from beautiful Southwest Florida.

Nice selection of days.

Good quote also.

Stuffed shells are very good.

Never been to Chile but we've  been to South America.

Heading to the golf course in a few minutes.

Thanks for The Daily, stay well and have a great day.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Good morning and thank you for the Fleet and Daily Report.

Good days.  I donate to and shop in thriftshops.  I don't have a cat but my brother has 3.  I appreciate my neighbours.

Love the quote.

The meal sounds good,  so does the drink.  Hope the wine is good and not too expensive.

Bertie and I saw a skunk on our walk this morning, thankfully, it was heading away from us and didn't bother us.  

Prayers for everyone.

Have a good day.   Stay safe.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

It's Late morning here and sunny after it rained all day yesterday.

Thank you for today's daily and fleet reports Rich.

I had several black cats at my late mam and dad's house before I got married.

Monty here with my brother carrying him and me was my last cat.

My late mam and dad had a black and white cat for several years before they died.

One of the neighbours asked me after my parents died if they could have Lewis and I agreed because he knew the area.

Our Football club Sunderland is also nicknamed The Black Cats.

Interesting quote.

Today's food sounds good.

Prayers for everyone who is unwell.

I hope everyone has a nice day.

Graham.

Screenshot_20220808_135527.jpg

• Like 29

Thank you for the Hump Day report, Rich.  Great collection of days with a special salute to Thrift Shops.  Love the Virginia Woolf quote.  I've been to Punta Arenas twice, Zaandam in 2017 and Prinsendam in 2019.  My reaction to the menu will  depend on the stuffing.  My alternative is VPasta Primavera, Chilled Mixed Berry Soup, and Vietnamese Apple Tart as served on MS Veendam August 17, 2013.

Today’s care list:

Cruisin Terri’s neighbor on hospice for uterine cancer
RIP cruisin single neighbor
Devastating news on Shadow
HorizonChaser1957 DD endangered in Taiwan
Fires near Seasick Sailor
Tana with persistent problems although somewhat better
Fluff breast tumor surgery Thursday
ger_77,  DH, and DS with covid
RIP Koningsdam entertainer Anthony Lorenzo Hopkins 8/9/22
The locks at Ijmuiden(Rotterdam diverted to at least 9/11)
From the rotation:
Heartgrove brother discharged but in hospice care
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney
Atrex6 Father severely declining
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1), msmayor (5/20) and JAM37 (7/7)

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Volendam caring for refugees
Heartgrove meeting his grand daughter
Bon Voyage  Av8rix (Zuiderdam 8/17 to 8/31)
New fur baby for Crazy for cats sister
ottahand7 successful self care
Tana starting to feel herself
Copper10_8 (Zaandam to 8/20) , Mtn2sea and kplady (Nieuw Statendam  to 8/27), Aliaschief (Rotterdam to 8/28), and Gail&Marty (Rotterdam to 10/15) at sea
Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 24
  • Thanks 15

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily fleet report.  Today’s meal suggestion is a winner!  I look forward to pictures and recipes from @dfish.  We got a little rain overnight but not nearly enough.  Hopefully we get some more today.

I’ll celebrate national black cat day with Mona.

image.thumb.png.097682072a3465e20f71462186e78aaf.png

• Like 35

Good morning to all. I have incredible neighbors  and try to reciprocate . I made lasagna for two different families as a thank you for the meals they sent over when the whole house had Covid.

Black cats are both inside and outside here. They are elegant and sleek.

The quote is a good one and appropriate for the times we live in.

The recipe is a good one for today as I have leftover “gravy” and just need to get cheese to stuff the shells.

• Like 33

48 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Hump Day report, Rich.  Great collection of days with a special salute to Thrift Shops.  Love the Virginia Woolf quote.  I've been to Punta Arenas twice, Zaandam in 2017 and Prinsendam in 2019.  My reaction to the menu will  depend on the stuffing.  My alternative is VPasta Primavera, Chilled Mixed Berry Soup, and Vietnamese Apple Tart as served on MS Veendam August 17, 2013.

Today’s care list:

Cruisin Terri’s neighbor on hospice for uterine cancer
RIP cruisin single neighbor
Devastating news on Shadow
HorizonChaser1957 DD endangered in Taiwan
Fires near Seasick Sailor
Tana with persistent problems although somewhat better
Fluff breast tumor surgery Thursday
ger_77,  DH, and DS with covid
RIP Koningsdam entertainer Anthony Lorenzo Hopkins 8/9/22
The locks at Ijmuiden(Rotterdam diverted to at least 9/11)
From the rotation:
Heartgrove brother discharged but in hospice care
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney
Atrex6 Father severely declining
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1), msmayor (5/20) and JAM37 (7/7)

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Volendam caring for refugees
Heartgrove meeting his grand daughter
Bon Voyage  Av8rix (Zuiderdam 8/17 to 8/31)
New fur baby for Crazy for cats sister
ottahand7 successful self care
Tana starting to feel herself
Copper10_8 (Zaandam to 8/20) , Mtn2sea and kplady (Nieuw Statendam  to 8/27), Aliaschief (Rotterdam to 8/28), and Gail&Marty (Rotterdam to 10/15) at sea
Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thank you for today's lists Roy.

We took a picnic to the beach and got ice cream as well.

Graham.

IMG_20220817_122650.jpg

• Like 26

Thanks for our Hump Day Daily, Rich.

I’ve certainly been celebrating thrift shops by donating to them a lot.  No neighbour night for me tonight but a neighbour lunch is on the agenda tomorrow.

FFC956F0-D019-43D1-837F-C70DE320DAF8.jpeg.a19de3e595744c87de06f74a6a2a4d45.jpeg

Well, it’s been a bit depressing since I’ve been on.  After discovering Shadow’s physical issues and neurological damage, I knew I couldn’t help her. She needed to be assessed by a vet (which I was paying for) however the rescue said under no circumstances could she be euthanized.  They had already refused to do it when it was recommended by 2 other vets.

29AA5109-4ABA-4C62-80DE-05D6898817A8.jpeg.b8514b12dbd23bd39faaddaabd22076a.jpeg

On Monday, she took me down trying to get her in the house and I went flat on my back.  Got her in and realized my hand and wrist was very sore and getting sorer.  Thankfully the X-rays revealed nothing was broken (my previously broken wrist) and it is badly strained, sprained and torn.  No lifting, no heavy weights.  I had told the rescue that if they weren’t going to listen to vets, no point in me taking her or keeping her and to find her a new home. Now, she had to go to a new home as I wouldn’t be able to lift her.

1690B1A9-25A6-4499-A0D2-6D4D2E8C34B3.jpeg.ce8f3ddae43862d98c1cef61887bec38.jpeg

She was picked up yesterday morning and went with her new harness, leash, toys, food, treats, beds, etc.  She is now on the run in Oromocto - having been lost by her new foster within what appears to be an hour of her arrival.  My trainer is going down there today in hopes of sightings and wait and get her to come.  She will come to her.  I feel awful - sick and mad at the same time.  She was here for 3 weeks & wasn’t lost.  Stupidity 😡 

I offered to cancel my grief meeting today and go with her and Liz said no - she wants me to go and besides, Shadow loves her and she will come to her if she can find her.

6A37F0C4-4EB8-490B-B32E-4D9FFD0A187A.webp.e1428c4a1a54841a532c7d92150b7655.webp

She and I loved that munchkin.  “She’s a sweet soul but when you look in her eyes you can see her brain whirling trying to figure out how she will take her next step and where to place her foot” (my trainer’s words).

It was sad enough giving her up and not able to help her enough.  She left here a much happier dog than when she arrived.  Now, it’s all for naught.

Prayers for everyone on the Care list and for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a good Wednesday everyone !!!!!!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 44

Thank you for today’s Report & Daily, Rich! Another glorious start to the day!  Looking forward to getting my haircut today. It needs it badly. 

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy.  Morning Dailyites. @Seasick Sailor Joy, praying that you won’t have to deal with any fires. Even we seem to be having a drier than normal Summer, but nothing like what you are dealing with. @smitty34877, Terry loved reading that the Executive chef & you are doing better. @ger_77, Gerry hope you & DH are doing ok. @kazu keeping you & Shadow in my prayers. May Liz find her quickly. 

Heading to the gym after my haircut. Then pool time & gardening in some order. 

Perhaps not the sign we want to see in the buffet line…

0E4EA66A-E998-477F-BB22-7C1D17CC4D46.jpeg.191f3c395573c823d6df27a8e73bcb6f.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Famiglia Anselma 2016 del Comune di Serralunga d'Alba

Barolo lovers take note of this one. Superb reviews and though at the top end of my budget - still under $50. One for a special occasion perhaps. Very elusive, but I found one online distributor offering it for $45. You might find a better price locally. 

97 Wine Enthusiast 

This classic Barolo opens with aromas of truffle, new leather, camphor and blue flowers. The youthfully assertive palate has knife-like precision, delivering raspberry compote, blood orange, star anise and crushed mint alongside noble tannins and bright acidity. Austere at this stage, it has incredible energy and boasts serious aging potential. Drink 2028–2046.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 9
  • Haha 3

16 minutes ago, kazu said:

Thanks for our Hump Day Daily, Rich.

I’ve certainly been celebrating thrift shops by donating to them a lot.  No neighbour night for me tonight but a neighbour lunch is on the agenda tomorrow.

FFC956F0-D019-43D1-837F-C70DE320DAF8.jpeg.a19de3e595744c87de06f74a6a2a4d45.jpeg

Well, it’s been a bit depressing since I’ve been on.  After discovering Shadow’s physical issues and neurological damage, I knew I couldn’t help her. She needed to be assessed by a vet (which I was paying for) however the rescue said under no circumstances could she be euthanized.  They had already refused to do it when it was recommended by 2 other vets.

29AA5109-4ABA-4C62-80DE-05D6898817A8.jpeg.b8514b12dbd23bd39faaddaabd22076a.jpeg

On Monday, she took me down trying to get her in the house and I went flat on my back.  Got her in and realized my hand and wrist was very sore and getting sorer.  Thankfully the X-rays revealed nothing was broken (my previously broken wrist) and it is badly strained, sprained and torn.  No lifting, no heavy weights.  I had told the rescue that if they weren’t going to listen to vets, no point in me taking her or keeping her and to find her a new home. Now, she had to go to a new home as I wouldn’t be able to lift her.

1690B1A9-25A6-4499-A0D2-6D4D2E8C34B3.jpeg.ce8f3ddae43862d98c1cef61887bec38.jpeg

She was picked up yesterday morning and went with her new harness, leash, toys, food, treats, beds, etc.  She is now on the run in Oromocto - having been lost by her new foster within what appears to be an hour of her arrival.  My trainer is going down there today in hopes of sightings and wait and get her to come.  She will come to her.  I feel awful - sick and mad at the same time.  She was here for 3 weeks & wasn’t lost.  Stupidity 😡 

I offered to cancel my grief meeting today and go with her and Liz said no - she wants me to go and besides, Shadow loves her and she will come to her if she can find her.

6A37F0C4-4EB8-490B-B32E-4D9FFD0A187A.webp.e1428c4a1a54841a532c7d92150b7655.webp

She and I loved that munchkin.  “She’s a sweet soul but when you look in her eyes you can see her brain whirling trying to figure out how she will take her next step and where to place her foot” (my trainer’s words).

It was sad enough giving her up and not able to help her enough.  She left here a much happier dog than when she arrived.  Now, it’s all for naught.

Prayers for everyone on the Care list and for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a good Wednesday everyone !!!!!!

Take care.

G&P x

• Like 18

Good morning, everyone.  

It is supposed to be a nice day here in northeast Ohio.  The only thing on the agenda today is doing my laps around the neighborhood and the pool.  Then, home to indulge in TV, deck sitting, and whatever I want to do.  

@kazu Jacqui, what devastating news about Shadow.  I hope she is found quickly.  You gave her the only  love she's probably known and made a difference for her.

Today's meal is a great one.   The pasta shells are the vehicle for an explosion of flavors.  Traditional stuffed shells give you that creamy filling topped with marinara sauce.  Mmmmm.   https://www.dinneratthezoo.com/stuffed-shells-recipe/

1312888974_stuffedpastashells1.thumb.jpg.3c661a40373c631cc6a42b570b844e68.jpg

The filling on this one includes some spinach.  I suppose kale could also be substituted.  Not everyone likes kale, but I loved it when I did it in the oven.   https://www.loveandlemons.com/stuffed-shells-recipe/

2041389067_stuffedpastashells2.thumb.jpg.41df097a3df196172c952ec66c80b44e.jpg

This next one has a ricotta and ground beef filling for the carnivores among us.  https://www.theseasonedmom.com/favorite-stuffed-shells/

1045517791_stuffedpastashells4.thumb.jpg.0183082b8a8cb39c7be9cf5eec42f056.jpg

This Mexican Stuffed Shells recipe is everything you love about stuffed shells but with a Mexican twist! This recipe is loaded with ground beef, salsa, enchilada sauce and lots of cheese! Perfect for meal-prepping, batch-cooking, or just a delicious, hearty meal the whole family will love!  https://chefsavvy.com/mexican-stuffed-shells/

171658108_stuffedpastashells5.jpg.b99fcf2856cc3ed8a95f98b442dabb96.jpg

Tuscan Stuffed Shells are large pasta shells filled with a rich and cheesy mixture baked in a cream sauce and topped with mozzarella cheese. Try Three Cheese Stuffed Shells for another satisfying and cheesy pasta dish.  https://iamhomesteader.com/tuscan-stuffed-shells/

200185905_stuffedpastashells6.thumb.jpg.51fcc0029ad84e4f812ccb58b3e82507.jpg

Looking for something new and exciting to make for dinner? Try this new take on stuffed pasta shells. It’s got all the flavors of jambalaya and gumbo, mixed with ricotta cheese, stuffed into jumbo pasta shells and smothered in a delicious creole cream sauce. It’s the perfect dish to mix up your normal every day dinners!  https://goboldwithbutter.com/recipes/cajun-stuffed-pasta-shells-with-creole-sauce

184297798_stuffedpastashells8.jpg.d5c06cfbe0051f41078304e6e46c50ca.jpg

There are tons of variations on stuffed shells.  You can really make this your own.  What kinds of variations do you do?

Wishing everyone a wonderful day!

Edited by dfish
  • Like 32
  • Thanks 11

Strawberry Mai Tai:

Ingredients
1 1/2 parts Cruzan® Strawberry Rum
1/2 part DeKuyper® Orange Curacao Liqueur
1 1/2 parts fresh Lime Juice
3/4 parts Simple Syrup
1/2 Finest Call Orgeat Syrup
Garnish with Pineapple Cube
Garnish with Cherries
Garnish Mint Sprig

Instructions
Add ingredients and stir gently into a mixing glass of crushed ice. Garnish with a pineapple cube and cherry speared and a mint sprig.

Screen Shot 2022-08-17 at 8.30.00 AM.png

• Like 20
  • Thanks 10

Happy Wednesday!  My finger is doing great and healing well.   A beautiful day ahead ending with rain in the evening.  Looking forward to today's port photos, we are due to go there in late January 2023.  Today's stuffed shells recipes all look wonderful especially #3.  I just heard due to drought in CA there is a tomato shortage, stock up on your sauce soon before the prices go up.  It would go great with the Barolo.  Looking forward to the cocktail too.  Thank you for the daily reports.  Prayers for those on our Care list.   @kazuI am so sorry about Shadow. I hope you can help find her and that the rescue comes to its' senses and listens to the vets. 

We had a beautiful sunrise this morning. 

IMG_20220817_054043749_BURST000_COVER.jpg

• Like 29
  • Thanks 3