Warning: Do Not leave credit on stateroom account!

NV-Joe

My wife and I were on the island princess for a transatlantic which ended in South Hampton on June 13, 2022.   We had a $740.00+ credit on our shipboard account.   Not ever having had that in 20+ cruises, I figured that the money would be credited back to our credit card on file NOPE!

After a couple weeks had passed I called Princess and endured about a 3 hour wait... to be told that "I must transfer you to the business office"  I was on hold 90 minutes for that.   The young lady then td me "to be patient, return of credits must be paid in check form and take 6 to 8 weeks.

I called back after 8 weeks... and after another 2 hour hold time ( the first representative gave me her "direct" number) and this representative told me.. "actually they are taking up to 10 weeks now".    Earlier this week I called back (10 week mark) and was on hold for 2 hours, someone picked up and then hung up on me.   I am beyond frustrated with Princess.  Heck of a way to do business, especially  for an "Elite" status passenger. I'm looking for a new cruise line... is there any line out there that doesn't keep you on hold for a minimum of 90 mins?

Lesson learned, I'll NEVER make that mistake again.

Joe and Tammi in Las Vegas

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, NV-Joe said:

My wife and I were on the island princess for a transatlantic which ended in South Hampton on June 13, 2022.   We had a $740.00+ credit on our shipboard account.   Not ever having had that in 20+ cruises, I figured that the money would be credited back to our credit card on file NOPE!

After a couple weeks had passed I called Princess and endured about a 3 hour wait... to be told that "I must transfer you to the business office"  I was on hold 90 minutes for that.   The young lady then td me "to be patient, return of credits must be paid in check form and take 6 to 8 weeks.

I called back after 8 weeks... and after another 2 hour hold time ( the first representative gave me her "direct" number) and this representative told me.. "actually they are taking up to 10 weeks now".    Earlier this week I called back (10 week mark) and was on hold for 2 hours, someone picked up and then hung up on me.   I am beyond frustrated with Princess.  Heck of a way to do business, especially  for an "Elite" status passenger. I'm looking for a new cruise line... is there any line out there that doesn't keep you on hold for a minimum of 90 mins?

Why should an elite status passenger be treated any better than a passenger who does not have status -  especially if you have both cabin level.  Better perks - yes.  Better treatment - no way!

DON

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3

Welcome to CC....candidly, it is common for new folks to come here, complain and then leave.  

Long time CC folks can tell you about the wait for your refund/credit, etc.  What you have encountered from Princess will be repeated regardless of which cruise line that you choose.

I am not sure that you would have had any choice reclaiming your funds while you were onboard other than to send your wife or SO on a shopping spree.  LOL

So I suggest that you slow down....wait a little...stop finding ways to be frustrated, your money will arrive.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

No matter what the facts or final outcome, to frustrate customers and keep them on hold for hours is no way to handle a business. From reading these boards Princess is turning passengers away day after day. Princess is lost.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

Why should an elite status passenger be treated any better than a passenger who does not have status -  especially if you have both cabin level.  Better perks - yes.  Better treatment - no way!

DON

Agreed!!  My wife and I laugh every time we hear Elite passengers expecting better treatment.  We say that the biggest reason we've cruised enough to become Elite is because of the exceptional treatment we've received since day 1 (Blue).

• Like 12

To the original poster’s point regarding the refund of OBC.  I agree wholeheartedly.  That is no way to be treated after spending so much money over time with one company.  Have you tried “live chat” on the Princess website?  In recent months I have found that to be a MUCH better way to reconcile problems.  Have your original booking number ready.  

Check all junk mail, the check may come in a nondescript envelope.  (I shake my head at the fact that Princess still sends out checks rather than crediting the card on file at the end of the cruise.)  Good luck! 

• Like 6

Somehow Royal/Celebrity seem to be able to refund unused “refundable” onboard credit to clients CC on file within a reasonable time post cruise (usually less than 30 days). Princess outsources theirs to a third party company called paymode direct and it can take MONTHS (if ever) to get a paper check refund by snail mail.  I don’t read these complaints for other CCL brands so not sure why Princess seems such an outlier. 

• Like 2

I could be wrong (Wouldn't be the first time, won't be the last) the only refundable

OBC I know of is military benefits. That would be 3 b2b 14 day cruises to have $750 OBC....but I'm sure if I'm wrong someone will be happy to tell me 🤣

Edited by Moondogy
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, cruisingrob21 said:

Not sure why CC admins allow first time posters the ability to start threads.  

Agree.  You should have to be CC Royal Exalted Elite before you have the right to start an enlightening thread. 😀

Edited by Princessfan20
  • Haha 10

To OP- sorry to hear this. 
Same type of situation for me when Air Canada Vacations cancelled my trip 2 weeks after I paid and did not refund my money for 3 months.

Except they did not answer the phone or emails.

For Princess I call as soon as they start in he morning on week days and get through without a wait.

agree it is no way to operate a business

good luck

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, dog said:

To OP- sorry to hear this. 
Same type of situation for me when Air Canada Vacations cancelled my trip 2 weeks after I paid and did not refund my money for 3 months.

Except they did not answer the phone or emails.

For Princess I call as soon as they start in he morning on week days and get through without a wait.

agree it is no way to operate a business

good luck

AC and PCL could have a contest to see who is worst.

59 minutes ago, Moondogy said:

I could be wrong (Wouldn't be the first time, won't be the last) the only refundable

OBC I know of is military benefits. That would be 3 b2b 14 day cruises to have $750 OBC....but I'm sure if I'm wrong someone will be happy to tell me 🤣

Using gift cards to add OBC is one way. We received our $184.00 back in about 3 weeks from a June cruise.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NV-Joe said:

Ugggg!  We got our refundable credit back at just before the 8 weeks mark for a June cruise.  Ours wasn't as much as yours so we had no problem waiting but it does seem like there should be an easier system.  It's not like they don't have your credit card information on file.   

As others have mentioned, do be very careful not to throw the envelope away.  It does really, really, REALLY look like junk mail.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tiggerontheseas said:

As others have mentioned, do be very careful not to throw the envelope away.  It does really, really, REALLY look like junk mail.  

It took a while for us to get our cheque but it definitely didn’t look like junk mail.  Princess was on the return address.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Senga said:

It took a while for us to get our cheque but it definitely didn’t look like junk mail.  Princess was on the return address.

Oh, that's great.  Ours definitely looked like junk mail and the return window address area was for a totally different company.   I wonder why the difference?  I'm in Canada, so perhaps that changes things.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Senga said:

Sounds better than before.  Never had one of those cheques/checks as I never leave cash on account.

Edited by Steelers36

5 minutes ago, antsp said:

I had $950 of obc on the sky in March, every $ was taken of the ship in cash via the magic method. Why would anyone leave Princess to refund you 

In our case, it was mostly just laziness.  We seldom frequent the area where the magic method can be used and just didn't get around to it before disembarkment.  LOL!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1