Cheers package and both adults in room not able to drink booze

bubba83

Does carnival make any exceptions for adult who do not drink alcohol or who can not drink die to medical issues or medications they may be on?

I may get the cheers package but hubby is now on meds where he can't drink every day. Could I call and ask for an exception? 

I don't know from personal experience, but this topic comes up on these boards once in a while..and the answer per those discussions is NO exceptions. Not for illness, medical or even pregnancy. Unless the policy has changed. Call and see.

3 minutes ago, staceyglow said:

You can certainly ask, but you will probably be denied. From other posts on CC, they don't even make exceptions for pregnant women. 

Oh my goodness...that is insane. Royal Caribbean did in the past that I was aware of. The other person who wouldn't be getting package with alcohol just had to get one of the other packages offered like the soda package. 

1 hour ago, staceyglow said:

You can certainly ask, but you will probably be denied. From other posts on CC, they don't even make exceptions for pregnant women. 

1 hour ago, bubba83 said:

Oh my goodness...that is insane. Royal Caribbean did in the past that I was aware of. The other person who wouldn't be getting package with alcohol just had to get one of the other packages offered like the soda package. 

Why would they?  That implies that Carnival is responsible  for health choices of pregnant women

3 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

Why would they?  That implies that Carnival is responsible  for health choices of pregnant women

A pregnant woman should be exempt from it...not required to get it just because the other 21 and older guests in the room are getting it.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bubba83 said:

A pregnant woman should be exempt from it...not required to get it just because the other 21 and older guests in the room are getting it.

There is no need for an exemption as they aren't required to get it. Taking the package is a choice. If one or more persons in the room can't have it or don't want it, then simply choose not to buy it.

• Like 10

Just now, bubba83 said:

There is value in the other non alcoholic beverages included so that sounds like a way to around CHEERS.  John H has frequently noted a drink package that included everything in CHEERS minus the alcohol would have a price point closer to CHEERS so they don't think it would sell.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, bubba83 said:

Would that require passengers submit a proof of pregnancy? We know that would never happen. Otherwise, what's to stop people from just claiming pregnancy? It's easier to just say no exceptions. Besides, all of the Cheers fans boast of infinite value because of water bottles and coffee anyways.

14 hours ago, bubba83 said:

Does carnival make any exceptions for adult who do not drink alcohol or who can not drink die to medical issues or medications they may be on?

I may get the cheers package but hubby is now on meds where he can't drink every day. Could I call and ask for an exception? 

Get a soad package. Want a mixed drink? Get the soda then Purchase a shot or two for it.

10 hours ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

I keep reading the title of this thread and wonder what the problem is if both adults can't drink booze. I'm sure I'm just stuck on stupid!

I thought the same thing!  If both can’t drink alcohol, why even buy Cheers!  Must be a typo!

• Like 1

The only exception is there are no exceptions. Carnival says even non-drinkers can get value from Cheers due to the inclusion of bottled water, soda, specialty coffees, etc, and so all adults in a stateroom must buy it if anyone wants it.

I have heard from some people that their Uncle Ernie knows somebody who got an exception on the Carnival Vision last year but I have never actually read first-hand evidence. It's always hearsay.

Edited by mz-s
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, mz-s said:

The only exception is there are no exceptions. Carnival says even non-drinkers can get value from Cheers due to the inclusion of bottled water, soda, specialty coffees, etc, and so all adults in a stateroom must buy it if anyone wants it.

I have heard from some people that their Uncle Ernie knows somebody who got an exception on the Carnival Vision last year but I have never actually read first-hand evidence. It's always hearsay.

The problem with that is that IF there was someone claiming to have first-hand evidence, it would not matter. You aren't going to convince someone on the ship with a "Well, so-and-so on Cruise Critic did it, so I get to do it too". They are going to do the job they are tasked with, not take direction from claims (hearsay or first-hand) made on an Internet forum.

• Like 1

Just now, SeaShark said:

The problem with that is that IF there was someone claiming to have first-hand evidence, it would not matter. You aren't going to convince someone on the ship with a "Well, so-and-so on Cruise Critic did it, so I get to do it too". They are going to do the job they are tasked with, not take direction from claims (hearsay or first-hand) made on an Internet forum.

True, it doesn't really matter unless Carnival begins allowing exceptions en masse and makes it known to their crew and guests. I'm sure they'd sell more Cheers packages if they allowed individual purchase, but they'd probably hand out more drinks too so it's not worth it for them. I'm sure they've done the analysis.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pyrate13 said:

Nothing "insane" about it. As others have said, too many would cheat, and any woman could claim to be pregnant. Not every pregnant woman is at the showing stage so what do you ask for proof, a pregnancy test?

I hear there's a brilliant new protocol for guests claiming to be pregnant in order to be exempt from the "all adults in the cabin must buy" Cheers! rule: 

Guests can provide a picture of their positive home test or present the actual positive test itself at embarkation. Guests should write their name and test date on a piece of paper, place the positive test on the paper, and take a photograph of this on a mobile device.  Guests will be required to present their positive test results via VeriFLY, or as part of the embarkation process.

😉

• Haha 9

3 hours ago, Pyrate13 said:

Nothing "insane" about it. As others have said, too many would cheat, and any woman could claim to be pregnant. Not every pregnant woman is at the showing stage so what do you ask for proof, a pregnancy test?

According to recent testimony before congress, men too can now get pregnant so that is a whole lot more people eligible to claim they are pregnant 😉 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Pyrate13 said:

It could also be that a significant portion of the profit from this model is having two people buying it. Besides the obvious sharing, the loss of revenue too. For every "I can easily spend $70 a day on drinks" post we see, we know there's likely to be another half who barely touches it. 

I'd bet the cost of Cheers for 1 week that there were multiple studies completed to find which was the most profitable model. It is unlikely that people's special exceptions were the strongest model.

• Thanks 1