Edge Luminae - Order Off of Main Dining Room Menu

shirazcruiser

On 8/27/2022 at 9:55 AM, cangelmd said:

Is this your first Edge cruise?

The 4 MDRs are one of the highlights of Edge for me, I highly recommend taking 4 nights off Luminae and visiting each. Each has a small specialty menu, and I think you can order off the specialty menu in each, as well as the nightly menu that crosses all 4

This makes sense BUT sitting in Luminae & ordering from the MDR's doesn't to me. 

2 minutes ago, adolfo2 said:

This makes sense BUT sitting in Luminae & ordering from the MDR's doesn't to me. 

Depends upon the ship class.  On M class, Luminae is a much nicer space, and occasionally there's a real gem on the MDR menu.  Since they are happy to offer those items to Luminae guests, why not???

• Like 1

1 minute ago, canderson said:

Depends upon the ship class.  On M class, Luminae is a much nicer space, and occasionally there's a real gem on the MDR menu.  Since they are happy to offer those items to Luminae guests, why not???

We prefer the MDR lobster to the sauced Lobster in Luminae. We always ask for that. 

• Like 3

Can't remember if it was the MDR menu but I definitely got things in Luminae that weren't listed on their own. My favorite was an excellent Filet Mignon. Just ask the waiter!

Also, if Luminae isn't your style there is plenty on EDGE where you can go dine instead including the four main dining rooms.

2 hours ago, adolfo2 said:

It's a very nice space, and you have a staff that are familiar with you and what you like. You also tend to have a better wine selection.

You can mix and match, as well, as can anyone you may be dining with. I might want a starter from MDR, entrée from Luminae, and dessert from Blu. My wife may want a different combination. 

It's all about everyone being able to better tailor their dining to their individual tastes. That's luxury. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DCPIV said:

It's a very nice space, and you have a staff that are familiar with you and what you like. You also tend to have a better wine selection.

You can mix and match, as well, as can anyone you may be dining with. I might want a starter from MDR, entrée from Luminae, and dessert from Blu. My wife may want a different combination. 

It's all about everyone being able to better tailor their dining to their individual tastes. That's luxury. 

Nothing's better than running the staff ragged... just because you can 😉

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FreestyleNovice said:

Onboard Edge right now, we asked about ordering from the MDR in Luminae during embarkation lunch. Waiter apologized and said it would take too long and reasons described earlier above.

Thank you for checking...I can understand since the distance from Luminae to the MDR kitchen would result in waiters spending a lot of time running back and forth and delivering lukewarm dishes which would ultimately result in unhappy customers.  I told DH about the other 4 MDR menus and he'll gladly dine there on a night that the Luminae menu is not to his liking. Just can't wait to get back to sailing the Mediterranean. 

• Like 2

The issue is for those of us that solely book in the retreat the menu has become repetitive with limited selections. Of course on M and S class it’s not an issue. On E class it’s a problem. I am looking forward to this new “anytime” menu that has supposedly been added. 

X should definitely expand the luminae menu, especially on E class. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, adolfo2 said:

On S class, we ask for an MDR menu many nights, but order only occasionally. Personally, I find Luminae food to be a little short on veggies, and after 5-6 days, I start looking for things like Bibb lettuce or other plain green salads. I’ve also ordered a side of broccoli and a baked potato, although you may be able to get that just by asking, rather than looking at the menu. It’s rare that we would order an entree from the MDR, beef Wellington once. Mostly we are looking for soups salads and veggies.

The Luminae desserts have the MDR beat mostly. The Greek yogurt dessert on Edge is outstanding.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, WNcruiser said:

The issue is for those of us that solely book in the retreat the menu has become repetitive with limited selections. Of course on M and S class it’s not an issue. On E class it’s a problem. I am looking forward to this new “anytime” menu that has supposedly been added. 

DH would definitely agree - with the limited selections and sometimes odd items - it leaves him ordering from the MDR menu.  We sail a lot of B2B cruises and the Luminae menu can be a little lacking.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WNcruiser said:

I guess X still does not get the point that most of us are returning guests. Thank God they did away with the sausage in the pretzel roll on embarcation lunch. But I still love the fillet on the second lunch day. The lobster roll is great without the roll. 

The menus get stail which is why we reach out to other menus, NOT to make them work harder. We are paying a huge premium for the service. The kitchen can make just about anything. That is their job. That is why we pay twice as much. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, adolfo2 said:

No one is running anyone ragged. It's all the same galley. That's why you can do it on M & S class ships. 

• Like 1

On 8/27/2022 at 6:55 AM, cangelmd said:

Is this your first Edge cruise?

The 4 MDRs are one of the highlights of Edge for me, I highly recommend taking 4 nights off Luminae and visiting each. Each has a small specialty menu, and I think you can order off the specialty menu in each, as well as the nightly menu that crosses all 4

I couldn’t agree more. We really love Luminae. But on the Spring Transatlantic on Edge we weren’t in a suite. The 4 MDR’s on E-class are so nice (IMO), we didn’t feel like sailing in a non-suite category was a “let down” in any way when it comes to dining. 

Excellent advice to take several night’s off from Luminae on a 19-day cruise in E-class and sample all that’s available. 

• Like 1

On 8/27/2022 at 3:04 PM, bigbenboys said:

On the Edge at Luminae in March 2019 is when Luminae added the every night items. When it comes the Edge class I think of Luminae as a European Bistro. Luminae on the other 2 class ship it is more of a fine dining. 

Not sure what you mean. The Luminae menus are the same fleetwide, save for Edge class having the additional everyday items and M and S class having access to the MDR menu. Unless you are referring to atmosphere? I found Edge's Luminae generally busier and noisier than on S and M class save for Reflection which had the same busier atmosphere as Edge. People were dressed similarly regardless of the ship though and really the same as I experienced when eating in the MDR in the past. I would consider Luminae a fine dining venue on all ships based on the higher quality of service and food.

• Like 1

On 8/27/2022 at 12:32 PM, southernbreezes said:
We ate in Blu on the Edge in July. The first night I asked for escargot and french onion soup which is on the main dining menu no problem in fact...after that first night they brought me 3 menus to order off every night after which I never asked for but loved.  Blu, Main dining, and also Tuscany so you should have no issue in Luminae I would think. 

That is likely because Blu is positioned one deck above the MDRs on Edge. Luminae is many decks above and on the opposite end of the ship.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WonderMan3 said:

That is likely because Blu is positioned one deck above the MDRs on Edge. Luminae is many decks above and on the opposite end of the ship.

Yes you are right. I should have added the ship was only 50% full and Blu was maybe 30% when we ate dinner around 7:00.

6 hours ago, WonderMan3 said:

Not sure what you mean. The Luminae menus are the same fleetwide, save for Edge class having the additional everyday items and M and S class having access to the MDR menu. Unless you are referring to atmosphere?

I understood it to be a comment about atmosphere, and I agree with it. Though I haven't sailed S-class, Luminae on M-class was intimate and enjoyable to me. Luminae on E-class was to me a factory--loud and at times manic. Despite the identical menu, they are very different experiences.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, WonderMan3 said:

Not sure what you mean. The Luminae menus are the same fleetwide, save for Edge class having the additional everyday items and M and S class having access to the MDR menu. Unless you are referring to atmosphere? I found Edge's Luminae generally busier and noisier than on S and M class save for Reflection which had the same busier atmosphere as Edge. People were dressed similarly regardless of the ship though and really the same as I experienced when eating in the MDR in the past. I would consider Luminae a fine dining venue on all ships based on the higher quality of service and food.

When Edge 1st started sailing you did not have the additional everyday items at dinner. You know the French onion soup, escargot ect. The items were added to the Luminae menu in March 2019. Yes I mean the atmosphere being noisier, the colors louder. I think @RichYak summed it up better than I could. 

• Like 1

I am enjoying everyone's comments. We haven't sailed in a suite since Luminae was introduced, so not exactly sure what to expect on our upcoming TA. Looking at the menus on the app, DH thinks the menus might be a tad fancy for him. I think they look awesome!

19 hours ago, adolfo2 said:

On the M class ships Blu and Luminae were carved out of the MDR. On the S class ships Blu was new to the build and Luminae was carved out of the MDR. I dont think I run the staff ragged. We do tip our waiters extra. I get it when it comes to the E class ships as the kitchens really are in different areas of the ship.

• Like 2

The children's menu is available in Luminae on the Edge - filet mignon,  pasta and tomato sauce,  etc.  I am a plain eater and have had no trouble in Luminae on the Edge ordering what I consider plain food - filet mignon,  baked potatoes (with notice), plain pasta, chicken and steamed rice, simple romaine or iceberg based salads, chocolate ice cream and chocolate cake. On a 19 day trip almost anything should be available to the Original Poster's husband with notice. Sometimes the trick is having a more experienced waiter,  or speaking directly with the chef or the restaurant manager. 

• Like 1