Italy, Turkey, Greek Islands vs Alaska Cruise/Land Tour

garyl62

I realize this is a personal preference and only we can ultimately decide what is more important to us, but it's always nice to read other people's ideas and viewpoints so here goes.  The options/details are:

1. Italy, Turkey & Greek Islands on Beyond sailing August 7, 2023. Sunset aft Veranda, AI package (prem drinks & WIFI), 11 nights total, plus 3 nights pre-cruise on our own in Rome
  2. Southbound Alaska Glacier on Millennium with Land Tour 10B.  Tour starts July 22, 2023 for 6 nights, cruise is 7 nights in Sunset Aqua (with standard 3 perks), total 13 nights plus 1 or 2 nights post cruise in Vancouver on our own.
  3. Cost is only $40 different, but after differences in OBC, days on our own, airfare and other things AK ends up being about $1,000 less which isn't a big factor to us.
  4. We have never been to either, we need to plan our sailing around educational calendars for the next 5 years as DW is a teacher. 

Debates for us are crowds and heat in August in the Mediterranean vs temperature and passenger demographic of AK sailing.  New ship with more dining options vs renovated M-Class ship, although Blu makes us for some of the dining drawbacks on Millennium. We expect Mediterranean to be more of an active trip while AK would be more relaxing. We can pick AK any summer, if we don't do Mediterranean in 2023 we'd probably would wait 5 years and go in September.

Interested to hear some feedback and ideas!

10 minutes ago, garyl62 said:

I realize this is a personal preference and only we can ultimately decide what is more important to us, but it's always nice to read other people's ideas and viewpoints so here goes.  The options/details are:

1. Italy, Turkey & Greek Islands on Beyond sailing August 7, 2023. Sunset aft Veranda, AI package (prem drinks & WIFI), 11 nights total, plus 3 nights pre-cruise on our own in Rome
  2. Southbound Alaska Glacier on Millennium with Land Tour 10B.  Tour starts July 22, 2023 for 6 nights, cruise is 7 nights in Sunset Aqua (with standard 3 perks), total 13 nights plus 1 or 2 nights post cruise in Vancouver on our own.
  3. Cost is only $40 different, but after differences in OBC, days on our own, airfare and other things AK ends up being about $1,000 less which isn't a big factor to us.
  4. We have never been to either, we need to plan our sailing around educational calendars for the next 5 years as DW is a teacher. 

Debates for us are crowds and heat in August in the Mediterranean vs temperature and passenger demographic of AK sailing.  New ship with more dining options vs renovated M-Class ship, although Blu makes us for some of the dining drawbacks on Millennium. We expect Mediterranean to be more of an active trip while AK would be more relaxing. We can pick AK any summer, if we don't do Mediterranean in 2023 we'd probably would wait 5 years and go in September.

Have you read or seen any of the news reports of the heat waves that blanketed Europe this summer?  I'm sure you can plan on more of the same next summer.  For that reason alone, I wouldn't do a Med cruise in August.  As for the Alaska cruise, I really don't know what you mean by passenger demographics.  But if you're unsure about the Millennium why don't you look at other cruise lines?  All of the main stream cruise lines as well as some of the premium lines have very good Alaska itineraries.

I have done both, but I would never pick August for Europe.  Not only the heat, but so many are on vacation from all over Europe, so it will not be as enjoyable.  I love Italy, Turkey and Greece; however, May/June or in the fall are wonderful.  My next trip is this October, but on Apex.  The only tour I have even done with Celebrity was on Millie.  The ship was fine, but I did not like taking the buses, along with waiting for the same people who were always late, loud and acted like everything was all about them.  Most likely, that will not be your experience.  However, the scenery was gorgeous and overall it was a great vacation.  I just prefer doing my own trips and land vacations with a cruise.  Whatever you decide, traveling is something that is great for the soul and I am sure you will make it a great time. 

Edited by Lastdance

12 minutes ago, baggal said:

...  As for the Alaska cruise, I really don't know what you mean by passenger demographics. ...

I was primarily thinking about the potential of more teens or late teens as part of family sailings.  Happy to see them getting exposed to cruising and enjoying their vacations, but sometimes I'm looking for things that are different than they are.  Never had issues before (we've sailed many Spring Break time Caribbean or even 4 day cruises), so probably not something to be to concerned with, but was a thought we had

35 minutes ago, garyl62 said:

I've sailed Alaska 3 times and am returning July 2023, it can be a very active trip! I've also sailed Europe several times, both are amazing but I vote Alaska for weather during this August. As posted above, I'd also do the land portion on my own. 

In Alaska the ship isn't the focus, it's 100% about the scenery. 

Tours are very pricey, much more than Europe and I do suggest getting out of the port areas for a much better experience. 

Only you know if you care more for wildlife, mountains and glaciers or cathedrals, sunsets and ancient architecture. 

Alaska is truly special! 

Patty 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, garyl62 said:

I was primarily thinking about the potential of more teens or late teens as part of family sailings.  Happy to see them getting exposed to cruising and enjoying their vacations, but sometimes I'm looking for things that are different than they are.  Never had issues before (we've sailed many Spring Break time Caribbean or even 4 day cruises), so probably not something to be to concerned with, but was a thought we had

Sailed Millie twice in Alaska, in August. Kids will not be an issue. More are in the Caribbean and Europe than Alaska in my experience. 

My favorite area for cruising is the Easter Med. We were just on Millie last June Seward to Vancouver. We did not do the land package. We arrives 2 days early and drove to Seward. It was a really nice cruise. Hubbard glacier is amazing. After the cruise we spent time in Vancouver and Victoria. We are back to Alaska in about 10 days. This time on Solstice.

All being said I would book Eastern Med in a heart beat. Your itinerary is great. 

• Thanks 1

I am going agree with the other replies in that Europe is awfully hot in August. We even had a heat wave at the end of June in 2019 in Venice and then on cruise to Rome. When  we go back it will be in May or September. We have done Millie south bound and did a week land trip before on our own. We rented a car (Hertz) in Anchorage, drove to Denali and down to Seward. We returned the car in Seward and walked across the lot to the ship. It was easily one of our favorite cruises ever and is definitely on the list to do again. Our trip was late June/early July and had great weather. I did a lot of research on where to stay etc on the Alaska board trip reports. 

• Like 3

We did Spain, France, Italy, Greek Isles and Montenegro at the last 2 weeks of April in 2018 and the weather was spectacular!  Brilliant sunshine with highs in the 70’s in ports with a light breeze every day and refreshing lows in the 60’s on the ship at night. Heaven! We are going to Italy, Turkey and Greece April 18 - May 6 in 2023 and chose this same season because of the crowd size (low) and beautiful weather. We love traipsing around old towns and ancient ruins and I can’t imagine doing that in the blazing heat of August. June, July and August are the hottest, busiest and most expensive months in the Mediterranean months and many Europeans will take the entire month of August off for their holiday so restaurants and attractions might be closed or limited. Have never been to Alaska - it’s on my bucket list but when I do - it will be on Princess and during a time when kids are in school. And I will add some sort of land tour to Denali or somewhere like that in order to have that whole “lodge” experience 🙂 good luck on your decision…it sounds like you are in for a lovely vacation either way 

I too agree with other posters that Europe in August too hot and more crowds due too Europeans vacation in August. If you can do Spring or Fall in Europe that would be my advice.

I know the ship you choose is important but I would choose the itinerary first. 

DW and I are booked on Beyond for May 2023, Italy, Turkey, Greek Isles. Granted, as others have stated, that part of Europe can be hot, averaging 81 degrees Fahrenheit in August as opposed to 50 - 65 degrees in Alaska in July, with 18 hours of daylight. Quite the difference in daily weather. 

We have cruised in Alaska, and it is absolutely gorgeous. Vancouver is a vibrant, cosmopolitan city. We have cruised similar itineraries in Europe including Italy and Croatia. Absolutely beautiful. Depending on how magnetic the draw for each option, that will determine which one you choose.

Either cruise will be a memorable one. If you can hold off Europe for five years, consider doing so. If Beyond tugs just a little more at your current cruising desires, by all means do it. You will certainly know what to expect and you will be prepared for it.      

• Like 1

1 hour ago, garyl62 said:

I did alaska northbound on millenium this august.  There was hardly any kids or teens.  

as for Relaxing versus active, there are so many excursion choices, alaska can be as active as you want.

I did a canoe paddle, river rafting, zip line, bike riding and some easy hikes.

honestly, I think you could find whatever you were looking for and kids and activity won’t limit your trip at all.

I think weather and scenery should be your deciding factors.  The med will be HOT.  Will you be able to handle the heat in Aug to do the things you want in the heat without it negatively impacting you?

Alaska in Aug (5to 12 were my dates) was warm to cool.  Never hot.  Never cold.  Mostly overcast and damp.  A bit of actual rain. Not a lot of sun.  If you want a sunny holiday, alaska in Aug may be a let down.

I enjoyed my alaska cruise on millenium a lot.  Haven’t been to the med, but it’s on my bucket list.  

Alaska is about Nature. It is beautiful.  

The Med is about Culture.  You realize nothing in the USA is old.    (except some Native American sites)

You can see Alaska in one or two visits.  Europe requires many visits. Best cruises are Med, Baltic and coast of of Norway.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lastdance said:

I have done both, but I would never pick August for Europe.  Not only the heat, but so many are on vacation from all over Europe, so it will not be as enjoyable.  I love Italy, Turkey and Greece; however, May/June or in the fall are wonderful.  My next trip is this October, but on Apex.  The only tour I have even done with Celebrity was on Millie.  The ship was fine, but I did not like taking the buses, along with waiting for the same people who were always late, loud and acted like everything was all about them.  Most likely, that will not be your experience.  However, the scenery was gorgeous and overall it was a great vacation.  I just prefer doing my own trips and land vacations with a cruise.  Whatever you decide, traveling is something that is great for the soul and I am sure you will make it a great time. 

I agree, never go to Europe in July or August. Maybe June. I would go mid September (my 9/11/23 cruise Rome to Barcelona) thru October. Never been to Alaska. I avoid anywhere ice is.

We have experienced both and have a a preference for the med. For us Alaska was a once and done experience.  We did the land tour independently.  we were there in late July and did not find the trip to be overly populated with children; however the demographic mix was younger. The experience is more nature/scenery and history.  For us the experience was similar in many regards to things we have experienced here in Canada.

The med is much more focused on history and culture. We have been several times in the summer...yes August, and are returning in '23 in October. August is the traditional European holiday period and it is hot and busy.  We will probably return to the med and Greece a few more times but definitely not in August.

Edited by ScubesDad

Looking at this from a different perspective…Alaska will always be relatively  ‘easy’ for you to do. For us it was a long journey, a fabulous cruise that we loved and combined  with a tour of Washington State…

Europe, from where you live, will always be a significant journey and as time goes by it will become increasingly expensive and flights are likely to increase in cost. Hotel prices etc are also presently on the rise. 

In the years leading up to my retirement (I was also in education) there was constantly the thought in the back of our minds to put things on the bucket list…Leave them for a later date…When the weather was better, the prices were better….However, leaving Europe for a later date has its risks. Firstly, Italy and Greece are simply stunning and once visited you will want to go again, and again and again…Secondly, to thoroughly enjoy, excursions are long and demanding…if one of you develops a dodgy knee or iffy hip between now and retirement your excursion choices become more limited…

Be honest with yourselves….What do you really want to see/do? We have visited both Italy and Greece in the hot months and have no regrets…We visited the Acropolis at midday and were surprised how quiet it was…The lady we bought our tickets from simply said “You are from England?”…Yes, you need to pace yourselves but don’t leave Europe on the back burner too long, one visit is not enough and it needs to be experienced whilst you are fully fit and well to get the most out of it.

Re reading my post, I am not anti Alaska, we loved our cruise there and would do it again. I just feel long haul adventures shouldn’t be left too long…

Edited by chemmo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

We have been to Alaska on cruises twice ( Princess and NCL) with children and grandchildren. Great time BUT if you have never been to Italy, Greece and Turkey and don't think you can go for five years! And lets face it , stuff happens, I would go to Europe. What you will see will be really special. And something you will think about all the time.  Frankly mid-September is just as hot. You would need to go April to mid June and then late September thru October for ideal weather. We have been on cruises in the MED many many times. There is half the ice ( glaciers) in Alaska than there was  twenty years ago and except for Glacier bay we found our recent cruise boring. And the weather can be cold and rainy and miserable. I'll take hot any time. And the Ship is soooo much nicer.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Lastdance said:

I have done both, but I would never pick August for Europe.  Not only the heat, but so many are on vacation from all over Europe, so it will not be as enjoyable.  I love Italy, Turkey and Greece; however, May/June or in the fall are wonderful.

100% agree. OTOH, Alaska in July will be perfect.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lastdance said:

This! We have done Alaska several times and in several different months. August will be fine for an Alaska cruise. We've cruised the Italy, Turkey and the Greek Isles itinerary in May, August, and October. I would never have chosen August, but it was the only time my son and DIL could take vacation. Never again, though. It was SO hot, and the crowds were awful. October is by far my favorit time of year for this itinerary.

• Like 1

It's a tougher question than it seems on the face of it. Having the luxury of having done each of these several times (Alaska 3x vs. Med 9x), my opinion is definitely colored by the fact that neither one is new to me.  So I'm trying to put myself back in the frame of mind I had when I first started seriously traveling. 

I think chemmo is onto something about bucket lists and not putting things off. I know of at least one poster on CC who retired the month before COVID hit with big plans to travel in 2020 -- several cruises booked -- and then had to sit home for another 1.5 years before she could really start traveling.  I also know that my own grandmother, a school librarian, did some travel in her summers but was waiting for retirement to do some far-flung and lengthy trips. She died of cancer just a couple years after retiring.  Never got to many bucket list destinations.

So with that said, if it were me, and I had the chance to go to the Med for the first time (even in August) or wait 5 years, I would go to the Med. Yes August is hot. Yes August is crowded. But to allay your fears, major sites are not closed and with good planning (e.g., pre-purchasing tickets in advance to avoid long lines, taking private tours in a car or mini-van with good A/C and cold water available to you between stops) you can minimize the discomforts.

If I were making the choice for me, now, not sure I'd pick the Med in August. But I'm not sure I'd go back to Alaska either.  Instead I'd probably look at an Iceland/Greenland/Canada itinerary out of Boston or NY area.

Three times in Alaska was really too much. I went once as a teen with my parents, then once with my own son. Third visit was last summer when I was stir crazy for just about any cruise after two years and Alaska was the easiest alternative. Didn't do that much ashore but boy we loved every minute being on the Millennium with only about 40% capacity.

For the record I'm going back for a 10th and 11th cruise (BTB) in October in the Med on Constellation, and I'm sure I'll go back again -- it's a place one never gets tired of.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just some random thoughts from someone who actually lives in Alaska and has also done a number of Med cruises (always in the fall).

When fellow cruisers ask us where we live and we tell them we live in Alaska we have had a number of folks tell us that that they have been "all over" the state in one or two cruises.  If I find them really irritating I ask them what they thought of Utqiagvik and they respond with the deer in the headlights look.  A SE Alaska cruise is at best a small taste of an enormous state.  

I have no idea what cruise tour 10B entails but unless folks are traveling with someone very infirm I suggest they DIY in Alaska for their land portion.  Alaska is a very easy place to navigate.  When I type the following it sounds snarky and obnoxious but in Alaska we drive on the same side of the highway as the rest of the US,  you will find ATMs exactly where you would expect to find them, and we don't have bandits or pickpockets.  

If tour 10B includes Denali National Park folks need to understand that in August 2021 the sole road into DNP was closed at the Pretty Rocks section (approximately mile 42).  The original road was constructed on an area of ice rich land in that section, the ice is melting and the road is sliding off the mountain.  The NPS has secured funding to try to bridge the problematic section.  It is unclear to me how far along the work has progressed or if in fact if the actually bridge construction has even started.  No one knows when road access will be possible past Pretty Rocks.  I have always thought that tourists short change themselves when they don't go into the park as far as Eielson Visitor's Center (mile 66) since prime wildlife viewing is past Pretty Rocks.

Given the issues in DNP an interesting alternative would be a DIY to Wrangell - St. Elias National Park & Preserve.  Kennecott Mines National Historic Landmark  is extremely interesting as is a visit to McCarthy. Valdez and Prince William Sound are also nearby.

• Like 2

Thanks everyone.  As we knew when we booked it, and most of you say, August would be hot in the Med so our debate is really do we wait until we could go in a better month (which is the 5 year comment I made) or just do it now.  Lot's of good points from @chemmo @cruisemom42 and @Northern Aurora  I also appreciate the feedback about doing the land portion on our own, that will be something else to consider.  We currently have both trips booked and have booked many shore excursions so we have time to evaluate things more without losing our opportunity for things.  If we cancel everything is refundable at this point.  I didn't make it very clear in my OP since we can do AK anytime it could be we do the Med now, and then in a year or 2 we go to AK.  

What a wonderful dilemma!

i have also been on many Med cruises and have loved every second of them.  Only one  in August as I was cruising with one of my sons who was still on school, the others all in May or October.  August is really hot but we found it tolerable.  We had a two week out of Barcelona ending in Venice with only two sea days.  Also stops in the Greek islands and Turkey.  It was a great introduction for my son who saw all of the highlights in just two weeks but port intensive cruises need more planning and we didn’t do much of the nightlife on the ship.  

i agree with all the other posters that you should not leave the Med for too long.  It is demanding and strenuous if you want to hike in Cinqueterre, traipse around Ephesus of Pompeii.   In August, half day tours would probably be the way to go. You can do dozens of Med cruises and discover different locations every time.  

We have also been to Alaska, it is a wonderful trip.  It was not on my bucket list but had some flights we needed to use or lose.  We chose an itinerary that went up North and a b2b down.  Excursions are costly but well worth it and we were in awe of the scenery.  Demographics seemed to skew a little younger that I expected and is less formal.  Lots of jeans and outdoor wear.  To us it seemed that we would return to Alaska when we were older and would just enjoy the scenery and the ship  as not much culturally. 

Seize the day and don’t wait!

I live in Alaska and have done many AK cruises as well as multiple Med cruises and a variety of other Europe cruises. They’re 100% different experiences and both awe inspiring. My travel philosophy is to do the furthest afield first because you just never know what can happen. We are soooo glad we followed that, not only because of the pandemic but also because I now have an ankle injury that is easy to manage in the US but much more challenging on cobblestone streets and historical steps. Alaska is much easier to access, since it’s within our country. That said, if you’re into major adventure activity, Alaska is better done while you can. 

As a former teacher, I know all about scheduling vacations around the school schedule. We always did our Europe vacations at the beginning of the summer while it was a little less scorching. Would that be a possibility for you? August really is a bad month for going there; it’s when locals take time off to vacation, resulting in way bigger crowds, and the heat is oppressive. If that’s the only time you can go, though, do it. 

Whichever you choose, you’re going to see amazing sights! Happy planning!