American Diner, Why?

jetact

Why does NCL waste the deck space with the American diner? We just got off the Bliss on Saturday and walked by the American diner a handful of times and it was a ghost town. You would think it was closed as there was no one in there. We did not go there on embarkation day for lunch so I am not sure how many people went but on a regular day it was empty. they need to remodel the space and make it something new. 

The American Diner is a wonderful addition to NCL ships, replacing the former complimentary dining restaurants. Kinda like Johnny Rockets on RCCL. 

What would you use the space for? Ping pong?  

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Totally agree with OP on wasted space.  There are a few threads on this topic. 

Some really like the shakes and mozzarella sticks, but a good number of us would like to see some complimentary Mexican or taco place, margarita bar, maybe combined with space for corn hole or some outdoor things you can do in good weather.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

The American Diner is a wonderful addition to NCL ships, replacing the former complimentary dining restaurants. 

??? Huh? You may be the only one that thinks that. It's awful and all they did is replace Jimmy Buffet pay restaurant that nobody used with a worse pay restaurant that nobody uses. Its a bigger waste of space then ping pong tables which I would use. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

The mozzarella sticks and milkshakes are great (milkshakes better than mozzarella sticks). There was a thread, almost identical to yours, a few weeks ago. 

In that thread, I said AMEN to a poster that called for a Mexican place...well really, a Tex-Mex place. Salsa bar, tacos, burritos, quesadillas, all the Americanized Mexican food....yum! Throw in some margaritas and you got yourself a party! Get some jiggly flan too! 

Mmmm, NCL please do it, please! But move the mozzarella sticks to the Local/O'Sheehans. 🙂

• Like 4

It may get more use if they changed it to a complimentary restaurant.  Why they have not done that, I'm not sure.  Like has been said, the times we have been the only time we saw people there was on embarkation day when it was free for Haven guests.  The food was ok, but nothing that you couldn't get elsewhere on the ship for free.  With the exception of the milkshakes. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

The American Diner is a wonderful addition to NCL ships, replacing the former complimentary dining restaurants. Kinda like Johnny Rockets on RCCL. 

Johnny Rockets on RCL has free breakfast.  It did the last time I sailed with them.  

13 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

??? Huh? You may be the only one that thinks that. It's awful and all they did is replace Jimmy Buffet pay restaurant that nobody used with a worse pay restaurant that nobody uses. Its a bigger waste of space then ping pong tables which I would use. 

back in the day on the breakaway and getaway, it was complimentary restaurant. on the breakaway it was called Uptown Bar and Grill. Over the years they removed it and then changed it it became the jimmy buffet paid restaurant which is now the American dinner 

when it was a complimentary restaurant back in the day i noticed it did a wonderful job of reducing the crowds in the buffet area. now with a paid restaurant that no one wants to go to, buffet crowding is sadly the norm 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

The mozzarella sticks and milkshakes are great (milkshakes better than mozzarella sticks). There was a thread, almost identical to yours, a few weeks ago. 

In that thread, I said AMEN to a poster that called for a Mexican place...well really, a Tex-Mex place. Salsa bar, tacos, burritos, quesadillas, all the Americanized Mexican food....yum! Throw in some margaritas and you got yourself a party! Get some jiggly flan too! 

Mmmm, NCL please do it, please! But move the mozzarella sticks to the Local/O'Sheehans. 🙂

Really love the Tex-Mex idea.

At one time, mozzarella sticks could be had for free at O'Sheehans.   Would love for them to bring them back to the Local/O'Sheenhans. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

I'm pretty sure this is sarcasm...@BirdTravels please correct me if I misread you...

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Travelling2Some said:

If I recall correctly the American Diner concept was originally aimed at the Asian market where it was more of a fun novelty.  It wasn't really meant to wow Americans who would consider this type of food very ordinary and not worthy of a special venue. 

I do agree with you, but why is it on so many ships? Just a place-holder after Jimmy Buffet's place left? Seems like a huge loss - they could have put the mini golf course there on the Getaway, instead of just yanking it out...not that they'd make money on it either, but I'd be a happier customer.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Travelling2Some said:

If I recall correctly the American Diner concept was originally aimed at the Asian market where it was more of a fun novelty.  It wasn't really meant to wow Americans who would consider this type of food very ordinary and not worthy of a special venue. 

How true!

Totally agree, it is pretty much a waste of good space. Even when it was a Margaritaville diner, it was not well used.  Unless NCL makes this a complimentary venue probably won't change.  Not many folks are going to pay for lunch in the upper decks area, the Garden Cafe is right there as well. I like the idea of turning that space into a much improved mini golf area!  I liked the one that was on the Getaway, but the one on the Bliss is lame. IMHO.  That said, you are on a fab cruise, lots of choices, find a different place to play or eat.  Enjoy. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Well, at least ping pong tables would get used.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Every time we start these threads I have to go through the pain of remember how we lost the Flamingo Grill on Getaway with it's wonderful Cuban food.  Especially miss those sweet plantains and guava pastries☹️

It was also our favorite place for an uncrowded open air breakfast.   

Having said all that, I am now committed to trying the Milk Shake & Mozz sticks next cruise.

• Like 3

I think NCL is just trying to crack the code on a demo that fries everything, breads everything, and has convinced themselves that breakfast with 25 pounds of pork and eggs buried in cheese is “normal”.   I don’t blame them.  They’ll figure it out.   Let’s be honest.  We Americans are by and large self gorging swine.  

40 minutes ago, Sand and Seas said:

Every time we start these threads I have to go through the pain of remember how we lost the Flamingo Grill on Getaway with it's wonderful Cuban food.  Especially miss those sweet plantains and guava pastries☹️

It was also our favorite place for an uncrowded open air breakfast.   

Having said all that, I am now committed to trying the Milk Shake & Mozz sticks next cruise.

i miss the meatball sandwich at the uptown grill on the breakaway

• Like 1