Recommended Specialty Restaurants for first timer

We have many cruises on HAL, but will be taking our first RCI cruise this fall.    Which of the following specialties would you recommend as a good sampler of what RCI has to offer.     We are on the 14 day transatlantic in the Wonder of the Seas.   I have read about the unlimited dining package but don't see where you could buy that package.   Does that mean its sold out?

Restaurants  

Specialty Restaurants  
Chops Grill 65
150 Central Park 65
Chefs Table 99
GIOVANNI'S ITALIAN KITCHEN 50
Hooked Seafood 55
Izumi 35
Izumi Hibachi 55
Solarium Bistro  
Mason Jar 40

The UDP is very popular on TAs given the number of sea days (when lunch is included too, maximising the value). So it may well have sold out. 

Keep checking your cruise planner though as it may reappear if anyone cancels. And even if it doesn’t, it may well be for sale on board.

As for restaurants, I really enjoyed 150 CP, Izumi (normal, not hibachi), Chops and Giovanni’s. Mason Jar was underwhelming (although I absolutely loved the separate bar and its live country band) and Hooked was disappointing.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

I have read about the unlimited dining package but don't see where you could buy that package.   Does that mean its sold out?

I assume you know how to get into your cruise planner online? That's where it would be. It won't be in the app to my knowledge.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

We have many cruises on HAL, but will be taking our first RCI cruise this fall.    Which of the following specialties would you recommend as a good sampler of what RCI has to offer.     We are on the 14 day transatlantic in the Wonder of the Seas.   I have read about the unlimited dining package but don't see where you could buy that package.   Does that mean its sold out?

Restaurants  

Specialty Restaurants  
Chops Grill 65
150 Central Park 65
Chefs Table 99
GIOVANNI'S ITALIAN KITCHEN 50
Hooked Seafood 55
Izumi 35
Izumi Hibachi 55
Solarium Bistro  
Mason Jar 40

We like chops, 150 central park, giovann's , izumi hibachi.  Very disappointed with the Chef's table- and do not recommend it 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Chops is my least favorite right now.  For a really upscale dining venue I recommend Park 150, for a fun time-Izumi's Hibachi show.  Lately, I loved the Ahi Tuna appetizer (nobody else seemed interested at our table so I ate the whole plate!) 🤫 in Giovanni's along with the filet and Pork Belly. And the Osso Bucco is pretty good also.  Last time there they did not offer Lasagna.boohoo

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Thanks 1

Unless your experience with other likes has already given you a preference for other dining options than the MDR or Buffet options, I'd stick with the options without additional cost for your first RCL voyage.  It took me 7 trips before I opted for Izumi for dinner instead of the MDR Lobster night (I'm just not impressed with rock lobster, nor the feeding frenzy atmosphere on that particular night).  With that one exception, I've been quite happy with the variety and atmosphere of the MDR.  

• Thanks 1

I dont like italian food or Italian spices. So I wouldnt pick Giovanni so asking someone else to pick lol.

I love sushi so that's my first choice. Izumi not the stir fried Hitachi.  

I've never done playmakers so want to try John's onion rings some time! Not sure which ships have this. I've done lobster rolls twice on carnival since restart but haven't done hooked. I havent heard great things about it on reviews. Sounded disappointing. I just want to try a lobster roll. 

On liberty next week which doesnt have a lot of choices. I'll have to wait for allure. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

I have read about the unlimited dining package but don't see where you could buy that package.   Does that mean its sold out?

It was available a day or 2 ago for $350, but it’s gone again. I would check your planner everyday, since some cruisers may be cancelling that have it. I got the 5 night package, back in March for $139. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Tee & Chilli said:

I would look for a package of 3 meals. You can also consider lunches for around $21 pp. Each of these restaurants have a unique menu. I don’t see Wonderland on your list.

No packages available at this time, but may come back if there are cancellations.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

What are the surcharges you found. We have had many  3, 5 ultimate packages and I do not recall a surcharge for anything except Hibachi Grill. 

What's Included

• Unlimited visits to speciality dining restaurants every night of your sailing and lunch on sea days.
  • For restaurants with a la carte pricing, you’ll receive a $20 food credit.
  • For ships with these venues, Teppanyaki/Izumi Hibachi is included, with a $10 surcharge, Chef's Table is included, with a $49.99 surcharge, and Dadong is included, with a $35 surcharge. These will be charged once onboard.

18 minutes ago, loman said:

What's Included

• Unlimited visits to speciality dining restaurants every night of your sailing and lunch on sea days.
  • For restaurants with a la carte pricing, you’ll receive a $20 food credit.
  • For ships with these venues, Teppanyaki/Izumi Hibachi is included, with a $10 surcharge, Chef's Table is included, with a $49.99 surcharge, and Dadong is included, with a $35 surcharge. These will be charged once onboard.

Dadong, that's a new one. First I've heard of it. Good to know new restaurants coming. 

On 9/8/2022 at 7:08 AM, time4u2go said:

Be aware that RC's "Chef's Table" is not a real chef's table in the traditional sense.  It is not in the kitchen, and it follows a fleet-wide menu, neither of which would be the case with a true chef's table.

Best CT ever was on Carnival when they did it in the galley.  I doubt since Covid they do that any longer.  

• Like 1