Teen dress code in Yacht Club restaurant Caribbean cruise

shellyd1

My teens live in oversized t-shirts, basketball shorts, flip flops and jeans/ jean shorts with more holes in them than actual material.  I'm not interested in buying them an entirely new wardrobe to wear for dinner each night.  I'm assuming the usual clothing they wear will be fine for the theatre and the pool deck.  What can they wear for the restaurant for breakfast, lunch and dinner?  I was thinking a pair of cotton docker type pants, a golf/polo shirt and black (not flashy) athletic shoes should be okay for supper.  Would a pair of golf shorts be acceptable (ie nearly knee length, grey/navy/black material)?

I don't want them to look like slobs, but also know that the clothing will go unworn the moment we return from the cruise and will likely not fit for the next cruise.

Any pro tips?

Docker pants and collared shirt. Shorts….no. Buy a pair of kahki and a pair of black dockers. A few shirts. Mix and match. It will be good for your teen to step outside his comfort zone and dress the part due for a nice dinner in the YC. Breakfast and lunch are more casual as long as they avoid bathing attire. Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Like 6

11 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Are they still in school?  What do they wear to school?  What they are required to wear in my area would do fine, even on dress up nights.  EM

MSC, or any other cruiseline for that matter, is not school!

We travelled last month with 2 16 years olds and a 15 year old.  We had 3 dinners at the YC restaurant with them.  We made sure that they brought a couple nice outfits for dinner but we did not ask them to over dress because we took the country club casual approach.  On a our cruise, they did have a buffet several nights at the  YC Pool grill from 6-7.  This may have been done because of the number of children on the cruise.  The kids took advantage of the buffet and also went to the Mexican restaurant.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hamrag said:

MSC, or any other cruiseline for that matter, is not school!

No , but if they have to dress nicely for school, they do not have to go out and buy new stuff.  Where I live, the kids are to wear black, navy or khaki pants, shorts, skirt.  White khaki, navy, or black shirt.  Any color sneakers will do.  EM

• Like 1

My granddaughters, ages 12, 14 and 19 wear cute sundresses usually to dinner on our cruises.  The 2 youngest get hand me down fancy dresses for more formal nights. I have seen the kids around here and how they dress for school…short shorts, ripped jeans. Definitely not for dinner on a cruise. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, CruiserGrandma2 said:

My granddaughters, ages 12, 14 and 19 wear cute sundresses usually to dinner on our cruises.  The 2 youngest get hand me down fancy dresses for more formal nights. I have seen the kids around here and how they dress for school…short shorts, ripped jeans. Definitely not for dinner on a cruise. 

I think it's easier with girls.  My girls loved the whole package when it came to cruising...shopping for the dinner outfits, packing a ton of shoes and accessories to accompany the dinner outfits, and then finally donning the dinner outfits...hopefully after finding a nice piece of jewelry from whatever port we visited that day.  Dang, they cost us a lot of money!  But they are grown up now.  What I wouldn't give for just one more cruise with my teenage daughters....NOT!  LoL.  Truth is, we still cruise together but they buy their own clothes now.  Whew!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Hlitner said:

What a horrible prospect that teens would need to actually dress-up like a grown-up (at least some grown-ups).   Oh, the horror!

Hank

Seems a bit harsh.  I let my children wear what they like which is what most teens wear.  It is inappropriate clothing for a nice restaurant (just like my comfy gym gear).  However, I am hoping to minimize the amount of money that is wasted to buy them clothes they will never wear again.  There are no uniforms at schools in our area and all the teens wear the same ripped up baggy style clothes.  It's also not my practice to buy something and use it once.  I can find clothes for them to wear, I was simply hoping to find out what I could buy that would fit the criteria of the restaurant and still reflect their personality.

Unfortunately, dress code discussion is one of the worst parts of CC. People have VERY strong feelings and aren't afraid to share them. I think the options you listed would work well. Maybe if you don't want to make a big investment in clothing they won't wear again, they can borrow something they like from a friend that would work. I believe comfort is important and worrying about what others think about your appearance should be given very little thought (easier said than done to be sure!). 

P.S. My son may or may not have worn dressy shorts to dinner in the YC on our Med Cruise, no one here will ever know because I have been too afraid to mention it.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, shellyd1 said:

Seems a bit harsh.  I let my children wear what they like which is what most teens wear.  It is inappropriate clothing for a nice restaurant (just like my comfy gym gear).  However, I am hoping to minimize the amount of money that is wasted to buy them clothes they will never wear again.  There are no uniforms at schools in our area and all the teens wear the same ripped up baggy style clothes.  It's also not my practice to buy something and use it once.  I can find clothes for them to wear, I was simply hoping to find out what I could buy that would fit the criteria of the restaurant and still reflect their personality.

Being turned away from the restaurant will also feel harsh, not to mention highly embarrassing for you and your teens!

The best advice I can offer is go back and read Georgia_Peaches at post #2 on this thread, take that advice on board (pun intended) and retire from this thread. 😉

• Like 3

2 hours ago, hamrag said:

The best advice I can offer is go back and read Georgia_Peaches at post #2 on this thread, take that advice on board (pun intended) and retire from this thread. 😉

Agreed.

Also maybe discuss this with your teens. Something like: “We're going to go on a nice place that has rules. Those rules are not open to discussion, and we need to make sure everyone in this family understands them. As parents we wanted to show you some options we've been thinking, and let you have your word, so that you can express yourself while we are together on this holiday.”

• Like 5

14 hours ago, shellyd1 said:

Interesting view on parenthood!  Are there no limits in your household?  Not being sarcastic, just curious.  Eat whatever they want, whenever they want?  Watch any television show anytime?  Use any kind of language they want, whenever they want?  Engage in whatever activity they want (legal or illegal) whenever they want?  I suspect you may be in for a rude awakening when your children are thirty and still living with you to support them.

• Like 5

On 9/12/2022 at 2:15 AM, Georgia_Peaches said:

Docker pants and collared shirt. Shorts….no. Buy a pair of kahki and a pair of black dockers. A few shirts. Mix and match. It will be good for your teen to step outside his comfort zone and dress the part due for a nice dinner in the YC. Breakfast and lunch are more casual as long as they avoid bathing attire. Enjoy your cruise!

This, exactly. Let me just to add: Being YC the top MSC cruises product, one would expect that it would also to be the more formal one, or at least the one where people will be a bit dressier.

My pro tip? Teach your kids that YC restaurant is like going on a top restaurant at home or going for a wedding. They don't go underdressed on those occasions, do they?... Tell them those rules are set to be followed. There are some affordable vendors that may satisfy your "once in a lifetime" need, or either way if their size is near what their parents use, they can have some of your adequate clothing to go along!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, shellyd1 said:

There are no uniforms at schools in our area and all the teens wear the same ripped up baggy style clothes.  It's also not my practice to buy something and use it once.  I can find clothes for them to wear, I was simply hoping to find out what I could buy that would fit the criteria of the restaurant and still reflect their personality.

I, for one, do not want to be in the YC restaurant with teens in ripped up baggy style clothes.  The criteria of the restaurant, as others have said, is clean, neat, appropriate.  Slacks on gentleman and collared shirts.  No ball caps.  If the teens don't want to adhere to that, great, but then go to one of the many other outlets onboard to eat dinner.

• Like 3

Wow.  A lot of people have really misinterpreted my question.  In no way was I going to let my teens wear ripped up clothes or look disgraceful in the restaurant.  I was hoping to get an idea of what was acceptable that might get worn again.  Ie dressy shorts and a polo shirt.  Thank you to those that were understanding and offered ideas of what was appropriate so we can be prepared.