The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday September 19th, 2022

richwmn

@mamaofami

3fd70c4469801cf6583758a9db429c76.jpg.2581f432c381a32a57d24dcd0749751e.jpg

6 minutes ago, kazu said:

I confess I’m confused @dfish  If the seller accepted your offer with contingencies and all conditions have been met - how can he ask for more?  things must be different South of the border than here.

He technically hasn't accepted the offer.  His counter offer had the contingencies listed and we've met them.  Now his problem is that he has to wait so long to close on the house because my buyers have a conventional loan.  My realtor says we deserve a price drop because the seller is so annoying.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

Good morning everyone. Up early watching the queen's funeral. It’s a very sad day for England and the world. 
Today marks 63 years ago that Sam and I were married. We actually eloped on the 19th and we’re remarried by a rabbi on the 20th so we celebrate both days.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

Happy 63rd wedding anniversary Carol and Sam.

Screenshot_20210822_162032.jpg

• Like 10

15 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

Today marks 63 years ago that Sam and I were married. We actually eloped on the 19th and we’re remarried by a rabbi on the 20th so we celebrate both days.

A very happy anniversary to you both - 63 years is well worth a good celebration 👍 

3BAC3B48-5040-4400-A77B-FAE80212BF82.gif.8001199f50512c723795d6ea0185358d.gif

• Like 14

Good morning. I want to add my Anniversary  wishes to Carol and Sam @mamaofami.

Special hugs to @grapau27, Graham and Pauline. It is a sad day for the world and a very moving funeral.

We were at this port  during the VOV on the Veendam.Thank you Sandi @StLouisCruisers for the great pictures. I remember a hike to a waterfall with my DB.It is magical in Iceland.

Roy @rafinmd, we very much appreciate the inclusion on the Cares list.We are managing much better now and I expect the  situation  will have many ups and downs.I defer to your judgement but think we could be taken off the list in order to have space for others.Thank you so much for the ongoing support.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 4

32 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

Good morning everyone. Up early watching the queen's funeral. It’s a very sad day for England and the world. 

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

Many happy anniversary wishes sent out to you Carol and Sam!  I'm sure it's been a wonderful journey for you both🥂🎉.

• Like 12

Good Monday morning.  I woke early enough to see the full service for the Queen, a wonderful program with beautiful hymns.  I loved the Queen's Piper final salute to her from the balcony.  I understand he played that song for her every morning that she was in residence at Balmoral.   A sad day for the people of the UK and the world.  

Thank you for the Daily Reports.  Albom's quote is a good one.   @dfishI hope things get done for your Midland home purchase, I am sure you are so tired of it dragging along like this.  Thank you for the Salsa Roja recipes, I would be thinking Mexican today but DF John woke up this morning and announced he is back on Keto, nothing very Keto at Mexican.   Pass on the banana daiquiri.  The Pinot sounds nice!  @StLouisCruisersthank you for the beautiful photos of Iceland to start our week!  

@mamaofamiHappy 63rd Anniversary!! 🍾

Today will be wrapping up repotting the last of the small potted perennials into bigger pots and then putting that area to rest for the winter.    We are planning a road trip to Baltimore for the Ravens Bills game and plotting a different route to Wheeling WV where we make our first stop.  The Ravens collapsed yesterday but everyone in our division lost so no harm, no foul.   A learning experience I hope. 

Prayers for the new King and the family.  RIP Queen Elizabeth.    

centaurea CST 7122.JPG

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

Good morning from a calm and comfortable central Texas.  Unfortunately, later today, it will be in the upper 90sF.

The noise of replacing the screws is about to begin.  The good news is the two workers were only 10 minutes late, which I would say was on time since they are 30-60 minutes away from here.

DH and our neighbors would probably think I'd lost it if I talked like a pirate today.  Someone else can have my butterscotch pudding while I dance. 

I like the Mitch Albom quote.

Again, we were a day early since we had fajitas on our fajitas last night.  I like bananas and daiquiris, but not mixed together.  Just give be a frozen strawberry daiquiri, and I'll be happy. The wine sounds like one I want to try.

@grapau27  Graham, I'm also thinking of you and Pauline on this sad day for your country.  I confess that while I would have liked to have watched the funeral, I did not get up that early.

@dfish  Debbie, I hope the son does not come up with anymore contingencies.  Buying a house should not be this difficult.  I hope he accepts the offer soon and waits patiently until your house closes.

@cat shepard  Ann, I think I might try that exercise block. 😄

@kazu  Jacqui, I hope the parts arrive and you get your car back today.

@smitty34877  Terry, I'm happy to see you are all managing better.  I hope there are more ups than downs.

Now, I'll look for the pictures I posted earlier from our three stops in Isafjordur.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

Good morning Dailyites. 

A sad day for our UK friends and commonwealths. 

Goodness, it's in a blink that Ann and Linda set sail and already home! The days fly by when you're cruising!

Thank you for the beautiful pictures of Iceland. We have been pondering a cruise there. Going to see how our little holiday voyage goes first.

I remember pirates day last season. Some fun posts.

image.png.9875bf98760f630e416d360ed44bab47.png

Not a pudding lover but make homemade banana pudding for my sweet husband. 

Prayers lifted to all on our growing care list. Have a wonderful week. Live life! 

Edited by Seasick Sailor
add on
  • Like 18

This is the first of two posts of our visits to Isafjordur that I shared on May 6. 2021.

We have been to Isafjordur  three times.  In 2009 on the Tahitian Princess, and 2016 and 2017 on the Prinsendam.  We were fortunate to dock every time.  The dock is located at a narrow point in the channel, so larger ships may not be able to dock.

The first two times were were in Isafjordur we walked around town.  The last time, we rented a car and drove west to see the waterfall, Dynan.  We also drove around the fishing village @StLouisCruisers toured.  Once back in town, we followed the highway around the inlet to Sudavik, another village.

I'll post my pictures of town first, then in another post the ones of our day touring the countryside.

In 2009, the modern church was open.  The interior was as modern as the exterior.

IMG_6222.thumb.JPG.4c2bbcf3ac9b9a42ff9a33557a8db09b.JPG

IMG_6223.thumb.JPG.016c1b4afeab1ecd7679110187555b66.JPG

This is a statue that a cruising friend told us not to miss.  It's a little further from the church and the community building.

DSC06052.thumb.JPG.f47b837d6cf1ca3cd34a4b1cedb2fac9.JPG

Looking across the water from the statue toward the dock and the Elegant Explorer.

DSC06055.thumb.JPG.8ac3e418d572febd6050e7ff8f5457e3.JPG

Like most northern towns, flowers are everywhere in the summer.  

DSC06073.thumb.JPG.44e991555f189e95c9646da4b6f964e6.JPG

A short walk from the dock is the Westfjord History Museum.

DSC06079.thumb.JPG.c2d3e60a68077c8b2db7c261f9f1f6ce.JPG

IMG_6232.thumb.JPG.8146a29be35ea65f59f4b6fe154d3fb7.JPG

IMG_6236.thumb.JPG.b52e4aab6f4ba2dc9a6adb8a2e23be91.JPG

After our day touring the countryside, we stopped at the bakery for a snack and a coke.  (No Dr. Peppers in Iceland, but we did find them in The Falkland Islands).  This is looking from the bakery back into the business district.  I couldn't resist including the bakery truck.

DSC09482.thumb.JPG.71cab05c079aa59449da6134157522d4.JPG

Looking from the Prinsendam back toward town as we were anchored in the channel.  More on that in a minute.

DSC06083.thumb.JPG.da0fa906af99d9969e875c47877b2a6b.JPG

During her 2016 drydock, a rotating, retractable propeller was added to be used as a stern thruster.  In leaving the dock, the ship was also using a tug to help us away from the dock.  We were never totally sure what happened, but the story we heard was the tug let go the line too soon, resulting in the  line wrapping around the "stern thruster".  They had to bring in a diver to try to free the line, which took two dives as it was really wrapped around the prop.  After several hours, the line was free and we were on our way to the next port.  

Lenda

• Like 22
  • Thanks 5

These are the pictures I posted from our 2017 drive in the countryside.

As we were driving toward Dynjand Waterfall, there was a lot of fog, but it did not affect the visibility.  This was the best of the fog pictures.

DSC09430.thumb.JPG.93c9abeef6393e353c4d266ee4aad631.JPG

The remainder of the pictures are from Sudavik.  This is the remains of an old whaling station.

DSC09476.thumb.JPG.dd73938c0e3674257188448440d528b6.JPG

Sudavik is home to the Artic Fox Center.  It was closed, but we walked around outside and saw this cutie.

DSC09478.thumb.JPG.e7178b0f82ef751ebc94b40cbc3a1264.JPG

Sudavik from a distance.

DSC09480.thumb.JPG.a3c5ea0a3cc45a879d24a5c679aa17bb.JPG

Lenda

• Like 18
  • Thanks 6

Good morning to all.

My condolences to the people of the UK, especially Graham @grapau27 and Pauline on the passing of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II.

Watching  the funeral, although I awoke later than I wanted.

Thank you to Rich for the Daily and the Fleet Report.  I am always happy to see it.

And thank you to Roy for the Cares and Ceebration List. Thank you especially for keeping DH and I on the cares list as we go through the heartbreak of seeing our home torn apart.

@dfishThank you for the receipts. Congratulations on your pending sale of your home and hope the purchase of the new home goes smoothly without too many more requests from the present owner.

Prayers for all who are ill and suffering.  And Cheers to those celebrating, especially @mamaofamion the celebration of your 63rd Anniversary.

Nice collection of days, I like the drink, and the wine. Think i will pass on the meal.

I like the quote.

Today we will go down to our house.  I will try to get some more things in order.  I am not sure if anyone from Service Master will be there.  We are waiting on a Plumber to disconnect the Bathtub and Shower so that the demolition can move on. We are try to go at an easier pace.  This is going to happen whether we get upset or stay calm.  Whether we watch every move they make or let them work.  Better I don’t let my blood pressure rise.

I hope all have a good day.  

Stay safe and God Bless,

Terri

Edited by Cruzin Terri
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good morning from a calm and comfortable central Texas.  Unfortunately, later today, it will be in the upper 90sF.

The noise of replacing the screws is about to begin.  The good news is the two workers were only 10 minutes late, which I would say was on time since they are 30-60 minutes away from here.

DH and our neighbors would probably think I'd lost it if I talked like a pirate today.  Someone else can have my butterscotch pudding while I dance. 

Again, we were a day early since we had fajitas on our fajitas last night.  I like bananas and daiquiris, but not mixed together.  Just give be a frozen strawberry daiquiri, and I'll be happy. The wine sounds like one I want to try.

@grapau27  Graham, I'm also thinking of you and Pauline on this sad day for your country.  I confess that while I would have liked to have watched the funeral, I did not get up that early.

@dfish  Debbie, I hope the son does not come up with anymore contingencies.  Buying a house should not be this difficult.  I hope he accepts the offer soon and waits patiently until your house closes.

@smitty34877  Terry, I'm happy to see you are all managing better.  I hope there are more ups than downs.

Now, I'll look for the pictures I posted earlier from our three stops in Isafjordur.

Lenda

Thank you Lenda.

The funeral procession is now near Windsor castle where the Queen will stay in a vault at St George's chapel with her husband, sister and her mam and dad.

Graham.

• Like 10

Up very early this morning to watch Queen Elizabeth's funeral. I wanted to make sure I was early enough to see the procession from Westminster Hall to the Abbey. The service was sad, but beautiful. My condolences to all who mourn her.

Now I'm watching the procession to Windsor Castle. The bagpipes are haunting.

Graham @grapau27 , do I remember correctly that you and Pauline attended one of the Queen's tea parties at Buckingham Palace? What a nice memory to have!

Edited by NextOne
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, puppycanducruise said:

@grapau27Hugs to you and Pauline.  This is a difficult day for many.

3 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the report, Rich on this terribly sad but moving Monday.  I like @puppycanducruise's comment about Pirates and Butterscotch but I am not a dancer.  I like the Alborn quote but have never been to or even booked to Isafjordur.  I don't like spicy so I'll pass on the meal.

Today’s care list:

Prayers for the UK and Commonwealth as Her Majesty is laid to rest
Western wildfires, Puerto Rico, and Taiwan
Emergency workers, including Maryland Urban Search and Rescue

Strength and healing for smitty34877 and family
Marshhawk’s friend Jesse with throat cancer and in denial
Seriousness of Cruzin Terri’s leak damage
HAL Sailer Sister in law feeling too week to meet her brother
From the rotation:
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1), msmayor (5/20) and JAM37 (7/7)
Heartgrove brother discharged but in hospice care
Strength for luvteaching’s friend Karen after Wayne’s 9/3 death
Sandi’s neighbor Linda

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Dfish home under contract
Welcome back cat shepard
Still fight left in HAL Sailer Sister in Law
Rowsby in Hawaii until 9/28
ger_77 and aliaschief with grandkids
New temporary residence for Cruisin Terri
Good oncologist report for bennybear
Welcome home lindaler and aliaschief
Marshhawk (Ecstasy to 9/22), norseh20 (Regata  to 9/25),  Oceansaway17 (Adventure OTS to 9/25), Vict0riann (Nieuw Amsterdam  to 9/25), sailingdutchy (Oosterdam  to 10/10), and  Gail&Marty (Rotterdam to 10/15) at sea
Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

3 hours ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone!   

It is a dark and stormy morning here in northeast Ohio.  I am going to have to go to the gym to get my morning laps in.  We are still bantering back and forth with the seller of the home we want.  I think he's having a hard time letting go of the house.  It was his childhood home and his dad lived there up until March when he died.   Many, many memories in that house.  Now that we've met his contingencies, he's asking for more.  We agreed to a couple of them so now we'll see what he comes up with.  

Today's meal suggestion is part of a meal.   Salsa is a common ingredient in Mexican cuisine, served as a condiment with tacos, stirred into soups and stews, or incorporated into tamale fillings. Salsa fresca is fresh salsa made with tomatoes and hot peppers. Salsa verde is made with cooked tomatillos and is served as a dip or sauce for chilaquiles, enchiladas, and other dishes. Chiltomate is a widely used base sauce made of tomatoes and chiles. The type of pepper used for chiltomate varies by region, with fresh green chiles being more common than habanero in Chiapas. Tamales are often identified according to the type of salsa they are filled with, either salsa verde, salsa roja, salsa de rajas, or salsa de mole.

In the United States, salsa is used in marinades, salad dressings, stews, and cooked sauces. In addition to accompanying various fish, poultry, and meat dishes, it is also used as a condiment for baked potatoes, pasta dishes, and pizza.

This easy homemade salsa roja recipe is the ultimate Mexican salsa, perfect for tortillas, tacos and burritos, with tomatoes, jalapeno, lime juice and more. Serve as a salsa or sauce!  https://www.chilipeppermadness.com/chili-pepper-recipes/sauces/salsa-roja-mexican-red-table-sauce/

71615677_salsaroja1.thumb.jpg.e30d036bb1094a1ac6394bc8c58f9d69.jpg

This next recipe is a little chunkier, which I like.  https://www.mylatinatable.com/salsa-recipe-mexican-salsa-roja/

153545153_salsaroja2.jpg.d9c18197e9a05467d7baf396b8a777b5.jpg

Personally, I like mine more of a pico de gallo.  I put it over fish with some olive oil and basil.  I put a cover on it and bake it till done.  Mmmm.   https://cookieandkate.com/classic-pico-de-gallo-recipe/

1156851123_salsaroja3.thumb.jpg.272671de5b8c9436735a6a43ae78f229.jpg

Of course, you can always move away from the tomatoes and make a corn salsa.  That is just as good.   https://cookieandkate.com/fresh-corn-salsa-recipe/

1995004530_salsaroja5.thumb.jpg.bd4fe8ee8255f61d41e171494fa58e08.jpg

Thoughts today with the people of Great Britain and the Queen is laid to rest.  Wishing you all a wonderful day.  I'm packing boxes.  

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  I got up very early today so I could watch the Queen's funeral.  I began watching right when the heads of state filed into Westminster Hall.  I recorded earlier events and will watch them later.  My sympathy to Graham and Pauline @grapau27and @Paw13as they sadly watch their Queen being laid to rest.

Thanks for the day to celebrate today Rich @richwmn.  I like butterscotch pudding, watching people dance (but not me), and talking like a pirate.  Arrrrgggghhhh!  

I appreciate the food and beverage department for their work each day.  Thanks to you Roy @rafinmdfor the lists this morning.  Prayers for all and cheers to those celebrating.

Isafjordur, Iceland is a very nice port to visit.  We last had Isafjordur as our destination on May 6, 2021.  Here is a link to retrieve your photos.

My first stop there was in 2015 on the Caribbean Princess on a London to Norway to Iceland to New York Transatlantic cruise.  During that port stop I took a tour that went out into the countryside so I may be able to show some photos from those two villages as well.  Our second visit to Isafjordur was this past June before Covid hit us on Island Princess. Here's a cute photo I took June 6, 2022 of two little girls holding their pet chickens, sitting on the sod roof of their garage.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJYqzRME184wnlDzOVCoFSdqCe7ffHDJpwno-pEcjtJnw?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1656960960

Isafjordur, Iceland (pop. 2748) was an interesting port of call, just like the rest of Iceland.  The word means ice fjord according to my research.  The following photos were taken in 2015.enhance

Being small it's an extremely walkable town.  DH and I took the walk around before I headed out on my tour.  enhance

A good place to stop on this morning was to the bakery to pick up a baked good to enjoy.enhance

A little marketing tool for the bakery was this classic vehicle parked outside the door with some advertising on the side.enhance

It would probably be hard to get lost here, unless you can't speak Icelandic (which I can't).enhance

A church and graveyard.enhance

A statue commemorating fishing.enhance

A building called the Culture House.enhance

We went inside and it was 3 stories tall and had a library and museum.  I took a photo of this description of the building history and usage. enhance

What appears to be local housing as we left the Culture House.enhance

We saw a little park entrance nearby so went to take a look.  Using whalebones as arched entrances is pretty common in these parts, though many of us can recall the whalebone archway in Stanley at the church along the shore as well.enhance

The sign says this is a Catholic church, and if so, it's one of the smallest ones I've ever seen.  enhance

Another bigger church.  With not a lot of activities for residents here maybe churches fill a void in the community for fellowship with others.enhance

I'm glad to see the Fire Department is well represented here.  enhance

That's all for the town of Isafjordur.  Next up are some photos from my afternoon tour of the Botanical Garden in Skrudur and a fishing village called Flateyri.  We took a bus to the Garden and along the way saw the typical topography and scenery of this part of Iceland.enhance

enhance

We had to pass through a tunnel in the mountain in order to get to where we were going (and back to the ship later).  The Botanical Garden was founded by a pastor at a boarding school nearby.  It's sometimes called the Botanical Garden in the Middle of Nowhere. It is the northernmost Botanical Garden in the World, beating out Akureyri, Iceland's garden.

As seen from the road and then from the parking area.  We had to walk the remainder of the distance.enhance

enhance

enhance

I'd say this is the vegetable garden section, wouldn't you?enhance

A water feature.enhance

enhance

enhance

The garden displays were simple but it was nice to get out into the countryside to see flora and fauna.  Being mid September most of the flowers were gone unfortunately.

Another whalebone arch.enhance

Maybe the gardening tools are kept here.

enhance

I think I'll start a new post for the fishing village.

2 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Graham & Pauline, thinking of you two. Hugs for both of you. 

1 hour ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning. I want to add my Anniversary  wishes to Carol and Sam @mamaofami.

Special hugs to @grapau27, Graham and Pauline. It is a sad day for the world and a very moving funeral.

We were at this port  during the VOV on the Veendam.Thank you Sandi @StLouisCruisers for the great pictures. I remember a hike to a waterfall with my DB.It is magical in Iceland.

Roy @rafinmd, we very much appreciate the inclusion on the Cares list.We are managing much better now and I expect the  situation  will have many ups and downs.I defer to your judgement but think we could be taken off the list in order to have space for others.Thank you so much for the ongoing support.

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Lenda

50 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Good morning to all.

My condolences to the people of the UK, especially Graham @grapau27 and Pauline on the passing of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II.

Watching  the funeral, although I awoke later than I wanted.

Thank you to Rich for the Daily and the Fleet Report.  I am always happy to see it.

And thank you to Roy for the Cares and Ceebration List. Thank you especially for keeping DH and I on the cares list as we go through the heartbreak of seeing our home torn apart.

@dfishThank you for the receipts. Congratulations on your pending sale of your home and hope the purchase of the new home goes smoothly without too many more requests from the present owner.

Prayers for all who are ill and suffering.  And Cheers to those celebrating, especially @mamaofamion the celebration of your 63rd Anniversary.

Nice collection of days, I like the drink, and the wine. Think i will pass on the meal.

I like the quote.

Today we will go down to our house.  I will try to get some more things in order.  I am not sure if anyone from Service Master will be there.  We are waiting on a Plumber to disconnect the Bathtub and Shower so that the demolition can move on. We are try to go at an easier pace.  This is going to happen whether we get upset or stay calm.  Whether we watch every move they make or let them work.  Better I don’t let my blood pressure rise.

I hope all have a good day.  

Stay safe and God Bless,

Terri

45 minutes ago, irishjim said:

+1

14 minutes ago, kazu said:

It’s not just people in the U.K. that are mourning the Queen.  Many Commonwealth countries are if not all.  Many Canadians are saddened to lose their previous beloved Head of State.  

1A44A99A-5840-4E33-8155-4ED19F0CD587.gif.401f633a2acf4ed0adcd2042ecb746d8.gif

Thank you everyone for all your nice messages for Pauline and I and tributes for Her Majesty today on her funeral day.

Graham 

• Like 11

1 minute ago, NextOne said:

Up very early this morning to watch Queen Elizabeth's funeral. I wanted to make sure I was early enough to see the procession from Westminster Hall to the Abbey. The service was sad, but beautiful. My condolences to all who mourn her.

Now I'm watching the procession to Windsor Castle. The bagpipes are haunting.

Graham @grapau27 , do I remember correctly that you and Pauline attended one of the Queen's tea parties at Buckingham Palace? What a nice memoey to have!

Thank you.

We attended a Royal garden party at Buckingham palace in May 2016 and saw the Queen and Prince Philip.

Graham.

IMG_20160510_173423.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 19