The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday September 19th, 2022

richwmn

1 hour ago, dfish said:

am just sick.   We had a hard rain last night.  It was hard enough that there was still water pooled in the back yard.  It eventually soaks in, but it takes a while.  I went down to check the basement and discovered that there was water over near the sump pump.   My neighbor, a plumber, came over and checked the sump pump and it is working.  We did notice that the wall was wet up near the top, not so much near the bottom.  The water is not coming from the floor of the basement.   So, next stop was outside.   There is a pool of water near the sump pump outside.  Soil has been eroded away and it is lower, allowing water to pool up there.  Also, the drain from the sump does not drain into the drainage pipe.  It misses it by a small bit and just empties into the pool of water.  Trevor felt that if we built up the soil in that corner and if he realigns the drains to match that should take care of the problem.  I sure hope he is right.  The realtor asked me to ask Trevor to write up what he had done to fix the problem.  

Oh Debbie, as one going through a water problem right now, I am sorry for your problems.  I hope it can be remedied quickly without much repair.  You are in my prayers.

Terri

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Oh, Debbie, just what you didn't need.  The good news is your neighbor will be able to fix it for your and at least, the rain let you discover it in time to remedy the situation.  Than goodness for good neighbors.  Fingers crossed 🤞  that this is the last surprise.

Lenda

26 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Go Trevor! Wishing & hoping that this is it, Debbie!

26 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Oh Debbie, as one going through a water problem right now, I am sorry for your problems.  I hope it can be remedied quickly without much repair.  You are in my prayers.

Terri

Thanks, Lenda, Ann, and Terri.   I am in knots over this.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I've just taken a loaf of bread out of the oven; baking therapy, lol.

@Cruising-along I'm glad you had a good time with the grandsons, although sorry to hear of missing Nimbus. Thanks for the photos.

@durangoscots I recorded Ken Burn's Holocaust program, but will wait a bit to watch it.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Fingers crossed for no further roof leaks. 

@dfish Oh no on the water leak. Deep breaths! At least you found out about it now and can remediate it. And good to have a helpful plumber neighbor! I have some issues with water seeping through the basement wall on one side, and need to get that looked at one day.

@cat shepard I'm enjoying reading about your trip, and the pictures. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, dfish said:

I am just sick.   We had a hard rain last night.  It was hard enough that there was still water pooled in the back yard.  It eventually soaks in, but it takes a while.  I went down to check the basement and discovered that there was water over near the sump pump.   My neighbor, a plumber, came over and checked the sump pump and it is working.  We did notice that the wall was wet up near the top, not so much near the bottom.  The water is not coming from the floor of the basement.   So, next stop was outside.   There is a pool of water near the sump pump outside.  Soil has been eroded away and it is lower, allowing water to pool up there.  Also, the drain from the sump does not drain into the drainage pipe.  It misses it by a small bit and just empties into the pool of water.  Trevor felt that if we built up the soil in that corner and if he realigns the drains to match that should take care of the problem.  I sure hope he is right.  The realtor asked me to ask Trevor to write up what he had done to fix the problem.  

We've been looking and right now there isn't anything comparable.  We'll persevere.  

Debbie, good news if you think about it.  The water wasn't leaking at the floor level of the basement.  It was at the top.  Much worse problem if at the floor level.  You said there was erosion which made a lower spot or dip in the ground level along the wall. The water collects there and sits for a while and if there is even the tiniest crack it will find its way to the inside.  We had that issue once when we first moved in.  We could see a glistening along a hairline crack in the cement wall of our mechanical room in the basement.  Outside there was a dip in the soil right along the wall there.  If you fill in that dip and make sure the water flows away from the wall, you will be good!  Also make sure the sump pump doesn't deposit water from your basement close to the cement walls.  It should drain out at least 3 or 4 feet away from your basement.  Grade your soil and make sure that pipe is lined up like Trevor said.  Don't fret!   You can handle this.  Just make sure you get the wall/floor dried up before the inspection and get those exterior problems fixed.  You've got this!

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

I’m so sorry Debbie. 
Hopefully this is your only hitch in the process. Thank goodness for good neighbors!

Let's hope.  I'm feeling a bit better after reading that 60% of basements have water issues at one point or another.  

1 hour ago, JazzyV said:

@dfish Oh no on the water leak. Deep breaths! At least you found out about it now and can remediate it. And good to have a helpful plumber neighbor! I have some issues with water seeping through the basement wall on one side, and need to get that looked at one day.

Best to deal with it now than later.  This has probably been happening for a while, but I'm not in the habit of checking for water after every rainstorm.  In fact, I tended to avoid the basement like the plague.  Too many spiders and spider webs.

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Debbie, good news if you think about it.  The water wasn't leaking at the floor level of the basement.  It was at the top.  Much worse problem if at the floor level.  You said there was erosion which made a lower spot or dip in the ground level along the wall. The water collects there and sits for a while and if there is even the tiniest crack it will find its way to the inside.  We had that issue once when we first moved in.  We could see a glistening along a hairline crack in the cement wall of our mechanical room in the basement.  Outside there was a dip in the soil right along the wall there.  If you fill in that dip and make sure the water flows away from the wall, you will be good!  Also make sure the sump pump doesn't deposit water from your basement close to the cement walls.  It should drain out at least 3 or 4 feet away from your basement.  Grade your soil and make sure that pipe is lined up like Trevor said.  Don't fret!   You can handle this.  Just make sure you get the wall/floor dried up before the inspection and get those exterior problems fixed.  You've got this!

Sandi, you are making me feel so much better.  I don't know what is worse, my basement or Lenda's  @Quartzsite Cruiser roof leaks.   I tend to think the roof is worse since the water comes down and ruins everything along the way.  When I had the roof leak that put a hole in my bedroom ceiling I had nightmares of dying of crush injuries during the night until the ceiling was repaired.  Roof was repaired long before the ceiling was.  

• Like 7

14 hours ago, highscar said:

I was in the line that went through Westminster to see King George fifth  lay in state in 1952.  Watched the Coronation and left for Canada the next day.  Proud to see our Canadian Mounties lead the parade for the queen.  

Late today because I have been glued to the tv, with many tears.  Truly the end of the era  Impressive to see all the planning and how the commonwealth was included.  
I too was very proud to see the Mounties leasing the procession.  

The queen loved the horses Canada gave her,  her favourite Burmese, she rode for twenty years and is buried at Windsor.  The Royal Canadian mounted police rode Canadian horses that had been gifted to the queen and have Been ridden by the royals During her jubilee.   Such amazing planning and tribute to Her Majesty.  

2D65B094-AD36-46BD-A7D4-0CCC3035E087.jpeg

• Like 15

11 hours ago, Overhead Fred said:

Shiver me timbers!

Yesterday's diner was a hit. The Mexican street corn salad was delicious and I highly recommend trying it. I used a chimichurri-style wet rub on the grilled sirloin and served it with freshly made chimichurri sauce - another winner that will be repeated! It works well for a larger group since it doesn't take too long on the grill. Mitzi's potato salad was up to her usual high standards. I also tried Ree Drummond's green beans and tomatoes. Since they have bacon in them it was bound to be good and it did not disappoint. Ree has a few versions of this recipe but I used the one from Parade Magazine ( https://parade.com/224585/reedrummond/green-beans-and-tomatoes/). It is a very forgiving recipe since it can cook for a long time and can be held at serving temperature for fairly long. It might take the place of the ubiquitous mushroom soup-based green bean casserole this Thanksgiving. We made a rustic blueberry tart topped with vanilla crème fraiche and lemon zest for dessert. 

So, we tried three new-to-us recipes and they all were good and we will make them all again. The only down-side was that everyone dug into the food before I could get pictures to share here!

Those are my favorite green beans to make. Easy side dish on the back burner while everything else cooks. I use the recipe from Food Network.  I kind of like soft green beans. Careful with the cayenne though. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Those are my favorite green beans to make. Easy side dish on the back burner while everything else cooks. I use the recipe from Food Network.  I kind of like soft green beans. Careful with the cayenne though. 

Hi Sharon! Also enjoy the recipe. I make the green beans a bit al dente. Then Sautee mushrooms and onions. Add tomatoes and simmer for 10 minutes. Add green beans and simmer for 10 minutes. Yum!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, dfish said:

I am just sick.   We had a hard rain last night.  It was hard enough that there was still water pooled in the back yard.  It eventually soaks in, but it takes a while.  I went down to check the basement and discovered that there was water over near the sump pump.   My neighbor, a plumber, came over and checked the sump pump and it is working.  We did notice that the wall was wet up near the top, not so much near the bottom.  The water is not coming from the floor of the basement.   So, next stop was outside.   There is a pool of water near the sump pump outside.  Soil has been eroded away and it is lower, allowing water to pool up there.  Also, the drain from the sump does not drain into the drainage pipe.  It misses it by a small bit and just empties into the pool of water.  Trevor felt that if we built up the soil in that corner and if he realigns the drains to match that should take care of the problem.  I sure hope he is right.  The realtor asked me to ask Trevor to write up what he had done to fix the problem.  

We've been looking and right now there isn't anything comparable.  We'll persevere.  

Oh dear Debbie - I so know that feeling.  When I was selling my house, the same similar thing happened and I had to spend $1,000 to fix it.  The builder didn’t use enough gravel (or something like that)  House has never had the problem again.

I’m glad you have a kind neighbour who can help.  If the inspector hasn’t been out yet - and sees it - just tell him it was the first time - the reason has been identified and it’s being fixed.  And you already have documented it, wisely.

I know that doesn’t make it seem better for you - but any reasonable inspector would ‘get’ it.  

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, kazu said:

Oh dear Debbie - I so know that feeling.  When I was selling my house, the same similar thing happened and I had to spend $1,000 to fix it.  The builder didn’t use enough gravel (or something like that)  House has never had the problem again.

I’m glad you have a kind neighbour who can help.  If the inspector hasn’t been out yet - and sees it - just tell him it was the first time - the reason has been identified and it’s being fixed.  And you already have documented it, wisely.

I know that doesn’t make it seem better for you - but any reasonable inspector would ‘get’ it.  

We'll deal with it.  At this point, I will give the buyers the money to fix it.  I'm done messing around with this place.  

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, dfish said:

We'll deal with it.  At this point, I will give the buyers the money to fix it.  I'm done messing around with this place.  

Debbie, I'm going to add my two cents worth of advice.  Since this is the apparently first time it's leaked, it sounds to me like your neighbor has the correct solution, which shouldn't be too expensive to fix.  If it was me, I'd do that, then, if it turns out to need more done, I'd give the buyers the money to fix it.  Now, I'll shut up and mind my own business.

Lenda

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Debbie, I'm going to add my two cents worth of advice.  Since this is the apparently first time it's leaked, it sounds to me like your neighbor has the correct solution, which shouldn't be too expensive to fix.  If it was me, I'd do that, then, if it turns out to need more done, I'd give the buyers the money to fix it.  Now, I'll shut up and mind my own business.

Lenda

I don't know if it is the first time.  It is the first time I know about, but I'm not in the habit of checking the basement walls every time it rains.  We will have the opportunity to check out the neighbor's solution tomorrow as it is supposed to rain overnight.  Then, we'll know.  As my realtor said, we can't change things now.  We'll just disclose what we discovered to the buyers and let the chips fall.

• Like 2