The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday September 23rd, 2022

richwmn

Today is International Day of Sign Languages, Love Note Day, and Teal Talk Day

If you were half as funny as you think you are, you'd be twice as funny as you really are.--H.N. Turteltaub, The Sacred Land

Meal Suggestion for today - Sardinhas assadas
Drink of the Day - New Fashioned
Wine of the Day - Simonsig 2017 Labyrinth Cabernet Sauvignon (Stelle
Destination of the Day - Qaqortoq, Greenland

Eurodam

Victoria BC, Vancouver Island, BC Canada 20:00 - 23:59

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination Vancouver, BC Canada eta 09/24

Nieuw Amsterdam

Prince Rupert, Kaien Island, BC Canada 07:00 - 16:00

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea Destination Quebec City, Canada eta 09/24

Noordam

Tracy Arm Fjord, Alaska 09:00 - 17:00

Oosterdam

At Sea Destination Corfu Island, Kerkyra, Greece eta 09/24

Rotterdam

Flam, Norway 07:00 - 19:00

Volendam

Trieste, Italy

Westerdam

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island, Alaska 07:00 - 13:00

Zaandam

Boston, MA arrive noon

Zuiderdam

Tracy Arm & Juneau, Alaska 13:00 - 22:00

0923World.thumb.png.2ac76ac23d1619fd78ea7e9a28b297de.png

• Like 24
  • Thanks 9

Thank you for the TGIF report, Rich.  I like the days although I have no idea what Teal Talk is.  I love the quote, but have not been to Qaqortoq.  The meal sounds like a nice challenge for 0106.  My alternative is railroad french toast, my last meal on Amtrak's Empire Builder  September 23, 2017on the way to Seattle to board the Oosterdam:

frenchtoast.jpg

Leaving early for groceries and Panera.

Today’s care list:

RIP MissG DFIL 9/22/22
Dfish day from **LL
1Angelcat medical insurance problems
Western wildfires (and persistence of Stone Creek fire) and those in Fiona’s path
Emergency workers, including Maryland Urban Search and Rescue
Marshhawk’s friend Jesse with throat cancer and in denial
Seriousness of Cruzin Terri’s leak damage
From the rotation:
HAL Sailer Sister in Law with aggressive cancer therapy
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1), msmayor (5/20) and JAM37 (7/7)
Heartgrove brother discharged but in hospice care
LocoLoco1 recovering from back surgery

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Volendam at Trieste
6 days for LoveTheBeach (Adventure OTS 9/29 to 10/8)
1 day for fatcat04 (Nieuw Amsterdam 9/24 to 10/2)
Rowsby in Hawaii until 9/28
Welcome home Marshhawk
0106 covering menus for dfish
SeaViewer and others covalent boosters
norseh20 (Regata  to 9/25),  Oceansaway17 (Adventure OTS to 9/25), Vict0riann (Nieuw Amsterdam  to 9/25), sailingdutchy (Oosterdam  to 10/10), and  Gail&Marty (Rotterdam to 10/15) at sea
Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 25
  • Thanks 14

Good morning.  Thanks for the Fleet and Daily Report.

Happy Friday!

Interesting days, I learned a little bit of sign language years ago, but I have forgotten most of it.  I need to learn again.  I think I need to write a love note to my sweetie.  I had to google "teal talk day"  an important day to learn about ovarian cancer.

Love the quote.

Looking forward to seeing the recipe for today's meal.

I'm sure the drink and wine will be winners.

It's a cool morning, the sun will be up soon so Bertie and I will head out for our first walk soon.

Prayers for everyone. 

Hope Hurricane Fiona isn't too terrible for our friends down east.

Stay safe.

• Like 25

Good afternoon.

13°C and sunny here on the North East coast of England.

Thank you for today's fleet reports and Daily Rich.

Many thanks to Roy for our lists,I hope you enjoy your visit to Panera.

Important days today.

True quote.

I don't know what today's food is.

Prayers 🙏 for everyone who is unwell.

Wishing everyone a lovely weekend.

Graham.

Screenshot_20220923_115330.jpg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 6

Thanks for our TGIF Daily, Rich.

Great collection of days especially sign languages & Teal Talk discussing ovarian cancer.  Without a cure, Teal Talk is very important for those affected.

Not sure about the quote - seems a tad harsh to me.  I’ll have to wait on the meal recipe and description today.

@HAL4NOWI so wish I could send you some of our rain (sound on).

And no, this isn’t Fiona - it’s the cold front and trough that Fiona is going to collide with - it was like this all day - teaming, pouring, blowing rain.  Still raining this morning but it’s supposed to stop until tonight.

Looks like the storm will hit Nova Scotia, PEI & western Newfoundland the worst according to projections.  If things hold true we will have a tropical storm / cyclone.  Tropical storms are not to be taken lightly though as they have high wind gusts that do a lot of damage.  What the forecasters are saying about the storm for Atlantic Canada:

479A9655-CC33-40B4-B1FF-C17D143E98BE.thumb.jpeg.b43de0acd13f13cabf585e041f373898.jpeg

And for the first time ever, I have an email from our power company (and yes, we are in the “special area” of the province):

381EEB73-45B7-44FB-B12E-F90FD87C057C.thumb.jpeg.3a0f2d5b80e2d0b20397e6898d61fcb5.jpeg

I just wish these dam storms didn’t come at night.  You can’t see what’s happening and only hear the wind.  But,   I am grateful that it is not coming straight for us any longer and so feel for neighbouring provinces.

I have a generator, food and of course, wine.  So, I’m prepared 😉

AEC28967-BE08-4448-B7F2-F0ADDFDE2A2D.jpeg.248e587dcba1310f56c20a163765c988.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Friday everyone!!!

926F7744-BB73-4268-A771-026FBAE47ABA.thumb.jpeg.d129bb795b2f493d3e049d14e81fd1ea.jpeg

Stay safe if you are in the path of the storm or fires and please don’t forget your 😷 when/ where needed.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 7
  • Haha 3

Good Friday Morning Dailyites!  I'm home!  Had a great cruise, even though it was "not as advertised".  This was the longest cruise we have taken so far, and I still wanted to stay on board for another 10 days.  So I am looking forward to the 14 and 25 day  upcoming cruises.

I have for years done the anytime dining, but after this cruise never will again!  At least on Carnival, so I have a question,  on HAL do you have to use your phone to do anytime dining?  Is every event posted on your phone?  Do they still have a printed  daily event schedule?  When I vacation, I want to be as far from a phone as I can.  Poor Chuck, he never could put his phone in the safe and walk away.

After waiting more than an hour for two meals under anytime dining, we asked the Guest Services if it was possible to change to assigned time dining, which they did, found us seats at a table for 10,  and one couple never showed up for any of the meals.  Maybe they never made it to the ship?  So we met some great people and enjoyed their company making dinner a bit more fun.

Our goal in each port was to find good coffee.  Amber Cove won with Domican Republic coffee (Cafe Dominicano), second place goes to Key west, with Cuban Coffee marketed as "do stupid things faster" third was Grand Cayman at the Waffle Monkey, fourth was Grand Turk- at the Starbucks , and we never got a chance to grab some coffee in Cozumel our shore excursion was fun, but we had very little time on the island, and no chance to shop.  We were the last ones back to the ship, no pier runners!  But we didn't make dinner that night either.

The cats were very glad to have us home, we got pizza after leaving the suitcases off, so that's all there is to eat in the house.  Loads of laundry to do, and I do have to get Chuck up to get to his doctors appointment today.  It's good to be home, I missed all of you!

d5bb09d137eecf877172bff167fb4cb8.jpg

• Like 34
  • Thanks 2

Oops!  Need more coffee!  I posted today's meal in yesterday's Daily.  Here's it is again.

I was excited to research Sardinhas assadas, a classic grilled sardine dish that is a traditional food from Portugal. This is a simple dish, but it is packed with bold, big flavor that I look forward to trying on my Spanish Farewell cruise in November.

Sardinhas assadas in the Portuguese culture

Due to its geographic location along Western Europe’s Atlantic coast, Portugal is a seafaring country and is arguably the most well-known sailing nation in the world. With this affinity and proximity to the sea comes a great love for seafood, which is embedded in the Portuguese food culture. And no other seafood embodies Portuguese cuisine like the sardine.

Sardinhas assadas is one of the most popular dishes in Portuguese cuisine and originates from the Lisbon and Vale do Tejo regions. The dish has been a traditional local festival food for saint celebrations for centuries, and the traditional sardine festivals that take place in the first 10 days of August. These festivals often feature hundreds of sardines roasted on a open fire grill inside specially made grates that make flipping easy. It is such a deep part of Portuguese culture that it is common to find grilled sardine festivals in Portuguese immigrant communities throughout the world.

sardines-grilling

Sardinhas assadas may seem intimidating but are exceptionally easy to make. After cleaning, the fish are seasoned with coarse salt and grilled on both sides for about 10 minutes. Sardines are typically served on top of a slice of bread, which soaks up the oily fat form the fish, which provides its distinctive flavors. They are often paired with a side of roasted potatoes and peppers.

Sardines can be gutted, or “cleaned”, before grilling but many traditional Portuguese recipes also will cook the sardines whole and removed the innards before eating. The bones of sardines are edible because they are very thin and brittle, but the harder and spiny backbone should not be eaten.

This recipe stuffs the sardines with bay leaves, lemon and lime zest, and chopped parsley and cilantro stalks.  https://tastecooking.com/recipes/grilled-sardines-with-green-peppers-sardinhas-assadas-com-salada-de-pimentos/

image.jpeg.73b0096db4d1b7c70d8cb97f29302b4c.jpeg

I love caponata: eggplant, olives, capers and tomatoes.  A nice addition to this recipe. https://monahansseafood.com/grilled-sardines-with-caponata/

sardine_caponata-1.jpg

Edited by 0106
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 14

New Fashioned cocktail:

Ingredients
1 part Cruzan® Aged Dark Rum
1 tsp Sugar
1 dash Bitters
1 Orange Slice
1 splash Soda Water
Garnish with Cherries

Instructions
Muddle the orange slice with sugar (cube) and bitters in a rocks glass. Add ice, and remaining ingredients and stir. Garnish with a cherry.

Screen Shot 2022-09-23 at 7.40.26 AM.png

• Like 18
  • Thanks 10

8 minutes ago, 0106 said:

@kazu  Great minds think alike.  I was going to attach the link and then decided to edit and copy and paste, apparently at the same time you were doing it!  I hope everyone enjoys viewing the Daily meal twice.  

LOL - I had time to edit and deleted mine.  Sorry about that 😔 

• Like 11

Thank you for today’s Report & Daily, Rich! Roy, thank you for taking care of our lists! @0106, Tina thank you for stepping in at a moment’s notice!  

@dfish, Debbie, sending positive vibes and best wishes to you & Sue!

It is another spectacular morning. Fiona has robbed us of our moisture. But we had so much rain while I was gone, my pool is still really full.  Heading to the gym for a new Tai Chi class. It really is an amazing test of one’s balance. 

Boy does this ever apply to me….

31CC0B23-FDA3-4F85-B707-414F76852E5A.jpeg.7a55a964666d9531763523e57e157988.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Simonsig 2017 Labyrinth Cabernet Sauvignon

This South African Cab has very good to excellent reviews from both consumers and experts.  I found one California distributor offering it for $29.00 + shipping. Overseas distributors offered it for $24.59, but imagine the shipping cost!

92 Wine Enthusiast

Distributor notes

The Labyrinth Cabernet Sauvignon 2017 is a classic expression of Cabernet Sauvignon with a fine balance between power and elegance. The wine displays a dense opaque colour. A beautiful expression of bramble berry and blackcurrant infused with violets, graphite and fynbos. Velvet smooth tannins coat the palate with perfectly judged use of wood that respects the fruit.

Braised short rib with turnips and carrot purée. Deboned lamb rib with charred cauliflower and jus. Flavourful and heartier pastas.

VARIETY : Cabernet Sauvignon [ 98% Cabernet Sauvignon, 2% Merlot ]

ageing : 

Soft and perfectly drinkable now but should benefit from further ageing over the next 6 to 8 years.

Simonsig has been producing Cabernet Sauvignon since 1976 and achieved early success when the 1977 vintage won the General Smuts trophy after being judged as the Champion Wine of South Africa. Simonsig replanted and expanded its planting of Cabernet Sauvignon over the last decade and it now has mature vineyards planted with the best clones available in South Africa. These shy bearing vineyards are planted on deep red weathered granite and shale soils with high moisture holding capacity. This minimises the need for irrigation and gives great concentration of flavour. Our terroir in Stellenbosch has proved over many years to be the best area in SA to grow the finest quality red wines.

in the vineyard : The 2017 vintage was a challenging one that led to a smaller, but very promising harvest for the Stellenbosch region. The Cape’s drought conditions and dry warm weather produced grapes with small berries with great fruit intensity and big concentration. The cooler nights and warmer days during the ripening period resulted in grapes with excellent colour and fruit formation. The Cabernet Sauvignon 2017 did not disappoint, and we were delighted with the quality and intense fruit spectrum from the five blocks.

in the cellar : 15 months in oak. 99% French Oak, 1% American White Oak. 1% 1st fill, 68% 2nd fill, 23% 3rd fill and 8% older.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 7

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily fleet report. Catnip and treats for everyone today for this week’s second birthday celebration.  I’ll pass on today’s meal suggestion although I’m sure the cats would love it.  It’s a beautiful day today although a bit too cool for DH.  It supposed to get into the 50’s as a high.  The furnace company is coming this morning for the annual preventative maintenance.  Not too many meetings on today’s work calendar so I’ll be chasing customers to finish their requirements for the government.  I hope everyone has a good day today.

image.png.56360a8e400447e2f51aa78b15e9d1b5.png

• Like 11
  • Haha 16

Good morning friends!  It was 58F when we awoke and went for a walk outside.  We saw one deer and that is it for wildlife.  Thanks Rich @richwmnfor the Daily and Fleet Report.  I like sign language day (so important), wiriting a love note to my DH, and saluting those who have been affected by ovarian cancer.  The quote is funny, I guess.  No thanks to the drink, wine, or menu suggestion.  Hoping Debbie @dfishhas a successful weekend house hunting and that the weather is good all weekend too.  Jacqui @kazugood thing you battened down the hatches and are ready to ride out the storm.  I sure hope it isn't too serious.  @HAL4NOWpraying the wildfires are put out soon and urging the raindrops to come your way to help out.  Welcome back Annie and Chuck @marshhawk.  We missed you too!  

Thanks Roy @rafinmdfor the lists today.  Prayers said before I was out of bed this morning.  Cheers for the happy folks celebrating and cruising.  

Qaqortoq, Greenland was a great port of the day, listed on March 3 of last year, as shown below.

Here are my photos from that date.

We went to Qaqortoq in 2011 and 2018.  The first time (Sept. 2011 on Emerald Princess) DH and a friend walked to the top of the tallest hill to see what was on the other side of the island.  Turns out it was some icebergs.  

The local nursery school teachers brought all the toddlers to the "downtown" area to see all the strange people who had invaded their town.  They enjoyed seeing us as much as we did them. enhance

Here is the oldest fountain in Greenland.enhance

This photo was taken in the Brugseni grocery store parking lot.  There is a church right there next to the grocery store.  As you can see you have to pay close attention while backing up or even driving forward with that huge rock they left in the middle of the parking lot.  It must have been too big to move, so no texting and driving please!

enhance

Next are some photos from Aug. 2018 on the Seabourn Quest.  We went over to shore in the morning for some sightseeing, then later when the fog came in we headed back to ship for lunch.  In the afternoon we had bright sunshine again and went back for a hike up to the top of the hill like DH did in 2011.enhance

Here is the fish market.  We saw something that looked like whale blubber.enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

View of the town from the top of the hill during the afternoon walk.enhance

We took a shortcut down the stairs to get back down to the tender.  Last tender was in 30 minutes.enhance

I hope that there will be more ports of the day in Greenland.  So much to see there.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 6

Good morning! Currently 74F and will get to 89 today. On my walk yesterday I tripped and fell and came so close to major injury. My hand is pretty scraped up but it prevented my face from hitting by an inch. I was walking on a sidewalk and didn’t notice a cement slab had lifted probably due to a tree root and caught it with my toe and down I went. Feeling very Blessed that I walked away from that. Please no list or replies needed.

We have been to today’s port and indeed Greenland was a sight to behold. Thanks for the pics.

Not sure what’s in store for today other then a more careful walk and some yard work.

Thanks for the Fleet Report and other tidbits.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 4

Happy Friday!    @aliaschiefThank goodness you caught yourself on your fall.  Broken bones, broken teeth etc.  So glad you made it through.  

Thank you for the Daily Reports.   The quote is funny, we often think ourselves funny but are probably saying something stupid.   Sardines are available at Costco from time to time and they are the nice big ones like in today's recipes.   Pass on the cocktail but the cab sounds great.   Looking forward to more great photos of Greenland.   

Prayers for all on our care list and for the people in the past and future path of Fiona.   Prayers for the people and fighters in Ukraine.  I am off to get my hair done at noon.  Nothing like cutting the day right in half but it was the earliest I could get.  Last haircut was in May and I am pretty shaggy.    Have a wonderful day!!  

Here is the picture of the Rover I talked about last night.  I am sitting by the Moselle River behind Weingut Heribert Kerrpen.   Proabably 2002.   

nancy rover on Moselle '00.jpg

Edited by ottahand7
  • Like 29

Good morning from a still central Texas.  The sun is just now coming up, but it looks clear out.  This is the day I wish there was some wind and clouds, at least while I mow the yard this morning.

Another interesting collection of days.  When I was in elementary school, several of us tried to learn sign language, but I don't remember much of what we learned.  Love notes are nice.  Teal talk days is important.  @grapau27  Thank you, Graham, for the explanation.

Today's quote in intriguing, but I'm not sure I like it.  We'll pass on the meal and the drink, but I would love to try the wine.

@kazu  Jacqui, I'm glad you are prepared for the wrath of Fiona.  Sending positive thoughts your way and for all the Maritime Provinces. Just remember, if you don't need a corkscrew if you have cardbordeaux.  A hint:  if you don't have a corkscrew, your can screw a long screw into the cork and use pliers to pull the cork out.  It's a very slow, difficult process, but it does work.  DH used that trick once when younger DD did not have a corkscrew.

@HAL4NOW  The pictures last night were stunning, but not what we wanted to see.  I hope you and your town remain safe and that you get some much needed rain to help control the fire.

@marshhawk  Welcome home, Annie and Chuck.  We always have anytime dining on HAL, but on the  Koningsdam on our recent cruises, they gave us a standing reservation at a table.

@aliaschief  Bruce, you know someone had to comment.  😉  I'm glad you missed serious injury yesterday.

We have been to Qaqortoq twice, and yhis is what I posted on March 3. 2021. 

We have been lucky enough to visit Qaqortoq twice, once in 2009 on the Tahitian Princess and again in 2017 on the Prinsendam.  The weather the first time was cold and rainy, but in 2017, we had a nice sunny day.

This is one of the buildings as it was in 2009.

IMG_6091.thumb.JPG.22e34c033c3fbd28cd62b2d07862d639.JPG

And the same building in 2017.

DSC09665.thumb.JPG.0f6754f918d543b0f25b4c4d2ead98ea.JPG

We were looking forward to seeing that car again.

A stone statue..

DSC09641.thumb.JPG.e643ce2a88b696b491a56d3b911f130d.JPG

An overview of the town.  Like most towns in Greenland, the houses are brightly painted.

DSC09656.thumb.JPG.7c1400aacac3c0a0fc7d5728d8b7a994.JPG

On the westbound  passage through Prince Christian Sund, we anchored in an open area, and the Capitan (who can't be named on CC) and several others from the ship went ashore to visit with the villagers.  On the eastbound passage, we again anchored and were allowed to go ashore in groups of about 250 for no more than an hour.  Aappilatiog was a very small village and you could see everything in the allotted time.  Many of us were disappointed that very few of the villagers were around.  We found out later, the entire village except a few people were on the Prinsendam enjoying pizza and hamburgers.  While their grocery store had a good variety of provisions, they did return with several boxes of goodies.

Inside the grocery store, which was also a general store.

DSC09689.thumb.JPG.ab7af976ecf3ec98055b4a3c0f39f0bb.JPG

DSC09690.thumb.JPG.0f508e55436a36b86bf268b1ff9d0093.JPG

Lenda

• Like 25
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, ottahand7 said:

Happy Friday!    @aliaschiefThank goodness you caught yourself on your fall.  Broken bones, broken teeth etc.  So glad you made it through.  

Thank you for the Daily Reports.   The quote is funny, we often think ourselves funny but are probably saying something stupid.   Sardines are available at Costco from time to time and they are the nice big ones like in today's recipes.   Pass on the cocktail but the cab sounds great.   Looking forward to more great photos of Greenland.   

Prayers for all on our care list and for the people in the past and future path of Fiona.   Prayers for the people and fighters in Ukraine.  I am off to get my hair done at noon.  Nothing like cutting the day right in half but it was the earliest I could get.  Last haircut was in May and I am pretty shaggy.    Have a wonderful day!!  

Here is the picture of the Rover I talked about last night.  I am sitting by the Moselle River behind Weingut Heribert Kerrpen.   Proabably 2022.   

Lovely photo.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ottahand7 said:

Here is the picture of the Rover I talked about last night.  I am sitting by the Moselle River behind Weingut Heribert Kerrpen.   Proabably 2002.   

That looks like a decent rental car, especially if automatic.  Steering wheel on the "correct" side (LOL).  You did well, getting that car.  Unfortunate about the fender bender though.

@aliaschiefsorry to hear about that fall!  Roots lifting cement slabs happen all the time so we must be on alert.  It's a good thing you didn't hit your head when coming down.  Very lucky!

• Like 20

Good Morning from an overcast but warm day at the beach

Crazy weather . Yesterday was the first day it has not rained in 2 weeks. It doesnt rain all day but it comes down pretty good. Our golf course remains closed. Hope I can to play at least once before we leave.

Fiona was going by us ( offshore)  but it caused very high surf. I went for my walk last nite and a neighbor told me to be careful. Well I did not get very far when this wave hit me hard. I was in ankle deep water and next thing I knew it was up to my waist. The receding water was very strong. So I turned around and went home, soaking wet. The water was up to the dune cross overs. The surfers are out in full force this AM.

@kazu Stay safe in the storm. A tropical storm can be just as powerful as a hurricane. 

@dfish House hunting very rarely goes smooth. It will all work out. You will find an even better house. 

Today it is flu shots.

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

• Like 24
  • Thanks 3