Bringing Instruments - Guitar for Example

Maleficent's Dad

May as well beat this horse some more.

Imagining some lady (GF, Wife, Daughter, Aunt, Neighbor, Concubine, etc) on a cruise ship, playing the ukulele in a public setting and I begin to wheeze.  I don't even like Don Ho playing it, and h was supposed to be good at it (he's also dead).

Or, the same playing a guitar and singing, imagining she's Sheryl Crow when in reality, she sounds more like Rosanne Roseannadanna.

Agree with you OP....tell her to nix the Guitar and Uke.  If she stays home, you're better off and will enjoy your vacation more.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, PATRLR said:

I'm sorry, but anyone who does not comprehend that OP is talking about neighbor's wife needs to go back to reading comprehension class.

Remember you are dealing with a group of people many of whom do not know the difference between Their and There, Your and You're, or Then and Than, and frequently use Seen when they actually mean Saw.  It appears that a large number of people here slept through 3rd grade English class.  🙂 🙂 🙂

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, MoCruiseFan said:

Remember you are dealing with a group of people many of whom do not know the difference between Their and There, Your and You're, or Then and Than, and frequently use Seen when they actually mean Saw.  It appears that a large number of people here slept through 3rd grade English class.  🙂 🙂 🙂

Can I buy you a drink?

• Like 4

Bottom line - anywhere it might be appreciated for music to be played publicly at a given time there's a pretty good bet that NCL has a musician playing or some other activity planned.  Playing on the balcony would be accepted about as much as a "boom box" being played on a balcony (or music playing through phone or Bluetooth speakers these days) - not at all.  Inside the cabin?  The cabin walls are thin, "activities" done in the 'privacy' of your cabin may not be as private as you think!

• Like 6

I find it interesting that no one has mentioned how phenomenally disrepectful to the professional musicians onboard the neighbor's proposition would be. 

The charter group notwithstanding, as that's a completely different situation, a musician, no matter how talented, deciding that she should intrude on professionals' work space is not okay. My daughter is a choir teacher. She only sings karaoke when on a cruise, and only when it's her turn. She does not bring her flute (she was first chair in college; she's really good). My son teaches public speaking and has won multiple Shakespearean competitions. He doesn't launch into a soliloquy onboard or in any other inappropriate situation.

There are professional entertainers onboard a cruise. They make their living by entertaining. Intruding into their workspace is beyond rude. Can you imagine someone who has their own boat deciding that s/he should be allowed to take the helm? A line cook in a restaurant barging into the ship's galley?

Just about everyone enjoys at least some kind of music. That doesn't make it okay to decide that one's own musical abilities will be appreciated "everywhere she goes."

Thank you, OP, for having the courtesy to find out if it's okay for your neighbor to do this. Even if there is not a specific rule prohibiting it, it is most certainly not okay. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MamaFej said:

a musician, no matter how talented, deciding that she should intrude on professionals' work space is not okay.

Could somebody please point me to the post where the OP said that neighbor's wife was planning to set up shop in the Atrium and compete with the NCL musicians?  Either I missed it or it was deleted.

On 9/24/2022 at 3:32 PM, Maleficent's Dad said:

She would only be on board if she could bring her ukulele and/or guitar with her.

You wish the policy was she can't bring it.  You do not want her to bring it.  I guess that means you do not want her to come since she will not come if she can't bring it.

Maybe she can bring it if she promises to only play it when she goes ashore in ports? 

Sometimes there are empty lounges during the day she may be able to play in so it would not disturb others. Or, a far away corner on one of the upper decks, but I can't help thinking that she really would prefer to have an audience.

I enjoy music, but unless I was on a Hawaii cruise, I would not enjoy hearing a ukulele. My husband is nicer than me though, and he says "more power to them".

Doesn't there come a time when certain threads should just die a natural death???  🥱🥱

Especially since the OP seems to have either had his question answered to his satisfaction or has lost interest.

Seems to me, this one seems to have run it's course 🙄🙄 ... YMMV though. 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Robkat said:

Doesn't there come a time when certain threads should just die a natural death???  🥱🥱

Especially since the OP seems to have either had his question answered to his satisfaction or has lost interest.

Seems to me, this one seems to have run it's course 🙄🙄 ... YMMV though. 

They only die when people like you and me stop posting to them. 🤣

• Haha 1