Crew masks 😷

10 minutes ago, tinkertwo said:

Agreed. 

We will be wearing them for our upcoming B2B and I don't care who stares or who comments.  Don't like it, don't wear one but don't comment on my choice.  Your thoughts don't matter to me.  Your feelings that it protects nothing doesn't matter to me.  If I offend you, walk away.  I'm always amazed at people wanting to tell others they are wrong when it doesn't affect them.  

There, I said it.  😉

I don't care if you wear a mask or not, it's none of my business.  What I care about is the publicly stated reason for wearing it.  But again, I can't expand on my remarks.  

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

I don't care if you wear a mask or not, it's none of my business.  What I care about is the publicly stated reason for wearing it.  But again, I can't expand on my remarks.  

See, this is what I often experience.  People say they don't care if I wear a mask or not yet need to comment on the fact I choose to wear a mask.  I never mentioned the publicly stated reason for wearing a mask.  I mentioned I was going to wear a mask and don't care what others think even though some feel the need to mention my choices.  

ETA-this is not directed at you specifically.  It is directed at those who feel they need to mention my choices.

Edited by tinkertwo

44 minutes ago, tinkertwo said:

Agreed. 

We will be wearing them for our upcoming B2B and I don't care who stares or who comments.  Don't like it, don't wear one but don't comment on my choice.  Your thoughts don't matter to me.  Your feelings that it protects nothing doesn't matter to me.  If I offend you, walk away.  I'm always amazed at people wanting to tell others they are wrong when it doesn't affect them.  

You completely contradicted yourself.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, tinkertwo said:

See, this is what I often experience.  People say they don't care if I wear a mask or not yet need to comment on the fact I choose to wear a mask.  I never mentioned the publicly stated reason for wearing a mask.  I mentioned I was going to wear a mask and don't care what others think even though some feel the need to mention my choices.  

ETA-this is not directed at you specifically.  It is directed at those who feel they need to mention my choices.

When I see people wearing masks, I assume they have a reason for doing so.  Maybe they are sick, have immunity issues, or just feel better with a mask on.  It's really none of my business, but when people in masks need to communicate with me and I can't understand them, I'll let them know, and end the conversation.  If they have something really important to tell me, they can remove the mask, or miss out on that opportunity.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

Even She Who Must Be Obeyed who can hear a mouse fart has trouble. 

My hearing is really something.  I have a horrible time hearing/understanding the spoken word.  HOWEVER, back during the time we had regular light bulbs in our house lamps, you know, the tungsten filament type, the ones that get really really hot, in many cases I could tell when the light was going to blow.  I could hear the very high pitched vibration.  Sure enough, I'd get up, turn the light off, my wife would ask me what I was doing, I'd turn it on and it'd blow.  That answered my wife's question. She couldn't believe it, to be honest, neither could I.  I'm still very sensitive to high pitches.  Often it isn't the sound, it's the feeling that almost drives me to nausea.  Also, old style commercial security systems used in businesses would drive me out of the business.  Again, I didn't hear it, I felt it.

21 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

You completely contradicted yourself.

I've always wonder about people that say they don't care about this that or the other thing, especially in a very aggressive manner, and publicly so state.  To me, that points to the opposite, they are sensitive to whatever it is.  JMHO

• Like 3

I would not demand to wear mask, but would let them to make own decision.

I already got COVID19 twice on cruises this year (and I usually have one cold/flu in 2-3 years!!!) , but for me it is easy as I do not have to work on cruise or can work from home on return.

1 hour ago, ace2542 said:

In the words of the DJ on Cunard Queen Mary 2 "so as not to shut down the entertainment on the ship" His words not mine.

Because masked crew aren't catching it?  LOL we all know that is not true.

I think it should be up to each crew member.  

Edited by BND

9 hours ago, Ret MP said:

I'm still very sensitive to high pitches.  Often it isn't the sound, it's the feeling that almost drives me to nausea.  Also, old style commercial security systems used in businesses would drive me out of the business.  Again, I didn't hear it, I felt it.

Maybe you're part dolphin, and you're hearing/feeling sonic waves.... do you ever get the sudden urge to leap out of the ocean when swimming, or to balance a ball on your nose while an audience applauds?

• Haha 3

On 9/25/2022 at 7:02 PM, coffeebean said:

I get it. Everyone reads lips to process language. It doesn't matter if your hearing is normal or impaired, everyone looks at the lips of the person we are speaking with. It is much easier to have a discussion with a person when you can see their lips.

Until Covid and Masking started my Mother and I didn't realize how bad her hearing was. Mask was only part the problem as she'd been also reading lips to help. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, tinkertwo said:

Agreed. 

There, I said it.  😉

The only cruise I caught Covid on was my unmasked one. I let my guard down, regretfully. Enjoy your B2B.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, tinkertwo said:

If I see anyone wearing a mask at this point in time, I assume they are immunocompromised. That is prudent for them to mask. One other reason for masking would be the person is just getting over Covid and at that point in their recovery that the CDC recommends wearing a mask when in public for those five days after being quarantined.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BND said:

Because masked crew aren't catching it?  LOL we all know that is not true.

I think it should be up to each crew member.  

But if they are following close contact isolation requirements wouldn't it knock out the entertainment on any ship? If the cruise director gets it then by extension the show team and the cruise directors staff are all out of the game for at least one cruise aren't they?

3 hours ago, little britain said:

Capt Rick said yesterday in the C&A meeting he was very happy with the removal of masks; 
and he’s in charge round here!  If it’s good enough for him …

And if another Captain decides crew will continue to wear masks on his/her ship that's OK with me too.

The University I teach at continues to have a masking policy. It is one of a very few that continue to require everyone to wear masks inside the buildings.  Do I like the policy? It frankly doesn't matter because it's not my call. The only real issue I have is I don't wear my hearing aids in class because those loop masks and my behind-the-ear hearing aids don't work together very well. The loops and the hearing aid have to share the same section of my ear.  I almost lost one of then a couple of times last winter when I took my mask off after I went outside. And looking for a small hearing aid in the snow was not my favorite wintertime activity. Looking for Maple Syrup Taffy in the snow is definitely more fulfilling!  😋

Maple Syrup + Snow = Canadian Maple Taffy - YouTube

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ace2542 said:

But if they are following close contact isolation requirements wouldn't it knock out the entertainment on any ship? If the cruise director gets it then by extension the show team and the cruise directors staff are all out of the game for at least one cruise aren't they?

You missed the point by a long shot.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BND said:

You missed the point by a long shot.

But the entire point of it at least from Cunard prospective is to protect the entertainment operation as a whole or so I have been told and they see no end in sight to mask wearing. They cancelled a QM2 cruise because the entertainment team came down with it and they saw no point to conducting an entertainmentless T/A crossing. Perhaps Royal is not pursuing the same objectives? Strangely the westbound QM2 T/A masks where required yet the previous fijords, short france and eastbound T/A they where not despite nearly all the passenger from those sailings leavings before the westbound T/A.

3 hours ago, DirtyDawg said:

The only real issue I have is I don't wear my hearing aids in class because those loop masks and my behind-the-ear hearing aids don't work together very well. The loops and the hearing aid have to share the same section of my ear.

Dawg, have you tried using one of the "straps" behind your head to hold the mask loops, instead of hooking the loops on your ears?  Then you'd be able to hear during class.

They come in all different shapes and sizes.  

On 9/25/2022 at 6:57 PM, Ret MP said:

LOL, I have no in-laws left.  So, now I"M THE in-law.  I make the best of it too.

No Costco here.  But, my major problem is Tinnitus, bad, and other things that I don't understand and have been told that aides won't help.  

I wear hearing aids because of tinnitus, they help reduce the ringing greatly

• Like 1

On 9/25/2022 at 9:22 PM, ReneeFLL said:

No, because vaccinated and boosted doesn’t stop someone from getting covid. 

On 9/25/2022 at 9:25 PM, Ret MP said:

SMH

BTW, that SMH, was intended to agree with you @ReneeFLL.  Can't go into more detail.

19 hours ago, brillohead said:

Maybe you're part dolphin, and you're hearing/feeling sonic waves.... do you ever get the sudden urge to leap out of the ocean when swimming, or to balance a ball on your nose while an audience applauds?

No, I'm not a dolphin, I think.  I don't like Mackerel!  

• Haha 2