Safety of cell phone by pool

Hi, 

First time on RCCL. What do you do with cell phone while swimming? Do things disappear while on chair ? Also if you don't get beverage package can you get ice water anytime you want it? Please be kind in your responses. TIA

I never worried about leaving my phone, glasses, shoes, etc. on a chair by the pool - there are cameras and security everywhere. I just leave it under my towel or in my bag.

Getting ice water without a drink package is as easy as asking for it. You can get a glass at any bar, and there are various dispensers around the ship as well (exact locations very by ship).

• Like 4

cell phone or nice sunglasses will disappear in a flash ...... if you MUST bring phone to the pool consider 61TyldWJEWL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

pack of four on amazon $12 ..... it works, I used for a trip to discovery cove and shot snorkeling video for an hour . . .

smartlle Waterproof Phone Pouch

ice water? hint, bring a water bottle - on Royal IME there's been plenty of places to fill 'er up.

• Like 1

I carry a small backpack with sunscreen, cell phone, brush, book and glasses to the pool.   Never had a problem.  I wouldn't recommend just leaving a phone sit on lounger out in the open.

Getting a glass of ice water is easy, waiters can bring to you or get yourself at any bar, no problem.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Capt_BJ said:

cell phone or nice sunglasses will disappear in a flash ...... if you MUST bring phone to the pool consider 

Not my experience at all - but I seldom am on the regular pool deck. I prefer the Solarium.

I never leave my cell phone out mostly because a phone in the sun can quickly overheat to the point it shuts down or slows down.  Crimes of opportunity will happen on ship so that is another reason not to leave a phone out. 

• Like 3

I'm with Never Been Here:  My phone's almost always in the stateroom. 

BUT I do take my Kindle to the pool.  Do I worry about it?  Eh, just a little.  As someone said above, crimes of opportunity.  I carry a small pool tote, which holds my Sea Pass, sunscreen, and a few other things I like to have by the pool.  If I leave my Kindle to go to the rest room or take a dip in the pool, I usually wrap it up in my cover-up (which I fold /roll small and tuck into the tote ... or place it under the towel.  

Yes, you can get ice water from the pool bar, but that usually requires a short wait.  I tend to walk to the Windjammer (which is on the same deck, not a lengthy walk, and often a welcome stretch) to bring back an ice water.  They have rows of cups just waiting for you.  Combined with a rest room trip, you can be back to your chair in less than 10 minutes.  Note that you must wear shoes and a cover-up to enter Windjammer -- they are serious about that.

Edited by Mum2Mercury

This sort of thing is very rare.  Too many security cameras and too many witnesses.  I don't recommend leaving it sit out because stupid people do exist but if you leave a small bag on your chair with contents, the likelihood of anything happening is extremely low.  

In the past, my phone never came out of the safe on sea days.  Unfortunately, with the new app, things have changed.  

49 minutes ago, twangster said:

I never leave my cell phone out mostly because a phone in the sun can quickly overheat to the point it shuts down or slows down.  Crimes of opportunity will happen on ship so that is another reason not to leave a phone out. 

I always put it under a towel or in my little beach bag, to avoid the direct sunlight.

Just a recent experience.   On Allure sail in August, I was in my cabin and was looking for my phone.  Looked everywhere and thought that in the confusion of going thru security, I may have left my phone while it was scanned.  Went to CS and they called security to no avail.  Left my name and cabin # in case it was reported to the lost and found.

Happened to think that maybe I left it on my chair by the pool.  Went to the towel kiosk and no such luck.  Decided to go to my lounger and see if any luck.  Lo and behold, the phone were there.  Took a deep breath of relief.  However, my phone from the sun and heat needed to be in cool area for some 20 minutes before I could use it.  Amazing, that there were no Pax's by the pool as it was late in the afternoon.

• Like 2

We usually leave ours covered by a towel and a bag. Never a problem yet. The chance of theft on a Royal ship is low but never zero so be mindful. Now on a Carnival ship I bring nothing but my room key on a lanyard around my neck and both eyes open. 

Found a little travel safe that is just big enough for our 2cell phones ,small wallet that holds our cash(for tips)and,sea pass cards. It has a cable long enough to hook around our lounge chairs and then lock with a combination lock. It’s also great at the beaches ! Love it !

Wife left her cell phone by a pool lounger after we were watching a NFL game on pool screen. Discovered it missing the next morning and it was turned into guest services thankfully.  Hate the need to use an app to do things currently. Next time we will use a cheap Amazon tablet or a retired phone and use that. Locking our phones in the safe like we used to.

3 hours ago, coaster said:

Wife left her cell phone by a pool lounger after we were watching a NFL game on pool screen. Discovered it missing the next morning and it was turned into guest services thankfully.  Hate the need to use an app to do things currently. Next time we will use a cheap Amazon tablet or a retired phone and use that. Locking our phones in the safe like we used to.

Retired phone. Oh, I like that idea! 

• Like 1

On 10/1/2022 at 12:46 PM, kibutzer said:

Hi, 

First time on RCCL. What do you do with cell phone while swimming? Do things disappear while on chair ? Also if you don't get beverage package can you get ice water anytime you want it? Please be kind in your responses. TIA

What cruise lines have you sailed?  Royal is no more or less secure than any other cruise lines that I have sailed on these matters.   Using reasonable precautions mentioned earlier should work on any major cruise line.

Well, I never leave anything of value just sitting on my chair when  l leave.  That includes my smartphone, or my overpriced beverage. 

Smart phones are not much use for someone else since they are locked if you try to open it too many times, and the owner can also lock it, and even erase it.  I personally think the adult beverage is worth more money to steal. 

• Like 1

On 10/1/2022 at 3:28 PM, Aquahound said:

This sort of thing is very rare.  Too many security cameras and too many witnesses.  I don't recommend leaving it sit out because stupid people do exist but if you leave a small bag on your chair with contents, the likelihood of anything happening is extremely low.  

I don't think adults would steal your phone.  First because I strongly suspect adult cruisers have a phone of their own and genuinely don't want yours (I personally don't enjoy getting a new phone /having to set everything up the way I like).  Second because they know many of those phones can be traced. 

I would be a little afraid of kids taking a phone.  Someone else said, crime of opportunity.  

On 10/1/2022 at 9:46 PM, CanHardlyWait4NextYear said:

I can't go with that logic. Some of the biggest crooks are those with the most money to spend. 😁

True, and if we were talking about a piece of jewelry or even a pair of nice sunglasses, I'd agree -- but phones are not particularly usable by someone else.  You've gotta have a password and the right charger.  I'll say again:  I suspect only a kid, who isn't thinking it through, would steal a phone.

I promise, if you see me with your phone in my hand, I'm carrying it to the Towel Station or Lifeguard Station to turn it in as a lost item.  

On 10/1/2022 at 10:35 PM, ARandomTraveler said:

This is what I use at the beach. Could also be used by the pool. It has a built-in cable and padlock. 

https://www.kyssbag.com/product-page/pre-order-compact-kyss-bag-ii

I really want one of those, but I already have nice beach bags and backpacks, which I like and don't want to replace. 

I wish they'd make a small flat bag -- like a bank bag meant for money -- with this kind of protection.  It'd be enough for phones, cash, credit cards and passports.  We could put it INTO our existing backpacks /twist the security chain out the zipper-hole.  Does anyone know of such a product?  I've seen plenty of small, flat bags, but not small, flat bags that have a security chain AND are slash-proof.  

1 hour ago, Joseph2017China said:

Well, I never leave anything of value just sitting on my chair when  l leave.  That includes my smartphone, or my overpriced beverage.

I'm more concerned with my beverage (overpriced or ice water, all the same) when I'm by the pool.  Being an all-girl mom, I lectured my kiddos strongly on discarding any drink that'd been out of their sight, even for a moment.  

I kinda like the idea of using a retired phone for the Royal App, but technology isn't my strong point -- HOW do you do this?  You can download an app on a phone that no longer has service?  

On 10/2/2022 at 1:36 AM, CanHardlyWait4NextYear said:

Retired phone. Oh, I like that idea! 

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 1