Cabin Door Decorations

shipshape sam

1 hour ago, USN59-79 said:

I usually print out about a 12 inch Seahawks symbol to put on our door.  It has two purposes:  1.  Helps us find our cabin when walking down a long corridor.  2.  Lets others know that a Seahawk fan resides here.

Like idea of helping ID your cabin.  I have thought that would be a side benefit.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, regnig said:

Does anyone know for sure about the doors on the Rotterdam... are they magnetic or not? 

Probably not - My experience was on NS and Koningsdam but I would bet the Rotterdam is the same.   We were able to stick a magnet on top of the door on the jamb.

6 hours ago, mightycruisequeen said:

It's funny that something as seemingly innocent as door decorations on a cruise ship could possibly become controversial.  Gotta love this board!

because many of us are way too familiar with the give an inch and they take a mile attitude of fellow cruisers....i really don't get the help me find my room part...they do have numbers on all the doors along the hallways ....bigger worry is how long til up go political or religious stuff?  how long til, people put reserved signs on lido tables or pool chairs?  and then who gets to decide what crosses the line and what does not....keep it simple...no  decorations or signs in public areas period.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dockman said:

because many of us are way too familiar with the give an inch and they take a mile attitude of fellow cruisers....i really don't get the help me find my room part...they do have numbers on all the doors along the hallways ....bigger worry is how long til up go political or religious stuff?  how long til, people put reserved signs on lido tables or pool chairs?  and then who gets to decide what crosses the line and what does not....keep it simple...no  decorations or signs in public areas period.

Just my personal opinion, and everyone else has the right to their own opinions too, but I get a smile out of seeing some of the tastefully done door decorations.  Cruises exist for people to have fun and relaxation.  As long as a decoration is small and not getting in my way, I'm past it in a couple seconds so I'm OK with it.  If I want to see sterile hallways, I can go back to work.

If the decorations start becoming political or overly religious, then HAL can simply prohibit them overall as some other lines have done.  The lines that have seem to have banned them more from a safety standpoint---people were wrapping their entire doors in wrapping paper.   

• Like 6

59 minutes ago, AFNavigator said:

Just my personal opinion, and everyone else has the right to their own opinions too, but I get a smile out of seeing some of the tastefully done door decorations.  Cruises exist for people to have fun and relaxation.  As long as a decoration is small and not getting in my way, I'm past it in a couple seconds so I'm OK with it.  If I want to see sterile hallways, I can go back to work.

If the decorations start becoming political or overly religious, then HAL can simply prohibit them overall as some other lines have done.  The lines that have seem to have banned them more from a safety standpoint---people were wrapping their entire doors in wrapping paper.   

like i said..give them an inch and they want a mile....wrapping entire doors etc....just nip it in the bud as barney fife would say

• Like 2

9 hours ago, dockman said:

Never, on any cruise, have I ever had a "bigger worry" (or any kind of worry) about people putting political or religious stuff on their cabin door.  Seriously, it's possible to just walk right past that stuff with your vacation fully intact. 

• Like 10

11 hours ago, mightycruisequeen said:

Never, on any cruise, have I ever had a "bigger worry" (or any kind of worry) about people putting political or religious stuff on their cabin door.  Seriously, it's possible to just walk right past that stuff with your vacation fully intact. 

and it is equally possible to just not put that stuff on your door with your vacation fully intact.....as said  who draws the line on what is allowed and where? i for one have zero desire to see hallways "decorated"  by passengers....and do not put the stewards in the position of trying to enforce some vague rules....there are many rules on cruise ships designed to enhance the experience for all....keep the rules simple 

• Like 2

On 10/13/2022 at 3:45 PM, mightycruisequeen said:

It's funny that something as seemingly innocent as door decorations on a cruise ship could possibly become controversial.  Gotta love this board!

I know right? Seriously, unless it is impeding your ability to travel down the hall and that is obviously a hazard, the random Happy Birthday/Anniversary/whatever sign or magnet or card shouldn't really bother a grown person enough to be insulting and sarcastic. Now if you are 12.. I understand but it's also probably past your bedtime. 

Edited by fatcat04
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

On 10/13/2022 at 12:59 PM, shipshape sam said:

Been on 35 cruises and never have put a door decoration on.  Was considering doing it and plan to still do something even without approval of some posters for our 45th anniversary.  As to why do people do it? They are having some fun. May not be your type of fun, but I rarely see one that does not have something nice/humorous on it.  I like the ones with a brief saying and their names.  I think if it bothered me so much, I might take another route.  I can't believe anyone it intending to target anyone to irritate them.

This last cruise I saw a very prettily decorated thin wooden oval sign on a cabin door. It must have been a couple who cruises quite a bit and is retired. It was very sweet. You celebrate your anniversary. 45 years together nowadays is really rare. 

• Like 4

On 10/14/2022 at 10:36 PM, fatcat04 said:

This last cruise I saw a very prettily decorated thin wooden oval sign on a cabin door. It must have been a couple who cruises quite a bit and is retired. It was very sweet. You celebrate your anniversary. 45 years together nowadays is really rare. 

Will be celebrating for sure.  🙂

• 4 months later...

We're going to be on the Volendam, in July, for our 25th anniversary and I am wanting to decorate our door too. I am thinking of doing something simple with our names for all week, and something a little more special for our big day. I haven't gotten a straight answer about the door being metal or not yet so am taking some command hooks just in case. I don't want to cause a scene with anything too showy but I am proud to be celebrating 25 yrs with my husband and have no problem letting others know! I say have fun, and decorate away 😊  As long as it lays flat to the door, or wall, and isn't a fire hazard you should be good to go.

• Like 1

A couple of times I have talked to a passenger that is ( or their SO) in the early stages of dementia and they mentioned that having a decoration on their door has saved them from panicking when looking for their room.  

A picture of their spouse , grandchildren, etc, can help a lot while cabin  #xxxx means nothing to them.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Gunther1 said:

A couple of times I have talked to a passenger that is ( or their SO) in the early stages of dementia and they mentioned that having a decoration on their door has saved them from panicking when looking for their room.  

A picture of their spouse , grandchildren, etc, can help a lot while cabin  #xxxx means nothing to them.

We cruise with our teenage Developmentally delayed Autistic son. We place a flat magnet with our last name on it to help him find the right room. Without that it is terribly hard for him to verify if he has the right room. Is sad in my mind that a device to assist with a handicap or illness is considered something tacky.

• Like 3

To add to this discussion, do people take their door decorations home with them, or dump them in the trash for the ship to dispose?

Considering how many past amenities we used to get - individual sized portions - yogurt, cereal, bathroom supplies, jams, condiments etc - but were eliminated in the name of the new green "zero waste" demands placed on cruise ships. 

So hopefully, passengers who are into door decorations, do pack them out when they leave the ship.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

To add to this discussion, do people take their door decorations home with them, or dump them in the trash for the ship to dispose?

Considering how many past amenities we used to get - individual sized portions - yogurt, cereal, bathroom supplies, jams, condiments etc - but were eliminated in the name of the new green "zero waste" demands placed on cruise ships. 

So hopefully, passengers who are into door decorations, do pack them out when they leave the ship.

We only use the one magnet 5”x8” and use it every cruise we take our son on. Zero Waste.

• Like 5

On 10/11/2022 at 6:45 PM, shipshape sam said:

Thinking of decorating our cabin door and need to know if doors are metal (magnetic) or not.  Any help is appreciated.

You can buy great large stickers to put on your door or walls at Dollar Tree. Have used them for years and they peel off very easily. Only $1.25 for a large sheet. We also place them in an out of the way spot near the elevator to help us know which side of the ship we are on. Very low down near the carpeting. Doesn't bother anyone and NCL has always left them on. 

We always decorate our door.  And yes, it does help when you travel with someone who has memory problems.  On our next cruise I promise I will put something up that is terribly tacky....but not political.

And definitely not religious....😉

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Currently on Koningsdam. 35 days. There are quite a few CC members with cute little signs, notes, pictures of their pets on their doors.

You walk by in 5 seconds. Let them have fun. 

We are an inch from 5 star and so far have never seen a political sign on anyone's door.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, marshhawk said:

We always decorate our door.  And yes, it does help when you travel with someone who has memory problems.  On our next cruise I promise I will put something up that is terribly tacky....but not political.

And definitely not religious....😉

Why say "definitely not religious"? There are beautiful crosses and Stars of David on cabin doors.. We had a Christmas manger scene on our door on Rotterdam Dec/Jan..

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I always put a bright ribbon bow - something like you use for a gaudy Christmas gift, on our door or next to it - helps so much when our cabin is in the middle a loooong row of identical doors. Also I can just glance down the hall to be sure I'm in the correct hallway and get my bearings.  ALSO, it's happy and festive, which is what the cruise is all about.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/12/2022 at 11:01 PM, tunafish said:

Well said. Why do people need to be so in your face with those decorations? Hang them inside your room, this is common space, respect it. For me it feels similar to people brining bluetooth speakers to the pool or loudspeakers to the beach and play their music. Just so unnecessary
Such actions seem innocent on the surface but they are extremely egocentric if you think about it. Fortunately, cruising is routine nowadays, so those decorations do not bother me more that a graffiti on a random façade.  

I was told the reason people decorate their doors is because it's easier to find your room, from the other 1000's of rooms, when you feel a bit tipsy in the evening, but hey to each their own.  I'll be decorating mine so hope no one gets offended by our Aussie sarcasm.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VivaceOne said:

I was told the reason people decorate their doors is because it's easier to find your room, from the other 1000's of rooms, when you feel a bit tipsy in the evening, but hey to each their own.  I'll be decorating mine so hope no one gets offended by our Aussie sarcasm.

How do you manage in hotels? Or do you only drink on ships?  I just can't even imagine carrying more crap around the world in order to do decorating! I get the thing for handicapped passengers - but otherwise it seems like peple have far to much luggage space . Plus you could be better using that time in the bar! 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, lissie said:

How do you manage in hotels? Or do you only drink on ships?  I just can't even imagine carrying more crap around the world in order to do decorating! I get the thing for handicapped passengers - but otherwise it seems like peple have far to much luggage space . Plus you could be better using that time in the bar! 

A sheet of dollar tree stickers takes up almost no space at all at the bottom of the suitcase, and if I need that extra minute at the bar that it takes to slap them on my door  I might have bigger problems!

• Like 3