Can you still order 2 items at once in MDR?

oyme

I stricly eat low calorie, nutrient dense foods for 6 or 7 months before a cruise in order to lose 10 pounds. That is how I can eat alot on a cruise and still keep my bmi in a respectable range.[ this cruise a higher bmi than ussual as I was recently diagnosed with hypothyroid and cancer meds made me gain weight, mostly fluids] I have a strong feeling that I will still find more than enough incredible food to eat, enough that I will still gain some of that weight back. This has been one of my every other year ritualfor as long as I have been cruising. It hasn't caused negative repercussions as far as I can see. The median age of death of a "high functioning" [hate that term] Autistic is less than 37  years old and I have made it to 70. I have been fighting diseases of old age since I was less than 30 years old, but as my doctor says I "take a licking but still keep ticking." 

Back to everyone's grousing. I believe I will sill find enough to eat to gain weight during this cruise and am sure that you all will too if you choose.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

And you can order appetizer portions of entrees, unless I read that incorrectly.  I think that's a good thing!

You can order appetizer portions of pasta entrees, but not, AFAIK, the other regular entrees.  Although they might try to accommodate you if you ask.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Pellaz said:

You can order appetizer portions of pasta entrees, but not, AFAIK, the other regular entrees.  Although they might try to accommodate you if you ask.  

From the letter that came out 11/2 -  "And remember, you can always ask for a half-portion if something looks too enticing to pass up."

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, Schoifmom said:

From the letter that came out 11/2 -  "And remember, you can always ask for a half-portion if something looks too enticing to pass up."

Interesting. I wonder how this will work in practice. Hopefully, someone will soon report back.  

"I'd like 5 appetizer/ half size portions of the lobster, please. "

• Haha 7

16 hours ago, Schoifmom said:

WELL, then!   "I'd like two additional half-portions of prime-rib, please!"   😄  

• Haha 5

On 11/11/2022 at 12:34 PM, PrincessArlena'sDad said:

Interesting. I wonder how this will work in practice. Hopefully, someone will soon report back.  

"I'd like 5 appetizer/ half size portions of the lobster, please. "

5 half size portions equals 2.5 regular size portions.  So, since two are included, we will still have to charge you the $5.00 cover charge for the extra half size portion...we could give you a half size piece of prime rib so you'd have a little turf to go with your surf.

• Haha 1

On 10/22/2022 at 10:20 AM, DallasGuy75219 said:

For now, at least.  Expect a surcharge for multiple entrees (like at the steakhouse) at some point if things continue in their current direction.

i remember a email that said anything more then 2 entrees will be charged at 5.00 per     talking about cutting down food wastes 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, sunonfire said:

Very interesting! Thanks for posting! 👍

I read the full article PLUS the Royal Caribbean blog. Many, many comments were almost word for word on what we've read here on the Carnival forum. 

On 11/10/2022 at 6:32 AM, ninjacat123 said:

And you can order appetizer portions of entrees, unless I read that incorrectly.  I think that's a good thing!

Interesting, I asked on a cruise once and was told No but that might have been on princess.

On 11/15/2022 at 6:32 PM, hillbillycruisers said:

I just returned from the Vista....one night I ordered a regular size entre and a half size of a different entre. They brought both full size, and the waiter's explanation was that it was a smaller portion to begin with and they figured half would be too small. 

That's good to know, I eat like a bird but I'm also indecisive so 2 smaller portions would be better than 1 large.

• Like 1

On 11/15/2022 at 2:19 PM, sunonfire said:

I posted the article because sometimes Carnival is accused of cutting just about everything but in fairness. —-  so are the other cruise lines.

I'm more Okay with Carnival cutting things than one of the more expensive lines, for sure.

Per the menu on the Panorama the 5 dollar charge is there on the menu. I can tell everyone that the hallways are much cleaner now that there is a charge for room service. Way less trays of wasted food in the halls now, which is quite refreshing! 

• Like 4

On 11/15/2022 at 8:32 PM, hillbillycruisers said:

I just returned from the Vista....one night I ordered a regular size entre and a half size of a different entre. They brought both full size, and the waiter's explanation was that it was a smaller portion to begin with and they figured half would be too small. 

That...and also, they're working so fast down in the galley that's it's simply easier to plate and send out full portions than bother with a half-portion...and then there's a lonely other-half of a portion waiting for a chance to transit up to the dining-room and be a star. 

On the Horizon last October my friend and I ordered the pasta item one night, me as an entrée and him as an appetizer.  The only difference we saw was that his plate was smaller.  The portions were the same size and his might even have been bigger.  (Or it looked bigger on a smaller plate or dish. 🙂 )  

• Haha 1

Not quite on topic, but there have been times when the entree did not interest me, so I have ordered and enjoyed 3 appetizers.  Also, several times the cold fruity soups (which I had never experienced before cruising) have been so delish that I have had it as an appetizer and then for dessert.   In addition to the melting chocolate cake, the chocolate panna cotta is not to be missed.  

Then, recently here on CC, I read that I can ask for a smaller portion entree - who knew!?!?  Love this because sometimes I want to try a vegetarian option, too.

27 minutes ago, DPTexas said:

Not quite on topic, but there have been times when the entree did not interest me, so I have ordered and enjoyed 3 appetizers.  Also, several times the cold fruity soups (which I had never experienced before cruising) have been so delish that I have had it as an appetizer and then for dessert.   In addition to the melting chocolate cake, the chocolate panna cotta is not to be missed.  

Then, recently here on CC, I read that I can ask for a smaller portion entree - who knew!?!?  Love this because sometimes I want to try a vegetarian option, too.

With 20+ cruises (eighteen of them on Carnival) I, too, was delighted to learn that in the NDR one could request 'an half portion' of an entree. On several past cruises, I'd been tempted to ask about it, but didn't want others to roll their eyes, thinking, 'WOW !!! What a GLUTONOUS p-i-g !!.' I've always noticed foods on the menu that I've always wanted to try: i.e. vegan Indian, which isn't common around here. So, come the middle of January IF this dish is offered in the MDR I'll ask the waiter IF I could try a half, just too see what it's like. (IF I'm not too full, that is). :))

Mac 

• Like 1

On 10/21/2022 at 3:49 PM, Crusin Karen said:

This is kind of funny because I LOVE CCL's calamari.  They serve it on night 1 and that's when I go to the Steakhouse (not for the steak, but for the free wine lol) at 6pm.  Since YTD opens at 5:30 I was thinking of ordering calamari alone then going to steakhouse but was afraid it would ruin my appetite. 🤨

I thought they posted steakhouse no longer offering free wine first night due to cutbacks.  🤷‍♀️