Cancelled my bid to upgrade to Yacht Club. Is it going downhill?

Stockjock

We haven't done Yacht Club, but I've considered it.  We received an offer to upgrade from a veranda to YC, which would have cost us about $2,400 USD extra if the bid was accepted.  I left the bid in place for about a month and we are about 60 days out from the sailing.

But then, I started reading some negative comments.  As I mentioned elsewhere, MSC gave YouTube cruise vloggers parodeejay a complementary upgrade from Bella veranda to Yacht Club, in what I believe was an effort to favorably influence them.  But the food and experience in their videos didn't seem amazing.  The breakfasts were very similar to what I could get in the MDR, albeit with fancier jellies and jams.  Dinners were somewhat better than the MDR, but not by a lot from what I could gather.  As I also mentioned elsewhere, it seemed like they were trying to save money by offering cheap wines on the YC dinner menu.  I paused the video when they showed the menu, and the 4-5 wines listed can be had for a retail price of around $10 USD per bottle.

Then, I read a couple of the most recent CruiseCritic reviews on the ship that I just got off of (Grandiosa).  Here are a couple of quotes...

"This was our 3rd time on MSC, in a Yacht Club standard cabin with balcony. 

We were expecting the same good feeling after our cruise but felt let down by the constant lack of organization of the whole cruise.

The problem is that the staff had not been trained to do their job, giving out bad information, and not admitting that problems had occurred. There is also an issue with the lack of attention that is no longer present in the Yacht Club, by the concierge desk, who seemed to be frustrated with their job...

Food was just very average in the Yacht Club restaurant, but serving staff were good. 

We looked forward to leaving the cruise, as MSC has lowered their standards, compared to our previous cruises, which is very unfortunate."

and...

"The YC food was the biggest disappointment. Bland, no flavor, cold and undercooked. Sent food back numerous times. Pork chops were undercooked, Matre’ D could didn’t care. This was a consistent problem, obviously with the cooking staff, but the blame was placed on the wait staff. For gluten free the menu was poor and same dessert each night. The director of the YC listened to concerns and addressed."

If I'm going to spend an extra $2,400 USD, I want to be pampered and damned near dazzled.  It didn't sound as if that's what is going on in the Yacht Club.  It seems as though perhaps YC has gone downhill, based on much of what I heard and read.  So I pulled my bid, although I could re-bid if I change my mind.

What do you think?  Has Yacht Club gone downhill?  Does it still represent a reasonable value for the product delivered, or not so much?

Edited by Stockjock

Quick visual

we usually book Larger suite when we cruise with MSC.

First pic is Voyager Club Diamond Gift from YC cruise last November.

Second pic is gift from last week. YC  2 room Executive Suite

MSC is cutting back.

704C17E8-D096-4C3B-885D-D27E0ACF999B.jpeg

126296E4-0C53-4A2C-ACDB-3C9C0F81AA2A.jpeg

Edited by phissy
  • Haha 4

Stockjock, How can you knock something you’ve never tried?  Everyone’s opinion is personal to them. We love the YC and have never had an issue with it. Service has always been top notch and we always enjoyed each and every cruise continuing by having a few more booked all in the YC.

All you do is state how “I work for one of the better-known Wall Street firms” (your quote) and possibly implying plenty of income and yet you complain over everything you know nothing about. It truly gets monotonous, possibly too for some others besides me since I don’t speak for them.  Just a question if you don’t mind, by your constant telling everyone of your high powered job (???) why do you complain about price?  I’m curious. I’ll probably not see your response as I have chosen to ignore your posts from now on. Why don’t you sail another line that you might be happier with?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I was surprised on Parodeejay’s video to see that loungers in the YC pool area didn’t have cushions. Maybe a Covid thing?? I do think the upgrade they got was due to booking a travel agent rate, not because they are YouTubers. 

• Like 1

We’ve only sailed YC once on our first MSC cruise on Seashore. We felt it was a great value for the money. We always sail In Suites mostly on NCL or Celebrity. I felt YC rivaled NCL’s Haven and even has them beat in some areas. Furthermore, YC also out does Celebrity in suite facilities. And both lines when it comes to cost. My last cruise on NCL was March 2020. We booked an haven Aft suite on Escape for 7 nights and paid $5600. We are in a Celebrity Royal suite on Solstice in March paying right at $7k. By comparison, our cruise on Seashore was $4400. Recent reviews of Celebrity revealed similar concerns about cheaper wines and cutbacks. I think it’s the nature of the beast as all cruise lines work to once again become profitable. Having said all that, only you can decide if it’s a good value for your money. 

• Like 2

Never forget about MSC's legendary inconsistency. 

One person's experience (pun intended) in the Yacht Club on one ship might be completely different than the same person's experience in the Yacht Club on another ship....or even the same ship.

What I suggest is to try it yourself and decide if the experience is worth it. 

If it is, that doesn't guarantee that the next one will be. 

If it isn't, that doesn't guarantee that the next one won't be. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, lovemycruisetoo said:

Stockjock, How can you knock something you’ve never tried?  Everyone’s opinion is personal to them. We love the YC and have never had an issue with it. Service has always been top notch and we always enjoyed each and every cruise continuing by having a few more booked all in the YC.

All you do is state how “I work for one of the better-known Wall Street firms” (your quote) and possibly implying plenty of income and yet you complain over everything you know nothing about. It truly gets monotonous, possibly too for some others besides me since I don’t speak for them.  Just a question if you don’t mind, by your constant telling everyone of your high powered job (???) why do you complain about price?  I’m curious. I’ll probably not see your response as I have chosen to ignore your posts from now on. Why don’t you sail another line that you might be happier with?

I too will be ignoring your posts.  I think you are extremely rude.

To ask whether YC has gone downhill is a legitimate question.  I backed it up with comments from the cruise that I just got off of. Those are not my comments, but remarks from others who just sailed in Yacht Club.  I'm further quantifying the concerns from what is shown in the video, the fact that they're serving $10 bottles of wine, the food presented in the YC restaurant, etc.  And of course, phissy just shared that the YC gift, which was previously 2 nice MSC hats, has now become a 5 cent ballpoint pen.  

All put together are reasonably suggestive that, perhaps, they have lowered the YC standards in different ways.  It certainly seems like a subject worth discussing.

Edited by Stockjock

Back in 2018 I got a pen as a voyagers club gift, and there were also a few bad reviews of the YC then.  I can't see any evidence of anything going downhill.

On the food and drink, the YC has never been about eating luxurious food (e.g. caviar, foie gras) and drinking expensive wines (e.g. open a $100 bottle) all day.  The menu, cooking, wine selection and service are a step up from the MDR, but we are not talking Michelin star quality here.

I cannot say if $2400 is worth it to upgrade, but that is about what I would aim to pay for a YIN cabin in shoulder or off-season.  If food and drink are the only or most important reasons to upgrade, I think you could get more bang for your buck eating in specialty restaurants and buying bottles.   

• Like 3

9 hours ago, mawvkysc said:

I was surprised on Parodeejay’s video to see that loungers in the YC pool area didn’t have cushions. Maybe a Covid thing?? I do think the upgrade they got was due to booking a travel agent rate, not because they are YouTubers. 

This totally depends on the ship. The Fantasia class ships do not have cushions on the YC loungers. They have the woven ‘rattan’ type. Perfectly fine. Sorry, I don’t know which ship was in the the referenced video.

Dennis

• Like 1

I don't think being in YC has any bearing on the diamond gift, you get the same gift as every other diamond on the ship. We did first diamond sailing in 2017 and have never had anything as nice as those caps, this year we got a lanyard.

The wine in YC that is included is the same wine that is available on the premium package anywhere else on the ship, more expensive wines are available for a cost. I think the food is nicer than MDR but it's not gourmet food that you would get in a Michelin starred restaurant. We enjoy it though.

To me, YC is good value for what you get but you've got to try it for yourself to decide if you think it's worth it.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Stockjock said:

To ask whether YC has gone downhill is a legitimate question.  I backed it up with comments from the cruise that I just got off of. Those are not my comments, but remarks from others who just sailed in Yacht Club.  I'm further quantifying the concerns from what is shown in the video, the fact that they're serving $10 bottles of wine, the food presented in the YC restaurant, etc.  And of course, phissy just shared that the YC gift, which was previously 2 nice MSC hats, has now become a 5 cent ballpoint pen.  

All put together are reasonably suggestive that, perhaps, they have lowered the YC standards in different ways.  It certainly seems like a subject worth discussing.

These are the Voyager Club gift, totally unrelated to YC. We had caps on a non YC sailing and pens on a YC sailing. It's totally pot luck.

We have had no issues with food or wine, or service on any YC sailing. I have had totally different opinions on a cruise from fellow passengers on the same sailing. And different times of year and itinerary will also have a bearing. I have very different opinions on an unfortunate summer sailing from Miami than I do all of our other cruises with MSC.

In YC you are paying for more than the food and wine, it's the environment and experience.

I'd say you really need to try it to define your own opinion.

Edited by CruisingFox27
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, mawvkysc said:

We were on the cruise with them. It was the Divina so there are no cushions on the loungers in the YC.  The YC was at 1/2 capacity (or less) and they were most likely upgraded precisely because they are you tubers.  

As a huge fan of the Divina YC and Parodeejay, I would say don't base anything going "downhill" from their YouTube series they did. A big part of the YC allure (at least to me) is the personalized service, and I did not feel like they captured that very well. Perhaps the staff requested to not be filmed, perhaps they were shy about being pampered, or it was just plain weird and awkward since it was a big unexpected free upgrade. I also think they go out of their way to be for the "every man" and some of their subscribers gave them grief about the upgrade and that "normal people can't afford it" (even though we know it can be affordable!) so that could have influenced what they did/showed. Dee did cry at the end of the series about how nice the people were, and that was understandable, but I don't know that the captured the essence of YC and what its like on a daily basis. They said they have another planned YC cruise, so it will be different to see if they change now that they've been through YC once and know what to expect (and they're paying for it!)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, blueskadoo said:

As a huge fan of the Divina YC and Parodeejay, I would say don't base anything going "downhill" from their YouTube series they did. A big part of the YC allure (at least to me) is the personalized service, and I did not feel like they captured that very well. Perhaps the staff requested to not be filmed, perhaps they were shy about being pampered, or it was just plain weird and awkward since it was a big unexpected free upgrade. I also think they go out of their way to be for the "every man" and some of their subscribers gave them grief about the upgrade and that "normal people can't afford it" (even though we know it can be affordable!) so that could have influenced what they did/showed. Dee did cry at the end of the series about how nice the people were, and that was understandable, but I don't know that the captured the essence of YC and what its like on a daily basis. They said they have another planned YC cruise, so it will be different to see if they change now that they've been through YC once and know what to expect (and they're paying for it!)

I think Parodeejay seem like nice and fun people and they do a good job overall.  But yes, I agree that they could have better captured the YC experience.  On their YouTube site, I asked them if they had to pay for YC, if they would have considered it a good value.  They did not answer the question.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@blueskadoo That was the exact same impression I got watching the Parodeejay Vlogs! I kept saying to myself, they're not utilizing the perks of YC. I just didn't see them show a lot of perks.  I also enjoy them because they really seem to appreciate everything that is offered and make the most of the ship. They make me tired they do so much. What I got from their videos is that MSC is working on adding more entertainment and variety, which is something some people have commented on.

From their Vlogs on other MSC sailings, they seemed almost as happy.  This brings me to my point that some people go into life looking for the good and they enjoy life. Others not so much and guess what, they just don't see the joy in things (I've seen that on a lot of MSC negative Vlogs).  I have a tendency to over-plan and almost obsess and have been watching Vlogs and reading a lot in preparation for a Divina cruise in January.  I'm realizing the more I do this, the more stressful my trips seem to get because I want things to be like the experiences I see through other peoples lenses.  I am not those people and what makes me and my family happy aren't necessarily the same things. People put too much weight in a world with too much information at our disposal.  What we lose in the process is finding joy in the little things. I see that here a lot too. A recent reference that someone would hate something and I thought to myself, if I'm floating in caribbean water and the sun is shining, it's a great day!

If I look back at my family's experience this past year on the Seaview, I feel like maybe it wasn't up to some of the stories I've heard. With that said, I think we all were a little blown away. We've been in Haven twice in the last few years and all loved YC more. Little details that made it better: Wi-fi on 2 devices per person, drink package and not worrying about bottled water, coffees, etc, access to the thermal spa (which was very much enjoyed), being able to have drinks delivered to our room, access to mini bar items (not completely necessary with a drink package, but enjoyed after returning from ports), having more personal experiences while dining and our family getting the same beautiful dining table every evening, priority on/off ship, quiet areas to lounge with beautiful views (haven had no views), higher quality towels.  This is just off the top of my head.  Not to mention just the relaxation and feeling that we were being taken care of - big for a Mom who planned and planned a family trip. Oh, and the concierge doubled our OBC because he knew what we were owed (I thought it was less) and it was an incredible bonus.  We actually rarely left the YC, but I am going to make it a little more priority on the next ship to explore.

Sorry this is lengthy. I think I have a similar mindset as you @Stockjock and I always am looking for a good deal. I used CC points flying and we stayed in a hostel in Naples the night before the cruise. When we initially chose the Haven, it was a reasonable cost with six of us in a 2-BR. Now, I've learned that paying more at times is just worth it. In January on the Divina, I was able to use the MyVegas 30%, so excited about that!

Oh, and when I saw Santa Margherita Pinot Grigio on the YC menu showed by Parodeejay, I was kind of excited. But, I'll drink boxed wine to save $$!

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, mnpurple said:

@blueskadoo That was the exact same impression I got watching the Parodeejay Vlogs! I kept saying to myself, they're not utilizing the perks of YC. I just didn't see them show a lot of perks.  I also enjoy them because they really seem to appreciate everything that is offered and make the most of the ship. They make me tired they do so much. What I got from their videos is that MSC is working on adding more entertainment and variety, which is something some people have commented on.

From their Vlogs on other MSC sailings, they seemed almost as happy.  This brings me to my point that some people go into life looking for the good and they enjoy life. Others not so much and guess what, they just don't see the joy in things (I've seen that on a lot of MSC negative Vlogs).  I have a tendency to over-plan and almost obsess and have been watching Vlogs and reading a lot in preparation for a Divina cruise in January.  I'm realizing the more I do this, the more stressful my trips seem to get because I want things to be like the experiences I see through other peoples lenses.  I am not those people and what makes me and my family happy aren't necessarily the same things. People put too much weight in a world with too much information at our disposal.  What we lose in the process is finding joy in the little things. I see that here a lot too. A recent reference that someone would hate something and I thought to myself, if I'm floating in caribbean water and the sun is shining, it's a great day!

If I look back at my family's experience this past year on the Seaview, I feel like maybe it wasn't up to some of the stories I've heard. With that said, I think we all were a little blown away. We've been in Haven twice in the last few years and all loved YC more. Little details that made it better: Wi-fi on 2 devices per person, drink package and not worrying about bottled water, coffees, etc, access to the thermal spa (which was very much enjoyed), being able to have drinks delivered to our room, access to mini bar items (not completely necessary with a drink package, but enjoyed after returning from ports), having more personal experiences while dining and our family getting the same beautiful dining table every evening, priority on/off ship, quiet areas to lounge with beautiful views (haven had no views), higher quality towels.  This is just off the top of my head.  Not to mention just the relaxation and feeling that we were being taken care of - big for a Mom who planned and planned a family trip. Oh, and the concierge doubled our OBC because he knew what we were owed (I thought it was less) and it was an incredible bonus.  We actually rarely left the YC, but I am going to make it a little more priority on the next ship to explore.

Sorry this is lengthy. I think I have a similar mindset as you @Stockjock and I always am looking for a good deal. I used CC points flying and we stayed in a hostel in Naples the night before the cruise. When we initially chose the Haven, it was a reasonable cost with six of us in a 2-BR. Now, I've learned that paying more at times is just worth it. In January on the Divina, I was able to use the MyVegas 30%, so excited about that!

Oh, and when I saw Santa Margherita Pinot Grigio on the YC menu showed by Parodeejay, I was kind of excited. But, I'll drink boxed wine to save $$!

One of the reasons I like MSC is that I consider them to be a good value.  Even though one fellow said I complain constantly, actually, I give them a lot of favorable remarks.  I think every one of my reviews of my 4-5 MSC cruises has been 4-5 stars, with positive comments vastly outweighing the negative.  Obviously, I wouldn't book MSC if I didn't like them.  And I do feel that positive change can come from constructive criticism.  I suspect that it already has.

I still haven't ruled out reinstating my YC bid.  But I do read the cruise critic reviews, starting with the most recent, and I've been reading a lot more criticisms than favorable remarks.  But of course, there certainly are favorable comments too.

But yes, while I am not "cheap", like you, I do appreciate good value for my money.  On my last cruise on Grandiosa about a month ago, I spent about $1,100 per person for 10 nights on an aft balcony with a slightly upgraded drink package (Easy Plus), wi-fi, a bit of OBC, a 20% VC discount (no longer offered) on a nearly new ship, and I don't think I could touch that price anywhere else.  While the price has gone up, I thought $71 per person for the speciality restaurant Trilogy package was also very reasonable.  

Although I also like Celebrity a lot, I can only imagine what all of that might have cost on that cruise line.  I'm guessing more than double, easily.  Of course, there are also things that Celebrity does better.  The food in the MDR is much, much better.  The service is also more polished, although I think MSC has made notable improvements in this area.

Edited by Stockjock

Because I've only been on the one sailing, I can't comment what may have changed or made the YC less desirable.  I read your posts as you were on your last cruise and based on your previous comment, maybe the value of YC isn't there for you. It seems you had a good base room/rate and with the additional upgrades, it was just what you needed.  And, if you get your VC status straightened out, you will add priority on/off and other privileges that come with YC.  My VC is messed up as well, but I really didn't care to bother with it being in YC and I personally don't want any "swag".  However, the discount I'll take!

One other thought as well, I would say that if your itinerary is port-heavy that makes a difference. I wanted to see as much of the European ports as possible, but then felt we didn't have as much time to enjoy perks of YC.  Seriously first world problems and aren't we all lucky to be in that kind of scenario and have the ability to travel!

• Like 2

@mnpurple If you're looking for DIvina vlogs, also check out Kyle Pallo. He and a friend did a pretty decent vlog of a short three night cruise, and they weren't in YC. He was positive and upbeat too. I love seeing Divina shown off...she's not the newest, she's not the biggest, but she's a wonderful ship! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mnpurple said:

Because I've only been on the one sailing, I can't comment what may have changed or made the YC less desirable.  I read your posts as you were on your last cruise and based on your previous comment, maybe the value of YC isn't there for you. It seems you had a good base room/rate and with the additional upgrades, it was just what you needed.  And, if you get your VC status straightened out, you will add priority on/off and other privileges that come with YC.  My VC is messed up as well, but I really didn't care to bother with it being in YC and I personally don't want any "swag".  However, the discount I'll take!

One other thought as well, I would say that if your itinerary is port-heavy that makes a difference. I wanted to see as much of the European ports as possible, but then felt we didn't have as much time to enjoy perks of YC.  Seriously first world problems and aren't we all lucky to be in that kind of scenario and have the ability to travel!

The Grandiosa cruise last month had 4 sea days out of 10, which might have been better for YC.  My upcoming December northern Europe cruise (brrrr) has 2 sea days out of 7.  Still some time to enjoy it, I suppose.

I am only 400 points from black or diamond or whatever they call it.  As mentioned elsewhere, after spending years trying to straighten out my GF's VC account, and finally doing it, bringing her from Select to Gold, they send an e-mail yesterday that they'd be deleting it within 24-48 hours to fix it.  Of course, it's already fixed, so I replied and said not to do that.  Hopefully, they got the message in time.  That's one area that I think MSC needs to straighten out.  Even the MSC customer service agents cannot communicate with the Voyager's Club department and that lag time of 1-2 weeks to respond creates problems.

4 minutes ago, blueskadoo said:

@mnpurple If you're looking for DIvina vlogs, also check out Kyle Pallo. He and a friend did a pretty decent vlog of a short three night cruise, and they weren't in YC. He was positive and upbeat too. I love seeing Divina shown off...she's not the newest, she's not the biggest, but she's a wonderful ship! 

We sailed on Divina when she was only about 3-4 years old, but we really loved that ship.

As someone who has all of my experience on MSC since the pandemic, I think I can speak from a recent viewpoint.  As you can see in my signature, I have sailed MSC Yacht Club five times.  My MSC cruise two weeks ago was in a regular Fantastica interior cabin.  I can tell you that there is no comparison between the two experiences. Yacht Club is like a completely different world than the regular cruises on MSC.  Having all the separate facilities, the escorted embarkation and disembarkation, the included drink and wifi packages, the unlimited access to the thermal spa, etc., etc. makes Yacht Club well worth the money IMHO.  That is the reason why I have five more Yacht Club cruises already booked in the next six months.

Edited by GA Dave
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, GA Dave said:

As someone who has all of my experience on MSC since the pandemic, I think I can speak from a recent viewpoint.  As you can see in my signature, I have sailed MSC Yacht Club five times.  My MSC cruise two weeks ago was in a regular Fantastica interior cabin.  I can tell you that there is no comparison between the two experiences. Yacht Club is like a completely different world than the regular cruises on MSC.  Having all the separate facilities, the escorted embarkation and disembarkation, the included drink and wifi packages, the unlimited access to the thermal spa, etc., etc. makes Yacht Club well worth the money IMHO.  That is the reason why I have five more Yacht Club cruises already booked in the next six months.

agreed.  You cannot beat the YC experience.  Ship within a ship.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, mawvkysc said:

This seems to vary by vessel.  When we were on the Divina (twice) there were no cushions on the YC loungers.  But just 2 weeks ago, on the Seashore, they had very thick cushions on the YC Loungers.

Hank