Last minute cancelation due to illnes

Mertonox

Really disappointed with P&O, I have a medical condition that arose out of the blue four days before we were due to sail. I have yet to recieve a positive diagnosis and still need further test to determin the condition, so it would not be covered by travel insurance. As P&Os policy is not to let you sale without insurance, I'm stumped!! I have spoken to P&O and am told that their policy is that I will not recieve a refund of any kind even on the shore excursions we had booked. No offer of future cruisecredit, nothing. We have sailed with P&O many times, this is our second this year with another booked for next May. I wish  they realised that loyalty counts bothways and this episode has left me wondering if I would book with P&O again.

27 minutes ago, Mertonox said:

Really disappointed with P&O, I have a medical condition that arose out of the blue four days before we were due to sail. I have yet to recieve a positive diagnosis and still need further test to determin the condition, so it would not be covered by travel insurance. As P&Os policy is not to let you sale without insurance, I'm stumped!! I have spoken to P&O and am told that their policy is that I will not recieve a refund of any kind even on the shore excursions we had booked. No offer of future cruisecredit, nothing. We have sailed with P&O many times, this is our second this year with another booked for next May. I wish  they realised that loyalty counts bothways and this episode has left me wondering if I would book with P&O again.

Really sorry to hear about your situation. You would have thought P&O would have the compassion to let you transfer the money to a future cruise. But sadly,  I’m not surprised they don’t. I hope things get sorted.

I have sympathy with your plight but I am not sure you are criticising the correct target. If you are deemed medically unfit to travel and have medical evidence to support this, your insurance policy will cover you (unless you have chosen to take out a single trip policy that will not start until the day you leave). That is not the fault of P&O who I believe advise taking out annual policies to cover such eventualities. 

All you need to do about your excursions is to go online and cancel them. The refund should be triggered by your cancellation. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, pete14 said:

your insurance policy will cover you (unless you have chosen to take out a single trip policy that will not start until the day you leave). That is not the fault of P&O who I believe advise taking out annual policies to cover such eventualities. 

Single trip policies cover cancellation from the point they are purchased, not just on the day the trip starts.

However many people unwisely don’t buy the single trip policy at the time of booking, but closer to the date of travel, so leaving themselves exposed to the risk of something happening between booking and buying the policy, whereas that obviously cannot happen with an annual policy that automatically renews.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, 9265359 said:

Single trip policies cover cancellation from the point they are purchased, not just on the day the trip starts.

However many people unwisely don’t buy the single trip policy at the time of booking, but closer to the date of travel, so leaving themselves exposed to the risk of something happening between booking and buying the policy, whereas that obviously cannot happen with an annual policy that automatically renews.

Sorry for misleading anybody, I assumed that a single trip policy only kicked in at the start of the trip. The second point is well made though and it beggars belief that some who buy such a policy leave it until a few days before they leave, thereby missing out on the extra cover an early purchase provides.

1 hour ago, Mertonox said:

I have spoken to P&O and am told that their policy is that I will not recieve a refund

Like everybody I sympathise with your predicament but I am at a loss to understand why you think P&O should refund you.

P&O are, most definitely, are not liable for your losses, that is why you take out insurance. Surely once the diagnosis and tests are complete they will be able to deal with your claim.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Mertonox said:

I don't see why it would not be covered by travel insurance?  A new medical condition could happen to any of us, that's what insurance is for?

• Like 2

From the information given, I am at a loss to understand why this situation is not covered by travel insurance.  Unless I am missing something, surely one ensures insurance is in place, either via an annual policy or by purchasing single trip insurance before paying the balance.  
It is extraordinarily unwise to leave a four figure sum uninsured, particularly as travel insurance is so simple to arrange

Perhaps the poster is confused?  I can well believe that receiving difficult medical news can knock one sideways.  
First action should be to call the insurance company, shouldn’t it?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mertonox said:

I also believe this to be an insurance problem rather than one for P&O.  If insurance had been taken out before the condition arose then an insurance company would normally cover that, though they may prefer to refund the cost, rather than take a risk you would be ok on the cruise and cover medical costs you may have then.

It is normally only if a condition had been pre existing prior to taking out the insurance policy that they refuse to cover it, but even any pre existing  condition can normally be covered if declared and paid for a an additoon to the policy.  Maybe worth re checking your policy regards whether you are covered for your new condition or not. 

If you had not taken out insurance when your cruise was booked, then it is hardly P&O's problem.

Edited by tring
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Angel57 said:

Really sorry to hear about your situation. You would have thought P&O would have the compassion to let you transfer the money to a future cruise. But sadly,  I’m not surprised they don’t. I hope things get sorted.

It makes one wonder if the P&O customer service agents actually work on a commission basis, their initial reply is always "nothing we can do". But I think you need to escalate any complaint up to supervisor level where I suspect something would be offered to reduce your loss.

3 hours ago, Mertonox said:

Has your insurer stated categorically they won't cover you? It so what is their reasoning, could it by any chance be that you were aware of seeing a doctor, needing these tests or feeling unwell and did not inform them?  Insurance companies insist you notify them of any of these things and will nullify your policy if you fail to do so.  

Otherwise I cannot see why you aren't covered under cancellation if you have a doctor's letter to state you are unfit to travel.  Possibly you are saying your insurer won't cover you because you are awaiting tests in which case you need to obtain as a matter of urgency a written final letter from them stating why they won't pay.  Although it's long winded the FCA has been finding for the insured on a lot of this type of claim.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mertonox said:

I have a medical condition that arose out of the blue four days before we were due to sail. I have yet to recieve a positive diagnosis and still need further test to determin the condition, so it would not be covered by travel insurance.

I had to cancel a cruise when I had a heart condition (H F). I spent months of tests and scans 

before it was fully confirmed but same as you was not fit to travel. I had to get my doctor to 

agree that that I was unfit to travel as I was still under investigation by the heart surgeon.

My advice is if you are insured to travel get a private letter from your GP stating you are 

unfit for travel and send that off to your insurance .

I was covered for a refund and paid out by the insurer without issue .

• Like 3

2 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

It makes one wonder if the P&O customer service agents actually work on a commission basis, their initial reply is always "nothing we can do". But I think you need to escalate any complaint up to supervisor level where I suspect something would be offered to reduce your loss.

In this case, there is nothing they can do. This is an insurance problem, not a P&O problem. If P&O were to make a payment, it could open the floodgates for people to look at a long range weather forecast and decide to get a refund if they cancel because it is forecast to rain. I am not suggesting that OP is doing this, clearly from what they say, they are not, but terms and conditions are clear to people when they book and advice to buy insurance prior to travel, and the need to have it on departure, is made clear. This week, I had to cancel a cruise that leaves on Saturday because of family illness and a C word contact. My insurance have said they cover it, hopefully they do. I never for a minute expected P&O to go outside their t&cs and refund any of what I paid. Expecting a service agent to break the rules of their employment and refund thousands of pounds never even crossed my mind and pressurising them to do so would be unacceptable in my opinion.

• Like 3

I'm confused. 

The OP is not unfit to travel, but has a new medical condition which requires tests. 

If he bought insurance prior to the aforementioned medical attention, surely he would be covered by his insurance policy. And, his insurance company could say that there would be no need to cancel his cruise,  as he would still be covered. 

Or is that too easy ?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I'm confused. 

The OP is not unfit to travel, but has a new medical condition which requires tests. 

If he bought insurance prior to the aforementioned medical attention, surely he would be covered by his insurance policy. And, his insurance company could say that there would be no need to cancel his cruise,  as he would still be covered. 

Or is that too easy ?

All a bit speculative.  It was the OP's first and last post, so no real info.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, wowzz said:

I'm confused. 

Or is that too easy ?

That's what my Axa insurance policy says and confirmed when I reported a glaucoma diagnosis and they amended the cover to include it. Actually they cancelled the existing policy, refunded my credit card and issued a new policy with glaucoma added for the same price, all immediately via the phone discussion. Once you have paid for the policy new medical conditions are covered.

9 hours ago, wowzz said:

I'm confused. 

Or is that too easy ?

Yes!  A lot of insurers, particularly the Staysure group, cancel automatically your insurance if you are awaiting tests or a medical procedure.  Effectively you become uninsurable.  It does of course depend on what they are testing for but basically anything that isn't on their "automatically accepted" list will trigger cancellation.

Dave's glaucoma is a minor illness on the insurance companies' accepted list.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, kalos said:

I think we should not fill this thread up with other scenario's and cruise lines 

@Mertonox is new to this board and hopefully will come back and tell us a 

little more of their situation and if they did contact their GP as well as P&O.

Agreed. After all, this is the P&O board. Other cruise lines have their own boards. It is not the first time a new poster has started a contentious and critical thread, never to be heard from again, maybe this new poster will be sufficiently grown up to provide us with an update. Hopefully he/she will do so.

• Like 2

I think I need to explain a bit more about my experience.  I have an annual policy with Staysure and have gone through medical screening for several other conditions which are covered on the policy, at quite an expense! However, this latest episode is entirely seperate. It came on suddenly and required emergency assessment. The following day my gp arranged for a ct scan which was carried out the following day (two days before departure) My results of the various test scans etc will not be in until next week so going on a cruise for fourteen nights was out of the question as I would not be covered by insurance as the condition was undiagnosed and therefore I did not have a specific condition that could be included in medical screening. I have spoken to Staysure and have the claim forms (11 pages) to fill in. I will also need a letter from my gp declaring that I had been advised not to travel but if all the test etc come back inconclusive, will my gp then be able to truthfully say I was unfit to travel? 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, pete14 said:

Agreed. After all, this is the P&O board. Other cruise lines have their own boards. It is not the first time a new poster has started a contentious and critical thread, never to be heard from again, maybe this new poster will be sufficiently grown up to provide us with an update. Hopefully he/she will do so.

Yes, the cruise is with P&O and yes I have spoken to them and Staysure.

33 minutes ago, Mertonox said:

Yes, the cruise is with P&O and yes I have spoken to them and Staysure.

Thank you for getting back and welcome to Cruise Critic in such sad circumstances .

You really need to see your GP asap . From what you are saying you are unfit to travel

at this time and your doctor should give you a letter based on now and not what the

future holds via tests etc .

Take care and hope you get sorted .

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Mertonox said:

I think I need to explain a bit more about my experience.  I have an annual policy with Staysure and have gone through medical screening for several other conditions which are covered on the policy, at quite an expense! However, this latest episode is entirely seperate. It came on suddenly and required emergency assessment. The following day my gp arranged for a ct scan which was carried out the following day (two days before departure) My results of the various test scans etc will not be in until next week so going on a cruise for fourteen nights was out of the question as I would not be covered by insurance as the condition was undiagnosed and therefore I did not have a specific condition that could be included in medical screening. I have spoken to Staysure and have the claim forms (11 pages) to fill in. I will also need a letter from my gp declaring that I had been advised not to travel but if all the test etc come back inconclusive, will my gp then be able to truthfully say I was unfit to travel? 

Thanks for the clarification. I had a feeling this would be what had happened.  At the date of sailing you will still be undiagnosed.  In this instance if you speak with your GP and explain what has happened with the cancellation he/she should be able to confirm you could not travel as this was an intervention required in an emergency.  This should be sufficient to prove to Staysure that you were medically unfit to travel.  

Could you confirm whether your policy with Staysure is still in place, have they threatened to cancel it or indeed have they automatically cancelled it due to the tests?  Unfortunately they are known to be rather trigger happy on cancellation in this type of situation.  However as you have been issued a claim form this is very positive news and hopefully relatively easy to sort.

• Like 2