Highly unusual diet restrictions - what will be the best choice

fischymom

June 2024 Icon of the Seas - I and my sister will be going together and she has an unusual diet for medical reasons, she follows FODMAP , which basically means that she has a list of foods, spices, etc that she has to avoid (think things like onion, garlic, wheat, peppers, some fruits and some veggies) so I know we need to fill out the diet request form but what is going to be the best option for us as far as meals, going to the MDR or Windjammer/and other quick options? Will the MDR make specialized meat and veggies for her or at the very least let us know what is in stuff? Because if she does eat the wrong things our next day will be cancelled and she will be stuck in the cabin for 12-18hrs.  

Personally, a cruise is not the vacation I'd be taking until I got the food issue worked out. FODMAP is a diet used to eliminate common foods allergens and irritants to help people with digestive issues figure out which food(s) the problem stems from. It's not a "forever" diet, so I'd either wait until the cruise is over to work on the FODMAP, or I'd wait to take the cruise until I figured out which foods are the issue. I've been given that FODMAP diet before and it's so extremely restrictive that there's just no way to eat out everyday on a cruise and follow it. 

• Like 6

The headwaiters in the MDR are quite familiar with special diets.  My Granddaughter has certain allergies and each night we went over the menu and other recommendations made by the Head Waiter.

He ordered special chocolate chips cookies and got pretzel rolls from Chops that she liked so much.

My special nightly order was the Savory Bites.

You may also, drop an e-mail to Royal Special Needs" @ 866.592.7225

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ARandomTraveler said:

Personally, a cruise is not the vacation I'd be taking until I got the food issue worked out. FODMAP is a diet used to eliminate common foods allergens and irritants to help people with digestive issues figure out which food(s) the problem stems from. It's not a "forever" diet, so I'd either wait until the cruise is over to work on the FODMAP, or I'd wait to take the cruise until I figured out which foods are the issue. I've been given that FODMAP diet before and it's so extremely restrictive that there's just no way to eat out everyday on a cruise and follow it. 

She has actually been through the diet for many years and she knows which items for the most part set her off so it's not that she is strictly "following" it but more of she knows which of those to avoid. 

We are just trying to figure out which would be easiest to use to avoid her triggers.

15 minutes ago, fischymom said:

She has actually been through the diet for many years and she knows which items for the most part set her off so it's not that she is strictly "following" it but more of she knows which of those to avoid. 

We are just trying to figure out which would be easiest to use to avoid her triggers.

Gotcha. Then I'd probably go with the specialty restaurants as they're making a smaller number of meals and you can much more easily customize them, and trust that the information has made it to the person in charge of making her specific meal. 

The MDR is putting out thousands of meals, and while people do report that the chef will come out and talk to you, and that you can get customized meals in there, depending on the food allergy, it could be risky.

@CatLadyFemme has a lot of good experience with this, and I know they eat in the MDR. Hopefully they'll chime in. 

Edited by ARandomTraveler
  • Like 1

My daughter has celiac, can get much better individual meals made in the MDR vs. specialty restaurants. She would choose her meals a day in advance, cruises are very good with food allergies with special kitchens. Since she’s been on it a while she can suggest some meals that she eats at home, making sure only certain ingredients are used.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, ARandomTraveler said:

Gotcha. Then I'd probably go with the specialty restaurants as they're making a smaller number of meals and you can much more easily customize them, and trust that the information has made it to the person in charge of making her specific meal. 

The MDR is putting out thousands of meals, and while people do report that the chef will come out and talk to you, and that you can get customized meals in there, depending on the food allergy, it could be risky.

@CatLadyFemme has a lot of good experience with this, and I know they eat in the MDR. Hopefully they'll chime in. 

Why spend extra $ when the MDR staff can do a good or better job in designing apps, entrees & desserts in conjunction with Chefs.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, fischymom said:

June 2024 Icon of the Seas - I and my sister will be going together and she has an unusual diet for medical reasons, she follows FODMAP , which basically means that she has a list of foods, spices, etc that she has to avoid (think things like onion, garlic, wheat, peppers, some fruits and some veggies) so I know we need to fill out the diet request form but what is going to be the best option for us as far as meals, going to the MDR or Windjammer/and other quick options? Will the MDR make specialized meat and veggies for her or at the very least let us know what is in stuff? Because if she does eat the wrong things our next day will be cancelled and she will be stuck in the cabin for 12-18hrs.  

The MDR will be able to make what your sister needs.  I would not waste my money on specialty dining.  The MDR has a special kitchen that deals with all the dietary requests, they are trained to deal with specialized needs.

• Like 3

FODMAP is tough to follow but easy to prepare for at the same time.

Just talk to the head waiter when you board.

Spending extra for a dining package would be a waste since for many meals they're going to have to come up with something from scratch (since many meals are pre-prepared) anyway.

Edited by smokeybandit

The Main Dining Room does a great job dealing with that sort of thing.    There's a real advantage to having the same waiters every night that know your situation.     They'll take your Sister's order for dinner the day before so they can have everything prepared according to her needs.

We have had good luck in the Windjammer as well, but it's a little tougher because they don't have that same advance preparation time.    If you speak to someone there, they'll probably grab a Chef to talk to you about her dietary requirements.

• Like 2

DH does the same.  In the MDR they give him the menu for the next night.  In the WJ he has to ask lots of questions but can often get something made just for him if he’s willing to wait.  For the speciality restaurants he again goes in the night before to pre order. He can get pizza, no sauce, just cheese at Sorrentos or Park Cafe.  

He’s does very well.  The hardest part is he can’t eat off the ship.  Although one place in Cozumel recently made him fresh guacamole without onions.

Good luck and enjoy! 

Dining in the MDR with my food allergies has worked very well for me. We choose Traditional Dining so that we have the same wait staff every night. Because they get to know me and I get to know them, we are able to develop a relationship and I know I can trust them to watch out for me for the duration of our cruise. 

I have nothing at all against specialty restaurants. The few we have been to have been very careful to accommodate my dietary needs. I just hate having to go through my specific dietary needs every single night. I also like that it gives the dining room staff a head start if they have to make something special for me so they’re not having to do extra work during their already busy dinner time. 

I do eat in the Windjammer occasionally. I am always very careful and ask a lot of questions before I choose anything there. Windjammer staff have always been very helpful. 

I have never had a problem with my food allergies being accommodated on any of our cruises on Royal Caribbean or any other cruise line that we have sailed. 

• Like 1

I have family members who have food allergies which are dairy, no salt, and can’t have any spice that is hot like black pepper and also has to avoid garlic and onions.  Prior to Covid over the years we had been on 4 cruises with Royal. We pretty much ate dinner in the MDR and had been told when we came on board to stop by there so they could note the issues and select what to have that first night.  After that as someone mentioned during the meal each night they were shown the menu for the next day and picked what they wanted.  We had breakfasts in the Windjammer and they were able to prepare eggs with no dairy and salt and could have fruit and a few other things from the buffet. Everyone was so wonderful accommodating.  We had postponed a med cruise a few years ago and are booked for next summer.  

21 hours ago, nelblu said:

better job

MDR is essentially a Golden Corral where they dished your food up for you. The specialty is a better version of Applebee's. In the end MDR has an issue of the volume of food they need to put out that is going to hold them back from doing a better job than a specialty restaurant.

You definitely want to have your Sister fill out the special needs form and send them an email. 

Here is the link

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/resources/guest-special-needs

When you are within 2 or 3 weeks of your sail date I would also email the rcldining people and le them know too.   Make sure to reference your booking number. Sail date, and ship name on all correspondence.  Don't do too soon otherwise your requests may get lost.

I think MDR is your best bet, windjammer probably not since it is a buffet.

20 hours ago, J0Y0US said:

MDR is essentially a Golden Corral where they dished your food up for you. The specialty is a better version of Applebee's. In the end MDR has an issue of the volume of food they need to put out that is going to hold them back from doing a better job than a specialty restaurant.

The MDR is the way to go with food allergies, they can literally make any dish requested. Specialty restaurants make certain dishes, have access to certain ingredients. Cruising with food allergies is like having a personal chef.

On 10/29/2022 at 2:54 AM, fischymom said:

My husband follows a low Fodmap diet, but certainly not as strictly as he did 5 years ago. Royal Caribbean handles food intolerances very, very well.When he first started on elimination, we went on a trans pacific to Hawaii and I could not have been offered more assistance. Every night to head waiter brings the menu for the next night and they can modify most meals, some not, but that is ok.

Now he is not as strict and it is mainly onion and garlic, but some fruits! We have today just come of a Princess Cruise and it took some time for them to see the importance of his food intolerances! Next month Royal Caribbean again till Xmas and I am sure there will be no problems.

My advice, contact special needs, then the Matre de the day you board and all should be ok. I find sometimes the specialty (except for Chops) can be a little more difficult, as we have just found out. We avoid buffets too, definitely no Windjammer except for a salad, no dressing!

When he was diagnosed with IBS and they suggested this type of diet (lifestyle ) I thought our cruising days were over, but this could not be further from the truth.

We also use the Monash App to still see what foods we should chose. Just tell your sister all will be fine. I will report back if you like when we board on 26/11 till 23/12 and let you know if there are any issues, but I certainly don’t think there will be.

• Like 1