Ideas for a sailing in 23 days and dont have a passport or BC?

Suzcruz57

The outcome doesn't look good..........of course he can get a BC but at this point only his congressman can help.  I'd get in touch with him/her immediately.  In Texas one is able to go to an outstation or courthouse for the county in which you are born and obtain a stamped copy within a couple hours.  Used to cost $12.  But time is not on your side.

Edited by BecciBoo

I think your SIL will need to do this:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/get-fast.html

Urgent Travel Service: Schedule an appointment if you are traveling internationally within 14 calendar days or need a foreign visa within 28 calendar days. Call 1-877-487-2778 from 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. ET, Mondays through Fridays. Our appointment line for Urgent Travel Service is closed on weekends and federal holidays. 

Preparing for your Appointment: Collect all of your application materials before you arrive for your appointment. Bring the information you got in the confirmation email from the National Passport Information Center when you scheduled your appointment. 

Use our online form filler to fill out your form and print it before you arrive for your appointment. You can also print a PDF of your form and complete it by hand in black ink before you arrive. Both of these options reduce the amount of time you spend in our lobby on the day of your appointment.

Arriving to your Appointment: We require appointments, and we currently do not offer walk-in services. You cannot transfer your appointment to another person.

Here are the locations (your SIL may need to travel to get to a passport office; our friends forgot to get  a passport for their infant, got turned away at Newark and had to go to Manhattan to apply for an emergency passport).  https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/get-fast/passport-agencies.html

Edited by kitkat343

10 minutes ago, Suzcruz57 said:

Just found out son in law (born in NY) can’t find his birth certificate and passport is expired. Are there any other forms of proof that will be accepted to board?

Have him order a new birth certificate.  You have plenty of time to get one.  I know I can just go to city hall and get one on the spot for $10.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

Have him order a new birth certificate.  You have plenty of time to get one.  I know I can just go to city hall and get one on the spot for $10.

A birth certificate would be a lot cheaper than an emergency passport; it just depends if the location where he was born fills requests immediately, and if he is close enough to travel there.  If he's close enough to travel, he can call on Monday to see if they offer this service.

Edited by kitkat343

14 minutes ago, Suzcruz57 said:

Just found out son in law (born in NY) can’t find his birth certificate and passport is expired. Are there any other forms of proof that will be accepted to board?

A lot depends on where he is sailing- is it closed loop?

1 hour ago, Suzcruz57 said:

https://www.ny.gov/services/get-copy-birth-certificate

https://www.nyc.gov/site/doh/services/birth-death-records-birth.page

9 minutes ago, Suzcruz57 said:

He was born in NY

Yes, you said that earlier.  He needs to find out the procedure for obtaining a birth certificate from NY.  If he still lives in NY, he should see if he can pick one up in person.  If he doesn't live in NY, he should see if he can order one over the phone or online.  There are expediters too but he likely doesn't have the time and it is usually more expensive.  Get him online and have him do some research.

6 minutes ago, Seville2Cabo said:

If he has an expired passport, does he need a birth certificate to get a new passport.  I thought you can pay for expedited passport. 

You can renew an expired passport if you meet the criteria.  You would only need the expired passport and renewal application to do it.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/have-passport/renew.html

2 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

Agree, done this couple times though depends where you live and born. Always had extras just in case

Edited by ONECRUISER