Rumor or not?

ValerieJo

4 hours ago, ValerieJo said:

I read on another site that Royal will start charging $8 per additional dinner plate in the main dining room for dinner beginning in February.   Has anyone else heard this?  What are your thoughts?  Hopefully, it's not true.

How many people order extra plates?  Most times, it’s the wait staff offering to bring more (as “better” service equals better tips).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Airbear232 said:

How many people order extra plates?  Most times, it’s the wait staff offering to bring more (as “better” service equals better tips).

I have never ordered a second entrée.  I have received a second lobster tail when they the waiters were trying to give them away (we cruised during H. Irma and the ship was NOT at capacity, so many cancellations, which probably contributed to them trying to give them away, lol.)

Sometimes waiters seem more reluctant, other times they are really pushing the extra lobster. On my last cruise we were asked if we really wanted to wait since the kitchen was having to prepare more. That was on a second tail. Food costs are tough all over now. 

29 minutes ago, Airbear232 said:

Oh, I've seen many people order 2 or 3 entrees. I wonder where all that food fits. That's just the entrees. 

Edited by blueslily
  • Like 1

Just to clarify, the announcement from Carnival about the $5 charge after the first 2 entrees, is not limited just to lobster. Once folks get to entree #3, its $5 per additional entree. The question some folks had in response to the I initial announcement was whether or not that would be the same price for lobster or if it would be higher. 

34 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

If they are the tiny, cut in half, long ways, I don't have a hard time believing it.  

No, nor Al size full tails.  This was 2018 in the MDR. 

Edited by DaKahuna

4 hours ago, ballarinamom said:

Definitely  have no problem with that. Food waste is a major issue on cruise lines,. But I have been on cruises where guys have ordered 10 lobsters when they are seated.

Who’s stomach is even that big? Where do they put them? I guess it’s like the hot dog eating, but that’s a competition. I think there should be a limit on them. I’m not for Royal starting to charge extra for things, but when people do it just to do it I think they should be charged.

1 minute ago, DaKahuna said:

No, nor Al size full tails.  This was 2018 in the MDR. 

Then I'm impressed.  But, just to be clear, my memory of eating lobster tail in the MDR was from back in circa 2018/2019, on Oasis class, just can't remember which one.  

1 minute ago, Ret MP said:

Then I'm impressed.  But, just to be clear, my memory of eating lobster tail in the MDR was from back in circa 2018/2019, on Oasis class, just can't remember which one.  

He had asked our waiter what the most anyone had eaten was and the waiter told him 13 was the most he had seen anyone eat.  His 15 year old ego kicked in! 

Four hours later he had his younger sister bring him two slices of pizza. 

Now he is a linebacker on his college football team. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, nelblu said:

I wonder what it would be for lobster night.

On one Royal cruise (can't remember which one) two rather rotund fellows decided to have a lobster eating contest at our large table. They got up to five each and they were still going at it when left the dining room. I think their wives were about ready to brain both of them.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, jean87510 said:

Ziplocks?  With sea food?  In the cabin refrigerators?  🤢

another revenue enhancement.... a replacement cabin?   With the in-room coolers (not true refrigerators) that won't chill a bottle of water, I can't imagine what ziplocked seafood would be like after a couple of hours.   🐟

6 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

If people don't voice an opinion, the upcharges will continue.

Some will probably take the $5 from their auto tips funds. 

5 hours ago, jean87510 said:

Ziplocks?  With sea food?  In the cabin refrigerators?  🤢

At least the butter would still be warm. 😉🤢

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Some will probably take the $5 from their auto tips funds. 

At least the butter would still be warm. 😉🤢

Hush your mouth. I've already heard threats from carnival pax over the cuts to remove tips. No more soft serve ice cream at 3 am, it's not 24 hours and the price of a case of pre ordered bottled water went to 9.95. Carnival still has 57% odds of going bankrupt the analysts say.

12 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

yup I agree and not just RCI but Celebrity.  I did not even like Coastal Kitchen or Blu that much.

Fancy does not equate to taste in my opinion.

Most ships the buffet is getting better and faster and it quieter and 

12 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

Given a lot of dishes from dining rooms are also available in the buffets.  Is it more of a case that you prefer the ease of the buffet and getting what you want, when you want it?

15 hours ago, ValerieJo said:

I read on another site that Royal will start charging $8 per additional dinner plate in the main dining room for dinner beginning in February.   Has anyone else heard this?  What are your thoughts?  Hopefully, it's not true.

WHAT???

Did Elon Musk buy Royal Caribbean too? 😉

https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/twitter-users-can-soon-get-blue-check-for-us-8-monthly-fee-1.6140702

• Haha 5

13 hours ago, orville99 said:

We try not to even order one. Do not like the MDR offerings at all.

im also not thrilled with MDR entrees, but on our last TA I started to order a few things from the vegan menu. Some of the apps and soups were much better and fresher than on the main menu. Others at our table took notice and also checked that menu each night before deciding what to eat. I’m not vegan but I don’t eat much meat

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

Most ships the buffet is getting better and faster and it quieter and nicer.

It's amazing how nice and quiet the Windjammer is in the evening. We've gone from MDR to WJ for desserts or a snack after having dinner, and it's definitely less stressful feeling in there!

• Like 1