Random upgrades?

atobols

This is our first Celebrity cruise and we seem to be getting random upgrades.  We booked an inside cabin and got bumped up to a veranda.  We ordered the classic drink package for adults and now Xpress pass says we have premium drinks.  We didn't buy any drink packages for minor children and they're both showing premium non-alcoholic package.  I've never experienced anything like this with other cruise lines.  Is this something Celebrity routinely does?

I don't know if this is a regular thing today or not, but I know that in the past I had a large group of friends all book a Celebrity cruise as a group. I was the only one who had been on Celebrity before. Everyone other than me got a complimentary upgrade from Veranda to Aqua. I got no upgrade.

I think Celebrity has believes that treating you like a VIP on your first cruise and showing the best they can offer ... will incentivize you to pay for that service in the future.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I would be careful about the Premium Drink package up grade just because I do not trust their IT department  and the up grade is a money maker for X.  I know if I see OBC that I was not expecting I do not spend it until I am sure of the source.  I guess I always look a gift horse in the mouth.  That said the cabin upgrade is not so unusual these days when ships are not full. Enjoy.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, D. B. said:

You will Know if you did get the Premium Drink upgrade because it will say so  On your Seapass card.

That's a really good point.  We've been doing Princess cruises lately so I completely forgot about getting a key card.

On 11/8/2022 at 8:07 AM, Arizona Wildcat said:

Never seem that happen.  After many cruises the only upgrade we got was from a veranda to Aqua.   The ship was half full.

I did an 11 night Hawaii cruise this past May and booked a solo inside cabin. A few minutes after I got to my room cabin attendant said GR had moved me to a veranda on deck 8 midship with no obstruction.  When I asked why they said 'because we can'.  First time that's happened. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 11/9/2022 at 9:11 AM, drakes2 said:

I did an 11 night Hawaii cruise this past May and booked a solo inside cabin. A few minutes after I got to my room cabin attendant said GR had moved me to a veranda on deck 8 midship with no obstruction.  When I asked why they said 'because we can'.  First time that's happened. 

I also was on that same cruise on the Eclipse. We booked an inside cabin and was upgraded to veranda. I found out I was upgraded when my luggage was not delivered to the room. I checked my Xpress pass and discovered that my room number changed.

Edited by chvnty
  • Like 2

We received a balcony upgrade after about our 3rd cruise with Celebrity ...  We truly enjoyed it and booked a balcony ever since.

I don't know if this matters or not,  but we probably spent more on ship excursions than we did on the cruise ...

Edited by NMTraveller

On 11/7/2022 at 7:30 PM, someguyfl said:

I think Celebrity has believes that treating you like a VIP on your first cruise and showing the best they can offer ... will incentivize you to pay for that service in the future.

I certainly found this to be true on Cunard. I was cruising solo on a TA and was in a cabin aft on deck 5.

I was upgraded to a cabin midship on deck 11. (room steward wasn't even aware of the change...apparently folks had to cancel last minute...)

No idea why they choose me but it worked...I booked cruises with them soon after...

On 11/7/2022 at 10:30 PM, someguyfl said:

Didn't happen for me on the Edge in Feb 2020. My first X cruise and they left me in my solo stateroom. Maybe I shouldn't have linked my Crown & Anchor account before so they'd think I was a total newbie?

1 minute ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Didn't happen for me on the Edge in Feb 2020. My first X cruise and they left me in my solo stateroom. Maybe I shouldn't have linked my Crown & Anchor account before so they'd think I was a total newbie?

Probably. 

I also never got a free upgrade from celebrity… but my first cruise with them was a Royal Suite… they probably think I’m fine to pay for what I want…

I don’t think they upgrade to be nice. I think they upgrade because there’s demand for the lower priced cabins and they can sell more of these categories than they actually have on the ship as long as there’s a higher category cabin to upgrade people to. 

Edited by mfs2k
  • Like 1

On 11/7/2022 at 10:27 PM, atobols said:

This is our first Celebrity cruise and we seem to be getting random upgrades.  We booked an inside cabin and got bumped up to a veranda.  We ordered the classic drink package for adults and now Xpress pass says we have premium drinks.  We didn't buy any drink packages for minor children and they're both showing premium non-alcoholic package.  I've never experienced anything like this with other cruise lines.  Is this something Celebrity routinely does?

We've been on many a cruise(mainly Celebrity and Royal Caribbean and never had an upgrade. Lucky you!

That’s awesome! Your room upgrade I’m sure is a for sure thing, but like others have said, I wouldn’t quite hang my hat on the drinks package upgrades until you’re onboard and see them truly loaded to your account. I too have read accounts of Celebrity and Royal Caribbean IT making mistakes and then fixing them later instead of honoring them. Hopefully it really truly is just a wonderful gift from Celebrity, though!