Beyond creaking and knocking and slamming oh my!

RobertoF

51 minutes ago, rmalbers said:

I sure hope they get to the bottom of it and we find out the cause, this is really strange with all the work and expense that goes into building a ship. 

Maybe they already know the cause and there's simply nothing that can be done to resolve it.

We were in 11294 (Sunset Veranda) during the February 5 Beyond sailing. We experienced the same loud cracking/creaking sounds that others have experienced. The sounds came from all corners of the cabin, not just from the exterior, interestingly. I noticed that the ship was shuddering quite a bit while underway - the same feeling when the ship is docking. So, my theory is that there is a propulsion issue that is the underlying cause of the sound - sending waves of energy through the ship that shouldn't be there. We called down to Guest Services one night to ask what can be done, and they offered to give us another cabin to sleep in but couldn't guarantee that the same issues wouldn't be present. We declined. The next day, we saw engineering staff inspecting and making adjustments to cabins (tightening things, essentially). The noises were quieter after that but not fully gone. Later that day, someone from Guest Services called to apologize for the issue and offered us some future cruise credit for our troubles. The fact that they acted on the complaints and offered us compensation improved our feelings on the matter. Needless to say, we slept very well on our last night.

Bottom line, in my opinion, it is an issue, Celebrity knows about it, and they know how to give good customer service. 🙂

• Like 4

I am about to cancel our upcoming transatlantic Cruise on Beyond, will be on cabin 12162 infinity veranda because noise issues, I read on this tread.

Is anyone has more info. about noise, will greatly appreciated.

Talked to the agent from Celebrity yesterday, she said noise wasn't the issue on Beyond.

14 minutes ago, Jmoondance said:

I am about to cancel our upcoming transatlantic Cruise on Beyond, will be on cabin 12162 infinity veranda because noise issues, I read on this tread.

Is anyone has more info. about noise, will greatly appreciated.

Talked to the agent from Celebrity yesterday, she said noise wasn't the issue on Beyond.

We are booked on Beyond's EB and WB TA's for 2023 and are not canceling.

But I understand everyone's concerns.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

Yup had Cabin 6162 on the Beyond July 28th sailing and had all of the creaking, but honestly really bad only when we picked up speed to make up time after the ship left late from port and had to make up time, but boy was it loud.  Headed out on the Apex later this month and hoping for a quiet cabin...

Edited by kkmdh

• 1 month later...

any body in 9316 on the beyond. we have a march 1 2024 southern caribbean planned. yes older and must have

sleep. thinking about cancelling. have a good

price on an aqua class a2 cabin but this cabin is way back. in fact 1 cabin away from sunset. any input valued

1 hour ago, Hikernurse said:

any body in 9316 on the beyond. we have a march 1 2024 southern caribbean planned. yes older and must have

sleep. thinking about cancelling. have a good

price on an aqua class a2 cabin but this cabin is way back. in fact 1 cabin away from sunset. any input valued

We were in a deck 9 sunset veranda.  No noise at all. 

On 11/23/2022 at 7:55 AM, AC Stew said:

On the recent Edge Transatlantic from Civitavecchia, we were in SV 11273. While in the Med, we did hear some "louder than normal" banging and creaking, apparently from the ceiling area, bordering the neighbouring cabin. But the noise was intermittent; we actually joked about it with our cabin steward.

However, once into the Atlantic, with a few nights of higher seas, it was no longer a joking matter. The noises kept me up on a couple of nights. I have never heard such cacophony in a ship's cabin! It was not normal creaking that we've always experienced on every other class ship ... this was far different. It sounded like a loud hammer banging above us ... all night long!

We actually were compelled to inform Guest Services, wondering if something was wrong. They sent a maintenance "joiner" who looked at the walls. We pointed out that someone had inserted several shims into seams between the wall and ceiling overhang. Clearly, we weren't the first guests to have been disturbed. The guy wouldn't really comment, but he said that he'd check the cabin above us. Did he? Don't know. But the seas did calm down for a few days and the noise was diminished. Never entirely, but enough so that we could sleep.

Now that this thread has pointed out the noise issue on Edge Class ships, I'm wondering if we need to expect that this would be an ongoing problem? For us, another reason to avoid Edge Class. Loved the Transatlantic experience (as always); did not love the ship.

I haven't said anything... until now. We were in 11200 and the exact same issue!! I managed to isolate the consistent BANGING noise to the upper portion of the wall, behind the curtains, on the forward side of the wall. The noise goes away in calm water, but any medium and worse seas, it returns. 

Took the issue to guest relations. They sent someone to check it out. Eventually, we were told it was a known issue but could not be fixed until dry dock (on Edge). We didn't sleep for 3 nights!! A small FCC was issued, we were moved to a lesser priced cabin on deck 9. 

This episode caused us to cancel our next trip on Beyond... and likely will only sail Solstice class ships from now on... if ever again with Celebrity. 

34 minutes ago, RealBatman said:

I haven't said anything... until now. We were in 11200 and the exact same issue!! I managed to isolate the consistent BANGING noise to the upper portion of the wall, behind the curtains, on the forward side of the wall. The noise goes away in calm water, but any medium and worse seas, it returns. 

Took the issue to guest relations. They sent someone to check it out. Eventually, we were told it was a known issue but could not be fixed until dry dock (on Edge). We didn't sleep for 3 nights!! A small FCC was issued, we were moved to a lesser priced cabin on deck 9. 

This episode caused us to cancel our next trip on Beyond... and likely will only sail Solstice class ships from now on... if ever again with Celebrity. 

I helped a friend move from her solo veranda room on Beyond Oct ‘22 and that noise was not good. Reminded me of gunfire and sounded like it had something to do with the infinite veranda window. When pressed on, the noise lessened. This was slightly bad weather but not horrible. I’ve gone on Beyond since then and in perfect weather I never heard anything. I used to sleep next to a generator in Afghanistan so I figure I can handle the upcoming TA if we hit any rough weather 😂

• Haha 1

On 2/13/2023 at 9:26 PM, Fijalclarkski said:

We were in 11294 (Sunset Veranda) during the February 5 Beyond sailing. We experienced the same loud cracking/creaking sounds that others have experienced. The sounds came from all corners of the cabin, not just from the exterior, interestingly. I noticed that the ship was shuddering quite a bit while underway - the same feeling when the ship is docking. So, my theory is that there is a propulsion issue that is the underlying cause of the sound - sending waves of energy through the ship that shouldn't be there. We called down to Guest Services one night to ask what can be done, and they offered to give us another cabin to sleep in but couldn't guarantee that the same issues wouldn't be present. We declined. The next day, we saw engineering staff inspecting and making adjustments to cabins (tightening things, essentially). The noises were quieter after that but not fully gone. Later that day, someone from Guest Services called to apologize for the issue and offered us some future cruise credit for our troubles. The fact that they acted on the complaints and offered us compensation improved our feelings on the matter. Needless to say, we slept very well on our last night.

Bottom line, in my opinion, it is an issue, Celebrity knows about it, and they know how to give good customer service. 🙂

We were on that cruise and we had their same problem that others have complained about, our room had the knocking noise that sounded like a woodpecker banging against the outside of our cabin. We taped the noise and then complained about it to guest services and at first we were offered ear plugs. That didn’t go over very well with DH. She eventually spoke with the manager of guest services and they really tried to fix the problem but weren't able to until the last night. We too were offered a nice FCC, which we accepted along with a meet and greet with Captain Kate.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/13/2023 at 11:12 AM, scmomofboys said:

Just off the Beyond in Sky Suite 10140 and relatives is 10142. The noise was unreal - cracking, popping and slamming (kept thinking the door was opening and closing) any time we were underway and even in moderate seas. It was worse when we had some rolling seas but still very noisy regardless. Noise cancelling headphones did not help. My relative had maintenance come twice to make "adjustments". That was a waste of time. Our assumption is that it is a design issue and there is nothing they can do to "fix" it. The noise was a topic multiple people joined in whenever we discussed, so not an isolated problem to this deck or class of cabins. We sailed on the Edge twice in same location (SS & CS) and never experienced anything like this. We won't sail Beyond again for this reason - my husband calls it Cap't Kate's Creaky Crate. It's such a shame, as this ship is beautiful and we loved almost everything about it - except if you want to sleep.

I have SS 10140 booked next April and now I am stressed about this 😥 Is this problem still not fixed???