Live on board the Dawn- misc. comments

A Tucson Guy

4 hours ago, Mahogany said:

WHY are the SALT excursions so unreasonably priced?

Simple: supply and demand. Capacity for only a small number of passengers means they can charge a lot, pay for a (hopefully) premium experience, and pocket a significant profit. They've got to find ways to pay for the expensive new ships and all the downtime during the height of the Covid pandemic.

(If you think these are expensive, just take a look at the new expedition ships with onboard submarines; those excursions on Seabourn cost up to $900 per person. And it sounds like they're not having trouble selling them!)

2 hours ago, cruiseej said:

Simple: supply and demand. Capacity for only a small number of passengers means they can charge a lot, pay for a (hopefully) premium experience, and pocket a significant profit. They've got to find ways to pay for the expensive new ships and all the downtime during the height of the Covid pandemic.

(If you think these are expensive, just take a look at the new expedition ships with onboard submarines; those excursions on Seabourn cost up to $900 per person. And it sounds like they're not having trouble selling them!)

Actually, I'm sailing on Venture this spring - and of course 🤤opting for a ride on the submarine! But I'm passing on the SALT excursions on my Dawn sailing this summer.

Having just gotten of the Dawn after 12 glorious days, it could not have been a better cruise. We have four days in Lisbon and just finished our first of four days with Jorge of Premiere Tours. He is just wonderful to have as our private tour guide. It is now 6:30 and we can't find the butler with our caviar and champagne- we were just spoiled. In our opinion, SS has NOT lost its luster at all. Now looking forward to the Nova in August 2023.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

On 11/24/2022 at 6:24 PM, markham said:

I too am on Dawn. I have not noticed jeans in the evening in the beautiful La Dame or competent Atlantide. Or even in La Terrazza. Outside at the Grill or Spaccanspoli may be “anything goes” which is as “picnic mode”.

I dress traditionally and in line with the recommended dress code, and have no issue with wearing a jacket every evening and a proper dinner jacket on formal nights. It’s always worth the effort.

I saw some amusing comments re jeans a year ago by some Seabourn cruisers keen to justify and promote jeans as evening wear. They said their jeans were very expensive; my take is they’re in the business. No kidding! FWIW, my opinion is jeans for men over 50 or 60 look anything but smart on this luxurious ship. Almost comical as if they’re ready for a day off school or maybe gardening tasks. But hey- if they wanna look like that it’s ok, right?

Just my 2 cents on jeans right now. The cocktail hour trio is playing in the Panorama bar,  2 couples are dancing, and the Silversea lady singers are in long sequined gowns. Jeans among us? Please.

Happy and healthy sailing!

We disembarked the Dawn on the 2nd November, we did see a couple of men wearing blue jeans in the restaurants after 6:00 pm. I guess no one is around or bothering to say anything, he was wearing a jacket. On the Spirit a few years ago, we went to Atlantide with another couple we had met on board, it was Informal evening, the Maitre D asked him to go and put a jacket on. 

On 12/1/2022 at 4:10 PM, spinnaker2 said:

Just a wet, dreary day, chilly, gloomy, and nap inducing.

1351977C-3060-4259-8ED1-F1D48F71C2CB.thumb.jpeg.bd3ba210cb22aa05a8b3de0c500343d6.jpeg

You must have been in Gibraltar. It was not a nice day. We live across the border in Spain and could not see Gibraltar due to the weather.Incidentally, we are booked on the Dawn Transatlantic for the end of 2023, looking forward to sea days after our last cruise on the Dawn only seven days but every day a Port.

• Like 1

On 12/4/2022 at 8:43 AM, Mistinguett said:

we did see a couple of men wearing blue jeans in the restaurants after 6:00 pm. I guess no one is around or bothering to say anything, he was wearing a jacket.

Hoping not to fire up another dress code flurry here, but I just wanted to note that the "Clothing Suggestions - Shipboard Attire" section of the Silversea website (it's ever referred to as a dress code) specifically does require the jacket, but never mentions that jeans are not acceptable. Jeans, in fact, are not mentioned at all. It only says "slacks for gentlemen are appropriate" for Casual evenings and adds "gentlemen wear jackets (tie optional)" for Informal Evenings.

Again, let's please not get into a discussion of how jeans are not the same as slacks, or whether "nice" or "fancy" jeans meet the bill, or whether jeans are the gateway to t-shirts in the main dining room, etc. 😉  I just wanted to address the misconception that Silversea explicitly says no jeans after 6 pm; they don't, and therefore probably shouldn't bar a guest wearing jeans. 

• Like 3

On 11/28/2022 at 3:40 PM, Mahogany said:

WHY are the SALT excursions so unreasonably priced?

'cos they can. 

They sell out, so they charge what they like and make a very handsome profit. Luckily its not something I've any interest in.

8 hours ago, les37b said:

'cos they can. 

They sell out, so they charge what they like and make a very handsome profit. Luckily its not something I've any interest in.

Actually, on all of our Moon and Dawn cruises,  including the inaugurals and the cruise from this thread, at least some SALT excursions were canceled because not enough people signed up. I think Silversea is still trying to figure out the pricing. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, sea bright said:

Actually, on all of our Moon and Dawn cruises,  including the inaugurals and the cruise from this thread, at least some SALT excursions were canceled because not enough people signed up. I think Silversea is still trying to figure out the pricing. 

I looked at the pricing and said no way

• Like 1

On 12/5/2022 at 11:01 PM, Mr Luxury said:

The ultimate judge of sartorial attire is yourself.

You've either got good taste or you haven't.

There are only the two scenarios.

Yes, and that goes for men wearing suits that should have been retired years ago—-and keep in mind the waistline for trousers isn’t below the belly……..

• Like 1

On 12/5/2022 at 6:41 PM, cruiseej said:

Again, let's please not get into a discussion of how jeans are not the same as slacks, or whether "nice" or "fancy" jeans meet the bill, or whether jeans are the gateway to t-shirts in the main dining room, etc. 😉  I just wanted to address the misconception that Silversea explicitly says no jeans after 6 pm; they don't, and therefore probably shouldn't bar a guest wearing jeans. 

When I was working jeans with a tweed sports coat (and no tie!) was perfect (and common) attire.

However I went out and bought a pair of black slacks to wear on formal nights. I can wear a sports coat onto the plane and I will bring a tie that I might even wear. Minimal extra cost and minimal extra weight.

I'll leave the tux for the penguins (if any).

Edited by pavementends
  • Like 1