Man Overboard on Carnival Valor found alive

BlerkOne

3 hours ago, MoniMommy said:

Other than jumping how does one fall off? I can see being inebriated and stumbling but the railing would prevent you from falling? What are some ways that one can fall without jumping or being pushed? Genuinely curious so I know what to be aware of.

You answered your own question. There is None. You have to put yourself in a precarious situation. It's impossible just to fall off. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BlerkOne said:

I don't think anyone disputes he was plucked from the water, but says nothing about what time he went in or where, or how.

Maybe he climbed over a rail or other barrier to do something illicit and was looking for a location where he wouldn't be busted. Maybe it was a stunt and he was bobbing on a flotation device until he knew he would be rescued. or maybe....

It was 6 hours from when the USCG was notified by Carnival to the rescue. Other sources indicated that before notifying USCG, Carnival completed a thorough search of the vessel. I imagine that takes some time. My point is that there is no reason to question that the man was in the sea for an unusually long time. 

I find the thought that someone would undertake a 4 - 10 story leap into the Gulf with a flotation device in hand and a plan to float for many hours more improbable than the story as reported.

1 hour ago, broberts said:

It was 6 hours from when the USCG was notified by Carnival to the rescue. Other sources indicated that before notifying USCG, Carnival completed a thorough search of the vessel. I imagine that takes some time. My point is that there is no reason to question that the man was in the sea for an unusually long time. 

I find the thought that someone would undertake a 4 - 10 story leap into the Gulf with a flotation device in hand and a plan to float for many hours more improbable than the story as reported.

A search of the vessel involves multiple notifications over the PA system for everyone to check in. Once they account for everyone not missing that phase is over 

I just can't quite get over this story. First, it's remarkable the fall didn't take his life. I always thought falling or jumping off a moving cruise ship was almost always a death sentence. Next, I just can't imagine it would be possible to tread water for so many hours. I wonder if, by some miracle, he found something in the ocean that he was able to grab on to and use to float on? Whatever happened, it is a truly wonderful ending to a harrowing event. I hope he does an interview and tells his story! I was on a cruise awhile ago when a passenger passed away by jumping. The ship was able to recover his body, which at least gave his family some closure. It was so awful. I can't imagine how elated this man's family must be. So much to be thankful for on Thanksgiving.

• Like 2

I'm not wasting any more time wondering how he went in the water, when he went into the water, where he went into the water, was there a floatation device or not, or how long did he actually have to tread water for.

I'm now trying to figure out how they get the caramel into those Caramilk bars. 

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

She was one of the original card carrying members of the me generation.

My late grandmother was about 18 years old back in 1912 when the Titanic sunk. Are you saying that sweet wonderful grand lady was part of a me generation? 🤯

So what does that make our generation, the me me me generation? 🤔

7 hours ago, staceyglow said:

That's 100% on Kate Winslet.  She wouldn't let him on the floating door with her.

No, it wasn't Kate. It was James Cameron in scuba gear pulling him down from below. Why? Because a dead Leo DiCaprio would add $1 billion million to the gross and about $300 million to his personal payday! And James was not an original card carrying member of a me generation, he was just a member of one of many generations of good capitalists! 💲 😍 💲

Now back to solving that darn Caramilk secret! 

Edited by DirtyDawg

16 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

The authorities do not know how, when, or where he went over, so he could have not only been in US waters, but also Louisiana waters.

And in order to lay a charge they’d have to be able to prove it was in their jurisdiction.  

one of the first things in a trial is proving jurisdiction. 

Edited by 1kaper
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

The authorities do not know how, when, or where he went over, so he could have not only been in US waters, but also Louisiana waters.

I assume they know he didn't go over before he left for the bathroom.  I assume someone figured out he probably went overboard shortly after he left for the bathroom? So they figured out where Valor was at the time?  I know little about the course Valor would have taken.  Wouldn't that have been well offshore, because it was 11pm or something, and surely the ship is well into its voyage by then?  Or is it still just clearing the channels out of the river delta?  Was he found near that location?  Or was he found further along their route (which would indicate he went over later that night)?  Anyone feeling like being an amateur (or pro) marine navigator and figure it out?

Sorry to ask, but honestly I know that I know next to nothing about ship navigation.

Maybe I'll go look at that website that shows current ship positions and see if I can understand where the Valor could have been.

Edited by ProgRockCruiser
  • Like 1

Oh yeah, one more thing...

Even if no-one saw him go over via the cameras, does Carnival record the last 48hrs of feed or similar, and maybe that's how they could determine the time and therefore location of where to search?

Most places I have worked keep a few days to a week of multiple-camera security footage. I don't think it is a stretch to expect a ship to do the same.

36 minutes ago, 1kaper said:

And in order to lay a charge they’d have to be able to prove it was in their jurisdiction.  

one of the first things in a trial is proving jurisdiction. 

First there would need to be an investigation. We know the earliest he could have gone over. We really aren't sure of the latest - he could have gone over after being reported missing. There should be a good approximation of how much alcohol he was served from the bar receipts. I think obviously not a great deal of time or money is going to be spent on investigating.

• Thanks 1

On 11/25/2022 at 7:24 PM, keels81 said:

I know Alaska has a boarded pilot captain. And given how the Mississippi River works, I *assume* cruise ships have a boarded pilot captain to get them down the river.

So maybe something closer to water level was open and a guy just wandering was able to get out and get to the water without suffering a major injury? Because there's just no way he could be able to be treading water and waving his arms like that.

I do triathlons and marathon open-water swims and I can't even imagine doing that after "jumping" off a ship.

There are river pilots that board the vessels in the river going both ways.  Usually, a pilot gets on in New Orleans and then switch out at Pilot Town which is further down the river until they get in the pass.  

2 hours ago, rcandv said:

There are river pilots that board the vessels in the river going both ways.  Usually, a pilot gets on in New Orleans and then switch out at Pilot Town which is further down the river until they get in the pass.  

Thanks! I imagined so since most ships need a river pilot, but wasn't sure how long they guided the ships out. I was on the Valor in January and that was the only time I stayed up late enough to watch us (inbound) pass the Glory (outbound) but never remembered a stop or seeing the switch out.

I'm now more convinced than ever it had something to do/occurred around the pilot leaving the ship. *puts on tinfoil hat*

12 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

When you state "every generation", you're implying every person born between date A and date B.  The me generation I'm referring to deals with selfish people that has nothing to do with when they were born, it has everything to do with their core values.

Well that kind of makes the "generation" part irrelevant.

But my generation, the "Boomers" is the ultimate "me" generation of the 20th, and so far 21st, centuries. We are the ones who gave ourselves expanded and indexed Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, and welfare without paying for it and leaving the cost to future generations. We are the generation that greatly reduced the percent of the cost of college paid for by government and replaced it with loans to be paid for by the future generations of college students, and on and on...

• Like 3

12 hours ago, icft said:

Well that kind of makes the "generation" part irrelevant.

But my generation, the "Boomers" is the ultimate "me" generation of the 20th, and so far 21st, centuries. We are the ones who gave ourselves expanded and indexed Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, and welfare without paying for it and leaving the cost to future generations. We are the generation that greatly reduced the percent of the cost of college paid for by government and replaced it with loans to be paid for by the future generations of college students, and on and on...

Those for pointing this out, and reminding us. I liked it when we were referred to as "baby boomers". Now many refer to us as "senior boomers"😬!!!

3 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

While we'll probably never know the facts from the guy's viewpoint, and if he was drunk, he probably doesn't recall.  But he definitely owes his life to the crew on board that bulk carrier.

If he was drunk, I find it harder to believe that he was able to stay afloat without some kind of floatation device.

On 11/27/2022 at 10:19 AM, BlerkOne said:

First there would need to be an investigation. We know the earliest he could have gone over. We really aren't sure of the latest - he could have gone over after being reported missing. There should be a good approximation of how much alcohol he was served from the bar receipts. I think obviously not a great deal of time or money is going to be spent on investigating.

We actually do have a general idea of the latest he could have gone over due to where he was found. He was found just south of the mouth of the Mississippi River. If he had gone overboard much later, he would have been further out in open ocean.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pyxie said:

We actually do have a general idea of the latest he could have gone over due to where he was found. He was found just south of the mouth of the Mississippi River. If he had gone overboard much later, he would have been further out in open ocean.

unless there was a boat waiting to meet him and relocate him.

Edited by BlerkOne