Wonder of the Seas - Medical Diversion, delay

sharktums

On 11/26/2022 at 5:07 PM, Deez123 said:

Sitting at airport, waiting to board.  Got the text but no email.   From this thread I see RCL knew about this 24 hrs ago.   Do better RCL.  You know full well many people leave day prior and you sat on the info.  1/7 refund is not enough.  Now I have to book another hotel room and food for another day.   I’m sure it won’t be 1/7 either, there will be some BS reason why it’s not that amount. Fees/taxes etc

They don’t bother to refund port charges any more either. 

edit:  Some additional context for my anger here.  Originally booked for Dec.   They swap ship and downgrade us from 2 Bedroom grand suite with no comp.  4 weeks later they cancel the cruise… why?  They are using the ship for promo purposes.  BS.  Gave 1 option for same itinerary at retained price.   That’s this cruise.   Which by the way had sky high airfare due to holiday 

1/7 if we get it, doesn’t cover the “fixed” costs of parking and airfare for a shorter trip.  Maybe $100 OBC for my $10k fare would be in order. 

This is why people need to buy travel insurance. I’m sorry but it’s not the cruiselines responsibility for people not buying this. FWIW if you are in UK you have to prove you have travel insurance to board a ship in UK maybe they should start making it mandatory here as well.

• Like 1

On 11/26/2022 at 5:59 PM, renza said:

Ports can be cancelled often because of bad weather. It’s not like they thought ok let’s make everyone be ready for their day at Coco and cancel. They actually look at weather and seas and hope they can make it happen. Sometimes they can sit for hours and then let you get off because it clears up. Don’t know why you would wait in line for internet when obviously you know it’s down. I am sure the captain did not know how delayed the ship would be delayed until after he is back out sea under way. Whether the got in at 4 or 7 pm on Sunday, you can assume there will be know flights on Thanksgiving weekend, therefore you could assume you would not be going to work. You are flying during the busiest time of year so if you think you could lose your job because you couldn’t be there Monday you don’t choose a Sunday cruise. Chill relax and enjoy an extra sea day. 

Agree entirely. Maybe I have different perspective as we cruise regularly, but our daughter has a remote job and is in College. I would never ever book her on a cruise when she had to rely on internet to meet a deadline or complete an exam as it is just not that reliable. 

We were on Harmony and the internet was down and we were told it was fleet wide . It was down for hours, and that was when Hurricane Ian was headed for our daughters house and we were trying to stay in touch to make sure she was okay. If you are in the middle of the ocean please do not expect 100% reliable internet. 

People also have to realize that this isn’t just about getting a ship back to port and letting people off. They have to have customs and immigration officers available to clear passengers, as well as reschedule porters, check in agents etc to assist with debarkation and the new revised embarkation. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Deez123 said:

Because more goes into a vacation.   I probably wouldn’t have laid out over $2k in airfare and parking for a 6 day trip.  

if position was reversed and you couldn’t make the ship due to an airline delay or medical emergency, would RCL refund you?   Nope.  They keep 100%.   Not too much to ask for a little something to recognize this caused a lot of expense and hassle for the 12k people without the medical emergency.   

That’s what insurance covers

16 hours ago, Deez123 said:

Correct.   Ours will not.  Why?  Because we were made aware of the delay BEFORE we left.  Actually as we were getting in the car to head to airport. 

I checked fights and price went from $500pp to $800pp (x4) to switch days.  Plus we would loose hotel night and parking for the day anyway.  

Made more sense to take the original flight and pay for another hotel night. 

Most reputable insurances will cover trip delay and additional expenses.

15 hours ago, Starry Eyes said:

Remember: If one of you family members has a medical emergency at sea this week, Royal Caribbean will inconvenience 12k people to take care of your loved one.  Surely your beloved are worth it and you would not want it any other way.  As a fellow guest I accept that.  If you cannot accept it, select a different form if vacation; cruising is not for you.

In fact, it did not have to be a passenger on the ship.  Hypothetically had Wonder of the Seas (or any other cruise ship) been the closest ship to a distressed vessel at sea, she would have diverted to render aid to a fellow mariner, which might hypothetically inconvenience you on future cruise.  If you don’t like that, don’t cruise.

You are supposed to buy travel insurance if you want a refund if You have a medical emergency or airline delay. Cancel for any reason insurance is also available; it would be employed in all sorts if circumstances such as itinerary changes.

Royal Caribbean encouraged people to purchase travel coverage.

Agreed and if the complainers were the ones whose loved one had the medical emergency I wonder if they’d still be complaining  about the ship being delayed after RC did everything they could to look after their family member.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Club33 said:

well people paid for this cruise so not really sure why they should be grateful? That’s the dumbest way of thinking. If you pay for something, you expect to receive. Medical emergency can happen and change thing and that’s okay but your logic doesn’t make any sense.  Anyways, everyone will be getting off in a few hours anyways so all will be right in the world once again. 

I believe the point they were making, as was I, is that when you put it in perspective, anyone who has the ability to cruise in the first place should be grateful. People are complaining about being inconvenienced, plain and simple. If someone is on the ship and got an extra day, which they did not pay for, they especially should be grateful. I do feel badly for the folks who had their vacation cut short, but, all the complaints about additional hotel costs is ridiculous. RC is refunding their cruise fare for the day, which is at least $400 for two people, which is enough to get a PREMIUM hotel room in the area. 

Cheers! 

• Like 4

I think it’s kind of impossible to satisfy everyone in a situation like this. Royal Caribbean certainly doesn’t want to have to shell out money and have dissatisfied customers, but a passenger’s medical emergency is completely out of their control. I’m proud of them for doing the right thing and getting the person medical care, even though it cost them a fortune to do so. There will be people who are ecstatic at getting an extra day, as I would be if I were in that situation. There will also be people, however, who will be negatively affected financially with flight costs and/or missing an extra day of work. There will be people stressed who are having to solve childcare and pet care situations back home. The situation is awful for many people, but it is definitely not Royal Caribbean’s fault, and I think they are trying to make as many people happy as possible. I know if I or a loved one had a medical emergency that necessitated immediate care on land, I would sure hope whatever cruise line I was sailing on, would make the right call for me. I would feel bad for all of the impacted passengers, but ultimately, life-saving care is more important. To those who received an extra day, I hope you had a fabulous bonus day of vacation, and that you did not incurred too many  added expenses or stresses. To those about to board, I hope that you cram seven days of fun into six days! Most importantly, to the person receiving critical care, and his or her loved ones, I pray for a successful recovery!

• Like 14

1 hour ago, Wheels87 said:

I believe the point they were making, as was I, is that when you put it in perspective, anyone who has the ability to cruise in the first place should be grateful. People are complaining about being inconvenienced, plain and simple. If someone is on the ship and got an extra day, which they did not pay for, they especially should be grateful. I do feel badly for the folks who had their vacation cut short, but, all the complaints about additional hotel costs is ridiculous. RC is refunding their cruise fare for the day, which is at least $400 for two people, which is enough to get a PREMIUM hotel room in the area. 

Cheers! 

Why is it ridiculous? That $400 was spent for a vacation to have fun on… Not to sit in a hotel room cooped up bored and still having to shell out even more money for food.  We lost an entire day and a port of call. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Club33 said:

Why is it ridiculous? That $400 was spent for a vacation to have fun on… Not to sit in a hotel room cooped up bored and still having to shell out even more money for food.  We lost an entire day and a port of call. 

Do you want them to not take care of someone medically?  Seriously?  If it was you or your family member that was sick/injured, you wouldn't care about the lost day or a port, but since it's someone you don't know...

BTW, there is lots to do in the Orlando/PC area.  We just spent 5 days precruise in PC and went on a boat ride, hung out by the pool, tried new restaurants, etc.  There's the KSC, Brevard Zoo, other tours.  You're only sitting cooped up in a hotel because you choose to.

Edited by BND
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Club33 said:

I lost a day just like you. I would gladly give it up to ensure someone get the medical care they need. Royal is paying you back for the day kissed so not sure what the big complaint is. Some here fell like when Royal makes any type of move it is an opportunity to make something or get something for free. We got on board today and I will have a blast no matter what! 

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Spurschick said:

Agree entirely. Maybe I have different perspective as we cruise regularly, but our daughter has a remote job and is in College. I would never ever book her on a cruise when she had to rely on internet to meet a deadline or complete an exam as it is just not that reliable. 

We were on Harmony and the internet was down and we were told it was fleet wide . It was down for hours, and that was when Hurricane Ian was headed for our daughters house and we were trying to stay in touch to make sure she was okay. If you are in the middle of the ocean please do not expect 100% reliable internet. 

People also have to realize that this isn’t just about getting a ship back to port and letting people off. They have to have customs and immigration officers available to clear passengers, as well as reschedule porters, check in agents etc to assist with debarkation and the new revised embarkation. 

Plus all the deliveries for the next group of 6K+ that was to be delivered yesterday had to be changed to today and that’s not an easy task either. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

As one poster here said, they will be kicking them off at at 4am.😉

I think that what they really meant, if you want to leave at 400, you can. After all, if your car is at the port, you can go get it and be on your way.

• Like 2

Easiest debark yet for us. Overall an amazing vacation. Wonder is beautiful and there was more than enough to do. Food was meh compared to other ships but I was glad to see they upgraded the mattresses to something not made of concrete. 

Edited by myacuna
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, myacuna said:

Easiest debark yet for us. Overall an amazing vacation. Wonder is beautiful and there was more than enough to do. Food was meh compared to other ships but I was glad to see they upgraded the mattresses to something not made of concrete. 

I’ve seen a lot of complaints lately about food on here and Reddit. Is it mainly meat that’s not great, or the overall selection? 

Edited by Thisguylikestocruise

Debarking was literally the smoothest I've ever seen. When they called our number we got an empty elevator straight down the deck 5 and within 30 seconds we were off the ship. For everyone who complains that Oasis class ships are too large and too crowded has obviously he never seen what royal can do with a smooth debarcation process.

Overall we had an amazing time on this trip. Overall the entertainment was good although we have seen better. The food was very very good, but we did upgraded dining and never set foot in the main dining room one time on the entire voyage.

For all the people who complained about this and that, we had an amazing vacation. 

Edited by jrapps
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, Thisguylikestocruise said:

I’ve seen a lot of complaints lately about food on here and Reddit. Is it mainly meat that’s not great, or the overall selection? 

We just got off Jewel 9 days ago from a b2b.  The beef isn't great, especially the strip steak but other items weren't great either.  My DH was very disappointed the first night he ordered the Apple Blossom Tart.  It's now basically apple pie with none of the taste of the tart.   Mozz sticks were sometimes mozz, sometimes an unidentified cheese.  As Jewel had just come from Europe, they had English Sausages that they called hot dogs and the hamburgers were very thin.  The only thing I heard people praise the entire 13 days was the seafood.  Quality has gone way down, even since our July cruise on EN.   I've seen some of the same complaints about other ships so it's definitely a supplier issue which they need to fix.

So, I must have missed it, but what time is Wonder due to leave today?

14 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Here in the USA royal does NOT have that policy. I was on liberty and we tried to dock but the 6 ft waves were too high to dock. We got back $0 in port fees.

I wrote to mbayley office and received a email they have no company policy to refund port fees for missed ports. They dont charge extra if they go up, nor down. On the ship you may get port fees back, it's up to the ship. My ship said weather related, no obc. I still have the letter. So the policy is fluid here, whatever the ship decides. 

It is law of the land here at this side of the pond. Timed port stay not used money belongs to the ones whom paid them: Passengers. All the companies are very efficient on doing it, otherwise they'd face national court rooms here. And, as far as I understand consumer protection acts are higher here as well. Prices might to reflect those higher protections on our side, sure, but at least we have them and wonderful we have them. Basically services not provided equal full refund on them here.

2 minutes ago, Nunagoras said:

It is law of the land here at this side of the pond. Timed port stay not used money belongs to the ones whom paid them: Passengers. All the companies are very efficient on doing it, otherwise they'd face national court rooms here. And, as far as I understand consumer protection acts are higher here as well. Prices might to reflect those higher protections on our side, sure, but at least we have them and wonderful we have them. Basically services not provided equal full refund on them here.

That would be port fees and taxes.  Your cruise fare, while including ports doesn't cost "per port" but it does cost "per cruise night".   They are providing the service by providing the cruise.  How exactly do you price out a port?  

18 minutes ago, BND said:

We just got off Jewel 9 days ago from a b2b.  The beef isn't great, especially the strip steak but other items weren't great either.  My DH was very disappointed the first night he ordered the Apple Blossom Tart.  It's now basically apple pie with none of the taste of the tart.   Mozz sticks were sometimes mozz, sometimes an unidentified cheese.  As Jewel had just come from Europe, they had English Sausages that they called hot dogs and the hamburgers were very thin.  The only thing I heard people praise the entire 13 days was the seafood.  Quality has gone way down, even since our July cruise on EN.   I've seen some of the same complaints about other ships so it's definitely a supplier issue which they need to fix.

So, I must have missed it, but what time is Wonder due to leave today?

Imo the food on jewel should be lower level and less varied than wonder. I haven't ordered that apple blossom dessert in ages, it's all crust and a spoon of apple if you dig. Never been anything but too much crust imo.

Really hope the food on oasis class is more varied and better than jewel! Better be. I'm on allure sunday and if it's not more varied I'll be vastly disappointed. I've been looking forward to more food choices and better food.

Edited by firefly333