Meds to take on a cruise, if you get Covid

SAKay

Hello All, 

I hope someone can help me.  A while back I saw a good list of meds and things you should take on a cruise, to help you in case you get Covid.

I thought I saved the list - Nope !  

I tried to find it on here - Can't find it ! 

Did anyone else happen to save it ?  Could you please post it on here ?

I greatly appreciate the help !!

Dayquil (pill form)

Nyquil (pill form)

Fever reducer/headache meds

throat lozenges

cough medicine

visine

nose spray

thermometer

I would also bring:

pepto

imodium

I like ginger tablets for seasick feelings but I also bring Bonine just in case

Be sure to pack the wrappers from the above back in your suitcase and dispose of at home.

• Like 3

I never saw the list but on my cruise recently I packed:

Finger oxygen sensor

Ear thermometer

Nyquill and Dayquill

Tylenol

Mucinex

Cough drops and sore throat lozengers

Edited by Coral
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Keksie said:

Dayquil (pill form)

Nyquil (pill form)

Fever reducer/headache meds

throat lozenges

cough medicine

visine

nose spray

thermometer

I would also bring:

pepto

imodium

I like ginger tablets for seasick feelings but I also bring Bonine just in case

Be sure to pack the wrappers from the above back in your suitcase and dispose of at home.

That's the list of things that I've been bringing pre-Covid too.  I have a small zippered case that all of that fits in (plus bandaids).  It's come in handy in the past when we've developed colds / flu on the ship.  Our doctor used to give us just in case Z-Pak too but with Covid that's not particularly helpful.

I know you asked specifically about covid, but I got a super bad cold (RSV possibly) on the Ruby last month.   I packed a bunch of stuff for in case I got covid,  but I used almost everything I brought.    Here's what I went through:

cough drops

Musinex

Nyquil

Alka Seltzer Cold

Immodium

Many people got the cold crud this trip and the store was out of lots of items to help.   What you could find was very expensive.   Also, another passenger bought cough drops and the next thing they knew, medical was at their cabin asking them to do a covid test (which was negative as was I five times).   I went thru 3 bags of cough drops.    My point is, plan for a cold and not just covid.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, cruzin4us said:

Many people got the cold crud this trip and the store was out of lots of items to help.   What you could find was very expensive.   Also, another passenger bought cough drops and the next thing they knew, medical was at their cabin asking them to do a covid test (which was negative as was I five times).   I went thru 3 bags of cough drops.    My point is, plan for a cold and not just covid.

Interesting.

• Like 1

I have cruised four times this year and always bring:

pulse oximeter

thermometer

Z-pack

prednisone

Tamiflu

DayQuil/Nyquil/cough syrup

Mucinex DM

plenty of Covid tests

Advil

Tylenol

lozenges

Imodium

gatorade packets

and on an upcoming 10 day, I may even pack my nebulizer (I have asthma)

Edited by seagunthera
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Guaifenesin (chest congestion) with dextromethorphan (cough), such as Mucinex DM or a generic. 

Sudafed or other decongestant 

Analgesic for pain/fever (I use ibuprofen)

Benadryl (antihistamine)

Most cold/cough compounds are some combination of these active ingredients. We take just what we need for the symptoms we have so we are not over medicating. 

I also take numbing throat lozenges, decongestant nasal spray and tissues with lotion. 

• Like 6

our last 7 cruises we took pretty much what is suggested above, never had to use anything (kock on wood)

we have a cruise in January, will take the cough drops, and Nyquil.   -trim down the list a lot

we still take a first aid kit with band aids, wrap, etc. - but it is a small emergency kit

• Like 1

We too pack meds for all possible illnesses, well before Covid age. Maybe I overlooked but I didn’t see any masks listed. We’re packing masks for our 12/26 cruise. Expecting it to be full. We wear masks when out locally in stores so why shouldn’t we take on ship. Not a political statement, 

personal guidelines of late. Stay well all! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, azbirdmom said:

I have a small zippered case that all of that fits in (plus bandaids). 

a SMALL case doesn't work for us.

All of the meds - prescription and OTC, first aid (DS tends to get injured while horsing around), a fortune in bandaids, all the vitamins and minerals (especially magnesium), all the cough syrups, ointments and hydrocortisone, thermometer, oximeter, stomach meds, etc. 

Next thing you know - we have 5 (!) gallon sized plastic zipper bags which go into a separate backpack... 4 prior to the pandemic, since we didn't need a bag just for cough drops and cough syrups.

I had a horrible cough when I got covid on our last cruise. It was so bad that muscle in my entire body were hurting from expanding and contracting so much. Not the same as body aches - this was on top of the body aches. So, I consumed a ton of cough drops with 12 hour dextromethorphan pills just to get me through the day or night.

P.S. I now also bring plastic gloves to use at the buffet. I've seen many many times when people sneezed right into their hand and then went on to use public utensils to get food at the buffet. No, thank you. 

P.P.S. We've been using lysol wipes to wipe the entire cabin ever since we started traveling with a kid...

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, JoRoy218 said:

We too pack meds for all possible illnesses, well before Covid age. Maybe I overlooked but I didn’t see any masks listed. We’re packing masks for our 12/26 cruise. Expecting it to be full. We wear masks when out locally in stores so why shouldn’t we take on ship. Not a political statement, 

personal guidelines of late. Stay well all! 

I must report that we wore masks on our cruise last week when indoors, unless actively eating. Very few people did the same. Some of the crew members wore masks as well.

We also wore them on our flights. A gentleman on the same flight with us even asked for one - we had plenty of extra masks (a pack of 50).

We didn't get covid this time, and it is all that counts.

• Like 3

The last two times I had Covid (not on a cruise but at home) OTC meds did not work for me except a nighttime med like Nyquil to help me sleep better. My symptoms were all sinus and fatigue, no cough. For me, extra tissues like the travel Kleenex packs are a must. When we travel we bring Pedialyte electrolyte powder travel packs and add to water. I live in Maui and our stores don’t carry these so I ordered on Amazon. These are great for electrolyte replacement and hydration. Especially for long flights and illnesses. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

a SMALL case doesn't work for us.

All of the meds - prescription and OTC, first aid (DS tends to get injured while horsing around), a fortune in bandaids, all the vitamins and minerals (especially magnesium), all the cough syrups, ointments and hydrocortisone, thermometer, oximeter, stomach meds, etc. 

Next thing you know - we have 5 (!) gallon sized plastic zipper bags which go into a separate backpack... 4 prior to the pandemic, since we didn't need a bag just for cough drops and cough syrups.

I had a horrible cough when I got covid on our last cruise. It was so bad that muscle in my entire body were hurting from expanding and contracting so much. Not the same as body aches - this was on top of the body aches. So, I consumed a ton of cough drops with 12 hour dextromethorphan pills just to get me through the day or night.

P.S. I now also bring plastic gloves to use at the buffet. I've seen many many times when people sneezed right into their hand and then went on to use public utensils to get food at the buffet. No, thank you. 

P.P.S. We've been using lysol wipes to wipe the entire cabin ever since we started traveling with a kid...

Yes re: sneezing/coughing at buffet! Ugh! Packing those gloves are a great idea! 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TrojanGal said:

The last two times I had Covid (not on a cruise but at home) OTC meds did not work for me except a nighttime med like Nyquil to help me sleep better. My symptoms were all sinus and fatigue, no cough. For me, extra tissues like the travel Kleenex packs are a must. When we travel we bring Pedialyte electrolyte powder travel packs and add to water. I live in Maui and our stores don’t carry these so I ordered on Amazon. These are great for electrolyte replacement and hydration. Especially for long flights and illnesses. 

If you get dehydrated an easy remedy is to open up a can of coke to let the fizz out ,say overnight out of the fridge, it's got every thing in it to hydrate you.

• Like 1