Are soda packages worth the cost?

Tntt

For our upcoming 7 night cruise on WOS , a basic soda package is 8.99 a day it will be about 75.00  total. In my opinion this price is a little steep. We normally just drink the free beverages when we cruise but this will be our 1st 7nt cruise and i dont know if I can just drink free lemonade and tea everyday for 7 days. I thought about maybe just buying sodas when needed but sodas on the ship are like 4$ a can..... will it be cheaper to just buy the drink package? is the basic soda package worth the cost? 

We have gone both ways on this. Juice is free for breakfast and I'm fine with lemonade or fruit punch for lunch. However, it was nice to have a regular stream of sodas (and refills) at dinner. 

You're not hearing it from me, but keep in mind those freestyle cups can be a giant loophole. I'm guessing a lot of family members with the soda sticker on their card are not the same ones holding the cups.

If you purchase the soda package, after the first night ordering a soda with dinner (MDR) they will remember you have the package and many times have your soda's ready or at least they don't check your card or have to sign a bill each time.  A soda with lunch and dinner eats up $8 of that $8.99.

For us it's worth it.  Even if we break even or come out a few dollars short on "getting our money's worth" the convenience is worth it.

We normally get 2 or 3 soda packages between our family of 5.

Dan

Edited by The Fun Researcher
  • Like 1

it totally was for us! I bought a soda package for my 11 yo for the first time last summer as a present for his elementary school graduation (yay!). On the Allure it was totally worth it  because of the freestyle coke machine - any soda, any flavor, even seltzers, any time. He drank a lot - it's a vacation.

I have just purchased a soda package for him for our upcoming April cruise for $7.99 per day (Black Friday).

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Like 2

Depends on what you want to drink really. We always get one for our dau but tbh she dosnt always use it fully.

As for me, i stick to the free drinks as windjammer open most of the day, and coffee as well. Water i just ask for ice water from bar. Not.into fizzy drinks and dont drink alcohol anymore. But its totally up to you and what drink you prefer. 

2 hours ago, mmtska said:

For me? Yes, it's worth it. I drink way too much soda, which I know is unhealthy, but meh. Plus the Freestyle machines have more than just soda, so I'm all for that too. 

Dropped in to post exactly that. 

The Freestyle machines are a game-changer (and at a per-unit purchase cost of $60,000, it's not surprising).   You have SO many options with the machines...when they work and when they are routinely refilled with flavors.  Where else can I get a Raspberry Diet Coke?  🙂  

Considering the package comes with a nice souvenir cup and access to the machines -- as opposed to having to visit a bar and getting a soda from a grumpy bartender who feels he's wasting his time on a non-revenue transaction --  at $9/day it's a no-brainer.   I'll be getting it on our music charter cruise in January...where alcoholic drink packages are not offered at all.  😮  

The only drawback is carrying that souvenir cup around everywhere on the ship...and inexplicably, Royal doesn't sell a cup-holder for them.  They'd make an additional mint if they offered an over-the-shoulder or baldric-style cup holder like amusement parks have.   I just wear a string backpack and put the cup in there.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Pellaz said:

The only drawback is carrying that souvenir cup around everywhere on the ship...and inexplicably, Royal doesn't sell a cup-holder for them.  They'd make an additional mint if they offered an over-the-shoulder or baldric-style cup holder like amusement parks have.   I just wear a string backpack and put the cup in there.  

I'm bringing my Halloween Horror Nights holder with me. I also have a holder that I got from amazon, but that works better when I can clip it on to a backpack. I'm tempted to buy the Christmas holder from Universal so my mom has a holder lol. (I live close to the Orlando theme parks so it works out well)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Pellaz said:

Dropped in to post exactly that. 

The Freestyle machines are a game-changer (and at a per-unit purchase cost of $60,000, it's not surprising).   You have SO many options with the machines...when they work and when they are routinely refilled with flavors.  Where else can I get a Raspberry Diet Coke?  🙂  

Considering the package comes with a nice souvenir cup and access to the machines -- as opposed to having to visit a bar and getting a soda from a grumpy bartender who feels he's wasting his time on a non-revenue transaction --  at $9/day it's a no-brainer.   I'll be getting it on our music charter cruise in January...where alcoholic drink packages are not offered at all.  😮  

Those things cost $60,000?  They should have a better processor and more RAM.  I find the screen navigation a tad slow.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Pellaz said:

Exactly for this reason. If you order soda at a bar or restaurant you will only get Coke or Diet Coke (Coke Zero if you’re lucky), in the cola family. I like Coke Zero with Lime or Lemon during the day and Caffeine Free Diet Coke in the evenings.  Yes I consider myself a Coke connoisseur 😀.  I have ordered the soda package on all my Oasis class cruises because of the convenience and variety of the Freestyle machines.  Cost is not even a consideration.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, The Fun Researcher said:

That still stands correct?  Up to twelve 16.9oz (maximum) bottles or cans per passenger of non alcoholic beverages can be brought onboard as long as they are in a separate travel case like a backpack or suitcase?

Yes, you are still permitted those 12 containers per stateroom.  They don't have to be in a "separate" case, but you do have to carry them on.

• Thanks 1

If not interested in alcohol, we book the non-alcoholic beverage package.  We get special coffee's, water and non-alcoholic drinks.  We enjoy the frozen types of drinks on a hot afternoon.  We also take spec water and cans of soda to our stateroom or on a shore X.  IMO worth it.  We do not drink the machine offerings.  We wouldn't carry soda or bottled water on board.

Edited by Cruise a holic
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, TheHawk1 said:

Exactly for this reason. If you order soda at a bar or restaurant you will only get Coke or Diet Coke (Coke Zero if you’re lucky), in the cola family. I like Coke Zero with Lime or Lemon during the day and Caffeine Free Diet Coke in the evenings.  Yes I consider myself a Coke connoisseur 😀.  I have ordered the soda package on all my Oasis class cruises because of the convenience and variety of the Freestyle machines.  Cost is not even a consideration.

Coke Zero lime is on a different level. Sooooooo good

• Like 2

Personally, IF I drank a lot of soda, I would still not bother with schlepping a bunch of cans or bottles onboard...simply not worth the hassle...especially since, on a 7 night cruise, you are going to run out soon enough anyway...

At $75 or so, if you're a big time soda drinker, you will easily get your money's worth...

If $75 is a big deal to you, try making it through the cruise with iced tea--just order it with each meal--it's free...or get it at the buffet whenever...Plenty of free alternatives to soda.

For me, as a Diamond Plus, I get 5 free drink vouchers a day...I COULD use them for soda...which I do...I just have them add a shot of bourbon to each one!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 12/6/2022 at 9:27 PM, soremekun said:

Those things cost $60,000?  They should have a better processor and more RAM.  I find the screen navigation a tad slow.

Well, they cost that much to purchase outright a few years ago, but most eateries leased them for $300/month instead.  (Around me in Atlanta, Zaxby's routinely has them and Burger King often does, as well as scattered and smothered Wendy's locations, Six Flags Over Georgia, etc.)   

I will sometimes choose a drive-thru based on the presence of a Freestyle machine at that restaurant (there is a model adapted for drive-thru use) , so in that respect, the extra cost might be slightly -- VERY slightly -- worth it.  🙂  

• Like 2

On 12/8/2022 at 3:42 PM, ButterflyGirly said:

It is worth it to me even if I don't drink enough soda to break even (which I usually don't!).  That is the question you need to ask yourself....if you don't drink at least $8.99 of soda/day are you going to be upset?

Keep in mind that shipboard sodas cost $3 or $4 apiece.   If the OP thinks they'll be drinking more than 3 sodas in an entire day, then it's worth it.   The included souvenir cup and the presence of Freestyle Coke machines just makes it a no-brainer, IF you intend to drink sodas...in my case, Raspberry Diet Cokes.  😄 

• Like 4

On 12/7/2022 at 5:59 AM, Cruise a holic said:

If not interested in alcohol, we book the non-alcoholic beverage package.  We get special coffee's, water and non-alcoholic drinks.  We enjoy the frozen types of drinks on a hot afternoon.  We also take spec water and cans of soda to our stateroom or on a shore X.  IMO worth it.  We do not drink the machine offerings.  We wouldn't carry soda or bottled water on board.

The Refreshment Package is exactly what we get, even though we also enjoy cocktails. The specialty coffees being included makes it break even for me everytime because I will get three or four each day. Plus we love the freestyle coke machines so we can get flavored waters and teas. Then we just pay ala carte for the cocktails. Right now the beverage package starts at $73/day vs. $22/day for the refreshment package on our upcoming Symphony OTS sailing. My guess is most passengers on RCCL would come out ahead if they went with the Refreshment Package, but they don't do the math and just give free money to RCCL. 🙂

• Like 2

On 12/8/2022 at 2:39 PM, RandomUser123 said:

Worth is a relative term. My advice is if you want it just get it. Sure you can bring a 12 pack on board per passenger but you on vacation, get that soda package and enjoy some orange lemon cherry coke from the freestyle machine.

It’s actually per stateroom NOT per passenger. Otherwise. I totally agree. If you enjoy a couple with each meal and more during the day it is worth it for you.