How to get to Miami port from Ft. Lauderdale airport

djtx2

Just got my air from NCL for trip on the Encore 2/12-2/19.   You know, the BOGO?  We are coming in a day early as we live in Chicago and give ourselves a day just in case.  NCL is flying us with 1 stop which isnt too bad, but dumping us at Ft. Lauderdale airport.,  After several conversations with NCL today, they pretty much told me I was on my own getting to Miami.  Shuttles cost $87.00 plus tip!!!

Anyone have any suggestions for a less expensive way besides the bus to get to Miami.  If I had known this, I would never have taken the "free air"

Cruisers beware!!!  They can put you in Ft. Lauderdale or Miami,  any number of stops, and anytime day or night.  NOT worth all this aggrevation!!!

• Like 1

Brightline train line goes from FLL to MIA. Have a look at their website. I think it’s about $25 and runs at least hourly.  Could be convenient depending on where your hotel in Miami is located. Curious what airline they have you on. My sister flies in on 2/24 for cruise on 2/25.  I’ll already be in Miami Beach so I rented a car for one day to pick her up and then drop off the car at port the next day. 

Mostly for the adventure, I have flown into FLL > shuttled to the Tri Rail train station > took the Tri Rail down to MIA Transit Center > took the airport train to the terminal > took a hotel shuttle bus to my airport area hotel.  Not the fastest alternative, but only cost about $11, I think.  Still had to then pay a taxi or Uber the next day to get to the cruise port.  About $28 for that, I think.  Plus tip. 

Lately, car rentals have gotten expensive.  However, I've rented a car at PBI and returned it to a location near the terminal (Hertz, but you could probably do Enterprise as well.)  They then offered a shuttle to the terminal.  Did it going back as well.  You might want to price it out.  For multiple people it may be worthwhile.  Certainly if you come in the day before, it's also handy to have a car around.

There have been countless warning threads about the BOGO.  I suppose it's fine for people who have a LOT of flexibility but is rarely worth the savings.

Edited by phillygwm

1 hour ago, djtx2 said:

Just got my air from NCL for trip on the Encore 2/12-2/19.   You know, the BOGO?  We are coming in a day early as we live in Chicago and give ourselves a day just in case.  NCL is flying us with 1 stop which isnt too bad, but dumping us at Ft. Lauderdale airport.,  After several conversations with NCL today, they pretty much told me I was on my own getting to Miami.  Shuttles cost $87.00 plus tip!!!

Anyone have any suggestions for a less expensive way besides the bus to get to Miami.  If I had known this, I would never have taken the "free air"

Cruisers beware!!!  They can put you in Ft. Lauderdale or Miami,  any number of stops, and anytime day or night.  NOT worth all this aggrevation!!!

Nothing to "beware" about, had you read when the offer entails you would have known that NCL can and will use sister airports.  As far as a shuttle goes, try these folks https://miamiportshuttle.net/rates.  Remember next time read what it is you are buying before making the purchase.

• Thanks 1

I would be pleased!! Fort Lauderdale is a much nicer airport, easier to get into and out of and TSA is much faster.

I live halfway between the 2 airports and would take an extra connection over having to go through Miami!

The distance to Miami Port is not that far, Uber would be reasonable.

• Thanks 1

We booked our own air and elected to fly into FLL to cruise out of Miami. The times were better and we prefer FLL to MIA. From the Uber website and staff at our FLL hotel, it looks like Uber will be about $35.

On 12/12/2022 at 7:15 PM, gmbhardy said:

If you’re staying over in FLL, you can reserve a ride with a host of shared ride shuttle companies. We use MJS Transport, $15/person each way. Super dependable.

Just looking at MJS transport to take us from Port of Miami to FLL.  We have a 1230 pm flight (to Canada).  They said that the earliest shuttle departing from the port 'usually' leaves by 830.  When you used them, was there a wait (for example for the shuttle to fill up) before the shuttle left?

3 hours ago, peacefrogdog said:

Just looking at MJS transport to take us from Port of Miami to FLL.  We have a 1230 pm flight (to Canada).  They said that the earliest shuttle departing from the port 'usually' leaves by 830.  When you used them, was there a wait (for example for the shuttle to fill up) before the shuttle left?

They have shuttles at the port quite early. Soon as you call them you’ll be picked up. The van fills up pretty quickly and it’s only about a 45 minute drive. We’ve had flights at FLL around your departure time and got there with plenty of time to spare.

I fly out of Midway to FLL, get a hotel in Fort Lauderdale then have SAS pick us up at the hotel for a ride to POM. Go to ridesas.com, they have a list of hotels that they pick up from. The price is $15.00 per person each way. After your cruise they will pick you up at the port & take you to FLL. I have used them many times.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/25/2022 at 9:29 PM, surfone said:

We always fly in to FFL for our Miami cruise departures.  Uber/Lyft each time.  $25 to $35.   

I'll assume you use Uber/Lyft when you return to FLL as well. Do you request it before you get off the ship while you gathering your luggage or once you are outside? Thanks

3 hours ago, ajmac01 said:

I'll assume you use Uber/Lyft when you return to FLL as well. Do you request it before you get off the ship while you gathering your luggage or once you are outside? Thanks

We wait until we are through customs and then I request the ride. 

• 4 months later...
On 12/21/2022 at 1:17 PM, peacefrogdog said:

@peacefrogdog

How did you find the transfer ?

Were they ontime  or did you wait  for the shuttle to fill up?

We  need  a shuttle in the fall  POM to FLL  

Thanks for any input

@LHT28 We ended up booking SAS transport.  Arranged 9 AM pickup.  We had to wait maybe 10 min to board the vehicle after getting through customs (and the only reason it took that long was because the driver had to circle around because the airport staff wouldn't let him park. Ended up at FLL by 945. 

6 minutes ago, peacefrogdog said:

@LHT28 We ended up booking SAS transport.  Arranged 9 AM pickup.  We had to wait maybe 10 min to board the vehicle after getting through customs (and the only reason it took that long was because the driver had to circle around because the airport staff wouldn't let him park. Ended up at FLL by 945. 

Thanks  for the reply

You don't have to take NCL's flight. You can always book your own and pay for it. That is up to you. By taking the NCL offer, you leave it to them to choose airline, flight times, and airports. It will be about $50-$75 for an Uber each way.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/13/2022 at 1:46 AM, Illbcruzn4life said:

yes ridesas.com is very good and dependable. Have used them many times and have them booked for April as we have a flight into FLL but we are sailing from Miami. I chose this way because it was cheaper.

May I ask....did you use this service on the day of your cruise....we are flying into FLL (cannot come in day before)