Heard rumors about drink vouchers

Ret MP

12 minutes ago, meadowlander said:

I was confused about the new voucher hours, since corrected but I am confused on this statement. If day 8 is not the departure day for guests, when do you get off the ship?  On day 7 as the ship is heading back to port of origin yet still at sea???

They were talking about the vouchers, you get 7 days worth of vouchers on a 7 day cruise, so day 8 is not a day for departing guests to get vouchers.  That is how I read that post.

1 hour ago, meadowlander said:

I was confused about the new voucher hours, since corrected but I am confused on this statement. If day 8 is not the departure day for guests, when do you get off the ship?  On day 7 as the ship is heading back to port of origin yet still at sea???

Day 1 is embarkation around 10:30 (night #1)

Day 2 (night #2)

Day 3 (night #3)

Day 4 (night #4)

Day 5 (night #5)

Day 6 (night #6)

Day 7 (night #7)

Day 8 disembarkation from 7-7:30 AM

This is how 7 days cruise looks like.

So all services should be provided for 7 days.

Breakfast on Day 8 is a breakfast missing from Day 1 as embarkation happens right before lunch time.

Diamonds, D+ and Pinnacles receive 4, 5 , 6 drinks daily for 7 days. 
I didn’t even know it was available on Day 8.

Edited by Tatka

1 minute ago, Biker19 said:

The perks working that day are not unique, Voom and drink packages also work like that. 

Voom is working a bit differently I think. 
You embark later on Day #1 than you disembark on day #8. 
So it’s 7 times of 24 hours use.

1 hour ago, Oxo said:

Diamond+

Why not just give me 5 vouchers per day X number of days (cruise) and let me decide when to use them. What difference would that make? This way, I may only want 3 drinks one day and want 7 another day. It would still amount to 5 vouchers per day X number of cruise days. 

Because RCI "profits" with your example of 2 unused vouchers and 2 extra full price drinks. 

• Like 1

On 12/15/2022 at 5:31 PM, Tatka said:

It is a 7 days cruise so the very last day (#8) is not a day for departing guests.

33 minutes ago, Tatka said:

This is how 7 days cruise looks like.

Technically, cruises are not by "days", they are by "nights".

You don't take a 7 day cruise, you take a 7 night cruise. At least by RC terminology. Check the website wording.

So if vouchers are "per day", embarkation and disembarkation can both be considered "days", even if they are not full days.

And yes, I know beverage packages and wifi in the cruise planner are listed as "per day" and when they charge it, the multiply by the number of nights, not number of days.

47 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

Because RCI "profits" with your example of 2 unused vouchers and 2 extra full price drinks. 

I understand that. However, would you like to see that happen? Who would not?

46 minutes ago, RobInMN said:

Technically, cruises are not by "days", they are by "nights".

You don't take a 7 day cruise, you take a 7 night cruise. At least by RC terminology. Check the website wording.

So if vouchers are "per day", embarkation and disembarkation can both be considered "days", even if they are not full days.

And yes, I know beverage packages and wifi in the cruise planner are listed as "per day" and when they charge it, the multiply by the number of nights, not number of days.

We just returned from our #55. I’m well aware of how days count. But last day is still #8 on 7 night cruises. 

And Royal didn’t cut anything from 7 x 5 drinks. Folks were getting more drinks than their were supposed to after midnight on 7th night 
Additional 

• Like 2

Just now, nelblu said:

I'm usually in a hurry to get off the ship on debarkation day and never noticed so I'll ask a stupid question--Are any bars open on debarkation day?

Not usually, but you might be able to get alcohol added to a specialty coffee. 

2 minutes ago, nelblu said:

I'm usually in a hurry to get off the ship on debarkation day and never noticed so I'll ask a stupid question--Are any bars open on debarkation day?

Considering that day used to change at 12 am.. bars were still open I guess. We never used it.

5 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Not usually, but you might be able to get alcohol added to a specialty coffee. 

So, a minority is causing this consternation.  Let them order the alcohol the night before and take it to their cabin.  Then they can enjoy it on debarkation day with their coffee.

When the HH was from 5-5:30 to 8-8:30 I use to go to a bar and get myself a few diet cokes.  Used the next day for lunch, etc.   Not very hard to do.

Edited by nelblu

31 minutes ago, nelblu said:

So, a minority is causing this consternation.  Let them order the alcohol the night before and take it to their cabin.  Then they can enjoy it on debarkation day with their coffee.

When the HH was from 5-5:30 to 8-8:30 I use to go to a bar and get myself a few diet cokes.  Used the next day for lunch, etc.   Not very hard to do.

It isn't really so much about debarkation morning as it is more about getting an extra few drinks after midnight on the last night for the night owls.... when the bars are very open.

For me, I like the new policy.  I don't care about the vouchers being available during the early morning of debarkation day because I have driven to and from the port on every cruise but one and I don't need to drive drunk and I don't.  However, if I stay up a little late, after midnight, the night before debarkations, it would be nice, and now it is available, to use my voucher(s) after midnight.  Being a newbie to the D and no experience, I'm not even sure if voucher drinks were available after midnight the night before debarkation, if not, this new way is good.     

Disclaimer:  This is how I feel.  I'm not trying to change anybody's mind about what is wanted or not wanted.  This is just a post on a social media thread and has no nefarious intent.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tatka said:

Diamonds, D+ and Pinnacles receive 4, 5 , 6 drinks daily for 7 days. 
I didn’t even know it was available on Day 8.

Nor did I until I read on these boards that others had used vouchers on the day of debarking. I then asked on a ship & was told the voucher was good on the morning of departure. I used a voucher only that one time on debarking morning.

Edited by meadowlander
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Steeler Nation At Sea said:

This statement perfectly illustrates the change is a subtraction from, rather than an enhancement to the guest benefits.

I can see how 1-2% of cruisers could feel screwed by this new policy.  For example, a D+ goes thru all 5 vouchers on day 7, and on the old policy, if he stays up past midnight partying the evening before disembarkation, at midnight he would get a fresh batch of vouchers to continue partying into the night.  Is this the concern of a subtraction from benefits?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Husky1987 said:

Amazing that people who get $500 in value think they're getting screwed because they can't get $505.

Well, to be argumentative, if you had 79 days, Royal would not say, "Oh, you're close enough -- let me give you some drinks."  This is business, and a line is drawn somewhere.  

5 hours ago, Oxo said:

Diamond+

Why not just give me 5 vouchers per day X number of days (cruise) and let me decide when to use them. What difference would that make? This way, I may only want 3 drinks one day and want 7 another day. It would still amount to 5 vouchers per day X number of cruise days. 

Again, I'm being argumentative, but I think it'd pay Royal to give you X number drinks for the whole cruse ... on Day 1.  Most people, if they have free drinks available, will slurp 'em up right away.  Then they'll want more and will pay.  Just my thought.  Might or might not be true.  

• Like 2

On 12/15/2022 at 3:54 PM, mugtech said:

Email told me the drink vouchers day has been changed from Midnight to Midnight and is now 5 Am to 5 Am.  As a person who is not yet diamond and I have not had a drink since 1989, I am so happy to be kept up to date on the alcohol nonsense.

Made Diamond in the 90's and also don't Drink... Long as no changes to the C&A SOLO 340+ I'm ok...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wineaux007 said:

I can see how 1-2% of cruisers could feel screwed by this new policy.  For example, a D+ goes thru all 5 vouchers on day 7, and on the old policy, if he stays up past midnight partying the evening before disembarkation, at midnight he would get a fresh batch of vouchers to continue partying into the night.  Is this the concern of a subtraction from benefits?

That fresh batch of vouchers at midnight  was also eliminating sales to RCL's benefit.  Hear me out.  Let's say some  cruisers who drink the alcoholic beverages do so on evenings where they can party a little harder and sleep in on a sea day next day.  Under the old plan, when they were already well lubricated they could continue drinking those higher cost alcoholic beverages,  at zero cost to them,  well past midnight with the new vouchers to draw from. They may even be having so much fun they use all of the next day's vouchers.  Who knows?   In the moment, they don't care how many they use from next day, because they will sleep late and not really feel like drinking.  So, hungover on the sea day, maybe they'll have just a cheaper beer or two paid out of pocket after a party night, or, not drink alcohol at all.

Now, with the "enhancement", they will still exhaust their freebies by midnight on the big party night, but, have to start paying for additional drinks then. This is decidedly NOT an enhancement to the cruise experience for some.  And I venture to guess it's far more than 1% to 2% that plan their consumption in this way.   This "enhancement" is purely to RCL's advantage and I bet after midnight adult beverage sales will see a big boost from it, in addition to the cost savings of the the final night's freebies. 

Edited by Steeler Nation At Sea

I can confirm that vouchers are not on your card on debarkation day.  I have always had a specialty coffee to get my day started.  When they slid my card, it did not list any vouchers.  The staff member was as shocked as I was, and was not informed of the new policy.  I never use all five of my vouchers and have not abused the policy, but I was not happy early in the morning.  This was on the Mariner and the DC coffee machine was out all cruise.

• Thanks 2