Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

Dunedin, Port Chalmers, New Zealand 08:00 - 18:00

Westerdam

Tauranga (Rotorua), New Zealand 8:00 AM To 5:00 PM

1220World.thumb.png.db0cd4e1d16dfaaf6976ba7a0e26ecec.png

• Like 24
  • Thanks 10

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily and Fleet Report.

We've got a big storm in the forecast for later in the week lasting until the weekend.  I want to make sure I have all my stuff done by Thursday so we don't have to go out for a few days.  I need a few groceries and a few stocking stuffers.

I won't go caroling (you're welcome 😉).

The meal sounds interesting but we're having spare ribs for dinner tonight.

Prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 25

Good morning  Dailyites.I made it home yesterday  by 8 pm and negotiated  stairs  amazingly well.There is more pain today but that is to be expected  after the " carpentry " of the hip surgery. The hospital  experience  was surreal as I had been there as a PT student 44 years ago.There has been much  new construction  and the staff could not have been better.

I remain so touched by the outpouring  of support  from everyone. It helps tremendously. 

fondly 

Terry

• Like 32
  • Thanks 4

Thank you for the Tuesday report, Rich.  Running very late with preparations for my physical this morning.  I love all 3 of today's days and Sydney is a great port.  Had a 3-day sojourn there in 20 between arriving on  Crystal Serenity and leaving on QM2.  I would probably take the port without the kale.  My alternative is Chilled Indian Lassi Soup, Chicken Breast with Prosciutto, Mozzarella, and Basil leaves, and Master Chef Sundae as served on MS  Prinsendam December 20, 2013.

Today’s care list:

smitty34877 recovering from hip replacement
pauline’s friend losing daughter
USN59-79 with leg fracture
Marshhawk DH family illnesses
StLouisCruisers DD recovering from foot surgery
From the rotation:
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1) and JAM37 (7/7)
HAL Sailer Sister in Law with aggressive cancer therapy
Cruisin Terri leak damage
Ottahand7 DB in rehab and trying to leave per-maturely

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Zaandam in Everglades

zdn1220.thumb.JPG.47deed185db2dfa9a381e96f29a8a2cf.JPG

Hannukah day3
smitty34877 at home doing well
HorizonChaser1957 temporarily in Fort Lauderdale
7 days for ottahand7 (Volendam 12/27 to 3/18/23)
2 days for Av8rix (Koningsdam 12/22 to 1/7/23)
2 days for richwmn {Zuiderdam 12/22 to 5/12/23)
SusieKIslandGirl (Island Princess to 12/22) and Cruisin Terri (Insignia  to 12/28) at sea
Cunnorl (Noordam to 1/2/23),  Kazu (Koningsdam  to 1/7/23 Damcruiser (Nieuw Statendam  to 1/14/23), Seasick Sailor (Rotterdam  to 1/25/23), indaler (Volendam  to 3/18/23) and  Horizon Chaser1957 (Zaandam to 12/20; Zuiderdam 12/22 to 5/12/23) at sea

Roy

• Like 21
  • Thanks 14

Good morning friends!  It's great to hear from Terry @smitty34877that she is fine and is doing as well as can be expected after such extensive surgery.  Enjoy being waited on for a while Terry!  Also very sorry for Pauline's friend's loss of family, especially her adult daughter.  Thank you Rich @richwmnfor the Daily today.  Nice group of days to celebrate and yet another use of kale in a recipe.  Thanks Roy @rafinmdfor the lists as well.  The Care list seems shorter but still sad to have one at all.  I am heading out later this morning to have my crown checked to be sure it is seated correctly since I had some problems early on, but couldn't go in just as I was leaving for our Amazon cruise.  Unfortunately it's raining some this morning, temp of 41F.  I hate going out in rain!  I guess I must consider myself sweet enough to melt or something.  😄

Today's port is Sydney, Australia and is a popular one.  Rich last posted it Sept. 27, 2021 and here is a link to that date for your convenience, posters.

We were lucky enough to see Sydney quite a few times on our trips down under.  In 2013 twice and four times in 2017 on our B2B2B2B cruises.  It's one of my favorite places on the planet to visit.  Here is an overview of the city's highlights.

Nov. 11, 2017.  Turnaround day so we were exploring.  That is not our ship (which was the Sun Princess).  We were docked at Darling Harbor and took a ferry over.  I believe the ship in the photo was a Carnival ship.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLsz3RJRPxTCy7rbqcUmU3G?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513616592

Here is a photo of us leaving Darling Harbor to sail under the Sydney Harbour Bridge, same day.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL_0cmSqucYF6qMT_C7NKh7?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513620074

Then the Sydney Opera House.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIO0yVjRPgpeGTFhdGYx9ep?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513616700

A ship at Circular Quay, downtown and the Opera House.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLZ4ZWG5WADhPQtYFydX8lp?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513616732

People climbing the Sydney Harbour bridge.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIiYm-F0w03A2SvvfcpDHYF?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513616613

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJx2TW06YWL7RunQ_fNiy_s?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513616641

The ferry docks00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKU0BOWAZCl3Ctax63lVV17?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513616639

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKDWaz7_HdCdkBSEWAfCqNw?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513620062

This photo was taken Dec. 3, 2013 while there on Diamond Princess.  Taken from a pylon on the Harbour Bridge.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJWzf3vzAyJDjemgPULLvMU?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388704758

The pedestrian walk on the Harbour Bridge.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLzU5H_GIq0Ztj4fWgrG3pq?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388704812

Looks like if you take this tour you might get wet!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJFewxExul5bVAwhj4Sukvy?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388704863

We ran into our friend Marion from Brisbane (CC friend) while walking towards the Opera House.  Several of my CC friends met us the day before when we got off the ship, to have a drink at a nearby cafe.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIrGXHXedQ7kHZ7_ssThu8s?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388704869

A closer view of the Opera House roof.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKEJNJIyy9QeWoQZfe2AHOM?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388704925

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLSN12gURq2L61cxwbUOiJZ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388704919

Have a good, productive day everyone!

• Like 21
  • Thanks 9

44 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning  Dailyites.I made it home yesterday  by 8 pm and negotiated  stairs  amazingly well.There is more pain today but that is to be expected  after the " carpentry " of the hip surgery. The hospital  experience  was surreal as I had been there as a PT student 44 years ago.There has been much  new construction  and the staff could not have been better.

I remain so touched by the outpouring  of support  from everyone. It helps tremendously. 

fondly 

Terry

Good to hear you are doing well. Your turn to be waited on for a bit! 

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Pumpkin Bourbon Cider cocktail:

Ingredients
2 parts Basil Hayden's® Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
3/4 part fresh Lemon Juice
1/2 part Vermouth, Sweet
1/4 teaspoon Superfine Sugar
3/4 part Pumpkin Puree
6 dashes Angostura® Bitters
2 parts Hard Cider, Dry
Garnish with fresh, grated Nutmeg
Garnish with Cinnamon Stick

Instructions
Combine pumpkin puree, superfine sugar, sweet vermouth, bitters and lemon juice into a mixing glass. Stir until sugar is nearly dissolved. Add Basil Hayden’s® Bourbon and ice. Stir well and strain into a cocktail glass. Top with dry hard cider. Garnish with grated nutmeg and a cinnamon stick.

Screenshot 2022-12-20 at 7.33.14 AM.png

• Like 14
  • Thanks 12

10 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  It's great to hear from Terry @smitty34877that she is fine and is doing as well as can be expected after such extensive surgery.  Enjoy being waited on for a while Terry!  Also very sorry for Pauline's friend's loss of family, especially her adult daughter.  Thank you Rich @richwmnfor the Daily today.  Nice group of days to celebrate and yet another use of kale in a recipe.  Thanks Roy @rafinmdfor the lists as well.  The Care list seems shorter but still sad to have one at all.  I am heading out later this morning to have my crown checked to be sure it is seated correctly since I had some problems early on, but couldn't go in just as I was leaving for our Amazon cruise.  Unfortunately it's raining some this morning, temp of 41F.  I hate going out in rain!  I guess I must consider myself sweet enough to melt or something.  😄

Today's port is Sydney, Australia and is a popular one.  Rich last posted it Sept. 27, 2021 and here is a link to that date for your convenience, posters.

We were lucky enough to see Sydney quite a few times on our trips down under.  In 2013 twice and four times in 2017 on our B2B2B2B cruises.  It's one of my favorite places on the planet to visit.  Here is an overview of the city's highlights.

Nov. 11, 2017.  Turnaround day so we were exploring.  That is not our ship (which was the Sun Princess).  We were docked at Darling Harbor and took a ferry over.  I believe the ship in the photo was a Carnival ship.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLsz3RJRPxTCy7rbqcUmU3G?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513616592

Here is a photo of us leaving Darling Harbor to sail under the Sydney Harbour Bridge, same day.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL_0cmSqucYF6qMT_C7NKh7?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513620074

Then the Sydney Opera House.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIO0yVjRPgpeGTFhdGYx9ep?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513616700

A ship at Circular Quay, downtown and the Opera House.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLZ4ZWG5WADhPQtYFydX8lp?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513616732

People climbing the Sydney Harbour bridge.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIiYm-F0w03A2SvvfcpDHYF?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513616613

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJx2TW06YWL7RunQ_fNiy_s?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513616641

The ferry docks00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKU0BOWAZCl3Ctax63lVV17?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513616639

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKDWaz7_HdCdkBSEWAfCqNw?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513620062

This photo was taken Dec. 3, 2013 while there on Diamond Princess.  Taken from a pylon on the Harbour Bridge.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJWzf3vzAyJDjemgPULLvMU?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388704758

The pedestrian walk on the Harbour Bridge.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLzU5H_GIq0Ztj4fWgrG3pq?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388704812

Looks like if you take this tour you might get wet!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJFewxExul5bVAwhj4Sukvy?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388704863

We ran into our friend Marion from Brisbane (CC friend) while walking towards the Opera House.  Several of my CC friends met us the day before when we got off the ship, to have a drink at a nearby cafe.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIrGXHXedQ7kHZ7_ssThu8s?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388704869

A closer view of the Opera House roof.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKEJNJIyy9QeWoQZfe2AHOM?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388704925

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLSN12gURq2L61cxwbUOiJZ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388704919

Have a good, productive day everyone!

Thank you for your kind words Sandi and your fantastic photos of Sydney Australia.

Graham.

• Like 14

Thank you for today’s Report & Daily, Rich! Hope your trip prep is going smoothly. 
Warmer, but cloudy this morning. Rain is predicted for later today. 

Roy, thank you for keeping our lists! @smitty34877 Terry, so happy to read all went well yesterday. I applaud you for even attempting stairs! Hope the pain subsides quickly. 

Today I am visiting Stetson Mansion to tour the rooms decorated for the holiday. This home built by the man who created Stetson hats is decorated each year by his descendants. I am excited to visit for the first time. 

2D8CD6E4-AA14-4AF8-B9B4-8F4226474A2D.jpeg.fc16ca4057653459caf2f45c6c5a0fb1.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating. 

Get well & stay well everyone!

DuMOL 2018 Cabernet Sauvignon (Napa Valley) Napa

This Cab has some fans. Very good - superb ratings from both consumers and critics. Available from several online distributors with prices starting at $89.00. 

Winemaker Notes

From the magnificent 2018 vintage, this classic Napa vineyard blend shows elements of both modern and traditional Napa Valley Cabernet styles. The wine is beautifully textured and layered with an expansive, mouth-filling palate and broad enveloping tannins, but this richness never comes at the expense of detail or freshness. There’s an intriguing seamless complexity that one would expect from a blend of vineyards; each site complements the next, layering nuance on top of power, breadth alongside elegance. The wine has evident volcanic-soil, cool-climate markers: intense floral lift, fragrant bay laurel, and woodsy potpourri notes. But it’s the fruit core from the warmer up-valley vineyards that leads the charge: ripe, dark, plush, and chewy with an extended arc of flavor and a subtle opulent finish.

Highly perfumed, exotic floral aromas intersperse with blackberry, plum, sweet thyme, and spiced clove. The palate is fruit-focused with black cherry and dark cassis notes alongside a sense of crushed stone. Cedar, pencil lead, and sweet tobacco notes shine through with a touch of bittersweet cocoa. Power matched with elegance offers a balanced opulence with myriad nuances. The wine’s natural density and well-defined tannins promise an aging potential of 12+ years.

WE98 Wine Enthusiast
A lovely, 100% varietal wine aged 20 months in French oak, this is juicy, herbal and offers a substantial foundation of power. Cedar, tobacco and tomato leaf accent a core of crushed rock, dark plum and threads of acidity—the weight and structure lifted by underlying freshness. This is a good candidate for cellaring; enjoy best from 2028 through 2038.
CG91 Connoisseurs' Guide

This very attractive effort hits all the right notes from its showy black cherry and curranty first aromas to its energetic flavors and long, tannin-firmed finish. It is the kind of wine that some folks will enjoy young while others will be equally pleased with older versions that seem certain to age nicely over the next half-dozen years and more. It is, in a word or two, damn nice, and offers a look at DuMol Cabs at a slightly lower cost.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 7
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, smitty34877 said:

@grapau27,  I am so sorry  to hear of the passing of Pauline's  friends daughter.My condolences to all of you.

Thank you Terry.

I'm happy to hear your operation was successful and send you our very best wishes for a full recovery and no pain.

Graham.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Pumpkin Bourbon Cider cocktail:

Ingredients
2 parts Basil Hayden's® Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
3/4 part fresh Lemon Juice
1/2 part Vermouth, Sweet
1/4 teaspoon Superfine Sugar
3/4 part Pumpkin Puree
6 dashes Angostura® Bitters
2 parts Hard Cider, Dry
Garnish with fresh, grated Nutmeg
Garnish with Cinnamon Stick

Instructions
Combine pumpkin puree, superfine sugar, sweet vermouth, bitters and lemon juice into a mixing glass. Stir until sugar is nearly dissolved. Add Basil Hayden’s® Bourbon and ice. Stir well and strain into a cocktail glass. Top with dry hard cider. Garnish with grated nutmeg and a cinnamon stick.

Screenshot 2022-12-20 at 7.33.14 AM.png

Thank you Dixie for giving every days drink a full description of its content and how it's made.

Graham.

• Like 13

8 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Thank you for today’s Report & Daily, Rich! Hope your trip prep is going smoothly. 
Warmer, but cloudy this morning. Rain is predicted for later today. 

Roy, thank you for keeping our lists! @smitty34877 Terry, so happy to read all went well yesterday. I applaud you for even attempting stairs! Hope the pain subsides quickly. 

Today I am visiting Stetson Mansion to tour the rooms decorated for the holiday. This home built by the man who created Stetson hats is decorated each year by his descendants. I am excited to visit for the first time. 

2D8CD6E4-AA14-4AF8-B9B4-8F4226474A2D.jpeg.fc16ca4057653459caf2f45c6c5a0fb1.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating. 

Get well & stay well everyone!

DuMOL 2018 Cabernet Sauvignon (Napa Valley) Napa

This Cab has some fans. Very good - superb ratings from both consumers and critics. Available from several online distributors with prices starting at $89.00. 

Winemaker Notes

From the magnificent 2018 vintage, this classic Napa vineyard blend shows elements of both modern and traditional Napa Valley Cabernet styles. The wine is beautifully textured and layered with an expansive, mouth-filling palate and broad enveloping tannins, but this richness never comes at the expense of detail or freshness. There’s an intriguing seamless complexity that one would expect from a blend of vineyards; each site complements the next, layering nuance on top of power, breadth alongside elegance. The wine has evident volcanic-soil, cool-climate markers: intense floral lift, fragrant bay laurel, and woodsy potpourri notes. But it’s the fruit core from the warmer up-valley vineyards that leads the charge: ripe, dark, plush, and chewy with an extended arc of flavor and a subtle opulent finish.

Highly perfumed, exotic floral aromas intersperse with blackberry, plum, sweet thyme, and spiced clove. The palate is fruit-focused with black cherry and dark cassis notes alongside a sense of crushed stone. Cedar, pencil lead, and sweet tobacco notes shine through with a touch of bittersweet cocoa. Power matched with elegance offers a balanced opulence with myriad nuances. The wine’s natural density and well-defined tannins promise an aging potential of 12+ years.

WE98 Wine Enthusiast
A lovely, 100% varietal wine aged 20 months in French oak, this is juicy, herbal and offers a substantial foundation of power. Cedar, tobacco and tomato leaf accent a core of crushed rock, dark plum and threads of acidity—the weight and structure lifted by underlying freshness. This is a good candidate for cellaring; enjoy best from 2028 through 2038.
CG91 Connoisseurs' Guide

This very attractive effort hits all the right notes from its showy black cherry and curranty first aromas to its energetic flavors and long, tannin-firmed finish. It is the kind of wine that some folks will enjoy young while others will be equally pleased with older versions that seem certain to age nicely over the next half-dozen years and more. It is, in a word or two, damn nice, and offers a look at DuMol Cabs at a slightly lower cost.

Thank you for your excellent description of every wine of the day.

Graham.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Good morning Daily-ites! 

Graham I'm so sorry to hear of Pauline's friends DD. How tragic.

Terry I'm pleased you were able to tackle the stairs and pray for your continued recovery.

Prayers for the California earthquake victims, and those on board the flight to Hawaii yesterday. As well as dangerous forecast for them.

Roy I appreciate your tenacity on 2 of our Daily friends who went missing in July.

Dixie that is one heck of a recipe for the Daily cocktail.

We are headed to Half Moon Cay. The weather was lovely an hour ago but looks like clouds building.

Last night we had dinner in MDR. My lamb shank fell off the bone. Delicious. Allen said his prime rib was flavorful but chewy.

We took a big loss at Trivia last night. Not even sharing our score..

Have a blessed day.

1219221943_HDR.thumb.jpg.c582c67372073c5c769939610f4ec5df.jpg1219221514.thumb.jpg.430e045a0138877f0e2acf2eb7320067.jpg

Edited by Seasick Sailor
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 8

Good morning -- very early morning here in San Diego.  I woke up and made the mistake of checking the news quickly.  There was an earthquake in Northern California.  That always makes a Californian nervous, so no going back to sleep.

Ferndale, where it was centered, has a lot of the old Victorian "Painted Lady" houses.  I hope damage is minimal.

Good to see that @smitty34877Terry is doing so well.  Take it easy, though, Terry.  Heal, heal, heal.  But you already know that.

I'd like to go caroling with a mug of Sangria, or a pumpkin bourbon cider cocktail.  Either would improve my voice, no doubt.  

@StLouisCruisers, Sandi, thanks for the wonderful photos of Sydney.  It's such a beautiful port, we'll probably see more today.

I'll check back in later.  In some places, the day is already well underway.  Wishing all a very good one.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Good morning Daily-ites! 

Graham I'm so sorry to hear of Pauline's friends DD. How tragic.

Terry I'm pleased you were able to tackle the stairs and pray for your continued recovery.

Prayers for the California earthquake victims, and those on board the flight to Hawaii yesterday. As well as dangerous forecast for them.

Roy I appreciate your tenacity on 2 of our Daily friends who went missing in July.

Dixie that is one heck of a recipe for the Daily cocktail.

We are headed to Half Moon Cay. The weather was lovely an hour ago but looks like clouds building.

Last night we had dinner in MDR. My lamb shank fell off the bone. Delicious. Allen said his prime rib was flavorful but chewy.

We took a big loss at Trivia last night. Not even sharing our score..

Have a blessed day.

1219221943_HDR.thumb.jpg.c582c67372073c5c769939610f4ec5df.jpg1219221514.thumb.jpg.430e045a0138877f0e2acf2eb7320067.jpg

Thank you Joy.

Lovely photo of yourself and Allen.

It is good to hear you are both having a fabulous time.

Graham.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1